Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553383 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2100 on: March 10, 2011, 04:41:56 PM »
The Thing 8/10

I'm surprised by how well the SFX hold up. Honestly, in some scenes, I was more impressed by them then any CGI. Maybe we should go back to old school SFX sometimes instead relying on CGI?

Anyway, the plot of the movie is outstanding. But it's weird. Having not read the book, I can tell from watching this movie that the suspense is way better in literature form. The movie had suspense, but not in an extremely gripping way. I'm guessing because the characters aren't fleshed out. Books have more time to round out characters to the point where you're second guessing yourself not because of anything logical, but because you feel like this person wouldn't do that. During the movie though, the only person my intuition was betting on was the main character, and that was because... well, he was the main character. Everyone else I was never less than 50-50 about.

But yeah, besides that...I loved how it ended. It so hard to end scary movies (especially these days where most horror plots are simply "SOMETHINGS GOING TO GETCHA"). I feel like unless there is an incredibly satisfying ending, the whole movie falls apart. I'm glad to say the movie didn't fall apart.

Check it out. It's old, but good.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:45:05 PM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: March 10, 2011, 05:26:30 PM »
CSA: Confederate States of America  7/10 interesting mockumentary

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: March 10, 2011, 06:25:01 PM »
The Thing 8/10

Just in time, the remake/sequel/prequel is supposed to be coming out this year (I think). Now you have something to base your criticism on.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: March 10, 2011, 06:32:19 PM »
I'm surprised by how well the SFX hold up. Honestly, in some scenes, I was more impressed by them then any CGI. Maybe we should go back to old school SFX sometimes instead relying on CGI?

Yes, yes, and yes! CGI never looks very impressive. Traditional F/X will stand the test of time.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: March 10, 2011, 07:06:57 PM »
@ThePerm

My favorite part of CSA was the commercials, I thought it was a great movie overall. I'm a big fan of history, and alternate history done right is always great in my book.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: March 10, 2011, 07:46:38 PM »
The Thing 8/10

Just in time, the remake/sequel/prequel is supposed to be coming out this year (I think). Now you have something to base your criticism on.

the good thing about The Thing is that they can always set the events parallel to the other events.

@Maryjane, it was interesting to find out at the end that some of the products had actually been real products at one point.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: March 10, 2011, 09:11:28 PM »
The Thing 8/10

The Thing is my favorite horror movie.  The concept and the amazing puppet sfx are excellent.  I am a huge John Carpenter fan and can't wait to see the new movie that he is making.  He stumbled (into pit of giant spikes covered with poison snakes) with his last movie but after I saw Absolute Fin de la Monde (Masters of Horror) I knew he still had it.

I recently saw the movie Monsters.  It's pretty good and unusual for an alien invasion/giant monster movie because you are brought in long after the monsters arrived and society has gotten used to them.  It wasn't what I expected at all and I was pleasantly surpised with the relationship between the two main characters.

The monsters themselves are really freaky looking.  You don't get to too many clear shots of them but  they are basically Cthulu heads on giant spider bodies giving them the freakyness of a spider and the otherworldly horror or Cthulu I know they look beautiful at the end but thats just because you can only really see the glowing lights.  If it was daytime those two would have ran back into that convenience store before they could blink.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:15:27 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: March 11, 2011, 12:36:10 PM »
Absolute Fin de la Monde..err Cigarette Burns was a pretty good episode, so was Pro-Life.

Actually, as an assignment I want someone to watch Pro-Life and then watch House of the Devil

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: March 11, 2011, 01:51:02 PM »
Pro-Life was better than a lot of the other episodes, but that's not saying much. Cigarette Burns was one of the best, however.

Actually, I was very surprised by Stuart Gordan's entries. Dreams in the Witch House and The Black Cat were easily among my favorite, despite never really liking a lot of his previous works (outside of Re-Animator and From Beyond).
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: March 11, 2011, 04:14:51 PM »
The Karate Kid(2010) 7.5/10
Pretty good, but the begining was slow, (minor spoiler alert) and I didn't like how quickly his girlfriend's father changed his mind. I understand not breaking a promise but he could have been a little more stern or disappointed about it.

The Ghost Writer: 8/10
Interesting movie that was kind of a slap in the face to Tony Blair. The ending was the best part, and the movie kept a good pace despite having two oddly obvious parts that took too long develop considering how obvious they were.

In the Line of Fire 7/10
Decent movie that was too long. The character building was too obvious, but the meat of the movie was good, and makes some of the movie's weaker moments bearable.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: March 11, 2011, 05:02:47 PM »
Dreams in the Witch house is the Lovecraft one right? That one was pretty good

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: March 12, 2011, 11:53:38 AM »
Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow 7.9/10

Just watched this at a friend's house. He DVR'd it last night, and I'm glad he did. I never heard it of before, and I thought because it was about the children of the Avengers, it would be corny, but it was actually quite good. There were some things I didn't like, which is why I gave it a 7.9, but overall it was good. A lot of good action, and a pretty good story.

***Spoiler Alert***
The story is that Ultron killed all the Avengers except for Thor, the Hulk, and Iron Man, who is protecting the kids before they fight Ultron. The children are the son of Black Panther and Storm (from X-Men), the daughter of Thor (Thor went back to Asgard, but makes an appearance in the movie), the son of Captain America and Black Widow, and the son of Giant-Man and the Wasp. The son of Hawkeye comes in later as well.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2112 on: March 12, 2011, 07:56:52 PM »
The Thing 8/10

The Thing is my favorite horror movie.  The concept and the amazing puppet sfx are excellent.  I am a huge John Carpenter fan and can't wait to see the new movie that he is making.  He stumbled (into pit of giant spikes covered with poison snakes) with his last movie but after I saw Absolute Fin de la Monde (Masters of Horror) I knew he still had it.

It's not just my favorite horror movie, it's one of my favorite movies, period. It's such a standout story from the perspective of a bunch of guys stuck in a small facility and none of them can trust each other. The effects are beyond effective, especially when you realize that they are all mechanical or stop-motion. I will ALWAYS appreciate traditional special effects more than CG effects. I bought the PS2 "sequel" game, and it's quite good too. The story takes a turn, and it's not clear why there are so many new Things, and the "trust" system is half-assed, BUT for fans of the film, it's a nice trip down memory lane, and most of the Thing creatures are pretty awesome.

The prequel to the film, which should come out in October, will be about the Norwegian camp. I'm effing stoked.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #2113 on: March 13, 2011, 01:13:41 AM »
Catfish 3/5
So I watched it thinking it was a fake documentary and it came off as a bit underwhelming with an ending that sort of fizzled out. And then the credits rolled and I thought "wait a minute, the movie was real!!" So I check some online things and yeah, according to the creators it is all true. It just seems too impossible though, the way they picked up the mail and ****.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2114 on: March 13, 2011, 01:21:01 AM »
They claim it is true, but there are a lot of skeptics. Remember that the creators of The Blair Witch Project claimed that was true too.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: March 13, 2011, 02:06:01 PM »
I recently watched two movies I didn't expect to be good, but were surprisingly decent: Tangled and How to Train Your Dragon.  I get the feeling that Disney Animation was under heavy pressure to finally keep pace with Pixar, because Tangled is a gorgeous movie.  The backgrounds are fantastically rendered, and the human characters are designed in a very Pixar-esque style.  Unfortunately, the movie is bogged down with a fairly lame main villain; pretty terrible songs (at least there's only about 3-4 of them); and some odd design decisions (like having a horse that pretty clearly has the personality of a dog).  One odd thing as well is that Rapunzel's hair seems to grow and shrink over the course of the movie, which really bugged me in terms of continuity.  It's not a great movie, but it's far better than I expected and would have been a great deal better if Disney hadn't insisted on it being a musical.

As for How to Train your Dragon, it's the first good CG movie I've seen out of Dreamworks (no, I didn't like the Shrek movies and I haven't seen Kung Fu Panda).  It doesn't look as good as Tangled, but it has a unique art design of its own.  No one in this movie breaks out in singing, something I greatly appreciate after decades of Disney's animated musicals.  There's some really unappealing monster design in the dragons and I really did not care for the voice of the main character (it's the same obnoxious guy from Sorcerer's Apprentice using the same obnoxious voice), but really my only big problem with this movie is that it's extremely by-the-books.  The movie goes exactly where you think it's going to go based on the general story concept, and it doesn't really do much to surprise.  That said, I was very happy with the fact that the overly-sappy ending was still somewhat bittersweet, as for once there actually is a negative consequence for the hero's actions in the story.

I don't think I'd watch either of these movies again, but both are fine movies in their own right despite not being particularly memorable.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 02:08:16 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: March 13, 2011, 02:27:13 PM »
Battle: Los Angeles. I had a friend who rated it poorly, i didn't agree. I'd give it an 8/10. Its a very difficult film to rate though. Im sure it wont be as good on repeat viewings. Good Popcorn movie.

After.life 8.5/10 pretty good movie, plus Christina Ricci is like naked most of it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: March 13, 2011, 02:59:25 PM »
After.life 8.5/10 pretty good movie, plus Christina Ricci is like naked most of it.

So was she alive the whole time or was it all in his imagination(or possibly communicating with the dead)?
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this movie on here somewhere. It wasn't too long ago that I watched it.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2118 on: March 13, 2011, 03:53:58 PM »
BrĂ¼no - Great movie, even better than Borat (not gonna type out the full title). Really funny and pushes the envelope, I could have done without the scene where he does the focus group (those who saw the movie know what is problem). The audio commentary was pretty interesting and they share stories of how they had to do things like sneak out the fire escape of a hotel to avoid police (because of Cohen got arrested he could lose his tour visa) and how the army soldiers knew who he was for 4 hours but didn't tell their CO's because they aren't allowed to talk.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: March 13, 2011, 04:20:31 PM »

So was she alive the whole time or was it all in his imagination(or possibly communicating with the dead)?
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this movie on here somewhere. It wasn't too long ago that I watched it.

lol way to spoil the movie....

The Mortician is a Serial Killer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: March 13, 2011, 04:25:20 PM »
I didn't spoil anything?

I asked what everyone is wondering the entire time of the movie. I didn't answer it.
I thought the same thing as you, but then I wasn't so sure. And I think that's exactly how they wanted the movie to be.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: March 13, 2011, 04:33:33 PM »

i think its pretty clear when you see the kid putting the living chick into the ground

They take the stand that the people are living meaningless worthless lives, and are just wasting air, plus the mortician keeps injecting the girl as soon as she starts to get out of her funk. The reason why she has these weird visions is because she's psychotic to begin with and is off her meds. Had the people tried to live less shallow boring lives than they wouldn't have targeted them. Its sorta like the misanthropic philosophy of jigsaw from saw. Those people weren't living life to the fullest, so his strategy was to see if people would do anything to survive. Or when Tyler Durdan pours lye on the hand of the narrator, and he's telling the narrator that he should rather feel the pain rather than zone out. There's living, and then there's existing. Two different things.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: March 13, 2011, 04:51:04 PM »
I don't remember the details of the movie as I watched it in 3 separate sessions (late late nite watching), so I might have missed a few things. But that scene with the boy was at the end right?

But I saw everytime he would inject her, and then there were times when she was walking around and she never really tried to escape. There was even a moment when her BF was on the other side of the door and she was standing right there and didn't call out to him. So it made me wonder if maybe she was actually dead and her spirit could communicate with the mortician or he was keeping her in some sort of comatose state where she was having an out-of-body experience or some sort of astral projection, but if she was actually conscious, moving around and had the ability to speak, then why wouldn't she let her BF know she was alright and to save her from this lunatic?

Either it was poorly written or they were trying to make me second guess on whether she was alive or not.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: March 13, 2011, 05:28:51 PM »

originally, i had thought he was a psychic as well. That he just talked to the dead, but then it becomes clear as day that he's just some sick bastard who preys on people. He pulls a Dexter thing and keeps photographs on the wall, much similar to how Dexter keeps blood samples of his victims. The girl probably could have escaped, but the point of it was she just didn't have the will to. She was just sort of a hazy depressed life of a person. He plays with his victims and slowly breaks their will. At first he says that the people are dead, but then he tells everyone that they are not living. In his eyes if they are not living than they might as well be dead. In the end of the movie Ricci wakes up and is gasping for air and trying to get out of her coffin. The drugs have worn off. Long is on his way to save her, but Neeson creates another car crash scenario. Now long is the next victim. I could see it being second guessed, but the mortician says some things that are straight up serial killer. The hallucinations also make the second guess even easier. I've seen it twice, and on second viewing it seems even more obvious he's a serial killer. and yeah the scene with the boy is at the end. Its during the funeral reception, he tells the little chicken "its better this way" Neeson is training this kid to be his serial killing apprentice. Then again im not really saying it still can't be looked at in both ways. Its definately not as weird as American Psycho though....
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 05:31:57 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2124 on: March 13, 2011, 06:50:08 PM »
Did she (Christina Ricci) gain all her weight back? Because she's effing skinny now. Has been ever since Black Snake Moan. Remember when she had meat on her bones? She was sooooo hawt.

Anyway.

The wife and I watched Paranormal Activity 2 last night. We both enjoyed the first one, but the second one is a prequel that screws up the continuity established in the first movie. In the first movie, Katie kept emphasizing how haunted SHE was as a kid, but in this prequel, she keeps saying how much her sister (the subject of the film) was haunted. Makes no sense. Also, the movie has a sort of "Nightmare in Metroid Fusion/Other M" feeling about it. Given that all this was happening at the sister's house before the first movie, shouldn't Katie have been like "boy, this is just like what happened at my sister's house" DURING the first movie?

However, the film does establish the demon's intentions (sort of) and it goes into what happened after the ending of the first movie.

The only thing that really distracts this time around is that the sister is played by Sprague Grayden (that's her real name), who is an established actress--most notably from the TV show Jericho.

Some good scares, though. Like the first movie, it's best when viewed in a dark room with the sound up and a roomfull of people.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.