Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553138 times)

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2050 on: February 15, 2011, 09:12:01 PM »
The Social Network - 4/5
The creator of Napster tries to escape his troublesome past

Very entertaining but almost too well written, people just aren't that witty and cool in real life. Only an Oscar chance for adapted screenplay.

The Green Hornet - 2/5
A dark look at organised crime in Los Angeles.

It's like Seth Rogan ad libbed all his lines and they just took the first cut. Really poorly written and worthless use of 3D.

Election - 4/5
Story of a young lesbian and how she tricks her way into a Catholic school

I really liked it, one of those films that has you silently chuckling away. The cameo from Ferris Bueller was cool too.

Aww man you guys were tlaking about Monsters. I wanted to see that but all my friends were faggots. I've deided I'm not taking their **** anymore, if I wanna see an arthouse film with a limited release I'll go on my own.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:13:42 PM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: February 16, 2011, 04:56:06 PM »
An American Affair: 8/10

Interesting movie that takes a side view of JFK's assination by focusing on a woman he is having an affair with, and her young neighbor. The movie was well paced, and well acted, and overall just very enjoyable.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: February 20, 2011, 01:32:12 PM »
I'm using a hotel computer at the moment so I'll make this brief: I recently watched the latest DC Animated movie, All-Star Superman, and it's pretty terrible.  The problem with the movie is that the creators tried to take an entire 12-episode story arc (as opposed to the 5-6 episode story arcs they have done previously) and try to tell it in one relatively-short movie.  The movie feels like a series of vignettes very loosly and badly strung together, none of them bad on their own but confusing and seemingly random when merged together.  The voice cast was ok, but nothing special.  Ditto for the animation, though Parasite had some excellent animation.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2053 on: February 20, 2011, 04:30:48 PM »
I was wondering exactly what that was, but I think I'll avoid it. I struggle to find Superman interesting anyway.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: February 20, 2011, 04:32:49 PM »
Case 39

Much better than I thought it would be. I called the ending though (but I said it as a joke).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 02:30:04 PM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: February 22, 2011, 01:14:24 PM »
The Losers: Crap!
I managed to get through it, but the best part was Zoe Saldana, yeah she's skinny, no chest, blah blah blah, but I like skinny girls.

Gattaca: 8/10
I think this was the third, fourth, or fifth time I watched this movie and its still great, and still relevant.

Battle for Marjah: 8/10
HBO documentary about an offensive in Afghanistan. I actually did not like the way this movie was directed/edited, but it was eye opening, and informational, and for that I rank it highly. I watch a lot of documentaries about WWI, WWII, Vietnam, etc. and this documentary was very unique in its presentation, very personal with the soldiers, and frankly unflattering to the American soldiers and everything they're doing, but we can't discuss poiltics so I'll leave it there.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: February 24, 2011, 08:53:04 PM »
Who Framed Roger Rabbit: 10/10

Falling Down: 10/10

Unknown 8/10
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2057 on: February 24, 2011, 09:08:18 PM »
EasyCure, do you have the DVD of Roger Rabbit? It has a ton of bonus features.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: February 24, 2011, 09:29:44 PM »
Paranormal Activity 2 8/10  Didn't scare the **** out of me like the last one, but was pretty entertaining.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2059 on: February 24, 2011, 09:44:43 PM »
I thought the first one was terrible. I wasn't scared, I was bored out of my mind and honestly wonder how it did so well (same thing with Wedding Crashers, it was a huge hit but I hated it).

Not really a movie since it's just a 1 hour episode, but I just watched "It's a Trap!" (the Family Guy parody of Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, which airs on TV in May). Why has this gotten so much hate online? I loved it and found it better than most of the normal episodes of the show. The DVD also has some pretty cool features, like a 31-minute long video of four FG executives playing Trivial Pursuit Star Wars. I guess I would rate it 9/10.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: February 24, 2011, 09:47:59 PM »
I just watched Blue Harvest. It was enjoyable. It made me look forward to seeing the next ones. Though the Star Wars nerd in me felt some stuff was done poorly. I was hoping for a larger joke revolving around 'Han shooting first'. I am continually impressed with the animation of the show. Are they rendering a Wind Waker style cel-shading in some scenes?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: February 24, 2011, 11:50:18 PM »
I know alot of us have watched Inception and some of us may even think it was mind blowing and truly original (other think it was neither), but have any of you ever though that Inception may have been ripped right from the pages of an old ass Donald Duck Comic(if if it was done subconsciously)?

Now read how similar it sounds to the Donald Duck Comic in question.
Cracked.Com: 5 Amazing Things Invented By Donald Duck

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: February 25, 2011, 05:09:23 PM »
The Corn is Green(1945): 9/10

TCM is having 31 days of Oscar and showing movies that either won or were nominated for best picture, and this movie was definitely worthy of a win.

The Corn is Green is about an unmarried woman in 1869 Wales teaching a brilliant young man who was born into a mining town, and whose entire family died in a mining accident. He's working in the coal mines when she arrives, then she sets up a school, discovers him, and takes him through his education. Within all that was a funny, and moving story about five people (the teacher, student, two helpers who become teachers, and a young girl) living within the confines of English society.

All in all, a very good and memorable movie.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2063 on: February 27, 2011, 05:49:39 PM »
I'm in the middle of Roger Rabbit, too. The older I get, the more blown away I am at that movie. The incredible skill of choreography and animations that went into that, to mesh it with the live actors so well is...I mean, you just don't see that anymore. THERE WERE NO GREENSCREENS (except IN Toontown at the end, I suspect).
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: February 28, 2011, 10:12:05 PM »
[REC]

9/10

This is the best horror flick I've seen since "The Mist". Not only is the cinematography great, but it's put to such good use. There are so many different types of scares; the jumpy scare, the long intense OMG "what's going to happen?" scare, the final reveal and sinking in the gut scare. It's all there. But not only are they all there, they are all so well done that towards the end of the movie, I was only inches away from my TV. That's right. I got up and moved closer. I couldn't help it.

Now the movie is originally from Spain and so is in spanish, but there is a dub version. I didn't watch the dub and instead went with the subtitles. I think that was the right choice.

As usual with scary movies, I watch them first by myself in the middle of night with every light off. Fucked up thing was, there were tornado sirens outside during a good 20 minutes of it, making it even more intense. Watchin it with a chick this thursday. We'll see if it holds up like "The Mist".
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:16:19 PM by The Unagi »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: February 28, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
I'm in the middle of Roger Rabbit, too. The older I get, the more blown away I am at that movie. The incredible skill of choreography and animations that went into that, to mesh it with the live actors so well is...I mean, you just don't see that anymore. THERE WERE NO GREENSCREENS (except IN Toontown at the end, I suspect).

I still can't fathom why we don't have that movie on Blu-Ray by now.  It's a fantastic movie, and one that just deserves to be on the format given the potential for really rich colors in the transfer.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: March 01, 2011, 12:00:17 AM »
yeah i wanted to check out [REC], i saw quarantine, the american version. That was pretty decent.

I also need to check out Let the Right One In, and the Gril with the Dragon Tattoo.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: March 01, 2011, 12:18:11 AM »
Pluse you get to see a cartoon vagina in HD.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: March 01, 2011, 12:48:49 AM »
I don't recall any vaginas in Roger Rabbit, just a lot of patty cake going around.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2069 on: March 01, 2011, 12:54:52 AM »
I think I know what he is talking about (if you don't, check out snopes.com where they talk about a scene where you supposedly can see Jessica Rabbit's vagina for 1 frame).

I was bored yesterday, so I watched Good Burger on ABC Family. By no means is it a classic, but I enjoyed it and don't think it's that bad (and I used to love the Good Burger segments on All That).

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: March 01, 2011, 06:50:05 AM »
Had no idea Quarantine was a remake. I can't believe REC was only a year old when Quarantine was released. Talk about a money grab.

Well I read a few reviews and people say Quarantine is one of the best remakes they've seen, but REC takes the cake hands down.

Anyway, REC is still fucking with me. I'm doing some more research into what I should watch next (I'm thinking the original "Shutter"), but sometimes I find myself thinking about the end of that damn movie and I get creeped out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: March 06, 2011, 07:00:40 PM »
Hard Candy 9/10 Good fucking movie. Never have I ever gone back in forth so much on who i should sympathize with.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: March 06, 2011, 08:05:59 PM »
Tenure: 7/10
Pretty good, often funny, strong characters.

Domestic Disturbance: 6.8/10
Despite Vince Vaughn giving a good non-comedic performance, the movie was very average.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: March 06, 2011, 08:23:07 PM »
The Importance of Being Earnest 8/10 its hard to enjoy a Victorian piece, but i read the play in high school and always thought it was pretty funny. It makes me wonder how I would do in different time periods. 

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: March 06, 2011, 09:28:30 PM »
I watched a couple of films today, both of which I thought were pretty "meh", Red Dawn and Tron Legacy.  I watched the former because the upcoming "Homefront" game intrigued me to see the previous movie that that writer had done.  Overall, it's a pretty long and dull 80s movie, with effects that border on the laughable; characters I really didn't care about; and a plot that just seemed to take forever to not really go anywhere.  I often joke that mankind hadn't discovered cinematic pacing until Star Wars came out, but this movie feels like something stolen from the 1970s.  At least I now know this is the movie referenced whenever something like Modern Warfare 2 screams "WOLVERINES!"  Hopefully, Homefront will be a better game than Red Dawn is a movie.

As for Tron Legacy, it is a wondrous achievement in art design and boasts a wonderful soundtrack by Daft Punk.  As a popcorn flick, it is sufficient and it is a far more entertaining movie than its predecessor.  Despite this, the movie never really blew me away.  There are plot holes all over the place, and the Grid now feels nothing like a world inside a computer (there are so many things in this world I want to know what their function is, as everything is supposed to be a program).  And then there's CLU, one of the biggest leaps into the uncanny valley that I've ever seen (his smile especially creeps me out, and not in the way that the animators intended).  It's an entertaining movie, but I wouldn't be altogether bothered if this never got a sequel.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 09:31:08 PM by broodwars »