Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553129 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #1775 on: December 01, 2010, 02:40:41 PM »
i liked departed better than infernal affairs, they were both good....

Have to disagree.  Infernal Affairs was quite a bit better than The Departed and is the better choice for anyone who doesn't mind subtitles.  The remake added chaff and rewrote scenes to appeal to a certain target market, but did nothing to actually improve the movie.  Sometimes bigger budgets and famous actors actually detract from the final effect.

That said, Infernal Affairs had some issues too... a movie worth watching, but not perfect by any means.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: December 01, 2010, 05:53:16 PM »
The Crow - Yet another movie I've been meaning to see for ages, and now that I've seen it I wish I hadn't waited so long because the movie just could not live up to my built-up expectations.  For one thing, this movie hasn't aged well.  It was made in 1994, and the movie looks like it was shot 10 years prior to even that.  The special effects only kind of work, the footage is so dark and muddy it can sometimes be hard to make out certain scenes, and the acting vacillates between being fairly earnest (usually scenes with Eric) and being extremely 1980s-style corny (usually scenes with the villains).  The movie's storytelling is serviceable (if filled with plot holes), though it seems to take ages for the movie to get through the few narrative beats it hits.  There are a few attempts to play off some Noir style, but they just felt flat to me.  Honestly, this feels like a movie that probably should get a remake, because while there are some good ideas in here and the atmosphere can sometimes be excellent, the movie as a whole just didn't come together very well for me.

It certainly does not need a remake. Period.

It's a fine film for what it is. If anything, Eric's encounters with the various thugs should have been extended a made a little more individually memorable.

The second film, City of Angels, might appeal to you more. It's a good film in its own right, but it did try a lot harder to be mainstream. It's only big downfall is a boring villain (of course, Iggy Pop almost makes up for it). Just stay away from any of the other films... sadly, both Salvation and Wicked Prayer were terrible films. The television series, Stairway to Heaven, is worth watching if you're a fan of the comics or the films.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1777 on: December 06, 2010, 10:35:19 AM »
Wall Street - Other than the outdated tech (like those brick cell phones), this still holds up today. Makes me somewhat interested in the sequel. Very good movie.

The Batman vs. Dracula - This was the only Batman movie I haven't seen before. It's good, although I wasn't a big fan of The Batman show (mainly some of the villian character designs, like Joker having a Rastafarian haircut).

Roger & Me - One of Michael Moore's earlier documentaries (released in 1989), Moore tries to get into contact with then-chairman of General Motors Roger Smith and why GM was firing tens of thousands of workers in Flint, Michigan (Moore's hometown) despite record profits.

Showgirls - One of the most famous bombs of all time, but also the highest grossing NC-17 movie ever (which may be why it bombed, even with an adult kids can't get into NC-17 movies). Not a great movie, but passable.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: December 06, 2010, 03:11:08 PM »
Showgirls - One of the most famous bombs of all time, but also the highest grossing NC-17 movie ever (which may be why it bombed, even with an adult kids can't get into NC-17 movies). Not a great movie, but passable.

I still don't "get" this movie.  It's bad but never quite bad enough to draw me in.  When a movie leaves you bored with watching topless women, you know something is wrong.
NNID: ejamer

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: December 06, 2010, 07:08:52 PM »
Les Miserables: 8.5/10
Story of redemption, forgiveness, and benevolence set in pre-revolutionary France. All the characters are great, and the acting is superb, really giving off a sense of time and familiarity. There were a couple of scenes I could have done without, but overall a great movie.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline k.anderson3454

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: December 06, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
Harry Potter 7 part 1 :) The movie was great. although some parts may be dragging.I was really emotional watching the movie.:)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: December 08, 2010, 06:14:07 AM »
Killers: 7/10.

Not a bad evenings viewing. A few laughs throughout. And the first time I have seen Mr Seleck in action.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: December 08, 2010, 07:02:20 AM »
Inception          I have to watch this again/10

i went to the cheapie 2 dollar movies to watch it while it was still in theaters the other day. Don't bring a date to watch it. I finally got to see a movie i'v been wanting to watch all year, except my date kept me pre-occupied.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: December 08, 2010, 12:35:54 PM »
Inception          I have to watch this again/10

i went to the cheapie 2 dollar movies to watch it while it was still in theaters the other day. Don't bring a date to watch it. I finally got to see a movie i'v been wanting to watch all year, except my date kept me pre-occupied.

You still messin with Palmela Handerson? She can be so touchy feely sometimes, can't stop putting her hand all over everything. ;)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: December 08, 2010, 07:14:10 PM »
LOL

That's hilarious
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: December 08, 2010, 08:22:58 PM »
even i laughed at that one

thanks to Dasmos, I'll always associate Inception with xzibit

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=28364.msg626651#msg626651
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:43:40 PM by ThePerm »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: December 08, 2010, 10:43:25 PM »
.. I can't believe I haven't been in this thread since page 68...

I have watched countless movies and can't begin to rate, or remember them all.. (thanks netflix) so here goes a few standout ones;

Scott Pilgrim vs the World (3rd time watching now that i own the dvd): 10/10

The 13th Floor: 5/10 but to be fair, i didn't pay attention

127 Hours: 10/10 (plus you can't beat $6 movie nights!) Go see it, it's awesome even if you know how its gonna end.

Sin City: 10/10 much better than I remember

Mafia! 4/10 much worse than i remember

The 41 Year-old Virgin Who Knocked Up Sarah Marshall & Felt Superbad About it: 2/10 utter garbage, I can't even remember any of it but god was it low grade and just.. bad. However, I did discover Sancho & Pancho's awesome music because of it, so it was worth a mention.

check out my sig
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: December 08, 2010, 10:55:31 PM »
Get Him to the Greek: 8/10

I think I put this on my Netflix queue because of this thread, and I'm glad I did. Not as laugh-out-loud funny as I expected, but I wasn't really disappointed by that because it made up for it in other ways.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: December 08, 2010, 11:10:23 PM »
I'm still meaning to check out the bonus features on the dvd (yes, I bought the dvd) as I did enjoy the movie very much. I've seen it a few times since the purchase, and I still find it funny.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: December 09, 2010, 10:25:30 AM »
Cadillac Records: 8/10
Very good movie about music and race. All the actors are on point, and Beyonce is ridiculously hot as always. Also very informative, as I knew that the Beach Boys stole music from Chuck Berry, but I had no idea that Led Zeppelin (one of my favorite classic rock bands) stole music from famed writer Willie Dixon.

Raging Bull: 7.8/10
Good movie about boxer Jake Lamotta, but for me, they didn't spend enough time on the boxing, and too much showing his character, especially since they did it through the matches as well.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: December 09, 2010, 10:16:37 PM »
I finished watching all of the original Star Trek movies. And, yeah, 5 was terrible. It's funny to read some of the reviews on Netflix regarding the film as some folks actually try and defend it. "Star Trek explores the human condition and religion and deity is part of that". But there was very little of that in the movie. There was only a line or two that covered those thoughts at all in close to a meaningful way and the 'deity' turns out to just be a trapped being posing as god.

The plot holes were laughable and I actually yelled "Explain, movie! Explain!" once because things were just happening for no logical reason. T

As for ranking them all; 6, 4, 2, 3 with 1 & 5 tied for last.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:43:42 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: December 09, 2010, 10:25:37 PM »
There are a couple good parts in that movie, but by and large it is terrible. I only bought the DVD to have the complete set; I doubt I'll ever watch it again.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: December 09, 2010, 10:41:11 PM »
Enter the Dragon. I didn't like it as much as Way of the Dragon, so it's 8.5/10. I was actually expecting a bit more action, but oh well.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: December 10, 2010, 02:40:36 AM »
The Rage in Placid Lake
A friend of mine that I met on a Nintendo message board some 9 years ago and kept in touch with through Gmail and Facebook recommended this movie to me roughly 5 years ago. I'm glad I remembered. It's good, Rose Byrne is hot, and Ben Lee (known in the US for his mildly successful single "Catch My Disease" which you may have heard on Scrubs) is surprisingly not a bad actor. This is his only acting role. I'd like to thank Netflix for making this possible as I couldn't find this movie anywhere without just buying the DVD online.

The ending is a bit rushed and is pretty obvious right off the bat. That's probably my only real complaint.

Little Sweethearts
I found it browsing Netflix. It's based off some obscure, out of print British novel published in 1972. The film came out in 1989 and stars John Hurt. Besides Hurt, there's questionable acting all around. I'll probably only remember this movie for this one very not-okay shot of one of the young female actors. File it under: once you see it, you can't un-see it. In the scene, the 2 girls steal some money. The one girl lifts her dress and shows the other girl the envelope tucked in her underwear. That scene would never fly in 2010 and I'm surprised it was okay even 21 years ago. The movie itself isn't terribly good, outside of Hurt's performance which isn't fantastic by any means. In fact, it's flat-out boring sometimes and you'll probably want to punch Thelma (main character, one of the 2 girls) in the face within the first 5 minutes of the movie. I suppose that's the point since she is supposed to be evil...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:42:49 AM by Adrock »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: December 10, 2010, 08:32:49 AM »
Well ST5 did give us that excellent Kirk/Shatner moment "What does god need with a starship?". That alone ranks it above the sleeping pills in movie form that is Star Trek the Motion Picture, but that's a race to the bottom.

I am surprised that you ranked Voyage Home over Warth of Khan. I can see why you like Undiscovered better than Khan. WoK with Spock's death scene always gets my eyes wet. It's a truly beautiful near perfect scene only weakened by flimsy set/porps.

You moving on to the Next Gen movies Stratos? or is it some where you have gone before?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: December 10, 2010, 09:45:09 AM »
Definitely continue on with TNG films. First Contact is one of my favorites, even if Generations is fairly boring. Still nothing can be as lame as J.J. Abrams interpretation. :\
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: December 10, 2010, 10:18:25 AM »
I kind of have a soft spot for Generations...I'll agree that it's almost like a glorified episode of ST:TNG, though.  First Contact is the most entertaining, but the TNG movies go downhill quickly after that.

On another note, I watched Scott Pilgrim for the first time last night.  Kind of funny, but also surprisingly 'meh' for me.  I enjoyed the references, but it definitely isn't something that I think I'll feel compelled to watch again.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: December 10, 2010, 01:48:20 PM »
Scott Pilgrim - 9.75/10

I've never read the comic book but this is movie was literally like a slapstick comic come to life that slowly turned into a video game.
Some many moments where I LOL'd  and had to say outloud "OMG this is so stupid!! HAHAHAHAHA". M. Cera was excellent in this movie, he fit the comical ADD nature of a comic character so perfectly and most of the action was great George Michael & Ann back together again ;D. There was also some nice VG references and hearing Saria's Song? was a nice touch too.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: December 10, 2010, 03:56:37 PM »
oh yeah forgot to rate scott pilgrim 9/10!

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: December 10, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »
I just saw Tommy Wiseau's THE ROOM.  Who else has seen this cinematic masterpiece?  The "citizen cane" of bad movies.