Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553167 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #1800 on: December 10, 2010, 06:07:09 PM »
that "movie" was so bad that I shot my TV screen with a shotgun.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: December 10, 2010, 06:16:41 PM »
I just saw Tommy Wiseau's THE ROOM.  Who else has seen this cinematic masterpiece?  The "citizen cane" of bad movies.

I've only seen the movie as shown by the Nostalgia Critic, and that's just about all I care to see.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: December 10, 2010, 06:38:20 PM »
Hot Fuzz. Damn was I surprised by how good it is. 9.5/10

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: December 11, 2010, 07:49:29 AM »
Well ST5 did give us that excellent Kirk/Shatner moment "What does god need with a starship?". That alone ranks it above the sleeping pills in movie form that is Star Trek the Motion Picture, but that's a race to the bottom.

I am surprised that you ranked Voyage Home over Warth of Khan. I can see why you like Undiscovered better than Khan. WoK with Spock's death scene always gets my eyes wet. It's a truly beautiful near perfect scene only weakened by flimsy set/porps.

You moving on to the Next Gen movies Stratos? or is it some where you have gone before?

Suppose you are right that 5 is better than 1. At least 5 is a complete film even if it is a bad one. The original was so dull I almost stopped my Trek marathon all together. It probably also didn't help that I watched 2-4 before that thanks to the way Netflix released them to streaming. The first I watched was 4 because it was the first and only one I could find for streaming. I then discovered the others we on. Since I knew 2-4 were a trilogy I then watched 2 & 3. Then I went on to watch number 1 and 5. So I watched most of the good ones before the worst ones. Really accentuated the suck. Nice to close it out with 6.

I probably will watch the new ones too for completions sake. Plus I think there might be one in there I missed. I think all of them are available on Netflix streaming and I will close the whole thing out by watching the new Star Trek movie for the first time. Though reading some of the film info on Wikipedia it sounds like there was almost one more original cast movie but the poorness of 5 pretty much shot the chances of that. Pity because I always preferred the original cast over the newer ones.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: December 11, 2010, 10:11:41 AM »
I'm fond of TNG's crew, personally. I did just get the remastered original series not too long ago however. All redone with new effects, backdrops, ships, etc. It's pretty impressive, actually. Some of the new CGI shots of the ships' exteriors is no match for the realness of models, but it doesn't ruin it by any means. I'm just glad they didn't **** it up like George Lucas would have. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: December 11, 2010, 06:30:03 PM »
The Expendables
Disappointed. I expected more mayhem. There was a whole lot of boring throughout. Randy Couture is pretty f-ing awful.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: December 11, 2010, 06:36:56 PM »
@morari, yeah Lucas would have turned all the Klingons into Klingons
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: December 11, 2010, 06:55:06 PM »
The Expendables
Disappointed. I expected more mayhem. There was a whole lot of boring throughout. Randy Couture is pretty f-ing awful.

Go watch Machete. It's everything that Sly tried to make, sans the disappointment and aweful editing.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: December 11, 2010, 09:29:32 PM »
I thought Expendables was alright, but way too many quick cuts during ALL the fight scenes. Even during the Jet Li ones where we know he shouldn't need quick cuts to mask a lack of fighting skills. But I'm not trying to defend that movie.

I'm eagerly anticipating Machete though.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: December 12, 2010, 11:22:17 PM »
I watched The Sorcerer's Apprentice today, and I actually found it to be a pretty entertaining movie.  Nicholas Cage was pretty fun to watch as usual (and he was obviously having fun with the role), the special effects were pretty decent, and the story was...not terrible.  My big problem with the movie was actually the main character, who I constantly wanted to throttle the entire movie (it didn't help that his voice was incredibly obnoxious, and he wasn't a particularly decent actor).

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: December 13, 2010, 04:37:27 AM »
Yeah, that actor nearly killed the movie for me. And the fake death of Cage at the end of the film was too predictable. Other than that it was alright.
My Game Collection

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1811 on: December 13, 2010, 11:24:52 AM »
I finished watching all of the original Star Trek movies. And, yeah, 5 was terrible. It's funny to read some of the reviews on Netflix regarding the film as some folks actually try and defend it. "Star Trek explores the human condition and religion and deity is part of that". But there was very little of that in the movie. There was only a line or two that covered those thoughts at all in close to a meaningful way and the 'deity' turns out to just be a trapped being posing as god.

The plot holes were laughable and I actually yelled "Explain, movie! Explain!" once because things were just happening for no logical reason. T

As for ranking them all; 6, 4, 2, 3 with 1 & 5 tied for last.

There is a reason why V is unofficially non-canon by Paramount (they have made multiple episodes that contradict stuff in the movie, which is on purpose because they are always careful not to retcon stuff). I hate it. The only Trek movie I haven't seen is the first, the TOS movies are better than than the TOS episodes.

I watched Get Him to the Greek. I was pissed that the disc Netflix has won't let you watch any of the extras though (if you click on the extras, you get a message saying you have to buy the movie to get access to them), I have never seen this on any other rental disc from Netflix. As for the movie, I loved it and don't get the hate on it from Netflix reviewers. Russell Brand was great and it was nice to see Colm Meaney after Star Trek. I thought Jonah Hill was lackluster though. Diddy really surprised me at how good he was, especially in the scene where he went nuts in that Vegas strip club.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: December 13, 2010, 07:45:52 PM »
I thought Expendables was alright, but way too many quick cuts during ALL the fight scenes. Even during the Jet Li ones where we know he shouldn't need quick cuts to mask a lack of fighting skills. But I'm not trying to defend that movie.

You will NOT be disappointed.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: December 13, 2010, 07:57:56 PM »

Machete will return in "Machete Kills" and "Machete Kills Again"
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: December 14, 2010, 09:42:26 AM »
King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

This documentary got a lot of press from gaming sites, for obvious reasons.  It was really well done, and enjoyable to watch... but somehow didn't live up to the hype that had been built up.  I guess that I was hoping for something more from the "villian" of the picture, Billy Mitchell.  Additionally there are some points where the documentary seems to take sides or push an agenda.  That's not a bad thing though, and makes the film more watchable.  What I enjoyed most about the film is seeing the interesting relationships and quirky personalities - or at least as much as the editing allows you to see.  Even the bit parts in this real-life drama are played by characters that (at times) seem bigger than life.

I'd definitely recommend this movie to anyone interested in classic games, gaming personalities, or even the natural drive people have to accomplish something... to be recognized as the "best".
NNID: ejamer

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: December 15, 2010, 12:49:17 AM »

Machete will return in "Machete Kills" and "Machete Kills Again"

And SPY KIDS 3D-2
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1816 on: December 15, 2010, 11:45:17 AM »
I have seen the movies many times before, but I just picked up the Back to the Future 25th Anniversary Collection. It features all three films re-mastered (nothing added or removed, they just went back to the masters and improved the visual quality), along with tons of extras. Some of them are from the original DVD release, others are new and created specifically for this release. The collection also features digital copies of each movie so you can watch it on the go with your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, etc. I love all three movies, although I will admit that the first one is best. One of the facts that I didn't know before watching the extras, Sid Sheinberg (the head of Universal Studios at the time) wanted to call the movie "Spaceman from Pluto" and it took Steven Spielberg to convince him not to do it since everyone else liked the name "Back to the Future".
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: December 15, 2010, 11:49:18 AM »
I have seen the movies many times before, but I just picked up the Back to the Future 25th Anniversary Collection. It features all three films re-mastered (nothing added or removed, they just went back to the masters and improved the visual quality), along with tons of extras. Some of them are from the original DVD release, others are new and created specifically for this release. The collection also features digital copies of each movie so you can watch it on the go with your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, etc. I love all three movies, although I will admit that the first one is best. One of the facts that I didn't know before watching the extras, Sid Sheinberg (the head of Universal Studios at the time) wanted to call the movie "Spaceman from Pluto" and it took Steven Spielberg to convince him not to do it since everyone else liked the name "Back to the Future".

Yeah, I picked up that Blu-Ray a while back, but have only had the chance to watch the original Back to the Future from it (once I removed all the useless Digital Copy discs and threw them in the trash so the movie discs fit nicely in their holders and were easy to get out).  The remastering is very well done on the first movie at least, with only a couple of shots (like when Marty's hand starts to vanish late in the movie) that betray how old the movie is.  Take those away, and that movie looks like it could have been shot this year.  Very well-done.  Lousy packaging, though.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1818 on: December 15, 2010, 11:55:39 AM »
I have the DVD version and not the Blu-ray Disc version, but the DVD box is just fine. The digital discs are not in the way and I personally like the package. I don't know what the Blu-ray package looks like though. When I pick up my new computer in a few days, I plan to transfer all three digital copies so I can watch them on my iPod Touch.

Have you had a chance to watch any of the extras on that first disc? I thought the Making Of interviews were nicely done and pretty lengthy, and it was interesting to hear what a egomaniac Crispin Glover was (he didn't appear in the sequels because he basically wanted more stuff than even Michael J. Fox was getting).

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: December 15, 2010, 12:00:16 PM »
Rambo.
An awesome action movie.

9.5/10

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: December 15, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »
I have the DVD version and not the Blu-ray Disc version, but the DVD box is just fine. The digital discs are not in the way and I personally like the package. I don't know what the Blu-ray package looks like though. When I pick up my new computer in a few days, I plan to transfer all three digital copies so I can watch them on my iPod Touch.

Have you had a chance to watch any of the extras on that first disc? I thought the Making Of interviews were nicely done and pretty lengthy, and it was interesting to hear what a egomaniac Crispin Glover was (he didn't appear in the sequels because he basically wanted more stuff than even Michael J. Fox was getting).

Haven't really had a chance to dive into the special features (I'm constantly buried by a mountain of podcasts and games I'm playing where I want to hear the audio), though I did watch part of the first documentary on the first movie and liked it.  As for the packaging on the Blu-Ray package, it's a 3-page digipack holding 2 discs per page.  The discs, though, are held in the package by this weird plastic spring system instead of normal plastic trays with hubs keeping the disc in.  It makes the discs "float" in the package, which in actuallity means when I opened the digipack for the first time 2 of my Blu-Rays (BttF 1 and 3) fell right out of the packaging.  It's a good thing Blu-Ray Discs don't scratch easily.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:16:43 PM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: December 15, 2010, 12:31:58 PM »
House (1977)

What a weird lil Japanese Horror flick. The special effects are so bad it makes it kinda funny to watch, but it mostly seems like a live action anime. Japanese School Girls, Old house, ghost story, crazy (for the time) special effects and a creepy white cat.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: December 15, 2010, 04:32:15 PM »
Yeah, I picked up that Blu-Ray a while back, but have only had the chance to watch the original Back to the Future from it (once I removed all the useless Digital Copy discs and threw them in the trash so the movie discs fit nicely in their holders and were easy to get out). 

I'd have sold them online or given them away instead of throwing them out.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: December 15, 2010, 05:08:36 PM »
Yeah, I picked up that Blu-Ray a while back, but have only had the chance to watch the original Back to the Future from it (once I removed all the useless Digital Copy discs and threw them in the trash so the movie discs fit nicely in their holders and were easy to get out). 

I'd have sold them online or given them away instead of throwing them out.

I tried to give the discs away first, but no one wanted them.  Honestly, I wish companies would stop putting the things in my disc-based sets.  They're just an added cost for me and take up a spot on the packaging I also doubtlessly have to pay for...all for a feature I never have a use for and wasn't the reason I purchased the disc.  If I wanted to own a digital copy of my movies, I'd purchase the digital copies.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 05:11:01 PM by broodwars »

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: December 16, 2010, 02:14:46 AM »
Scrooged: 10/10

Bill Murray - phenomenal as always

Danny Elfman's score - epic as always

This is one of the few movies from the 80's that I saw a ton as a kid and can enjoy much MUCH more as an adult.