Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553208 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2700 on: October 07, 2011, 02:40:13 AM »
Trollhunter

Awesome. The special effects were used sparingly, but nicely integrated into the scenes when they did appear. This is saying something too, as the panoramic scenes through Norway are simply beautiful. The camera work was actually very tolerable... perhaps the first-ever "found footage" type of film to not lapse in that regard. Otto Jespersen pretty much steals the show as the titular troll hunter.

My gripe? A little too much time was spent simply driving around. I would have preferred to hear more about the underlying biological reasons for trolls to exist. We're given some pretty interesting insight into them as is, but more would have been better given the scenario.

I'd recommend watching the film before Hollywood remakes it for an American audience, dumbing-down and destroying everything good in the process.

I liked it too, but I was similarly disappointed about the lack of information ABOUT trolls. I also didn't really understand why they went from troll to troll. But it was pretty awesome--the three-headed troll was the best one, IMO.

I just watched this one, and it was better than expected (especially since that was my 4th time trying to watch it), but I just had one question that was answered and then re-emerged at the end of the film again.

Where does the 200ft Troll sleep to avoid the sun? Where does the majority of Trolls sleep to avoid the sun? The adult ones are the size of trees, and even though the forest provides alot of cover, sunlight still gets through.

But overall, much better than expected. I was thinking about going back an MFT-ing the movie, but really the worst I could do is show off the trolls... unless I make fun of the cave scene (which was hilarious BTW)a proper fart joke is always funny. And that troll fart was soooo bad and sooo long that not only could you sense how bad it was from the look on their faces, but you could see the fog/smoke as it passed by that little camera. I'm lmao just thinking about it. But really, there was nothing wrong with the movie to really make fun of it, other than the Troll Hunter guy sounding like a Native American in the English Dubbing.

I give it a 3.7/5

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: October 07, 2011, 10:43:09 AM »
Arena: 7.5/10

Low budget movie that somehow got Samuel L. Jackson to play the villain. SLJ is a guy who sets up these 'barbaric' arena battles and broadcasts them online, while hiding from the world's governments who want to shut him down. The protagonist becomes his best and most unruly fighter and things go from there. I liked it, kind of cheesy, some plot holes, but it was way more than I expected it to be.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: October 07, 2011, 03:23:51 PM »
The Darjeeling Limited 9/10

Where has this movie been all my life? Wes Anderson you sneaking bastard.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2703 on: October 07, 2011, 08:47:48 PM »
I don't know if it's here or back on the GameInformer forums (BAAACK in the day), but I continue to voice my absolute hatred for all Wes Anderson movies.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: October 07, 2011, 08:54:41 PM »
Well, I finally got around to watching Transformers: Dark of the Moon, and yeah it's crap.  I liked the first Transformers movie, but man have these last two been terrible.  What strikes me most about this movie besides how terrible the writing is is how boring this entire movie is, for different reasons at different points.  The first half of the movie focusing on the humans was boring because I didn't care about any of them (especially "Shia Le Butt****" as Spoony calls him).  The second half of the movie focusing on Transformers battle sequences was boring because the scenes just drag on and on and on without end; it gets near-impossible to tell what's a Deceptacon and what's an Autobot (especially once the Autobots start commandeering the Deceptacons' nonsensical fighter jets); and the end I just....don't....care about any of them.  And the whole story thread with Sentinel Prime makes no g-damn sense how it plays out, let alone the Deceptacons' "plan" for the humans (something that isn't hinted at in the slightest in previous movies).

It's kind of sad that the episode of the Clone Wars I watched afterwards featuring Gungan Ninjas was more interesting and better staged than this multi-million dollar blockbuster.  Please let this be the last Transformers movie, because this is getting depressing.  I've heard opinions that maybe Bay "should" do Unicron next, and he hasn't earned the right to do Unicron with how bad these last few films were.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 09:04:54 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: October 07, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »
I don't know if it's here or back on the GameInformer forums (BAAACK in the day), but I continue to voice my absolute hatred for all Wes Anderson movies.

How can you hate Fantastic Mr. Fox? I understand some people don't like The Life Aquatic, but Fantastic Mr. Fox can't be hated.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2706 on: October 07, 2011, 09:13:03 PM »
Yes it can.

Read the book, then watch the movie. Then realize that Wes Anderson basically Wes Anderson-ized a wonderful children's story with his obsession with dysfunctional relationships.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: October 07, 2011, 10:09:11 PM »
I've read the book and I love it. I've read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and loved Disney's version. I've also read To Kill a Mocking Bird and loved the movie. There are plenty of great stories that turned into great movies. It's not such an uncommon thing.

Wes Anderson did what only Wes Anderson could, provided the wit that have made his movies cult classics and paired it with 'Fantastic's charm . Mr. Fox's son is enough reason to like to movie on its own. The lines he wrote for him were fantastic (no pun intended).

Also the stop-motion was incredibly well done and a feat to his directorial prowess. In fact, it's one of the best usages of stop-motion I have seen in a long time (but that could be mainly because there haven't been many made). Still, it could have been much easier for him to go with CGI or animation.

I suggest you watch The Darjeeling Limited (with the opening short film 'Hotel Chevaliar' where Natalie Portman gets completely naked). It's a sad, wonderful movie that had me rolling with laughter.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2708 on: October 08, 2011, 07:35:44 PM »
I've read the book and I love it. I've read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and loved Disney's version. I've also read To Kill a Mocking Bird and loved the movie. There are plenty of great stories that turned into great movies. It's not such an uncommon thing.

Wes Anderson did what only Wes Anderson could, provided the wit that have made his movies cult classics and paired it with 'Fantastic's charm . Mr. Fox's son is enough reason to like to movie on its own. The lines he wrote for him were fantastic (no pun intended).

Also the stop-motion was incredibly well done and a feat to his directorial prowess. In fact, it's one of the best usages of stop-motion I have seen in a long time (but that could be mainly because there haven't been many made). Still, it could have been much easier for him to go with CGI or animation.

I suggest you watch The Darjeeling Limited (with the opening short film 'Hotel Chevaliar' where Natalie Portman gets completely naked). It's a sad, wonderful movie that had me rolling with laughter.

Meh. I think you overestimate the appeal of a nekkid Natalie Portman, who appears to have never hit puberty. There's actually a term for that--paedomorphosis, where adult features don't "kick in" and, sometimes, this results in the evolution of a new group of animals. Sauropods, for instance, are probably "juvenile" prosauropods, as are most maniraptors. Hell, humans are basically juvenile chimpanzees.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: October 08, 2011, 08:00:17 PM »
She gets totally naked but the best you get to see is a side shot of her butt. The photos of her at the beach from several years ago show more than she ever has in any movie.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: October 09, 2011, 08:54:23 AM »
Meh. I think you overestimate the appeal of a nekkid Natalie Portman

are you a gay? natalie portman is amazing. i would watch a movie just to see her in a tank top.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:58:57 AM by Dasmos »
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: October 09, 2011, 09:47:47 AM »
Let Me In
It's alright. I haven't seen Let the Right One In since 2009 but they're about the same movie. This one just happens to be in English. From what I remember, they really only cut one thing and it doesn't change much. The end of Let Me In seemed rushed. That was probably the only thing I disliked about it. All in all, it was worth watching though I probably won't go out of my way to watch it again.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: October 09, 2011, 10:46:11 AM »

are you a gay? natalie portman is amazing. i would watch a movie just to see her in a tank top.

Are you gay? You like women that have the body of little boys? :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: October 09, 2011, 12:08:35 PM »

But you like women that have the cock & balls of a man....

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: October 09, 2011, 12:21:16 PM »
Scre4m

Better than expected. I wasn't terribly shocked to find out who Ghostface was this time, but it wasn't who I expected. The motivation behind it was understandable within the confines of the series, but the execution (pun intended) was questionable.

The movie plays off the deeper understanding of horror movies like it's prequels, but they forgot 2 very important things, never stop and tell the good guy your plan just before you plan to kill them. Just kill them and be done with it. And make sure they are dead, never assume the person you thought you killed is dead. be certain about it.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: October 09, 2011, 02:48:33 PM »

But you like women that have the cock & balls of a man....

I like my women to look like women, regardless of plumbing. ;)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2716 on: October 09, 2011, 06:59:31 PM »
We live in a world populated by Sofia Vergara, Christina Hendricks, Salma Hayek, and (at one time) Marilyn Monroe. I'm really unsure of how stick-thin waifs like Natalie Portman, Kristin Stewart, and that Gossip Girl chick are considered remotely attractive by comparison.

Maybe it's just me.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: October 09, 2011, 08:39:43 PM »
Ahhh so you like fatties?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: October 10, 2011, 02:33:32 AM »
We live in a world populated by Sofia Vergara, Christina Hendricks, Salma Hayek, and (at one time) Marilyn Monroe. I'm really unsure of how stick-thin waifs like Natalie Portman, Kristin Stewart, and that Gossip Girl chick are considered remotely attractive by comparison.

Maybe it's just me.

those girls have really pretty eyes, and Salma Hayak and Kristin Stewart look kinda alike, except Salma Hayak has amazing tits.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: October 10, 2011, 11:25:38 AM »

Maybe it's just me.

those girls have really pretty eyes, and Salma Hayak and Kristin Stewart look kinda alike, except Salma Hayak has amazing tits.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: October 13, 2011, 04:20:23 PM »
Dear 'Insidious',

Your movie watches like the greatest hits of Asian Horror but without the pacing, tension, and overall directorial prowess. You squandered your main premise by making what could have been a completely awesome freaky scene into a dull house of horrors. Your characters, including your scary ones, were either bland or outright goofy, and your climax played out more like a sci-fi channel original instead of a big hollywood movie. At least you ended it decently (though who didn't see that coming).

Never watching you again,
Stogi

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: October 13, 2011, 06:54:42 PM »
Dear 'Insidious',

Your movie watches like the greatest hits of Asian Horror but without the pacing, tension, and overall directorial prowess. You squandered your main premise by making what could have been a completely awesome freaky scene into a dull house of horrors. Your characters, including your scary ones, were either bland or outright goofy, and your climax played out more like a sci-fi channel original instead of a big hollywood movie. At least you ended it decently (though who didn't see that coming).

Never watching you again,
Stogi

I disagree with you, but that was great.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: October 14, 2011, 05:56:26 AM »

they have similar jaw structures, and their eyebrows are the same

heres what happens when you merge their faces

this website is cool as ****

http://www.morphthing.com/celebrity/10108598

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 06:55:15 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: October 14, 2011, 10:33:22 AM »
Except they left out a very important detail. Kristen Stewart loks dead 100% of the time, even when she moves. Every movie she looks dead.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: October 14, 2011, 10:53:06 AM »
I think that I prefer that second morphed face over all the other ones in that post.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.