Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553253 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #1650 on: October 25, 2010, 02:12:41 PM »
Did Dan Brown do a 3rd book in that series that would warrant a 3rd movie? was there a book after DVC that follows the same guy?

Last I heard he was planning on writing one. Don't know if it has materialized yet.

It came out last year and is called The Lost Symbol. I am actually reading it right now. It's set in Washington, D.C. and has Robert Langdon trying to track down his missing mentor Peter Solomon and figuring out this Masonic Pyramid that the villain of the book wants. It deals with stuff like Noetic Science (like most concepts in Brown's books, this is actually a real thing). I bet Ron Howard can't wait to film the movie as the book is set in places like the Smithsonian Museum Support Center, the U.S. Capitol and it's crypts, and other places in the D.C. Area. I love the book so far.

I literally heard nothing but bad things about it.  I might have to check it out when it comes to paperback.

We need a Rate the last book you've read thread.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: October 25, 2010, 02:29:44 PM »
I'll check it out sooner or later. And if it's anywhere near as interesting a read as the previous 2 books, I would probably plow though it in about 2-3 days.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: October 25, 2010, 07:57:44 PM »
Ip Man

Dramatic, exciting, and awe-inspiring. This is hands down the best MA movie I have seen in a long time. The main actor has the subtleties to become a great actor one day and his MA is top notch.

10/10
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 02:44:39 PM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: October 26, 2010, 12:53:27 AM »
Back to the Future 88/10

Whoo-hoo!  Back to the Future, on the big screen, to celebrate its 25th anniversary.
Loved it.  Was highly amused by the guy who showed up dressed as Marty McFly, with the life preserver and all.

Theaters should show more old movies.  They're better than most the crap that's released now.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1654 on: October 26, 2010, 01:05:49 AM »
Runaway: Kanye West really put something together here. Very artsy. Made you think. Well, forced you to if you wanted to follow the plot and consider the meaning or whatever. But yeah, 9/10

Really!? I linked to the explicit version in the Hip Hop thread (not sure if that's where you watched it), but the entire time I kept thinking that I must just not get it and I know I'm not the only one, and I know for sure that Kanye will not be getting any acting gigs EVER based on his performance in this overly artsy nonsensical "movie" new album sampler. I don't even think the songs are all that great to be honest and I've enjoyed just about every Kanye album I've heard to this day.

But to each his own, I guess you got the point that apparently soared way above my head.
2.5/10

I saw the premier on TV. I actually like the artsy fartsy-ness of it, and I love the songs. It was creative and different. Yeah, Kanye's acting was horrible, but that's probably one of the reasons there wasn't much dialogue. Most people who make videos don't even try anymore, and those that do "try" only add a few scenes where something (usually something pointless) is happening and then call it "a film by [some jerk]." I just appreciate the fact that he's trying to make art. Not hits, art. That's all I really ask for in "artists" in any genre.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: October 26, 2010, 02:24:59 AM »
Ip Man

Dramatic, exciting, and awe-inspiring. This is hands down the best MA movie I have seen in a long time. The main actor has the subtitles to become a great actor one day and his MA is top notch.

10/10

I'm glad someone else enjoyed that movie too (I rated it somewhere in this thread). I'm waiting on the sequel to hit Netflix which is still inspired by the true story.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: October 26, 2010, 08:40:33 AM »
[size=78%]Runaway: Kanye West really put something together here. Very artsy. Made you think. Well, forced you to if you wanted to follow the plot and consider the meaning or whatever. But yeah, 9/10[/size]

I got through 15 seconds of this and stopped. I'm sorry but Nicki Minaj desperately needs to give up this faux-english accent of hers. Her voice literally tore a hole through what Kanye wanted to do as far as i'm concerned. I won't watch the rest.

If Kanye got in someone credible like Stephen Fry or even Jonny Metts with an approachable speaking voice i would have got much farther.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:10:29 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: October 27, 2010, 01:56:40 AM »
I've been watching some old (and new) horror movies lately, including John Carpenter's The Thing (slow to get started, but awesome once it does), the original Nightmare on Elm Street (pretty dull), and the new Nightmare on Elm Street (cool-ish and icky, but Freddy talks to much and is never really scary).  I'm not going to talk about them, though.

What I would like to talk about is the movie I just finished watching on Blu-Ray via a disc a co-worker lent me, Terminator Salvation.  After the insulting; disastrous; utter cash-grab that was Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, I completely avoided this movie when it was in the theaters last year.  Terminator 2 is one of my favorite movies of all time (and perhaps the most perfectly-executed action movie of all time, IMO), Terminator 3 had already dumped all over it, and I didn't want to subject myself to seeing that movie defecated on again.  It also doesn't help that the same co-worker also recently loaned me the PS3 movie tie-in game saying it was kind of decent, which...suffice to say I thought it made Terminator 3 look like fine art.  Having just finished the movie, though, I'm sad that I avoided this movie on the assumption that it would be terrible.  It's well-shot with plenty of good action moments and a story that feels like something that's part of Cameron's Terminator universe, with a plot that boils down to the age old question of "What is a man?"  It's an action movie with a soul, at least compared to most of the crap we get in the theaters these days (*glares at Transformers 2*).  And it's pretty obvious that the production staff are huge fans of Terminators 1 and 2, from making what looks like an absolutely perfect T-800 replica of the Arnold model, to throwing in callbacks to the first two films, to showing how older John Conner got those scars on his face, to having audio recordings of "Sarah Conner" that sound remarkably like Linda Hamilton, to even having the T-800 model move like it was done in stop-motion like the original Terminator movie.  And these callbacks feel natural, not exploitative like you would expect.

Setting aside my continual irritation that this movie exists at all (Terminator 2 seemed to wrap up the overall storyline quite well and didn't leave much room for sequels), my main complaint with this movie is the Goddamn Batman himself, Christian Bale.  Simply put, he doesn't really do much in this movie, and he's not particularly interesting when he is on screen.  He's just kind of...there, as is "Central Command" with its assortment of scenery-chewers (complete with Michael Ironside, naturally).  The Resistance is also surprisingly well-armed and organized for an army that previous movies have depicted as living underground and fighting at night with trucks, laser rifles, and rocket launchers.   :Q   There's also some portions of the movie that feel extremely rushed and contrived, particularly as the movie reaches its conclusion.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised and satisfied with Terminator Salvation, though I'll be perfectly happy if the relatively poor showing for this movie means the intended "trilogy" never comes to pass.  The movie stands just fine on its own and ends just fine, sliding neatly alongside Terminators 1 and 2 in the overall storyline.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 02:00:05 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: October 27, 2010, 08:40:13 AM »
You might have just gotten me to actually watch Salvation. I've been avoiding it like the plague as well after I saw number 3.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: October 27, 2010, 10:04:04 AM »
Salvation is an adequate movie. It doesn't have the cheese factor T3 had, which becomes a better movie is viewed as a self parody, instead say, a follow up to a masterpiece at the peak of JC's action movies.

T4 full of retard moments and John Conner needs to stay the hell away from helicopters. The plot is nonsensical near the end. Christian Bale strangely only has one emotion in this movie which is "Intense". There is nothing else there. I don't know what happened.

It's a technically proficient film. It has some good action, especially with the opening battle. The effects are top notch. If viewed as a tribute, more than a follow up, then yeah it's alright viewing. It will be an act of God before we ever see a terminator movie that can equal the forst two.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1660 on: October 27, 2010, 10:46:23 AM »
Did Dan Brown do a 3rd book in that series that would warrant a 3rd movie? was there a book after DVC that follows the same guy?

Last I heard he was planning on writing one. Don't know if it has materialized yet.

It came out last year and is called The Lost Symbol. I am actually reading it right now. It's set in Washington, D.C. and has Robert Langdon trying to track down his missing mentor Peter Solomon and figuring out this Masonic Pyramid that the villain of the book wants. It deals with stuff like Noetic Science (like most concepts in Brown's books, this is actually a real thing). I bet Ron Howard can't wait to film the movie as the book is set in places like the Smithsonian Museum Support Center, the U.S. Capitol and it's crypts, and other places in the D.C. Area. I love the book so far.

I literally heard nothing but bad things about it.  I might have to check it out when it comes to paperback.

I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't like it. I love it. I am about 60% through (it's 508 pages, I am on page 298) and it's one of my favorite books in years. Anybody who liked either of the first two should read it.

Anyways, only one new movie (been watching TV shows mostly):

Green Lantern: First Flight - I still prefer John Stewart as Earth's GL, but I really liked the movie (and was surprised to see that Christopher Meloni of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit voicing Hal Jordan). It's about Jordan being chosen as the first Human to join the Green Lantern Corps. but the other Lanterns and the Guardians not approving of it, as well as Sinestro turning on the Corps. and using the yellow power (or whatever ridiculous name they called it). One of the better straight-to-DVD movies from DC Animation.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: October 27, 2010, 11:07:47 AM »
Terminator 4

*Stuff*

Totally agree with this. I was avoiding it till my brother rented it on blu-ray. That's why I decided to say "**** it."

Not a bad movie by any means. Not a great one either.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1662 on: October 27, 2010, 03:10:26 PM »
I didn't really care for Salvation. It had some cool parts, no doubt, but overall I didn't like it. My biggest problem was that it was almost TOO fanboyish. Every other line or scene had an homage to the first two movies. After awhile, that got old. I had several problems with the plot overall:

1) Did Helena Bonham-Carter-Burton work for SkyNet? My assumption is that she was in charge of building the first humanoid Terminators by melding a metal skeleton with human organs? And that after several failed experiments, Avatar guy was the first success?

2) The movie takes place BEFORE the the original Arnold Terminator is sent back to kill Sarah Conner, yes? I mean, that hasn't happened yet. So how would SkyNet have any awareness that they will be doing that in the future and it's failed multiple times? SkyNet's central intelligence explains that to Avatar dude when he uplinks to the system, but it totally destroys the chronology set up in the first two movies.

3) The Machines are looking for Kyle Reese the whole time with the intent to kill him (again, how would they know at that point?) and when they find him, THEY DON'T KILL HIM. They stick him in a holding cell instead. WHERE HE IS RESCUED. The Machines can't do **** right.

So yeah.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: October 27, 2010, 03:40:09 PM »
It's almost been a couple years since I saw it, but wasn't it based on prophecy? Also, I'm pretty sure any survivors from the first 2 films (or news reports, Sarah Connor's diary, evidence, etc...) would be enough to let SkyNet figure out their past (future) mistakes.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: October 27, 2010, 03:57:47 PM »
I didn't really care for Salvation. It had some cool parts, no doubt, but overall I didn't like it. My biggest problem was that it was almost TOO fanboyish. Every other line or scene had an homage to the first two movies. After awhile, that got old. I had several problems with the plot overall:

1) Did Helena Bonham-Carter-Burton work for SkyNet? My assumption is that she was in charge of building the first humanoid Terminators by melding a metal skeleton with human organs? And that after several failed experiments, Avatar guy was the first success?

2) The movie takes place BEFORE the the original Arnold Terminator is sent back to kill Sarah Conner, yes? I mean, that hasn't happened yet. So how would SkyNet have any awareness that they will be doing that in the future and it's failed multiple times? SkyNet's central intelligence explains that to Avatar dude when he uplinks to the system, but it totally destroys the chronology set up in the first two movies.

3) The Machines are looking for Kyle Reese the whole time with the intent to kill him (again, how would they know at that point?) and when they find him, THEY DON'T KILL HIM. They stick him in a holding cell instead. WHERE HE IS RESCUED. The Machines can't do **** right.

So yeah.

1.  Yeah, it bugged me the whole movie why he was released from wherever he was when he was.  That never made sense to me, not when Skynet had much more capable machines (the Arnold T-800 model) already at least in the Prototype stages.

2.  Actually, this is not IMO a plot hole.  Terminator 4 (and its predecessors) is going with the idea that the events of Terminators 1 and 2 were pre-destination paroxes, that they were meant to happen.  Christian Bale's John Conner clearly remembers the events of Terminator 2 because he recognizes the T-800 blueprints, and he has cassette tapes from his mother telling him about her experiences with Kyle Reese and what he needs to do.  Remember that Kyle Reese was arrested in the first Terminator movie and was interrogated likely multiple times about what he said would happen in the future.  Sarah also was institutionalized in a mental hospital where she repeatedly was on record about the things that she was told and what she saw in Terminator 1.  Those are records that would likely end up in a computer database some day before Judgement Day, so all Skynet had to do when it was brought online was to locate that data (as well as reports on the Sarah Conner murders and news reports about the destruction of Cyberdyne systems) and make the logical conclusions.

3.  This really bothered me as well, and it's a major hole in the movie (especially with how methodical we've seen Skynet is).  The movie tries to dodge the issue by using him as bait for John, but unless Skynet somehow doesn't know Reese's true connection to John this makes no sense.  You don't need to bait John into a trap if you just kill Reese.

The thing about movies like this is that you can find plot holes all over the place if you look for them.  I was pretty amused by the fact that the computer interface used to release the prisoners at the Skynet facility was clearly designed around humanoid use, despite this being a Skynet facility where the computer should be linked with everything.  You don't NEED a humanoid interface unless you plan on putting humans in charge of the prisoners, and why would you have that interface controlling the doors?

And I'm still bothered by the fact that apparently Skynet needs to set a trap to find the Resistance when their bases aren't exactly hard to find and Skynet could just nuke them from orbit (which is, iirc, exactly what happens at the beginning of the movie).  Still, this is a silly action movie where time travel is the crux of the storytelling.  The various details didn't really detract from the experience for me.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 04:00:48 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: October 27, 2010, 07:09:16 PM »
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
*POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD*

The fight at the end was great, Batman surviving bone crushing blows just because he is batman I still don't understand.
Superman had the power to stop a different battle before it even started, yet waited until numerous people were possibly killed before he just said enough is enough and disintegrated all enemy combatants in a wide ray laser eye fury.
They also joked about Wonder Woman having an invisible jet.... is her being able to fly a relatively new power because I remember the old school invisible jet, but why would she need one if she could fly?
and if Superman had shown even half of the speed and fury that he did in the fight against Darkseid at the end of the movie during the fight alongside the Amazonians during he middle of the movie, he could have taken on the entire army by himself anyway and no one would have needed to die.

Superman is such an inconsistently over/under powered super hero that he just doesn't make any sense. Same goes for Batman since he ends up taking punches that knock down people like Wonder Woman and Superman, yet he gets up and brushes it off like it wasn't nothing... and Batman is just a normal human.

there are just so many more things that could be nitpicked, but I won't get into all that.

but putting all that aside, this was actually sort of enjoyable, specifically the ending.
the whole start and end to the Smallville scene was great from an action and comedy aspect.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1666 on: October 27, 2010, 07:17:13 PM »
Batman can take hits like that because he's The Godddamn Batman. Also, body armor.

I've got this movie in my Netflix Queue. I wish they'd just do a new season of Justice League already, as these one-shot movies are getting old. You're certainly right about Superman in that he's very inconsistent. His powers are dictated by the situation and how far along in the story we are. ;-)

As for Wonder Woman, she originally had the invisible jet, but nowadays in the comics (and JL/U) she can fly. What's wierd to me is that she's the only Amazon with that power. Nobody else on Thymescera can fly.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: October 27, 2010, 09:54:41 PM »

They also joked about Wonder Woman having an invisible jet.... is her being able to fly a relatively new power because I remember the old school invisible jet, but why would she need one if she could fly?

Imagine how tiring it is to fly around the world, and how freezing it is up there.  Now compare that to the chance to fly on autopilot in a heated jet, one that probably has television, bathrooms, and leather seats...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: October 27, 2010, 10:00:36 PM »

Imagine how tiring it is to fly around the world, and how freezing it is up there.  Now compare that to the chance to fly on autopilot in a heated jet, one that probably has television, bathrooms, and leather seats...

but how do you watch an invisible television?

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: October 27, 2010, 10:04:22 PM »

With her telepathy, of course; she just reads the mind of whoever's sitting down at a perfectly-visible television someplace in the world and sees what they see!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: October 27, 2010, 10:07:04 PM »

Ridiculously expensive glasses?
My Game Collection

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1671 on: October 28, 2010, 12:05:41 AM »

Invisible glasses.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: October 28, 2010, 12:29:41 AM »

Invisible glasses.

God forbid you drop those. Will make hunts for dropped contacts look like a joke.
My Game Collection

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: October 28, 2010, 04:41:20 AM »
[size=78%]Runaway: Kanye West really put something together here. Very artsy. Made you think. Well, forced you to if you wanted to follow the plot and consider the meaning or whatever. But yeah, 9/10[/size]

I got through 15 seconds of this and stopped. I'm sorry but Nicki Minaj desperately needs to give up this faux-english accent of hers. Her voice literally tore a hole through what Kanye wanted to do as far as i'm concerned. I won't watch the rest.

If Kanye got in someone credible like Stephen Fry or even Jonny Metts with an approachable speaking voice i would have got much farther.

I'm hoping to hear what nickmitch/stogi/BNM think about the Kanye
movie, and my own thoughts about it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: October 28, 2010, 10:43:47 AM »

[size=78%]I got through 15 seconds of this and stopped. I'm sorry but Nicki Minaj desperately needs to give up this faux-english accent of hers. Her voice literally tore a hole through what Kanye wanted to do as far as i'm concerned. I won't watch the rest.[/size][/color]

[size=78%]If Kanye got in [/size][/color]someone[size=78%] credible like Stephen Fry or even Jonny Metts with an approachable speaking voice i would have got much farther.[/size][/color]

I'm hoping to hear what nickmitch/stogi/BNM think about the Kanye
movie, and my own thoughts about it.

[/size]2 of the 3 you were wiating on has commented on it already
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]Runaway: Kanye West really put something together here. Very artsy. Made you think. Well, forced you to if you wanted to follow the plot and consider the meaning or whatever. But yeah, 9/10
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]Really!? I linked to the explicit version in the Hip Hop thread (not sure if that's where you watched it), but the entire time I kept thinking that I must just not get it and I know I'm not the only one, and I know for sure that Kanye will not be getting any acting gigs EVER based on his performance in this overly artsy nonsensical "movie" new album sampler. I don't even think the songs are all that great to be honest and I've enjoyed just about every Kanye album I've heard to this day.
[/size]
[/size]But to each his own, I guess you got the point that apparently soared way above my head.
[/size]2.5/10
[/size]

Looking back, I commented the post after nickmitch, and if that was Nicki Minaj, then she went uncredited, because I didn't see her name in the credits afterwards, and I watched the credits ONLY to see if that was her in the beginning or not.

EDIT: WTF is with this {size=78% bullshit}
normally i would clean all this up but I want Megabyte to see what is happening. I quoted the post above and it happened, then I edited in a quote from this earlier in this thread and it did it to every single line.... i didn't add a single {size} tag to this thread post.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 10:48:07 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »