Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553292 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #1550 on: September 10, 2010, 07:33:15 PM »
no thanks, never been a fan of the RE movies, and 3D has been a huge let down in so many movies I no longer care for it.

tonight is date night, and I think my gf wants to see that drew Barrymore movie..
I'll rate it later I suppose.

Resident Evil is a more manly movie than a Drew Berrymore flick.  ;D
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1551 on: September 10, 2010, 07:54:37 PM »
But Drew Barrymore is adorable.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: September 10, 2010, 08:08:11 PM »
But Drew Barrymore is adorable.

Mila Jovovich and Ali Larter are even more adorable. ;)
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: September 10, 2010, 08:44:27 PM »
Brandon St Randy<3

... I mean..

Justin Long<3
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: September 10, 2010, 10:51:20 PM »
oohboy, we are on the same page, somewhat. I thought the movie was so bad ass I didn't even notice the shaky cam, etc.

why must you torture me with WORDS!

It's just a little maddening. With the invention of steady cam you could do shots never done before. Take long perfect shots. Take steady shots where it was once not possible.

They then takes those shots and shake the crap out of them in a computer. What the hell is the point. Shaky cam has been used a long time, but used very selectively.

Toss in caffeine induced shaky cam, close ups and quick cuts into the one shot and it renders anything on the shown worthless. Then do this not for individual shots and extend it for entire scenes and sequences with complete disregard for appropriateness, just outright pisses me off. I want to SEE the action, not what my imagination fills in. I didn't pay money just to make me do the hard work.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: September 11, 2010, 02:03:15 AM »
Troll 2:

How well the movie works as a horror film: 1/5

How entertained I was: 5/5

I honestly laughed during just about the entirety of this film. The acting, makeup, and filming are all terrible. It seems like everyone in this movie was genuinely trying, but they managed to find a cast that was universally horrible.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: September 11, 2010, 10:38:40 AM »
Troll 2:

I honestly laughed during just about the entirety of this film. The acting, makeup, and filming are all terrible. It seems like everyone in this movie was genuinely trying, but they managed to find a cast that was universally horrible.
This was one of the MFT movies, but unfortunately, one that everyone sat out on;
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=31343.msg622961#msg622961

Perhaps you were entertained enough to go back and MFT it for us?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1557 on: September 11, 2010, 12:36:29 PM »
Paul Blart: Mall Cop

What can I say? I really enjoyed it. It's a nice film that you can just sit back and enjoy. I thought Kevin James was actually pretty good here. If I had to give it a rating, 4.5/5
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: September 11, 2010, 02:14:46 PM »
I've been knocking foreign movies off my Instant Watch list, so I guess I'll give a few mentions here.

Chocolate (Taiwanese)
Martial arts movie about an autistic kid that learns just by watching. You can tell the main star is not the greatest martial artist and that there were many, many, many takes with all the quick cuts, but the editing was done ok so it doesn't take away from the movie too much. Overall it was entertaining.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish)
Actually a pretty interesting movie about a journalist that supposedly gets framed and then takes a private job researching the death/disappearance of some rich old guys favorite niece with the help of a computer hacking chick with a dragon tattoo. It's based off some series of books and got high praises at one of the movie festivals.

The Chaser (Korean)
Ex Cop turned pimp is losing girls(he thinks their being sold) and decides to track down the guy he believes is responsible down when he realizes that his last available girl is off to see that "client" right now. He runs into a major problem when his girl doesn't check in like she's supposed to. What he doesn't know is that the missing girls weren't being sold to work for someone else, they weren't doing anything anymore. All he knows is that he has a chance to confront this guy and get his girl back, and he won't stop looking until he does. I was actually really into this one and it was all good up until right before the end where there is a pretty big hole in the story Killer was tailed to a shop by a cop where he ends up killing 2 more people and apparently walked home afterwards covered in blood

Ong Bak 2 (???)
WTF was this ****? I liked the first movie with all the crazy stunts, but this movie made almost no sense and almost all the fight scenes were so over scripted that people were standing around waiting for their cues to react/attack. I almost turned it off several times, but kept waiting for the awesome fight scenes that just had to be in here somewhere. I guess I went in to this movie expecting too much, but all this movie had to offer was scripted fighting demonstrations of many varied styles. Not worth the watch.

Red Riding Trilogy: Pt 1 - 1974
Some British film that I really tried to watch on several occasions but could not understand WTF they were saying for 90% of the movie i watched. I'm almost positive I would have enjoyed this 3 part made for TV movie if there were some sub titles, but sadly Netflix hasn't gotten that tech up and running yet. The accents are thick and the slang is unfamiliar, so making sense out what I did understand was not really possible.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1559 on: September 11, 2010, 02:19:36 PM »
The lack of subtitles on Instant Streaming is a little annoying sometimes, I would recommend just getting movies you think you need subtitles for through their mail service.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: September 11, 2010, 02:28:59 PM »
If I waited for the disc I would probably never get around to watching the movie.

My disc list is about 150+ titles if you include the saved (not yet released) list.
my IW list is about 60 titles long.

Besides, Netflix is working on adding subtitles to streaming movies, but HD I think takes priority at the moment.
it should be coming along sooner or later.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1561 on: September 11, 2010, 02:55:28 PM »
Wow, I thought I had a long que list. I haven't added any new titles in weeks because of it. Subtitles aren't a big deal I guess, it would be nice if there was a way to get bonus features working for Instant Streaming (some movies have really good special features).

Through IS, I just watched The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers. It was a little too boring to me. I would have been disappointed more if I had gotten this in the mail.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 02:59:20 PM by TJ Spyke »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: September 12, 2010, 01:17:12 AM »
watched 2 more today....

Deep Star 6
This movie could really use a remake or something. It was pretty good up until the "monster". Modern special effects could really do this movie wonders. And for as fucked up as things were for this crew, it's amazing how one guy can really make things infinitely worse.

Tokyo Gore Police (Japanese)
I guess you could say a well funded B-movie that turned into more than I expected. I was expecting kung-fu violence with lots and lots of blood, but when they say Gore, they meant lots and lots of gore. They went through enough blood spray to fill an olympic sized swimming pool and things took a twist into a very perverted way that was not expected. Let's just say they mix a little sex, with lots of violence, tons of blood, bits of perversion and a few ounces of "oh that's just gross". Take all that and wrap it around a "monster/mutant movie, and you have Tokyo Gore Police.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: September 12, 2010, 01:56:18 AM »
Troll 2:

This was one of the MFT movies, but unfortunately, one that everyone sat out on;
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=31343.msg622961#msg622961

Perhaps you were entertained enough to go back and MFT it for us?

Well I was certainly entertained, right now my mouse is hovering over the "buy" button on iTunes- I want to be able to take this everywhere with me!
Bless you, my child.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: September 12, 2010, 03:20:24 PM »
Zardoz: ?/?

I'm not quite sure what I just watched.

ummm..... I agree. WTF was that?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1565 on: September 12, 2010, 05:00:07 PM »
Aladdin
The Return of Jafar
Aladdin and the King of Thieves

ABC Family had a marathon of them today and I had nothing else to watch. I really enjoyed the three movies, although you can tell that they didn't put much money into the second movie. It was direct-to-video, they didn't pay Robin Williams to come back (they replaced him with Dan Castellaneta), and the animation wasn't as good. The third movie is the weakest of the three, but I would still recommend all three to people who enjoy traditional animated movies and ones that are good for the whole family.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1566 on: September 12, 2010, 07:44:10 PM »
There are parts of Jafar that I like more than the original movie (his villainy, for one). I hated the third movie. It didn't even need to be made. Aladdin remains one of my favorite Disney movies, and one of the best Disney platformers ever made (SNES/Genesis).
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: September 12, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
Paul Blart: Mall Cop

What can I say? I really enjoyed it. It's a nice film that you can just sit back and enjoy. I thought Kevin James was actually pretty good here. If I had to give it a rating, 4.5/5

I really enjoyed two songs off that film so much I went home and downloaded them asap.

Going the Distance 7/10.
I was surprised I enjoyed this movie as much as I did. It was The Ugly Truth all over again, but much better. By that I mean, I went in thinking it'd be a super-duper chick-flick my girlfriend would enjoy more than I would, but walked out satisfied. It wasn't perfect, it had some slow or cheesey parts and some of the chemistry between characters felt forced (which was odd considering I later found out Drew Barrymore and Justin Long are a couple IRL).

The comedy was awesome, Charlie Day didn't have as much screen time as I had hoped but all his scenes were priceless especially the Charlie Chaplin bit. Drew Barrymore had a surprising character, too, which I enjoyed. I'm so used to to her cute, goofy characters but she's far from that here. A vulgar DB is a MUCH cuter DB in my opinion.

-----------------------------

Born In East LA 2/10 Still as good as I remember from when I was younger, but there was an issue with the movie..

Apearantly, home releases omit THE FUCKING ENDING OF THE GOD DAMN MOVIE! In the home release, Cheech Marin & co cross the border into the US, arrive at the Cinco De Mayo parade, then credits role. They omit a whole scene where Cheech goes home, gets his papers, his girlfriend and him get abducted by Immigration officers, escape to the parade (their first time arriving there) and get married by a priest on a float, making his new wife a naturalized citizen, thus keeping her from being deported back to Mexico.

According to wikipedia/IMDB, the ending is intact for tv versions of the film (such as the version shown on Comedy Central) because it replaces scenes cut out "for content and time." Meanwhile, there's hardly anything worthy of being cut for content because the movie (aside from one masturbatory gesture) is pretty tame.

I'm scoring so low because I was pissed that such a big scene is cut. It's fucking mind boggling why they would omit such a thing, because otherwise the movie would be a pretty damn good comedy.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: September 14, 2010, 01:22:42 AM »
The Godfather III: 4/5

I do feel that I enjoyed this a bit more than the second, but the ending would have been so much better if certain people weren't cast as Mary Corleone.
Bless you, my child.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: September 14, 2010, 01:48:18 AM »
The Joneses -

The premise of the movie I give a 9, but the ending is a 5, so it drops the total down to a 7 at best. I wanted to live the life in this movie. David Duchovny & Demi Moore had it made in this movie, and it made me wonder if stuff like this actually happen in real life. I really don't want to talk too much about it because I don't want to give away what it is about even though you find out fairly early in the movie, but I liked trying to guess what was going on in the beginning before it was actually revealed.
verdict: Worth the watch till a point where the drama starts. It's all down hill from there. This could have been a much better movie if they had just scrapped the ending and continued the movie with the way it started.

my personal alternate ending
David takes the offer in the limo and the movie moves forward from there. Would have made this movie much much better IMO.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: September 14, 2010, 06:57:48 AM »
oohboy, we are on the same page, somewhat. I thought the movie was so bad ass I didn't even notice the shaky cam, etc.

why must you torture me with WORDS!

It's just a little maddening. With the invention of steady cam you could do shots never done before. Take long perfect shots. Take steady shots where it was once not possible.

They then takes those shots and shake the crap out of them in a computer. What the hell is the point. Shaky cam has been used a long time, but used very selectively.

Toss in caffeine induced shaky cam, close ups and quick cuts into the one shot and it renders anything on the shown worthless. Then do this not for individual shots and extend it for entire scenes and sequences with complete disregard for appropriateness, just outright pisses me off. I want to SEE the action, not what my imagination fills in. I didn't pay money just to make me do the hard work.

Episode 6 of Stargate Universe "Water" has a great use of shakycam in there fairly early on where Rush and Young are arguing about Destiny now being fully recharged and they should just dial the gate to go back to Earth, Rush says how they're up to about "probably 40% of design capacity" Young challenges him how "i know when someone is pulling a number out of their ass", the camera is deliberately wobblng slightly behind objects to partly obscure their faces and zooms in a touch before Eli retorts "actually i pulled that number, out of my ass", before the camera sharply pans over to him but misses him completely and pulls back then zooms in on his face.

I missed the camera work the first time around but i just caught it over the weekend. THAT is how you do shakycam properly. No dizzyness, not over the top, no headaches and added a real "documentary" touch.

In Salt, however, it was just shake for the sake of shakeyshake.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 07:11:39 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: September 14, 2010, 08:07:14 AM »
Here's something awesome on the opposite end of the spectrum, I present the opening of Breaking News. It is approximately 6:40 uncut steady cam work of which half is action. It's so awesome in fact, the rest of the movie is a let down because it started such a high note. From memory, this was done in ONE take.

Of course another great scene and this one is pure action is from the Protector, the Tony Jaa movie. Real stunts, no wires, uncut. They also had to do a second take to get it right.

Enjoy.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: September 15, 2010, 01:14:24 AM »
See No Evil, Hear No Evil: Comedy Gold/10

This was actually my first time seeing this movie completely unedited and uninterrupted. All I can say is they just don't make comedies like this anymore, and its a damn shame. Damn shame.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: September 15, 2010, 07:33:25 PM »
Yeah that's a classic.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: September 16, 2010, 01:10:19 AM »
Smokin' Aces 6/10

Decent popcorn flick. Could of used a little more action than that free-for-all at the end. The ending was a decent twist, but it could have been so much better. Wait, could it? I don't know any more.