Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553269 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #5150 on: February 15, 2016, 07:14:03 PM »
Latest Movies I've seen since my previous wall of text:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

It was alright. It's been over a decade since I read this series and it brought back some memories of it all. The problem is that the books are very hard to adapt with their over-the-top sci-fi concepts and wordplay which isn't easy to put on screen. With its beginning song of "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish", it seemed to start off with great potential for a comedic adventure but it did not fulfill that hope. It had its moments and it refreshed my memory again on the story but all the ideas, effects and actors just didn't blend well with some things and character motivations left unexplained. My rating: So-so.

Life Itself

This had a lot of good reviews and was a pretty highly rated film from last year going by Rotten Tomatoes. Filming for this began close to the time of Roger Ebert's death which occurred as production was happening giving the film a bit of a tragic ending. I learned some interesting and new things about his life that I didn't know before and it was fascinating how much Siskel and Ebert really did hate each other for some time in their relationship. Yet, the most poignant and gripping material may have been the present day stuff of him fighting on despite through the cancer battles and his health issues. My rating: Very Good.

20 Feet from Stardom

I'm not a big fan of documentaries and this movie falls in line with my less than positive perception of documentaries. Here are some background singers that have worked with some big artists. You may have heard their background vocals on some pretty famous songs the film will provide examples. Now you know who sung that stuff. Despite having good singing voices, a lot of these background singers couldn't get a solo act. Why not? Who knows. The film can't figure out for sure, aside from Darlene Love who was blocked by Phil Specter. Did you know that nowadays not many artists are using these great background vocal singers? Won't you please hire these background vocalists and prevent a potential music travesty from occurring? The end. Oscar please! I can't believe this won Best Documentary over The Act of Killing. My rating: Skip it unless you are really, really into music and like knowing various histories and anecdotes behind various groups and songs.

The Color Purple

Watching this, I was reminded of the movie Precious incredibly. Perhaps it was from the main character's dad who impregnated her twice (just like Precious's father did to her), or the abuse heaped on her from her husband (like Monique's character hating on Precious), or it could have been from the singer Sugar who helps the main character blossom and is a bit promiscuous even leading to a bit of lesbianism with the main character (just like Precious's teacher, who is a lesbian, helps her grow and escape the abuse of her mother). Yet, despite these odd parallels, The Color Purple is far superior from Precious. The writing and story is stronger but it probably helps that the director for it is Spielberg who wanted to prove a point that he could direct a solid drama without special effects or sci-fi elements.

This movie is one of those few films that has a literary feeling in that it gives me the sensation that I'm watching a book. It comes from dialogue, from the characters and the structure of the film but the way things are set up and introduced, the various conflicts and their resolutions just remind me of my time reading classics of literature and how they unfolded. The only resolution I was less sold on was how Sugar resolved the differences with her father but then the movie didn't spend much time building that plotline up or developing it much. Yet, as silly as the resolution is on reflection, at the time and in the movie, it was actually one of the emotional highpoints so Spielberg is able to get away with it. Incredibly, this is pretty much Whoopi Goldberg's debut film getting her an Oscar nomination for Best Actress and launching her career. It's the best role I've ever seen her in and probably her best career performance. Up to this point, I'd always felt her work on Star Trek: TNG was the best I'd seen her do and, even then, I wasn't a big fan of her character so to see her carry a movie and deliver a great performance like this was surprising. My rating: Secretly great. After watching it, I knew it was good but wasn't really sure what I felt about it. After a couple more days processing it all, I find myself admiring it more and more and really being impressed by it.

All About my Mother

Recently, the AV Club did an article talking about Pedro Almodovar. Despite knowing about him and being aware of many of his films, I realized I had still yet to see any one of them. As luck would have it, I came across a copy of this film while at the library a week or two later so I checked it out. I knew this was an Oscar for Best Foreign Film as well. I get why the movie would have been lauded at the time but it feels sort of dated to me. The plot makes a lot of allusions to All About Eve and A Streetcar Named Desire and there are times where it seems like the plot may begin to veer in the same direction as one of those stories but then it seemingly abandons that path and goes in another direction. I found the film intriguing because of not knowing where it was going and it actually has a resolve that is able to tie a lot of things up and together when I didn't think it possible. However, it never really engaged me emotionally despite having many elements that could or would seemingly allow it do so. Plus, reflecting on the plot after watching it, there are a few actions that strike me as ridiculous or preposterous that occur and that brings it down my opinion on it a bit. My rating: Good but I also don't think you're missing out on much if you don't ever see it.

Rififi

I liked this one a lot. Film Noir is one of my absolute favorite genres. After suffering through a slog of a lot of French films I've disliked or hated, I seem to be have finally found ones that align with my tastes more. Rififi is the story of 4 criminals who work come together for a jewel heist, plot it and carry it out. This being the 1950's, everything falls apart after the heist which is the one thing that disappoints me about the film. Even when things go wrong, Tony and Jo still have a chance to turn it around and succeed but the moral code of the time didn't let crooks succeed and film noir isn't always about happy endings. Still, even knowing that tragedy is coming, there's a lot to recommend about this film although the centerpiece is the heist itself. It's the kind of thing that inspires you to want to make your own heist film or maybe even pull one of yourself. The smartness they all display in how they communicate, in their equipment and watching their timing helps win you over to their side making it all the more disappointing that it will later all be for naught. My Rating: Great. Even though the technology may be outdated, it doesn't diminish the effectiveness of the heist. Absolutely worth seeing even if it isn't a happy ending.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5151 on: February 15, 2016, 07:19:41 PM »
You just can't turn a comedic novel into a movie very well. They're generally very leveraged on narration to deliver the humor, and that doesn't translate to the way movies work. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie tried the best it could, with little sequences quoting the guide here and there, but it was a lost cause.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: February 15, 2016, 08:02:25 PM »
Very true. It's the same as taking a movie comedy like The Naked Gun and trying to turn it into a humorous novel. Trying to describe all the sight gags wouldn't translate well at all although you may get some humor from the spoken dialogue still. Hitchhiker's did the best it could and it came close but it's in a lose/lose situation. If it ditches a lot of the story material to be a successful screen comedy, Hitchhiker fans will be upset and rant against it. So, it tried to stay close to the material but the result is that the comedy is muted and understated and the movie doesn't really succeed.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: February 15, 2016, 08:49:34 PM »
Two of my best friends in high school adored Hitchhikers Guide, and always were quoting from it as a sort of running inside joke. I never got around to reading the books, but it was nice to get some of the jokes that they were shooting at each other after watching the movie. I don't think it was terrible, and for me I mostly blame the cast. None of the actors felt right for their roles. No idea who would have done a better job in those settings, but that was what felt the most "off" about the film. I would give it a "close, but no banana" rating.

Going to see Deadpool tonight as part of my wife and I's Valentines weekend festivities. Super stoked for it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: February 16, 2016, 12:32:54 AM »
I went and saw Deadpool a 2nd time, last night, this time with a girlfriend of mine.

She does not like comicbook movies, hasn't seen the majority of them and generally has no interest in them. But she was enjoying her some Deadpool last nite.

It's a genuinely good comedic comic action flick with strong romantic tendencies that likely has a little bit of something for everyone open to just enjoying a fun movie.

I really think they covered almost everything in this movie.
Guys get their explosions and gun play
Girls get their romantic comedy
Guys got blood and violence
Girls got Powerful women and male nudity (front and back)
Guys got nude stippers and the gorgeous Morena Baccarin.
Everyone got a faithful Deadpool & Colossus w/ endless non-stop humor of all sorts in a comic based movie that was not only good, but played perfectly to the Him and Her crowd looking for a mutual Valentines day movie that we could all enjoy.

It was marketed so damn well, that Parents forgot that it was Rated R and brought ALL their damn children to the theater to watch it. and I'm not talking teens and pre-teens, but pre-school/elementary aged children, telling them to cover their eyes at certain parts.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:45:22 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: February 16, 2016, 01:59:11 AM »
Then create a new thread this is about movies people have seen, I haven't seen  Deadpool and I don't plan on seeing it either.
MEEMEMEMEEMEMEEMMEEEMEEMEEMEMEEE!!!!!!!! LOOK AT MEEEE!

Deadpool is an amazing funny as movie, or does it not have enough explosions for you?

I like my action movies to have explosions sure, but I like my comedies to be a little goofy and I hated the Deadpool character from the comics, his last movie incarnation, the guy playing the character, so lame jab at my taste in films aside, I have no desire to see Deadpool. But despite the idiot I portray on this forum I promise you I am far more intelligent than you and probably one reason why you will never understand half of what I do.

But if dick and fart jokes are all it takes to make you giggle like a school girl then good for you ph@8.
I am intelligent, I just act like an idiot. Well played sir.

Hateful 8

If you want to talk about art, here it is. It is essentially play shot on really big pieces of 70mm film. It really good at playing with your expectations and yanks your empathy from one character to another. Every actor in this is putting in their 100%, they are a hateful bunch, everyone evil in their own way. The dialogue is absurdly sharp and when you get a monologue, you are going to get some riveting imagery to go with it. It's shot old school, no bullet time, no tumbling cameras, just has a camera sitting there most of the time, framing whatever is happening perfectly still and if there is motion, it's slow and deliberate.

My current movie of the year based on what I have seen.

--

Deadpool is the antithesis of current Super Heroes. He isn't brooding, growling or super mysterious. He isn't subtle, he isn't babbling on about the responsibility of power for the nth time(Fucking Spiderman). He is emotionally available despite the endless jokes about himself and everything around him. While he isn't above the odd dick and fart joke, most of it is about the absurdity of what's happening and having a visual conversation with the audience about the nature of his violence. Despite his loose moral code, he has one and while he kills, he isn't sadistic about it and tried to be quick about it even if it is out of a more pragmatic concern.

As noted by others, the movie packs in a lot of opposing, seemingly mutually exclusive genres, and it works. That is what the real art of this movie is at. It does this without shoving elements in or aside or b-plotting or neglecting.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5156 on: February 16, 2016, 05:08:46 AM »
So Explodingfan, you going to see it now?
Made you look ****.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: February 16, 2016, 03:13:50 PM »
Sadly the movie didn't work out as a perfect closing to our Valentines weekend because she had a massive amount of homework. But if the low point of a Valentines weekend was missing a movie then I'm not going to complain ;). We'll be trying for next weekend for sure.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: February 17, 2016, 10:10:35 AM »
Holy cow, Angel Heart is a MESSED UP movie. My rating: gun rape/100

« Reply #5159 on: February 17, 2016, 11:05:14 AM »
So Explodingfan, you going to see it now?

Well buddy I have decided that when it comes to Netflix I will put it in my queue that is the best I can offer.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5160 on: February 17, 2016, 06:33:08 PM »
Ok, that's good enough I suppose...
Made you look ****.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: February 19, 2016, 12:30:58 AM »
The Towering Inferno 8/10. Slow, but once it kicks up, it is pretty damn exciting.

Cooties 7.2/10. Its pretty good at first. Kinda doesn't have a real ending. Extra points for very dark humor.

Project Almanac 8/10 I like time travle movies.

Time After Time 8/10 Even old ones.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 12:34:51 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: February 19, 2016, 08:06:31 PM »
So I wound up seeing the first two Back to the Future movies relatively recently.

I like how they spend half the second movie just layering stuff on to the events of the first one.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: February 20, 2016, 10:56:54 AM »
Deadpool was pretty entertaining. Was there supposed to be some significance to the wrecked ship at the end of the movie?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: February 20, 2016, 11:44:55 AM »
Deadpool was pretty entertaining. Was there supposed to be some significance to the wrecked ship at the end of the movie?

"SHIELD" Helicarrier is what it's supposed to be.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: February 20, 2016, 11:46:23 AM »
Concept art revealed that it was supposed to be a downed helicarrier, but they couldn't reference anything SHIELD related too overtly.

Dammit, got the answer sniped from right underneath my nose!
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: February 20, 2016, 05:04:48 PM »
Triple 9 - This hasnt launched in the USA yet. I quite enjoyed this for how it's an overwhelmingly negative film. But Michael K Williams completely stole the movie with his single scene in full drag, long hair, and matching pink wig for his dog and make up and softened voice.

It was played so seriously and straight faced I was the only one laughing at how well done that scene was. The only way i recognised it was him was because of his trademark scar.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5167 on: February 22, 2016, 11:12:14 AM »
Deadpool - 9/10

Loved it. The X-Men franchise should build from this.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: February 22, 2016, 03:44:35 PM »
I know the Hitchhiker's conversation has long since passed, but I wanted to say that I thought Martin Freeman and Sam Rockwell were very well cast. Others, not so much.

I have read all the books, but I appreciate the movie just as much. The narration keeps it feeling like the book while taking cinematic liberties.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: February 24, 2016, 11:11:13 PM »

the marketing continues :P

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: March 01, 2016, 08:55:55 AM »
I liked but didn't love Deadpool. The action was great. The acting was generally pretty good. Even Gina Carano wasn't awful though she had like five lines and didn't need to emote much.

I'm not against foul language; I just found it a bit much here. Sometimes it felt excessive. However, that's Deadpool. I can't fault the filmmakers for sticking to the source material. I'd prefer they respect the source material (which X-Men Origin's Wolverine certainly did not) so I suppose my issue is with the source material itself. I like the Deadpool character though I think he's best as a supporting character.

And TJ Miller was awesome. Almost everything Weasel said was hilarious.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: March 01, 2016, 02:01:18 PM »
A friend of the site and mine recently recommended (or rather, placed a copy of in my hands) The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. It's a Deadpool arc that has the character going to North Korea with Wolverine and Captain America. It's one of the best portrayals of the character I've read in a long time (after the questionable choices that Way made with the character), and I recommend it if you think Deadpool can't have dramatic weight.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5172 on: March 05, 2016, 08:03:18 PM »
Watched Zootopia today, and I must say it was quite good.

Never seen a trailer, but decided to take my daughter to go watch it since it just came out this weekend and it's been raining for 3 days already, so it seems like the perfect time to go to a movie.

The movie was funny, and it had a message that the kids I think will pick up on, while the overall adult subject/thematic matter behind it all will likely go right over all their little heads. All the while keeping things fun, entertaining, and interesting.

Message for the kids you can be whatever you want if you never give up trying to be that

Overall more adult theme that most kids probably won't really catch on to racism, bigotry, bullying, prejudice and all that is not only a real problem, but even those of us that think we may be the victims of it, may also be the one victimizing others with it.

At least that was my take on it.
Overall - really good movie, and I think I laughed outloud more than my daughter did.

That Sloth... LOL both times too. LOL

edit: this movie begs for a sequel
and to steal an aptly fit title from GAF 22 Hopps Street
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 09:28:11 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: March 06, 2016, 03:32:41 PM »
I have done a final tally.

I saw 52 movies from February 2015 to February 2016.

My favourite movies over this period:

• The Voices - An extremely unique charm that only Ryan Reynolds can do.
  • Mad Max - An insane technical achievement.
  • Tomorrowland - Completely forgettable and yet made with the same Disney high-budget polish and shinyness.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 05:31:02 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: March 06, 2016, 03:41:23 PM »
In one month?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA