Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553383 times)

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3375 on: June 25, 2012, 02:37:43 PM »
Brave is out? That's going to be a flop. Not because its a bad movie, but because I have to ask.

edit: nevermind it came out this weekened...not the 10th

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/25/showbiz/movies/box-office-brave-ew/index.html?hpt=hp_bn9

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: June 25, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »
Brave - 4/10

Yeah it's a kid movie, but I took my two kids. It was  mostly entertaining, but essentially pointless. The animation was top-notch, of course, but it just seemed like a Pixar Short that got stretched out for too long, which is weird because it's also pretty short. My kids didn't like it either.

Also a big opening doesn't really mean it's a good movie, or will hold up. I don't think too many people will be recommending it to others and it'll probably do like 10-15 million this coming weekend.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 03:02:42 PM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: June 25, 2012, 03:01:45 PM »
Brave - 4/10

Yeah it's a kid movie, but I took my two kids. It was  mostly entertaining, but essentially pointless. The animation was top-notch, of course, but it just seemed like a Pixar Short that got stretched out for too long, which is weird because it's also pretty short. My kids didn't like it either.
4 out of 10 is pretty harsh.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: June 25, 2012, 03:02:57 PM »
I'm being honest, it wasn't good.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: June 25, 2012, 03:06:17 PM »
Brave is out? That's going to be a flop. Not because its a bad movie, but because I have to ask.

edit: nevermind it came out this weekened...not the 10th

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/25/showbiz/movies/box-office-brave-ew/index.html?hpt=hp_bn9

I had read it came out on the 10th originally, and if it had only made 86 million by now it would be considered a flop with a budget of twice that much, but then i re-read that was just the premiere and that it came out last weekend in which case those are good numbers. Either way i haven't really seen any advertisement. Thats one of those things that annoys me about Hollywood where they bitch about how poorly something does when they didn't fucking advertise, mostly a caveat about tv networks.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: June 25, 2012, 03:09:57 PM »
*shrug*I honestly don't know what is in theaters most times because there isn't any commercials I see for it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3381 on: June 25, 2012, 04:11:36 PM »
Maybe we're all just watching the wrong shows. I see commercials for Brave fairly frequently. On the other hand, I almost missed Midnight in Paris because I never saw a commercial for it. Luckily, I saw a trailer in an actual theatre.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: June 25, 2012, 04:27:30 PM »
I don't watch much live TV so if they don't advertise on the Internet form of TV I probably didn't see it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: June 25, 2012, 04:29:13 PM »
Live TV takes it in the ass. If I want to watch something and it's on right now, I'll typically go do something else for 15-20 minutes so I can skip all the ads.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: June 25, 2012, 04:43:08 PM »
I just bypass the hassle of setting up recordings altogether on my DVR and just torrent the TV shows I'm currently watching.  I think the only TV I watch live these days are televised sports games, and that's only because there's significantly less entertainment to be had watching those after the fact.

:-X

What?  ;)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: June 25, 2012, 10:51:49 PM »
I just bypass the hassle of setting up recordings altogether on my DVR and just torrent the TV shows I'm currently watching.  I think the only TV I watch live these days are televised sports games, and that's only because there's significantly less entertainment to be had watching those after the fact.

:-X

What?  ;)

+2

as a bonus, I sometimes watch what you are waiting to record, an hour or two before it even airs. with no commercials. it doesn't get better than that.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:53:43 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: June 26, 2012, 12:38:01 AM »
that is true, i theoretically just skipped the commercial. So that means advertisers either need to advertise on must watch shows: the type you record and watch at the same time, and advertise on the internet. All else is a useless and costly waste because people skip it anyways. Very good point Broodwars.

but back to network television shows..how many shows that are great survive past their first or second season? Many shows im picking up on netflix are great but sadly are only 2 seasons long. If I had known about them I would have watched them. Examples Jericho, Better off Ted, Reaper, The Riches, Defying Gravity. I also liked Outsourced, but I actually was on the other side of that where I was one of few watching it, while others were either clueless about it, or were told it was bad. However, For a one season show; it did have a proper ending.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: June 26, 2012, 01:39:16 AM »
that is true, i theoretically just skipped the commercial. So that means advertisers either need to advertise on must watch shows: the type you record and watch at the same time, and advertise on the internet. All else is a useless and costly waste because people skip it anyways. Very good point Broodwars.

but back to network television shows..how many shows that are great survive past their first or second season? Many shows im picking up on netflix are great but sadly are only 2 seasons long. If I had known about them I would have watched them. Examples Jericho, Better off Ted, Reaper, The Riches, Defying Gravity. I also liked Outsourced, but I actually was on the other side of that where I was one of few watching it, while others were either clueless about it, or were told it was bad. However, For a one season show; it did have a proper ending.

How ironic....

maybe if you weren't skipping the commercials, you would have known about some of those shows :P
same goes for me too though...
if it weren't for the internet, lots of shows would have been lost, never to be discovered by me. And if it weren't for Netflix, even more of them probably never would have been watched.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: June 26, 2012, 03:01:55 AM »
I recently took up a policy of not watching shows until I can torrent the whole season. I bucked the trend with Korra and the last episodes of Game of Thrones, but I'm going to try it with my favorite show of all - Breaking Bad. It's going to be hell for a while, but I know it'll be worth it if I can watch them all back to back.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline emceeamg

• View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: June 26, 2012, 01:33:33 PM »
woman in black, harry potter edition. 4/10. rubbish

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3390 on: June 26, 2012, 06:17:33 PM »
It's a periodic Vampire action flick centered around Abraham Lincoln. It's not meant to be a polictical or topical movie trying to bury a deeper point behind gory bloody civil war action.

The general idea is a good one though. Not that of Lincoln as a vampire slayer, but the South's slavery all being a front for vampire livestock supplies. The movie barely even touched upon that. In lieu of such a plot, the film should have tried to be funny instead. That's where it really failed. It wasn't a super fun, campy b-movie. It took itself way too serious, while not going far enough to make any kind of point or parallels to the time to justify it.

Quite frankly, the film was a complete dud. I'm glad I didn't pay to see it. I can only imagine that the book is pretty terrible as well, given the the author is who penned the screenplay.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: June 28, 2012, 11:54:49 AM »
Or the author is great at writing books, not screen plays. I've heard the book was good and may check it out once I finish my current read.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: June 29, 2012, 01:23:32 AM »
Perhaps... though I kind of doubt it after becoming bored with the gimmick that was Sense and Sensibility and Zombies. :\

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: June 29, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »
isn't it pride and prejudice and zombies?

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: June 29, 2012, 04:00:14 PM »
The Visitor

After seeing Thomas McCarthy's 'Win Win' a few weeks back, and having enjoyed it very much, I decided to check out another of his films called 'The Visitor'. Much like his more recent film, 'The Visitor' deals with family (or lack there of); but whereas 'Win Win' looked at parental responsibility and the little victories that make life worth living, 'The Visitor' puts more of a focus on Genealogy, immigration and the need for companionship.

Tonally, it's my kind of film, being introspective without being insubstantial. If you can appreciate quiet but affecting indie films I'd definitely recommend it.

3/5
Gouge away.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: June 30, 2012, 01:39:31 PM »
isn't it pride and prejudice and zombies?

It is, you're correct. I was getting it confused with Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters... which was also pretty boring. :P

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: July 01, 2012, 12:18:19 AM »
Seriously? There's a Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters? Now this spin has worn out it's welcome.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: July 01, 2012, 04:12:40 PM »
Android Karenina and  The Meowmorphosis as well. The Pride and Prejudice and Zombies thing turned into a trilogy as well. It's ridiculous.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: July 04, 2012, 02:03:32 PM »
The Amazing Spider-Man (spoilers)
It was good, not great. I would put it on par with Spider-Man 2 which was my favorite of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man films. In terms of comic book movies, it doesn't touch The Dark Knight or Captain America. Yes, I liked Captain America a lot.

It's an interesting take on Spider-Man's origin story though Spider-Man is 1 of 3 comic book origin stories that really don't need to be retold (the others being Batman and Superman). Everyone kind of knows how that goes down. Using Richard and Mary Parker is a departure though there's no payoff... in this film. That plot thread looks like it will be explored in a sequel. I was hoping against hope that the mid-after credits scene would feature Agent Coulson or Nick Fury (since in the comics Peter's parents are both SHIELD agents) and Marvel/Disney secretly negotiated a cross-over. No dice.

The film nixed Uncle Ben's famous line. A small part of me as a Spider-Man fan died a little inside, but the film handles the subtext of that line well. Uncle Ben says it without actually saying it. I tend to avoid reading fan comments on comic book movies, but I'm sure this is one of the things people are complaining about. A friend who does follow fanboy comments (mostly from comicbookmovie.com) was annoyed that The Lizard doesn't have a "proper snout." He's not alone either. Apparently, that was also a big thing. I didn't really care, nor did I care that Connors didn't always wear his lab coat. Seriously, this is what people are bitching about.

The action was good, as was the pacing and characterization (though one seemingly important character played by Irrfan Khan completely disappears midway through the film). It loses points for not really bringing anything new to the table except maybe the short 1st person segments which I didn't think were necessary though I didn't knock them for existing. They didn't make the movie worse. If I absolutely had to nitpick the film for anything, I would have wanted more Spider-Man. Overall, it was a fun movie though considerably less fun than The Avengers but that was a straight action movie. This was the film I was looking forward to the most this summer and I'm not disappointed. I still think The Dark Knight Rises will be the best one.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: July 04, 2012, 02:37:02 PM »
Sounds to me like they did a live action version of the Fox Kids Spiderman Origin.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:52:55 PM by Ceric »