Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553208 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2300 on: May 23, 2011, 12:58:07 AM »
I just finished the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. I would rank them in the order they came out.

1. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
2. The Girl Who Played With Fire
3. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

Average score: Four Stars

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: May 26, 2011, 09:48:03 PM »
Yeah that scene makes the movie. I still watch it occasionally on youtube.

I'm glad you watched it with subtitles. Foreign movies lose a lot of authenticity when dubs are used.

I don't watch enough foreign films to judge either way, but I am biased against sub-titles for the most part.

With that said, I'd still like to see this one again, dubbed, just for the heck of it - even if it won't compare.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: May 26, 2011, 10:34:54 PM »
hate subtitles?

idk i barely even notice subtitles, i guess ive trained my brain for subtitles
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: May 26, 2011, 10:56:25 PM »
I've watched so many horror films from across the sea that I couldn't help but get to where Big Werm is at. I hardly notice them now. I even use them for movies in english if they speak too fast or use a horrible accent (think Snatch).

I actually wish I could pop them on for shows on TV too. Shows where every word is important but the actors like to mumble. I find it funny, but also annoying. Like this.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: May 27, 2011, 12:26:32 AM »
subtitles are great for learning langauges too i picked up like 20 words watching Let the Right One in

which reminds me

Let Me In 9/10
Let the Right one in 8.5/10

the remake gets the higher score because some characters are better developed/have better scenes, or exist at all.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: May 27, 2011, 10:17:27 AM »
Last Movie I saw was the last Harry Potter movie.  Having read the books I think a Montage would have done justice to the majority of the material and it could have been 1 movie easily.  Especially since 3 and 4, the more dense books, were 1 movie when they really should have been 2 each easily.

Now I also watch Dawn Treader the Narnia movie.  It has the Narnia feel but a Teacher will know if you read the book or not if you did a book report with it.  It changes a lot while getting the general gist of it.  I think its still a good movie but out of all the Narnia books I think this was the one that could have been adapting pretty pure and make a good movie.  The First ones on the other had should have gotten the treatment Dawn Treader did.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: May 27, 2011, 04:00:42 PM »
Samurai Jack 9/10

Stumbled upon this the other day and I forgot how awesome this show was. Takes me right back to the Toonami era of my childhood.

I always thought this show was great but it is really incredible what each episode can do with 24 minutes. Most do more with that time than movies can with 90. I especially like the pacing of the show. Its very methodical for a cartoon and really makes for a unique experience. But if there was one thing I had to point to as the shows greatest attribute, it would be its sound design. When absent of music, the sounds play a huge roll when telling the story. Every little sound effect is meticulously placed. It's wonderful to hear. But just as good is when music is apart of the show. It's always original and perfectly sets the mood. And sometimes, I can't help but sing to it. It's that good. If you watch this show, do yourself a favor and make sure to wear some nice head phones or plug it in to your stereo.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:03:45 PM by The Unagi »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: May 27, 2011, 04:35:05 PM »
but it is really incredible what each episode can do with 24 minutes. Most do more with that time than movies can with 90.
I feel that way in general about good American Cartoon shows.  Japanese tend to like to have an arch that takes a while to tell.  Good American ones the episodes are self contained but their is an arc that spans all of them.  Also Cartoons everything has to have a purpose are it be a waste of time aka Money.  Anything in the Batman: The Animated Series Lineage falls under that.

I'm glad I'm not alone.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2308 on: May 27, 2011, 09:48:03 PM »
The Lost World: Jurassic Park

The original Jurassic Park is my favorite movie of all time. Even though I recognize the film's flaws (some of which are huge) it is overall a masterpiece--one of Spielberg's best films and THE best dinosaur movie ever made. A few years later, Crichton went back to the Mesozoic well and Spielberg came right along for the ride. David Koepp took Crichton's book and basically re-wrote it, made it more of a family picture, more of a survival story. He made it a lot worse.

The Lost World is an incredibly bad movie. It has  pacing problems, casting problems, effects problems, plotting and scripting problems, etc. The whole gammut of "bad movie problems" are here. The movie is promising for about twenty minutes between the opening scene and the call to action by John Hammond. After that, **** gets shitty. The effects scenes are...THERE, but everything looks muddy and out-of-focus. Part of this is because of the increased focus on pure CGI effects, whereas the first movie balanced CGI and animatronics. The most effective CGI is at the very beginning of the movie, with the family of Stegosaurus. Everything else is a muddy mess, even the tyrannosaurs and ESPECIALLY the raptors.

I'm not saying the book ("The Lost World") was a good book by any means (really...read it) but it's plot was better than the movie, more coherent, and had a lot more to do with the darker backstory of Jurassic Park. While the book provides Michael Crichton with an avenue to espout everything New he's learned about Dinosaurs since the first book, it also gives an interesting side of the geneticists and manufacturing of Jurassic Park and how the park came to be. The film, however, boils it all down into a "humans vs. people" chase story where everyone lands on one side of the island (crashes) and is trying to escape from the other side. Then, at the end, they ship a tyrannosaur to L.A. and Spielberg gets to film a Godzilla movie.

It's just a terrible movie all the way through. It's not worse than Jurassic Park 3, mind you, but JP3 is a whole different beast. It's a theme park ride where science was deliberately swept far, FAR funder the rug. But we'll get to that movie another day. The point here is that I hadn't seen The Lost World in at least six years and I finally did--by accident--on TV, and decided to suffer through. I can't recommend it.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: May 28, 2011, 06:10:03 PM »
The Fighter: 7.5/10

Pretty good, but I did not like the way they did the fights, and how do they not do the fights with Gatti? The beginning was too slow, and took too long to develop; I understood the family dynamic after the first twenty minutes, and they should have moved on from there. Anyway, it was still pretty good because the acting was top notch, and it's a good story, I was just underwhelmed.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: May 29, 2011, 02:30:11 PM »
subtitles are great for learning langauges too i picked up like 20 words watching Let the Right One in

which reminds me

Let Me In 9/10
Let the Right one in 8.5/10

the remake gets the higher score because some characters are better developed/have better scenes, or exist at all.

Agreed, the remake was more enjoyable because of the very points you mentioned; it actually made me wish I saw the original first instead of checking it out after seeing the US remake, I might not have been as disappointed otherwise.

Kung-Fu Panda 2:  7/10

Almost an 8/10 but something about Po's personality kept getting on my nerves. I felt he was dumber than the original but I haven't seen that since I saw it in theaters so who knows. I liked it, it was a cute movie just as the last one, had more touching moments than (from what I remember of) the first one.

I didn't mother seeing it in 3d as my experience with 3D animated movies tells me there's only 2 or 3 good stand-out scenes in 3d (no pun intended) and the rest is worthless but you can't take the glasses off or else everything will be blurry, blah.

I liked the ending; kinda cements the fact that Po was destined to be the Dragon Warrior and really wasn't just dumb luck, plus makes you wonder what they'll do in a 2nd sequel.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: June 01, 2011, 03:04:23 AM »
Goemon - 7.8/10

Movie I just found on Netflix streaming. They described it as having a sort of Robin Hood story with stealing from the rich to give to the poor, but that's mostly just in the beginning. How I would describe it, or atleast what came to mind as soon as I started watching it was Ninja Scroll meets Sin City (for the first 1/3) and Ninja Gaiden meets Sucker Punch at the end(last 1/3). The middle third is filled with story elements and slows down quite a bit, but over all I liked it alot.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: June 01, 2011, 04:07:54 PM »
I just finished the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. I would rank them in the order they came out.

1. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
2. The Girl Who Played With Fire
3. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

Average score: Four Stars

i give them somewhere between a 7.5 and an 8. Then again my dumbass watched them in the wrong order. My biggest complaint is they are too long, and could use some editing. the story is great, but yeah...long.

And Goemon...i want to check that out, because Goemon is Mystical Ninja

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: June 01, 2011, 10:17:20 PM »
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 5.5/10
The original X-Men movie basically fucked up the storyline for this one (when compared to the comics), but at least they went along with what X-Men 1 and 2 had laid out, so it makes sense for movie goers. I thought Dead Pool was pretty cool, but there was no need to make the blades come out of his hands, give him Cyclops' powers, or take away his most powerful weapon (his mouth). Also they made Sabertooth his brother...which isn't right...oh well. Actually the whole storyline was retarded now that I think about it. As far as in relation to the comic book series, I'd give it a 2/10, but for a movie it gets a 5.5/10.

Edit - thinking back, I rated it way too highly. It pretty much sucked, but it was still fun to watch. You really either need to be a non-comic fan, or just try to forget everything that you've ever seen in any X-Men or Wolverine comics for the movie to make any sense.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:39:26 AM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2314 on: June 02, 2011, 12:14:43 AM »
God, I hated it. Nothing about the movie was well thought-out, especially how they grafted adamantium to his bones. There were some truly awful special-effects moments in that movie too, including Wolverine slashing down the ladder, Deadpool falling down the cooling tower, and just some of the WORST green-screen backgrounds I've ever seen. Bar none.

Makes me really not want to see Xmen First Class, even though it's obviously a different movie. It just effs with the comics and the established movie timeline even more. I have more (but not much more) interest in the upcoming The Wolverine, where our boy goes to Japan to train with the samurai.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: June 02, 2011, 12:20:13 AM »
Hahaha

You know I saw Origins without the CG (pre-post-production...you heard me) and it was terribly awesome. It was horrible how fake it makes you realize Hollywood is, but it was awesome how dumb the actors looked. If I was anywhere on set, I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: June 02, 2011, 12:48:05 AM »
Hahaha

You know I saw Origins without the CG (pre-post-production...you heard me) and it was terribly awesome. It was horrible how fake it makes you realize Hollywood is, but it was awesome how dumb the actors looked. If I was anywhere on set, I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face.

Ahaha yeah I saw that version too. It was hilarious. It ruined the movie for me, but it was hilarious.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: June 02, 2011, 12:49:34 AM »
The more I see of Xmen First Class, the more I'm interested in seeing it.

And that BB deal is temping to go watch it in theater too instead of waiting for Netflixs

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: June 02, 2011, 01:26:19 AM »
The Town
I liked it a lot. Normally, I cringe when Ben Affleck is on screen but he did a good job in this movie, even though he managed to include that goofy smile of his that somehow makes it into every one of his movies. Blake Lively also did a great job, despite her lack of screen time.

Pirates of Silicon Valley
Not bad, just not that great. I feel like there's a better way to tell the story of Apple/Steve Jobs and Microsoft/Bill Gates. This definitely played out like a made for TV movie. So much has happened since this as made, I think much better filmmakers with a bigger budget could make a really interesting film.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Nothing new here. Jack Sparrow didn't seem as smart. In the first 3, you never knew if Jack was just rolling with the punches or if he had a grand plan, but he always seemed to be outwitting everyone. Not so much here. You basically just get Johnny Depp walking around funny and making weird faces which is what the Jack Sparrow character is known for, but not what makes him interesting and fun to watch.

The Hangover Part II
I definitely lol'd, but it's like the screenwriters wrote a summary of the first film, removed some nouns and adjectives and made a Mad Libs to write Part II. For example, instead of a baby and a missing tooth, you get a chainsmoking monkey and a tattoo. I read that they're planning a Part III. I don't think the concept can last another go around.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: June 02, 2011, 01:36:34 AM »
Yes the effects were horrible in X-M O: Wolverine, and the 45-second Adamantium skeleton surgery was completely retarded, but it was entertaining. Actually thinking back, I probably need to edit my score. It was more like a 5.5/10, I'm remembering more of the latter half and how stupid the storyline got.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: June 02, 2011, 04:36:19 AM »
i saw origins without cg too thanks to unagi, and i have to say it was better without effects

also pirates of silicon valley, it was better when it was new.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: June 02, 2011, 11:28:22 AM »
Hahaha

Ahaha yeah I saw that version too. It was hilarious. It ruined the movie for me, but it was hilarious.

No, I think the movie ruined the movie for you... just like it did for everyone else. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: June 02, 2011, 11:29:35 AM »
also pirates of silicon valley, it was better when it was new.
Definitely.  I ran the Computer Club at my High School at the time and we watched it on the Big projector.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: June 04, 2011, 07:06:21 AM »
Go and see first class. 

Oh, and there is nothing after the credits.  Trust me, I know.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2324 on: June 05, 2011, 01:19:37 AM »
Bridesmaids - Don't see this movie.

You'll go in thinking it's about some crazy bachelorette party, but it's...not at all. Instead, it's about how Kristin Wiig's life is a trainwreck and she goes around destroying her friend's lives (and her maybe new boyfriend). There are some funny moments, but this is not a FUNNY movie. It's kind of a chick flick, at the end of the day.