Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553334 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3225 on: May 08, 2012, 11:22:29 PM »
The CGI, which should be horribly dated by now, still holds up because it's only used as a supplement to some of the best animatronics ever used and also a ton of practical effects. This is a lesson Hollywood still hasn't learned.

THIS. This is exactly why the next two Jurassic Park films do NOT hold up as well (they're also f*cking stupid). Man, I should rewatch that movie. I mean, I probably have RECENTLY but hey, it's my #1, so what's the harm?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: May 09, 2012, 09:39:09 AM »
The CGI, which should be horribly dated by now, still holds up because it's only used as a supplement to some of the best animatronics ever used and also a ton of practical effects. This is a lesson Hollywood still hasn't learned.

THIS. This is exactly why the next two Jurassic Park films do NOT hold up as well (they're also f*cking stupid). Man, I should rewatch that movie. I mean, I probably have RECENTLY but hey, it's my #1, so what's the harm?
I can verify that you have.  You've tweeted about it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: May 09, 2012, 11:28:07 AM »
I know it's not a recently released movie, but I finally brought myself to watch The Muppets (I was skeptical of how good it would be).

...I was wrong.  The most fun i've had watching a movie in a long, long time.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: May 09, 2012, 10:52:10 PM »
I know it's not a recently released movie, but I finally brought myself to watch The Muppets (I was skeptical of how good it would be).

So you haven't seen the Avengers yet? You should probably fix that this weekend.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3229 on: May 09, 2012, 11:34:13 PM »
Saw The Avengers in IMAX 3D. My review: Yes.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: May 10, 2012, 08:16:40 AM »

So you haven't seen the Avengers yet? You should probably fix that this weekend.

Probably.  Waiting for the fervor to die down so I can see it in a theater that isn't completely packed.  I prefer to have leg room while watching movies.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: May 10, 2012, 09:03:01 AM »

Probably.  Waiting for the fervor to die down so I can see it in a theater that isn't completely packed.  I prefer to have leg room while watching movies.
I'll be surprised if thats any time soon.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: May 10, 2012, 11:50:22 AM »
I'm about to see it IMAX. Even though I had reservations, the hype makes it seem worthy to do so.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: May 10, 2012, 01:07:24 PM »

I'll be surprised if thats any time soon.

That's fine.  I'm patient, and while I love a good action movie, i'm not the biggest comic book fan (most of my exposure of comic book heroes comes from Saturday morning cartoons, movies, and video games from the 90s).

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3234 on: May 10, 2012, 06:20:06 PM »
It helps if you go at some time like 2PM on a Thursday. Might still be a lot of people, but more than likely you will at least have empty seats next to you.

At the advice of a female "friend", I watched The Vow last night. Liked it, not the typical romantic comedy I expected, which was nice.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: May 10, 2012, 07:16:02 PM »

I loved the Muppets too.  It may have been my favorite movie from last year. And I also recommend seeing the Avengers.  It gets an A+ from me. :)

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: May 10, 2012, 07:18:22 PM »
I last watched Underworld Awakening and The Thing (2011).  Underworld was more of the same of the first two, only better I think.  They just did everything well for this series.  It's not a great story, but I just enjoyed it all.

The Thing was interesting.  The reveals were kind of obvious but it was still enjoyable.  I never saw the Kurt Russell version so I can't comment on how good it is comparably.  It was worth the free rental.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3237 on: May 10, 2012, 09:54:06 PM »
It's kind of the best horror movie ever made (the Snake Pliskin version).
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: May 13, 2012, 05:13:21 PM »

That, and The Fly (Jeff Goldblum) are the best horror movies ever made. Too bad John Carpenter or David Cronenberg haven't made anything worthwhile in the last decade and a half.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:15:04 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3239 on: May 14, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »
Went to see The Avengers on Saturday, one of the best movies I have seen this year. Starts a little slow, but it's alright. Hulk is easily the best part of the movie, the funniest parts of the movie were the interactions between him and Captain America, and especially him and Loki. I am not a huge comic fan, so I have not idea who that tease during the credits was. I think Black Widow was not that good though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #3240 on: May 14, 2012, 05:19:22 PM »
Went to see The Avengers on Saturday, one of the best movies I have seen this year. Starts a little slow, but it's alright. Hulk is easily the best part of the movie, the funniest parts of the movie were the interactions between him and Captain America, and especially him and Loki. I am not a huge comic fan, so I have not idea who that tease during the credits was. I think Black Widow was not that good though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_Gauntlet

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: May 14, 2012, 05:24:09 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_Gauntlet
I counter you another spin off from that.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:26:02 PM by Ceric »

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: May 14, 2012, 06:43:08 PM »
Too bad John Carpenter or David Cronenberg haven't made anything worthwhile in the last decade and a half.
Please tell me this is sarcasm.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: May 14, 2012, 09:11:19 PM »
*batteries not included. It was alright/so-so at best. Every time I see a Steven Spielberg movie I wonder what makes/made him such a renowned director. The characters in this movie are an interesting spectrum (old man who owns a restaurant and his senile wife, beardy artist guy, hispanic preggers woman, mute african-american) but for the whole movie are going "ooohh aahhh wowww" at the spaceships all the while having almost no impact on the plot. That's not totally true; they fight against eviction and having their apartment complex/50s diner from being demolished in favor of a skyscraper. Old vs. new, small town vs. big business, man and machine working together to save a relic of the past; they're not bad ideas, but at 1hr 45, the slowww revelations about the spaceships (they exist; they can repair stuff; they plug into power outlets, and on and on) and cutesyness was dragged out beyond tolerable limits.

:reggie: :reggie: / :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie:
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3244 on: May 14, 2012, 10:20:56 PM »

That, and The Fly (Jeff Goldblum) are the best horror movies ever made. Too bad John Carpenter or David Cronenberg haven't made anything worthwhile in the last decade and a half.

God yes. I love The Fly. My wife hates it--thinks it's too gross. That's the POINT! And it's so tragic!

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: May 14, 2012, 11:46:05 PM »
*batteries not included. It was alright/so-so at best. Every time I see a Steven Spielberg movie I wonder what makes/made him such a renowned director. The characters in this movie are an interesting spectrum (old man who owns a restaurant and his senile wife, beardy artist guy, hispanic preggers woman, mute african-american) but for the whole movie are going "ooohh aahhh wowww" at the spaceships all the while having almost no impact on the plot. That's not totally true; they fight against eviction and having their apartment complex/50s diner from being demolished in favor of a skyscraper. Old vs. new, small town vs. big business, man and machine working together to save a relic of the past; they're not bad ideas, but at 1hr 45, the slowww revelations about the spaceships (they exist; they can repair stuff; they plug into power outlets, and on and on) and cutesyness was dragged out beyond tolerable limits.

Batteries not included is not a Spielberg movie. I wasn't sure from tis post whether you realized that. Don't judge the  mans work based on this pos flick.

Or we're you saying that compared to Spielberg, this movie was not as good?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #3246 on: May 14, 2012, 11:47:05 PM »
I have to make sure I'm not eating when I think of how the Fly eats...

Not really, but it is gross. Special effects people did a good job.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: May 15, 2012, 01:22:58 AM »

when i was a kid i loved watching it, it recently became crack for my nephew.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: May 15, 2012, 02:59:29 AM »
I saw How i Spent My Summer Vacation (or Get The Gringo as it's called in America).

It's good seeing Mel Gibson do an action movie again. Even if he's too old for this ****. Felt almost like a parody of action movies he's done before.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: May 15, 2012, 11:10:34 AM »
He was one of 3(?) executive producers, so he can take some of the blame. Me too Perm, I liked it when I was younger.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.