Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553164 times)

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2975 on: January 26, 2012, 07:24:07 PM »
I agree that the narrative did become far too straight forward. That's a pretty minor flaw though, specially given how amazing it was otherwise. I'm still waiting for the day when Aronofsky makes a genuinely bad film. I was concerned with The Wrestler, but even that pulled through well enough.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2976 on: January 26, 2012, 09:33:07 PM »
I thought Black Swan was effed up to be effed up. I don't appreciate that sort of movie.

Also, maybe it's just me, but doesn't it seem like Kate Beckensale's head is too big for her body?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: January 26, 2012, 11:09:55 PM »
oh well, different tastes i guess. I liked it because i was really engaged with it right from the begining, most movies dont really do that for me. As for the plot yeah it was straight forward but im not sure the director was trying do anything otherwise. While some people don't like watching movies that are fucked up I loved that part of it. I think it would have been a really boring movie without it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:17:55 PM by Lithium »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: January 27, 2012, 12:28:43 AM »
lol Black Swan = Bitch is gone crazy!/10

exactly the type of movie I like to watch. I think I already reviewed it though. So, whats going on with the Wolverine movie now....it sounded so good when Aranofsky was attached, now idk.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #2979 on: January 27, 2012, 04:11:15 AM »
Somebody asked me what I thought of Napoleon Dynamite. I just watched it and I liked it :faust:

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: February 06, 2012, 01:45:59 AM »
Chronicle

This is half of an alright movie half of a terrible movie. There are a bunch of action scene and what not, but none of them are really important. At it's core this is a character movie and it fails. It starts off with some fairly believable characters, for the first half of the movie, it is a fairly amusing. Then the half way point hits like a retarded brick wall and the movie pulls a Hancock. They had to shoehorn in some massive super hero type battle for one reason or another, but the characters and the lead up to it is so ham fisted and retarded, I was shouting "YOU RETARD" in the theater. It was soo bad. The main Character moves from Loser -> better almost normal person -> retard jerkass dick asshole who is a deep as Darth Vadar at the end of the Prequel trilogy NNNNOOOOOOOOO. It wasn't cool a decade ago, it isn't cool now.

3/10
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: February 06, 2012, 02:21:56 AM »
wow.... I was looking forward to that one too.

So bad that in some ways it becomes amusing?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: February 06, 2012, 02:51:29 AM »
I am afraid it's just plain bad. There are some amusing teenage messing around BS, but you will be far too pissed off with how poorly it all goes down in the second half.

It has the same problem Hancock has, it's got a cool idea (Homeless superman/Loser teenager and friends get superpowers), things happen to develop character towards a pretty normall direction. Then at half way you're not watch the same movie anymore. Had it continued towards what it should have been, Chronicle would have been a 5/10, a serviceable movie.

But, no, it does a Geoger Lucas kick the dog moment where in the prequels Anakin just turns(Kills kids younglings), there isn't any real build up towards it, if fact in Chronicle, it's builds towards the opposite direction completely undoing everything the first half of the movie was doing leading to mindless Dragon Ball Z battle. The character who "falls" just decides he's evil now and he goes about it in the most retarded fashion.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: February 06, 2012, 03:38:05 PM »
That's genuinely disappointing. I wasn't going to go to the theater to see it anyways (Safe House is my next theater movie), but I was looking forward to a documentary style action flick.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline leroypantweather

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: February 07, 2012, 02:04:15 PM »
Secret World of Arietty.    by Studio Ghibli.......8.5

This one falls right below Spirited Away and Grave of Fireflies for me.  The relationship between the two main characters is heartwarming, and Arietty is soooo cute.   The dubbed english versions hits US theaters this month I believe so if you cant stand subbed movies or dont know Japanese there is that to look forward too.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2985 on: February 07, 2012, 02:30:05 PM »
I liked the title the Borrowers better.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2986 on: February 08, 2012, 06:40:44 PM »
The Woman in Black. I thought it was OK, not great. Me and my GF both think it could have been better though. The scares were rare but effective when they happened. I wish they would have explained why the villagers wouldn't just move since the woman in black only kills kids in that village. Also, I am not a fan of movies with bad endings. Arther and his son get killed, and the woman makes it clear she will keep killing even though she got her son's body back.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: February 11, 2012, 12:23:58 AM »
Paranormal Activity 3 - 8.5/10

I **** you not, I thought the movie was terrifying. The effects are done so perfectly that you forget that no one had 1080p camcorders in 1988 and believe what you are seeing. It was pretty weird that many of the scenes that were in trailers were not in the actual film though (at least not in the "standard" film). But watching this movie in the dark, whenever something truly freaky would happen, made me feel like I was having one of those bad dreams where you are just frozen in place. The ending does raise a lot of questions though, but they are making a fourth one (which hopefully answers these questions, but ends the series). Good stuff though. I really liked all three of them so far.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2988 on: February 11, 2012, 04:47:57 PM »
I thought the first one was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen, and I don't see how ANYONE could be scared by it. Yes, I watched it in the dark and at night, and there was nothing scary or spooky about it (I started to fall asleep from the boringness.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: February 12, 2012, 02:19:56 AM »
Paranormal Activity 3 - 8.5/10

I **** you not, I thought the movie was terrifying. The effects are done so perfectly that you forget that no one had 1080p camcorders in 1988 and believe what you are seeing. It was pretty weird that many of the scenes that were in trailers were not in the actual film though (at least not in the "standard" film). But watching this movie in the dark, whenever something truly freaky would happen, made me feel like I was having one of those bad dreams where you are just frozen in place. The ending does raise a lot of questions though, but they are making a fourth one (which hopefully answers these questions, but ends the series). Good stuff though. I really liked all three of them so far.

i need to watch it, but do they mention what type of cameras they use? Is it like video, super 8, something else?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: February 12, 2012, 07:50:46 AM »
I thought the first one was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen, and I don't see how ANYONE could be scared by it. Yes, I watched it in the dark and at night, and there was nothing scary or spooky about it (I started to fall asleep from the boringness.

The third one is not much better.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: February 12, 2012, 10:10:37 AM »
Saw Star Wars: Episode 1: The Phantom Menace  3D doesn't add anything really.  The Movie theater showing really makes it easy to pick out the CG.  The CG looks better than the real stuff. 
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: February 12, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »
Oohhboy, that's the first completely negative review I've seen of the movie. I saw it yesterday and I thought it was great, myself.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: February 12, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »
Oohhboy, that's the first completely negative review I've seen of the movie. I saw it yesterday and I thought it was great, myself.
I would put it as Ambivalent.

The movie was no better than the first time I saw it in the theater.

In contrast I saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in the theaters just about a month ago.  The cleanup work they did on that movie was superb.  I can honestly say it looked better than the Non-CG portions of Phantom Menace.

Honestly I was expecting a little bit more out of this then was provided.  Especially since the podcasts and space scenes where all digitally done and many parts of those would have really lend  themselves to 3D.  The 3D just wasn't there.

I enjoyed the movie less than the original airing I saw because I've seen how Movies have progressed.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: February 12, 2012, 09:01:57 PM »
I was talking about his Chronicle review.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: February 12, 2012, 10:51:26 PM »
Quickies...

The Thing (2011)
Mediocre with no reason to exist. The movie actually contained a lot of practical effects, but they were almost all covered up by a ton of ugly CGI. The movie is almost a shot-for-shot rehash throughout most of its run time. There was absolutely no suspense or paranoia amongst the characters, as the creature is exposed almost right away. If this film didn't try to attach itself to one of the best horror flicks ever made, it would have been mediocre. As it stands though, it's little more than a terrible imposter than needs to be incinerated.

Conan the Barbarian (2011)
Lame and boring. The only reason I even watched this was because Jason Momoa really impressed me in Game of Thrones. Unfortunately, he just couldn't manage to channel that Khal Drogo attitude within this terrible plot. He didn't even look as buff in this. Rose McGowan was alright.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)
I was actually surprised that this was as good as it was. I really wish it hadn't been a reboot of such a great franchise though, because it simply doesn't stand up. The tone is all wrong and the social commentary non-existent. That aside, it was good for what it was... y'know, aside from the terrible CG apes running around everywhere. The animations seemed off in almost every scene involving an ape. Likewise, the lighting was terrible on just about every one of them, making them look plastic and fake. It's hard to fight your suspension of disbelief when you're looking at stuff like this. It's especially laughable given just how great the make-up in the original film looked. Caesar speaking lessened what could have otherwise been two very impactful moments. He knew a full array of sign language but didn't seem to utilize it very often. His keeper quoting Charlton Heston was terrible. It was laugh out loud terrible.

Anonymous (2011)
It was interesting, if not far-fetched. I've always been of the persuasion that the person we know as William Shakespeare was not truly the author of all the works attributed to him. That said, there is so many factual routes that could have been taken to create an interesting film, that I have to wonder why they decided to go the route of political intrigue instead. The acting was all top-notch, with a few very well known Shakespearean thespians turning in great performances. The film kept me pretty well entertained once I realized that it wasn't trying to be a serious historical picture.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: February 13, 2012, 09:47:17 AM »
I was talking about his Chronicle review.
I was tired when I wrote that so I just read it wrong.  I needed to expand what I said anyways.

To that Note:  Watched Spider-Man because my son wanted to.  I remember it being a much better movie when it first came out and it feels like it was in the 80's to me know instead of 2002.  A lot of things have changed much more then I thought since that movie was made.  Plus movies themselves have changed.  I think that's going to be a theme of re-watching movies in the 1999-2003 time period.

Its an OK movie.  Though I have to say if it was released now I probably put it below Green Lantern in the current crop of Superhero movies.

:-\ :D :D :-\ :confused; ;D :-\ :)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: February 13, 2012, 11:54:04 AM »
I felt the same way about Spider-Man back when I watched it again a few years ago. It felt so dated despite only being like 7 years old at the time. I'm really looking forward to The Amazing Spider-Man though.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: February 13, 2012, 12:22:30 PM »
I felt the same way about Spider-Man back when I watched it again a few years ago. It felt so dated despite only being like 7 years old at the time. I'm really looking forward to The Amazing Spider-Man though.
The more I see of the Movie the more I prefer the budget went to extending the Spectacular Spider-Man Cartoon.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2999 on: February 13, 2012, 03:35:40 PM »
Hearts in Atlantis - Girlfriend made me watched it, but I enjoyed it. I hate it when things are not explained in a movie because they expect you to have seen or read other things first (for example, you need to have read King's other books to know what the "low men" are or where Ted was going to at the end of the movie). Really good though and pretty touching.

I also watched the remake of Footloose. I never saw the original, but I have heard many people say the remake is better. I loved the movie, and I heard that they added the car accident (where 5 teenage kids get drunk and drive off a bridge) as an explanation for why dancing for kids is banned in the town. I guess all those teens must love to sneak off and dance since most of them are great dancers. LOL
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:18:02 PM by TJ Spyke »