Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553233 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2475 on: July 31, 2011, 01:40:15 PM »
Capt. America did everything it needed to do and it did it well.
It was, I think, the best out of the 4 I saw yesterday.

Most of the CG was done really well, and I didn't really even notice it at all until the hangar scene where it was obvious that nothing was real as the giant rubber tires and the smooth grey metal rims gave it away.

My only gripe with this movie is the same gripe I have with every Marvel Studios movie. Why do we have to wai ttill the very end of the credits for the teaser? No one, and I mean NO ONE reads the damn credits, so it's not like it's necessary to focus our attention on it for a solid 5-7 minutes when none of us care who the 75 3D effect artist were or the 42 3D depth affect artist were and the other 51 3D sound engineers are. Atleast play some movie clips during the credits or the actual teaser during the credits. i's a very very long wait for the 45second trailer at end of the movie.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: July 31, 2011, 09:48:22 PM »
I think there are a few reasons to wait, the biggest being that if there isn't the seperation it stops being a teaser and becomes the end of the movie.  The teaser is a bonus for fans and the general public would just be confused that the movie ended with something like  Thor's hammer crashing in the desert. The gap really needs to be  there to keep it seperate from the movie itself.  I also think its kind of their way to reward the "dedication" of fans and make them feel special.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2477 on: July 31, 2011, 10:34:40 PM »
It's annoying if you don't know there is a teaser though. Like I missed the teaser at the end of Fast Five because I didn't see any reviews mention it and most movies don't do it (so I had no reason to expect it).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: August 01, 2011, 01:25:43 AM »
Das Feurzeug is good, and i like the east german movie versions produced by DEFA.

also, as far as movies that borrow from captain america....

Hulk-same super serum idea...just adapted for the 60s
Hunk-an 80s movie about a scrawny guy becoming a big dude...even has a penis enlarging scene.

austin powers-the end

you can't say Captain America is generic, the truth in that genre its the real deal.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:29:00 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: August 01, 2011, 01:35:56 AM »
I just want to jump in and say something that I forgot to say earlier.

Horrible Bosses: Jennifer Aniston was fucking sooooo hot in that movie. I wish J. Aniston could be my horrible boss. I would love to have his problem because it wouldn't be a problem at all in my eye. She was seriously the hottest I've ever seen her in this movie, especially and most specifically during the iPad photo scenes. No sympathy for Charlie in that movie at all..... not from me and not from my girl either. We both would love to have that "horrible boss".

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: August 01, 2011, 02:13:32 AM »
yeah sometimes she pulls out the hot

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: August 03, 2011, 12:56:48 AM »
SAW: The Final Chapter - 5/10
The movie was basically half random traps and half poorly acted continuation of the original story. While the acting and cinematography gets worse with each movie, I must say that the way they continue the franchise is actually pretty clever. It's definitely the most gruesome of any of the SAW movies, so at least it has that going for it. I was genuinely surprised by the ending (though there was a little bit of foreshadowing earlier in the film), but again, it was pretty clever and actually made sense. One good thing about the series is that they've always been able to get actors from the other films to do new scenes to give you a "behind the scenes" look at how the traps were set up. Anyway, as a movie in general, it sucked, but I've seen all the other ones and I got the Blu Ray for free.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: August 03, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »
Your Highness: 7.5/10

This movie wasn't very funny, and the plot was nothing original, but for a reason I can't explain, I liked it.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: August 06, 2011, 09:54:53 PM »
Your Highness Liked it, i probably already reviewed it but **** it.
The Adjustment Bureau liked it
Season of the Witch ok what the **** is up with everyone else, cus i thought this one was pretty good, there was some bad cg in the end, but not enough to hate the movie. If this was 1996 nobody would say a damn thing about it, and would probably praise it for being good.   If i was in 8th grade this would be my favorite movie. Screw Nicolas Cage haters. I'm surprised at how non hammy he was. Kinda wish there was a Sam Raimi version though.
Hall Pass Eh, not the greatest comedy movie. Still funny with some LOL moments. Rental
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 09:57:59 PM by ThePerm »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: August 06, 2011, 11:46:40 PM »
The best part of Hall Pass was Steven Merchant, he even made Tooth Fairy watchable...and funny.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2485 on: August 07, 2011, 02:43:28 AM »
In response to that, I give you Cars and Cars 2.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: August 08, 2011, 08:19:24 AM »
So this weekend my niece and I did a Movie Marathon Madness. She's 16 and quoted Gone With the Wind, and I was like what the hell do you know about that? And she's like, not much but I'd like to see it, and I was like, oh well I have the movie on DVD. We started with that then just started watching some downloaded movies:

Gone With the Wind: 9.8/10 Still one of my favorites of all time. Jeebuz is it long, but it's still good, and I've never seen another movie with such amazing cinematography.

Transformers 3: 8/10 Pretty good, I like the history tie in, and the battles were cool. The girl that replaced Megan Fox is smoking freaking hot, and a better actress.

Horrible Bosses: 8.2/10 Very funny, good plot twists for a comedy, and a non-typical resolution. Oh, and as BnM said Jennifer Aniston was super hot in this.

Cold Prey: 6.6/10 Pretty typical horror movie, but it was okay. It's about snowboarders boarding up in an old hotel and then being hunted and killed by someone or thing...

Insidious: 6.9/10 Meh. I liked the idea, and some of the scenes were as cool as they were creepy, but the acting was rather second rate, as was the writing.

The Conspirator: 8.1/10 I'm a big fan of history, and I'm glad they shone a little light on this part of our country's history because it seems to be happening again. But I'll leave it at that for the sake of not walking the political line.

Unknown: 7.9/10 Very confusing at first, but it has a good pace, and Liam Neeson is a good actor and pulls the story along by keeping you interested in his plight.

Water for Elephants: 8/10 Robert Paterson's Keauno Reeves (sp? on both names) like acting annoys the **** out of me, but this was a very good story. I didn't like the flashback, storytelling aspect of it, (ala the old lady in Titanic) but the rest of it was good. I also found it interesting that the guy with carnival in Heroes is the guy with the Circus in this movie.

Sucker Punch: 8.1/10 Really cool movie. I loved the three worlds it presented and the overlaying trouble that the stress of her first created fantasy was still to much to bear, and she needed the third completely over the top level to actually survive and do what needed to be done. I didn't like the ending because not only did I want her to get away, it was sad that she got the lobotomy, but that doctor did say she looked at him like she wanted him to do it. That might have been because of what happened after she kicked that guy in the balls

Hall Pass: 6.8/10 Meh. I didn't find it all that funny, but there were some really funny moments, and the ending wasn't typical.

Bad Teacher: 7.2/10 Funny, had a few lessons to learn, but pretty shallow story.

I Am Number Four: 8.3/10 I liked this one a lot, but I just wish it would have been fleshed out a little more. There'll likely be a sequel or two (although the movie's title doesn't lend itself well to sequeling) that will hopefully explain more and be deeper. There was a good amount of action in this movie, coupled with suspense, and an evolving story, one of my favorites of the weekend.

So there it is, three days, thirteen movies, and a lot of Maryjane (for me, not my niece).
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: August 08, 2011, 11:16:53 AM »
Sounds like it was all down hill after Gone With the Wind...
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: August 08, 2011, 11:35:29 AM »
I recently watched both X-Men First Class and Ed Wood.  Both movies were alright, though neither were movies I'd really want to watch again.  I think my problem with X-Men is that I just didn't care about the vast majority of the characters, not helped by most being fairly new to me even as someone who has watched most of the X-Men cartoons.  As for Ed Wood, it's a strange movie and well-made, but maybe not as amusing as I expected from a film about one of the Worst Film Directors of All Time?  Great performances, though.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: August 08, 2011, 02:41:22 PM »
Sounds like it was all down hill after Gone With the Wind...

Yeah, if I could do it over again that would be the last one we watched.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: August 08, 2011, 05:26:56 PM »
I loved Ed Wood, probably Tim Burton's best. Wish he'd go back to making stuff like that instead of his big budget remakery bullshit. I'm betting he'll return to greatness with Dark Shadows.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: August 08, 2011, 06:38:02 PM »
Too bad Dark Shadows is a remake too...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: August 08, 2011, 09:47:28 PM »
I really liked Big Fish.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: August 09, 2011, 05:40:46 AM »

of a TV show though, plus its all gothicy and stuff. So it kinda falls under his own thing. Also, Ed Wood was a remake of Ed Woods life. But yeah Planet of the Apes, Willy Wonka, Alice in Wonderland are all things that should never have been touched. I am ambivalent about Sweeney Todd mainly because it was a mixed bag.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: August 09, 2011, 04:35:24 PM »
Sweeney Todd was well directed, but fell flat because it was pretty boring as far as musicals go.

I really don't think Tim Burton "has it" anymore. Likewise, I don't think Johnny Depp does either. They've both been doing crap so long at this point that another collaboration probably won't help.

That atrocious Will Wonka adaptation should have been done in the creepy, gothic style that Burton worked so hard to establish for himself. The original adaptation will Gene Wilder was already pretty friggin' creepy. Going all out would have been about the only way to conceivably justify the existence of a new version.

Actually, come to think of it... Alice in Wonderland should have been creepy instead of silly and childish. Maybe we should let American McGee put his vision on film instead?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 07:35:01 PM by Morari »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: August 09, 2011, 04:46:04 PM »
There are a lot of stories that are a lot darker then there original Movie Debut.  Return to Oz is darker than Wizard of Oz.  And from what I understand the books are more like Return to Oz.  I think I got to make more references to this movie this month than I have for ... well ever.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: August 09, 2011, 06:35:35 PM »
That is of course true. The point I was trying to make though, is that if you just have to create a new adaptation, it should bring something fresh to the property. Tim Burton doesn't do that, even though historically we know he would be capable of it.

It's like bands that get famous on the radio because their one single is an uninspired cover of a song that was already a hit. If you're going to remake something, put a fresh spin on it. Justify its existence somehow instead of just retreading past paths.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 07:35:12 PM by Morari »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: August 09, 2011, 06:48:38 PM »
true, its been like 10 years or so since he's made something thats great. He may not have his it factor anymore. From all indications from Kevin smith he's become an eccentric Hollywood type. You know who went to animation school with Tim Burton? John Lasseter, creator of a number of awesome Pixar things. I'd hate to totally abandon Tim Burton though, he's created classic great movies. He was younger though. Quinton Tarantino was talking about how he wants to retire when he turns 60 because he doesn't want to become one of those old directors that direct horrible movies in their later years. That totally saddens me because he takes 3 years between movies and he's already 48 and his last movie was awesome in so many ways.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: August 09, 2011, 07:25:16 PM »

of a TV show though, plus its all gothicy and stuff. So it kinda falls under his own thing. Also, Ed Wood was a remake of Ed Woods life. But yeah Planet of the Apes, Willy Wonka, Alice in Wonderland are all things that should never have been touched. I am ambivalent about Sweeney Todd mainly because it was a mixed bag.

The new Alice in Wonderland was a sequel, so they did leave the original alone. The new Willy Wonka was good, but it was no where near as good as the original and that's where it failed so maybe they shouldn't have touched it, but they did make a good movie. Planet of the Apes, I thought it was better than the original, I know I'm in a very small minority on that one, but there it is. And I loved Sweeney Todd, and there's been like 4 different movie versions of it over the years.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2499 on: August 09, 2011, 07:47:36 PM »
I liked Burton's Apes movie (so I am in that minority too), though I will disagree that it was better than any of the originals (except maybe Beneath the Planet of the Apes, which I thought sucked). I didn't like his Wonka movie, in particular the extended focus on Wonka's backstory.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20