Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553289 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4700 on: May 19, 2014, 02:01:30 PM »
I took my 8 and 4 years olds to see it, they weren't scared at any point.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: May 19, 2014, 02:44:29 PM »
I'm guessing there isn't anything to realistically gruesome.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: May 19, 2014, 04:14:04 PM »
I took my 8 and 4 years olds to see it, they weren't scared at any point.

Yeah, because all kids, let alone all people, are scared by the same things.

For those who have seen Godzilla.  My son has seen Pacific Rim.  Is it more or less for children friendly then that Movie?

I would say that the violence in Pacific Rim is a saturday morning cartoon, while Godzilla just seems more... real? Even though Godzilla is painted in a "good" light, I could see where a child might be scared of him or the other kaiju.

« Reply #4703 on: May 19, 2014, 10:06:22 PM »
I watched Gremlins when I was 4 and thought it was a comedy. My sister thought Ghostbusters was scary. Everyone is different.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: May 19, 2014, 10:10:40 PM »
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (I refuse to spoiler-tag this)
Meh. The Spider-Man parts were mostly cool which I suppose is the point, but everything else was pretty mediocre. The story didn't make sense. Max Dillon turning into Electro was one of the most insulting things I've ever seen in a movie. So the dude who just needed to shut the power off couldn't be bothered to stay at work for 10 more minutes so Max could fix the wires safely? Fine, that's kind of shitty. Then Max, who is an electrical engineer, balances himself precariously on the rails above the exposed tank of killer eels then super-surprisingly falls into the exposed tank of killer eels which give him powers and fix the gap in his teeth because sure, it should be positioned directly above the wires he had to fix? OH GOD, NO! IT WAS ALSO HIS BIRTHDAY! What the fuc...

There's just way too much wrong with this movie to spend a very long time on each instance. Everything from Peter and Harry totally still being bros after all those years to the secret subway lab that Richard Parker would never be able to build himself and without Oscorp knowing (plus uploading that confession video that Peter had the absolutely slimmest chance of finding) to how much it didn't make sense the way Harry becomes to Green Goblin and how he randomly shows up at the exact moment Spider-Man and Electro's dub step fight ends. So many coincidences, ALL the coincidences.

Was there even a point to the two planes on a collision course? I don't think Spider-Man even knew about that one. Oh, and by the way, here's Rhino. A huge crowd watches and doesn't run away screaming as bootleg-Metal Gear shoots at the police who are so helpless without Spider-Man that they let a little kid run out into the crossfire. Rhino is then totally okay with the kid and Spider-Man chatting then bumping fists.

Godzilla
I watched this at a drive-in theater. They started about 20 minutes before the sun completely set so I missed part of the beginning. I felt like there was a lot of cock-teasing. Every time Godzilla was about to fight the MUTO, the movie would cut to something else. I got the impression that the point was the build up that major fight scene at the end, but it was still more annoying than anything. Still, I liked it even though casting Bryan Cranston was kind of a waste

Braveheart
Still good after all these years. This was the first time I've watched it in its entirety since it came out on VHS nearly 20 years ago. I won't fault the movie for this, but I could used more women talking in Scottish accents because that totally does it for me.

Valkyrie
I finally got around to watching it. Not bad, not especially great. I had some trouble at first following the plot to kill Hitler. It seemed overly complicated. They should have just strapped bombs to themselves in a French theater where all the Nazi leaders gathered to watch a film about national pride and shot up the place.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: May 21, 2014, 09:41:26 PM »
I felt like an idiot watching Valyrie and being in suspense at to whether they killed Hitler or not.

Anyway...

Source Code - I thought it was pretty good. Maybe a little too happy of an ending, but it was enjoyable.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: May 21, 2014, 11:55:46 PM »
I felt like an idiot watching Valyrie and being in suspense at to whether they killed Hitler or not.
Inglorious Basterds

Source Code
I know i am repeating this again and again, but i will never get tired of saying how much i love that hollywood has gone into new sci-fi phase and does at least three-five good to very good sci-fi movies.

I really loved Source Code and how it felt like one of hard sci-fi of old.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: May 22, 2014, 12:01:19 AM »
I'm assuming you saw his previous film, azeke? Moon? God, I loved that movie.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: May 22, 2014, 12:05:41 AM »
I'm assuming you saw his previous film, azeke? Moon?
Yes, Zowie Bowie is amazing! I don't care for Warcraft one bit, but i'm looking forward to his next movie.

Looking for Edge of Tomorrow this month. Sci-fi rocks.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: May 22, 2014, 12:08:40 AM »
Ah, yes, I forgot that was coming out soon. While I won't be able to see it in theaters, it'll definitely be a day one redbox for me. :)

So, what are your recommendations for good sci-fi films Hollywood has released in the last few years?

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #4710 on: May 22, 2014, 12:29:10 AM »
Looper -- very good time travel story, love it

Oblivion -- 7/10, Morgan Freeman is wasted there, but otherwise it's solid if a bit cliche

Snowpiercer -- good story, again a bit cliche, and overall it feels kinda cheap, but i enjoyed it a lot

Elysium -- rehash of District 9. Absolutely the same story from the same director. Still it's okay, i guess. But D9 is so much better it's not funny.

Gravity -- best movie of 2013. Also read "Kaleidoscope" by great Bradbury, if you want another story about spacemen thrown into space.

Ender's game -- very direct apadtation of the book. The book was only good if read it as a teenager (the less said about sequels the better). Same goes for the movie i guess. Battle simulation scenes were good i guess.

Planet of the Apes -- AMAZING. Great reinvigoration of classic sci-fi franchise. Looking forward for the next movie.

Prometheus -- meh. Fassbender's character doesn't make sense.

Pacific Rim -- **** YEAH

Riddick -- trash

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: May 22, 2014, 10:26:17 AM »
You just saw Pacific Rim Azeke?  Easily my favorite movie in a while.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: May 22, 2014, 11:21:44 AM »
So, what are your recommendations for good sci-fi films Hollywood has released in the last few years?

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Well made movie. It was funny how they didn't even try to explain how Picard got resurrected. He just did and that's it. I wish they brought back Rose Byrne.

All the sappy stuff with love and trust was a bit cheesy for my taste.

Quicksilver scene was a real crowd pleaser. Audience laughed a lot during it. I thought it was okay.

Tyrion did okay. Mags did okay. Gandalf also did okay.

Overall it was okay. I liked First Class a lot, but this new movie is okay too.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: May 22, 2014, 11:45:37 AM »
I find it funny after all the **** everyone gave about Quicksilver being thrown in to smite Marvel and The Avengers and then about how stupid he looks with his "70's inspired" look, that he actually turns out to be one of the best parts of the movie.... or at least the scene he was "thrown in for" was one of the best scenes in the movie.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: May 22, 2014, 04:13:23 PM »
Finally saw Star Trek: I Want to be as Good as Wrath of Khan.

I felt like I was watching a movie of a games Cutscenes strung together.  I kept feeling like there was something I wanted to play but these Cutscenes kept popping up.

I can't say it's a good movie because of that.  The Marvel thread we're talking team to build up and I think these movies lose something by not having the TV Series to help build these relationships.  All these character really feel generic this time.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: May 22, 2014, 06:30:51 PM »
Godzilla was pretty decent. I felt that unlike the toho movies it failed to strike a Balance between the human drama and the kaiju fights. There's at least two times where a fight is about to go down till we switch gears to pandering to middle america. The Muto's were pretty lame since the turned out to be pallate swamp Cloverfield.  The Asian scientist felt pretty wasted when his whole thing was I want to find GM. The idea of an organization made to find Kaiju is a pretty good one that I don't think has been explored that much in the toho series. Was hoping the Solider and Gman would have died to mirror the ending of the OG Godzilla, but i'm find with the leaving off this is a franchise.. Overall I liked it and was relived that with the expection of one scene we get a mostly neutral animal like Godzilla instead of the either Good Guy G or The King of Monsters is a gigantic dick some of the Toho movies seemed to sort into.

I'm really interested in where a sequel would take the series. It has the same problem of Man of Steel being in such a realistic universe and not hinting at other monsters being around. Doesn't seem like were going to get a Mecha  G but the director hinted at Mothra and Monster Island.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: May 23, 2014, 01:37:31 AM »
21 Jump Street

Holy ****, that movie is hilarious. I really wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was, but it was really funny. Pretty good actual movie though it is a bit cheesy at times. Looking forward to the sequel.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4717 on: May 23, 2014, 09:28:57 AM »
21 Jump Street

Holy ****, that movie is hilarious. I really wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was, but it was really funny. Pretty good actual movie though it is a bit cheesy at times. Looking forward to the sequel.

That movie is criminally underrated.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: May 23, 2014, 11:50:42 AM »
I guess I should spoiler tag this (21 Jump Street reference), and I don't know if it's just in the director's cut or whatever but Rob Riggle trying to pick up his own severed penis with his mouth is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4719 on: May 23, 2014, 12:00:52 PM »
I think that might just be the director's cut, which may confirm a blu-ray purchase from me.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: May 23, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »
It was in the version I watched.... and I'm pretty sure I only saw it in the theater.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4721 on: May 23, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
Really?! I must've forgotten it.  I guess it's been a while since I've seen it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: May 23, 2014, 01:36:50 PM »
I could be mistaken as I think I have it on DVD as well, but I don't think I ever watched it at home.... unless I've only watched it at home... I really can't remember right now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: May 23, 2014, 05:35:09 PM »
The Expendables

What a load of horse ****. Easily one of the top 10 worst movies I've ever seen.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: May 23, 2014, 07:18:29 PM »
The 2nd one is SOOOO damn cheesy, in both good and really bad ways.

I can only imagine how bad the 3rd one will be.