Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553205 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2275 on: May 15, 2011, 03:57:44 PM »
I've had a friend do that, but it was while we were playing UFC on Dreamcast and we were drinking tequila.

Fountain of Puke. it was nasty.

anyway. I've want to watch the fan edit and just sit through all 3 as one movie, but I can't find it anywhere.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: May 15, 2011, 09:17:12 PM »
UFC for Dreamcast is awesome.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: May 17, 2011, 10:34:11 AM »
i watched army of darkness before i watched the 2 evil dead movies...really you dont need to watch them to watch army of darkness. Its a New York Yankee in King Arthur's Court plot...

now you should watch evil dead before evil dead II, Evil Dead II is more like a remake to evil dead 1, evil dead is serious, evil dead 2 is more slapstick. Evil dead 2 is basically the same thing as evil dead...but self parody.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: May 17, 2011, 12:27:22 PM »
I wouldn't call Dead By Dawn a remake of the first film. It does recap a bit, but beyond that picks up where the first ended and continues onward.

Army of Darkness can stand on its own easily enough, however. Especially since it too has a brief recap.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: May 17, 2011, 12:56:55 PM »
I watched the trilogy compliation last nite. I think that was the first time I had seem EDII.

It's kinda funny how all 3 movies covers 3 different genres with the last 2 having an overlap.
EDI was a horror, EDII was more of a Horredy and AoD was more of an Adventure Comedy.

The fan edit is really seemless though and I tried to figure out where the splicing takes place, I had not seen all 3 movies and none of them except AoD all the way through, I just assume there were scenes from a sequel placed sometime before the end of the prequel to set up the introduction of new characters and set pieces. It took me 3 different watching though (kinda ironic) as it was really long and I was distracted by other stuff at the time or sleeping, but it was enjoyable.

About the endings I saw the original ending where he sleeps through time and wakes up about a century or 2 too late. what was the theatrical ending?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: May 17, 2011, 01:17:50 PM »
I watched the trilogy compliation last nite. I think that was the first time I had seem EDII.

It's kinda funny how all 3 movies covers 3 different genres with the last 2 having an overlap.
EDI was a horror, EDII was more of a Horredy and AoD was more of an Adventure Comedy.

The fan edit is really seemless though and I tried to figure out where the splicing takes place, I had not seen all 3 movies and none of them except AoD all the way through, I just assume there were scenes from a sequel placed sometime before the end of the prequel to set up the introduction of new characters and set pieces. It took me 3 different watching though (kinda ironic) as it was really long and I was distracted by other stuff at the time or sleeping, but it was enjoyable.

About the endings I saw the original ending where he sleeps through time and wakes up about a century or 2 too late. what was the theatrical ending?
If memory serves he goes back to his time and He's in s-mart and the evil thingies invade and he goes "Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart" blasts them all away but its been a while.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: May 17, 2011, 03:05:23 PM »
Finally got around to watching Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Blu-Ray, and yeah...it's still an excellent movie.  It drags in a few places (Rura Pente) and there are some plot holes with the conspiracy (at least one of the conspirators was informed of necessary information too late to be believably part of the conspiracy), but it's still a fine send-off to the Original Series cast.  I'm not sure now that I'd rank the movie higher than Wrath of Khan as my 3rd favorite Original Series Trek movie, but I did like the movie's conspiracy theme so perhaps I still would.  The transfer is a bit hit-or-miss, even for a DVD upscale.  There's a ton of grain in shots where it is dark (the scene late in the movie in sickbay is a fine example), and some special effects shots don't look quite right.  Still, it looks fine enough.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: May 17, 2011, 06:24:46 PM »

The theatrical ending flashes to Ash retelling his story at S-Mart, when he is attacked by one final Deadite. It ends with him killing the Deadite and getting the girl.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: May 17, 2011, 06:45:10 PM »
Undiscovered Country is easily my second-favorite Trek movie, right behind (and I mean right behind) Wrath of Khan. I actually wrote a paper about it in high school, regarding the end of the cold war allegory in the plot.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: May 17, 2011, 08:52:18 PM »
Undiscovered Country is easily my second-favorite Trek movie, right behind (and I mean right behind) Wrath of Khan. I actually wrote a paper about it in high school, regarding the end of the cold war allegory in the plot.

My order (Top 5) is probably:

1.  Star Trek: First Contact
2.  Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
3.  Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
4.  Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan
5.  Star Trek: Generations

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: May 17, 2011, 10:41:59 PM »
For me it's

1. Wrath of Khan
2. Undiscovered Country
3. First Contact
4. The one with the whales I know it's called The Voyage Home, that's just what everyone I know calls it.

I don't think any of the other ones are worthy of being in a top 5, so I'll just leave it at 4.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: May 18, 2011, 11:55:16 AM »
I'm sorry but their isn't a Generations Star Trek movie that belongs on anyone top anything list.  This is from someone who really loved TNG.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: May 18, 2011, 03:20:29 PM »
I'm sorry but their isn't a Generations Star Trek movie that belongs on anyone top anything list.  This is from someone who really loved TNG.

Sorry, but I can't rate Star Treks 1, 3, 5, Insurrection, Nemesis, or especially the new Star Trek in my Top 5.  Generations gets the 5th Spot pretty much by default.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: May 18, 2011, 03:26:17 PM »

Sorry, but I can't rate Star Treks 1, 3, 5, Insurrection, Nemesis, or especially the new Star Trek in my Top 5.  Generations gets the 5th Spot pretty much by default.
3 and 5 weren't that bad.  The new one I thought was really good for what it is but, I could live without the casting they did for Spock.  I think that ruined the movie.  The rest I thought where good. (I just don't like the emotional Enterprise style Vulcans.)  The first Star Trek movie was pretty bad.  I just need to rewatch all of them methinks.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: May 18, 2011, 05:11:44 PM »
The new one I thought was really good for what it is but, I could live without the casting they did for Spock.

Turn into a brainless Star Wars derivative? :(

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: May 18, 2011, 05:26:13 PM »
The new one I thought was really good for what it is but, I could live without the casting they did for Spock.
Turn into a brainless Star Wars derivative? :(
Thought it was better than Star Wars but, then again I'm not really a Star Wars fan.

Though I am interested in your reasoning for that.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: May 18, 2011, 06:47:38 PM »
They essentially turned Star Trek in a mindless action flick. There was barely any plot to speak of, and they entire thing was driven by over-the-top emotions and a weak villain. They were very clearly aiming for the "Star Wars crowd" while entirely ignoring Star Trek's pre-existing fanbase. If it weren't for Leonard Nimoy's presence, there wouldn't be a single point of interest for the true Star Trek fan.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: May 19, 2011, 05:18:01 PM »
They essentially turned Star Trek in a mindless action flick. There was barely any plot to speak of, and they entire thing was driven by over-the-top emotions and a weak villain. They were very clearly aiming for the "Star Wars crowd" while entirely ignoring Star Trek's pre-existing fanbase. If it weren't for Leonard Nimoy's presence, there wouldn't be a single point of interest for the true Star Trek fan.
I don't think that's a Star War Problem as much as current movies.  Think Fifth element and the like.  Not to mention that movie seemed to have a lot of an Enterprise Vibe to it, not a fan of Enterprise Which is a shame.  I like Scott Bakula..  I'm going to have to just rewatch the older ones again because I remember some of them being very much like that as well.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: May 20, 2011, 10:13:02 PM »
I saw Unforgiven at a theater last night. It was awesome. It looks gorgeous, Clint's a badass, the acting is great, the script is a marvel, but I was most surprised at the thematic similarities between this and No Country For Old Men. They have different things to say about consequences and go about them completely differently but the similarities are still there. Another similarity between Unforgiven and No Country is that they're both Best Picture winners that I wholeheartedly agree with.

I also recently saw Evil Dead II which is joy embodied in film.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: May 20, 2011, 10:18:01 PM »
I don't think that's a Star War Problem as much as current movies.  Think Fifth element and the like.  Not to mention that movie seemed to have a lot of an Enterprise Vibe to it, not a fan of Enterprise Which is a shame.  I like Scott Bakula..  I'm going to have to just rewatch the older ones again because I remember some of them being very much like that as well.

Hey, don't insult Enterprise by comparing it to that lens flare-d, brain-dead P.O.S.   ;)

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: May 20, 2011, 10:34:16 PM »
I just watched "The Tunnel" last night. I've been following its development for a long time now. Not because the early trailers looked particularly awesome, but because of the unique way it's been funded and distributed. The film was largely financed by people "purchasing" frames as it was filmed. Now that it's finished, it's been released in torrent form for widespread distribution, with the option of buying a DVD copy to support the crew. It's a bold move, one which Hollywood would never be intelligent enough to take (in any way, shape or form).

Anyway... The film itself is of the horror/suspense genre, but is presented as a documentary of sorts. It's not too different than other "found footage" type flicks. Think of it in line with The Blair Witch Project or Paranormal Activity. I'm not usually a fan of the style (with exception to The Last Broadcast), but if you are you'll find plenty to like. The production value are pretty good, though nothing to rave about simply due to the handheld style. There were some legitimately creepy scenes, and the pacing was general suspenseful. That said, the creature ultimately wasn't given enough context to be scary. I appreciate them going subscribing to the "less is more" school of horror, but I think they might have taken it a bit too far. Also, you know exactly which two characters are going to survive because they give post-incident interviews throughout the entire film. One or two scenes of the creature quickly swooping past or towards the camera looked kind of cheesy.

It's not a perfect film. It's not a revolutionary film. I don't regret having watched it though, and I applaud the filmmakers insightful approach to financing and distribution.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: May 22, 2011, 12:07:56 PM »
no, I don't think you got a general consensus at all. From what I remember, only 3 of us have seen the movie here and Dasmos is the only one that didn't like it.

(I know I'm late but) definitely not the consensus; I saw this movie, in IMAX, and of altered mind knowing full well what I was getting into. OK, so thats a lie; I had no idea what I was getting into, story wise, but I knew it was more flash than substance and I made the choice of paying my $6 and was FAR from disappointed. Oh and the soundtrack was almost 10/10.

There are so many movies I've seen since my last post here but I'm taking some special time out to advise anyone who hasn't to see this movie:

Ip Man 10/10;

My cousin told me about it on friday, he's a huge fan of martial arts movies. He tried to hype up the movie for about 20 minutes but the first sentence out of his mouth was enough to get me interested, and I watched the movie that same night and called him afterwards to tell him how right he was. Oh, that line i mentioned:

"it's based on Bruce Lee's wang-chun master"
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: May 22, 2011, 12:13:52 PM »
IP Man 2 is out on DVD. I haven't seen it yet, but you might want to check it out too.

Ip Man: BNM's review / Stogi's Review

In retrospect, I would probably give it a 9, but I don't tend to review movies right after I watch them most of the time, so excitement tends to fade like my recollection of specific events in the movie. The fight scenes are bad ass though and make you want to go study some martial arts just so you can publicly annihilate someone like that when the time comes.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:22:58 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: May 22, 2011, 12:21:30 PM »
IP Man 2 is out on DVD. I haven't seen it yet, but you might want to check it out too.

Ip Man: BNM's review / Stogi's Review

He (my cousin) told me he saw the prequel (Ip Man 2) but wasn't feeling it. I'll definitely check it out eventually and form my own opinion, but still; anyone else who hasn't seen Ip Man NEEDS to watch it.

Edit: you saw an english dub!? Lol i saw it with subtitles, which I normally hate, and STILL loved the movie enough to give it a 10/10.

I almost pissed myself when my dude, Ip Man, gave that flury of punches to one of the 10 japanese guys to the point that the dude was convulsing for the rest of the scene
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:24:16 PM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: May 22, 2011, 02:46:44 PM »
Yeah that scene makes the movie. I still watch it occasionally on youtube.

I'm glad you watched it with subtitles. Foreign movies lose a lot of authenticity when dubs are used.
black fairy tales are better at sports