Author Topic: Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized  (Read 300157 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized
« Reply #400 on: April 05, 2007, 06:35:55 PM »
Yeah, I don't get SB in this regard either.

I believe MP2's world was relatively larger than MP1's.  More doors meant more rooms (and more hidden upgrades), which ultimately is MORE TO EXPLORE -- a good thing for me.

And it's not like i always found messages that told me "this door is made of wood, you cannot open this door yet" cuz i knew Samus has an EFFING MAP in her helmet with color-coded doors that indicated if I could open it or not (cuz I have this ability called "paying attention").  As soon as I got a new door-opening upgrade, I immediately realized what kinds of doors I could open and where to find them, cuz I knew they were shown on the EFFING MAP.

I didn't even use the hint system (except for one specific case) for the 20-something hours I played it, getting nearly 100% of upgrades and finding a bunch of those ghostly key things BY ACCIDENT such that all but two left to find by the time the game told me to bugger-off and go on a scavenger hunt... one that lasted about 10 minutes since there wasn't much else for me to discover after exterminating most of the bloody planet except for the final boss.

Favorite GameCube game by far.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized
« Reply #401 on: April 05, 2007, 07:36:59 PM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39
I don't understand the backtracking complaint with MP2.  How was the backtracking in MP2 any different than in MP?  How was it different from any Metroid game, for that matter?

2D Metroid games take far less time to traverse. You can go from one end of the map to the other relatively quickly. In 3D, however, Samus is a slow-moving tank.

MP1 had far less backtracking, enough that it was tolerable for me while still being enjoyable. MP2 had far more areas to access, especially with the two world system, and thus far more areas to trek back across..

It's like this: Metroid puzzles and bosses are awesome, some of the best gameplay on the GC. However, MP2 was long periods of going back over areas I had already been in order to reach these bosses and find these puzzles. It's similar to how an RPG on rails holds the next story bit hostage by forcing you to level your characters and thus put more time into the game, except that, instead of grinding for stats, I was trekking back over terrain I'd already seen a dozen times.

Eventually, there came a point where the monotony of backtracking overrode the desire to see the next boss/puzzle, I put the game down, tried it again a few months later but was again fed up with the backtracking.

Backtracking was designed to artificially extend the play time of a game back when content was more difficult to create. In this day and age, we shouldn't need devices like this to inflate game time.

I'll probably pick up MP3, though, as Retro went on the record as saying that they acknowledged that there was too much backtracking in MP2 and would adjust 3 accordingly.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 05, 2007, 07:44:48 PM »
MP not much backtracking? I have never beaten the game because of the backtracking. I forget what they are but you need to collect those tablets (or whatever they were, been awhile since I've played). I think when I fought the last boss, I still had at least 4 to find still.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 05, 2007, 07:47:31 PM »
Not as much as MP2, I mean.

Maybe the fact that MP was new made the backtracking more tolerable, but MP2 just felt like more of the same and the backtracking was less tolerable.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 05, 2007, 07:47:45 PM »
Oh, don't even get me started on Metroid Prime 2 (namely the Dark World and Nintendo's massive hard-on for the two-worlds mechanic). For Christ's sake, the box boasts of the "all-new ammo system." Are you motherf*cking kidding me? Nevermind, nevermind... let me just say:

It was a good, but seriously flawed game.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: April 05, 2007, 07:48:33 PM »

Originally posted by: Adrock
Oh, don't even get me started on Metroid Prime 2 (namely the Dark World and Nintendo's massive hard-on for the two-worlds mechanic). For Christ's sake, the box boasts of the "all-new ammo system." Are you motherf*cking kidding me? Nevermind, nevermind... let me just say:

It is funny, I have owned MP2 for a couple years now, and haven't even played it! I have heard the complaints though, and wonder if they could be attributed to the relatively short development time (especially for a Metroid game).

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #406 on: April 05, 2007, 08:41:15 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Not as much as MP2, I mean.

Maybe the fact that MP was new made the backtracking more tolerable, but MP2 just felt like more of the same and the backtracking was less tolerable.

Metroid Prime 1 was my first Metroid game and I was dreadfully bored with it, to the point where I questioned the value of the franchise.

But I'm willing to give the 2D games more credit since I agree that 2D games tend to go much faster than 3D games.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #407 on: April 05, 2007, 09:04:02 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
MP not much backtracking? I have never beaten the game because of the backtracking. I forget what they are but you need to collect those tablets (or whatever they were, been awhile since I've played). I think when I fought the last boss, I still had at least 4 to find still.

Umm Wut The Flark are you talking about?  If you didn't find all the Chozo Artyfacts, you HAVEN'T even seen the 2nd-to-last boss.

It is funny, I have owned MP2 for a couple years now, and haven't even played it! I have heard the complaints though, and wonder if they could be attributed to the relatively short development time (especially for a Metroid game).

Not a great assumption considering the game world is bigger, has more minibosses, more graphic touches, more player abilities, and more puzzles than the first MP.  A shorter dev time would've revealed some noticeably sloppy glitches and performance, but that's not the case.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 05, 2007, 10:14:33 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666

Umm Wut The Flark are you talking about?  If you didn't find all the Chozo Artyfacts, you HAVEN'T even seen the 2nd-to-last boss.

Not a great assumption considering the game world is bigger, has more minibosses, more graphic touches, more player abilities, and more puzzles than the first MP.  A shorter dev time would've revealed some noticeably sloppy glitches and performance, but that's not the case.

I meant the last boss, as the last one you could beat before you needed all the chozo artifacts. About MP2, I'm just saying what I've heard, it doesn't seem to be nearly as popular as the original, and definately not as well received for whatever reason (I still need to play it!).

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #409 on: April 06, 2007, 09:15:50 AM »
Oh, in that case you're spending waaaaay too much time at a loser-forum like this and need to play the game and see for yourself =D

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 06, 2007, 12:20:13 PM »
I loved MP2 way better than MP because: I had a better sense of what I needed to do and where I needed to go without hints, higher difficulty, the Screw Attack, Quadraxis, the way Luminoths spoke in their scan entries (hugely entertaining to me), and NO FREAKINGT CHOZO GHOSTS, those things nearly killed MP1 for me, and they made back tracking extremely tedious and painful more so then any amount of time from just going from point A to point B in MP2 (They could have justed let you skip the bastards, but no, they had to make you fight the SOBs each and every time you would enter one of those God damned rooms).

Keep in mind though, I actually loved sailing in Wind Waker, so maybe I am just weird and like long distance treks through game worlds.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 06, 2007, 12:42:36 PM »
Anyone who says anything negative about the Primes is either a homosexual or a communist that hates freedom. And in most cases, they are both.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 06, 2007, 03:25:44 PM »

Originally posted by: TrueNerd
Anyone who says anything negative about the Primes is either a homosexual or a communist that hates freedom. And in most cases, they are both.

Offline Blue Plant

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • My site.
« Reply #413 on: April 06, 2007, 09:18:39 PM »
Yes, please do...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #414 on: April 06, 2007, 10:52:26 PM »
How CUTE!

Strangely, it's similar to Blue Plant's avvy as well.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 07, 2007, 06:17:26 AM »
Bill says it with lolis. I say it with cats.

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 07, 2007, 07:34:00 AM »
That was a joke, my last post there. Perhaps it was bad form. I would never seriously use the word homosexual as a derogatory term. At least, I haven't since I was 14. Sorry if it was offensive and/or not funny.

In all seriousness though, I do not get the backtracking complaints in either Prime. Usually when you're backtracking, you're doing it to accomplish something like explore a new area, pick up a new weapon or fight some boss. The excitement and the anticipation of such things, for me at least, totally overrides any boredom or annoyance from seeing the same environment again for the sixth time. And when you're backtracking, you don't have to fight the enemies that respawn. You can simply avoid them. Even the Chozo Ghosts.  

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #417 on: April 07, 2007, 08:50:58 AM »
Life is full of backtracking.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #418 on: April 07, 2007, 09:11:04 AM »

That was a joke, my last post there. Perhaps it was bad form. I would never seriously use the word homosexual as a derogatory term. At least, I haven't since I was 14. Sorry if it was offensive and/or not funny.

In all seriousness though, I do not get the backtracking complaints in either Prime. Usually when you're backtracking, you're doing it to accomplish something like explore a new area, pick up a new weapon or fight some boss. The excitement and the anticipation of such things, for me at least, totally overrides any boredom or annoyance from seeing the same environment again for the sixth time. And when you're backtracking, you don't have to fight the enemies that respawn. You can simply avoid them. Even the Chozo Ghosts.

In my case, I found the backtracking to be boring because Samus was slow as hell. Plus, too much of it can get tedious.

Backtracking ranks very high with collect-a-thons; Both are shallow ways of extending replay value.

Like Mad Magazine once stated; "The 100+ plus hours of gameplay a developer boasts is simply backtracking quests".
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #419 on: April 07, 2007, 09:13:58 AM »
Learn to use the Morph Ball.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #420 on: April 07, 2007, 11:22:09 AM »
The morph ball can't jump from platform to platform.

As for the backtracking, Retro already apologized for it and said MP3 wouldn't be as bad, hence the only reason I'll consider picking up the game (that, and online play, if it has it).

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 07, 2007, 12:49:22 PM »
What they need to get rid off is the key/artifact hunt, not the backtracking, when you have the previous knowledge that you need to get a certain number of items it makes the quest seem larger than what it really is, also, in 2D games Samus can backtrack much faster thanks to the new abilities like screw attack and boost, something that wasn't implemented as deep in the 3D games.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Chiller

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 07, 2007, 02:15:23 PM »
I'll jump on and state that I, too, felt that the game was a bit redundant, and less interesting than the first.  I don't know, thought, if it was so much that the game repeated itself, or that it repeated too much of the original (i.e., it wasn't unique enough to keep me hooked).  I ended up missing a few life containers due to lack of interest, and so when I got to the final boss, I just really didn't feel like putting in the effort.  I gave it a couple of tries, and came close to defeating it, but it just felt to tedious at that point, so I shelved it for something else.  It is the first game I have ever played in 22 years where I got to the end, and just had no desire to finish it.  Maybe one day i will go back and give it a try, but I don't think that it will be any time soon.
"Mweeeep"
Charles Seeburg

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 07, 2007, 06:57:38 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
What they need to get rid off is the key/artifact hunt, not the backtracking, when you have the previous knowledge that you need to get a certain number of items it makes the quest seem larger than what it really is, also, in 2D games Samus can backtrack much faster thanks to the new abilities like screw attack and boost, something that wasn't implemented as deep in the 3D games.
This is truth. Artifact hunting is almost as bad as sailing around and retrieving chunks of Triforce from the ocean floor.

Almost.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 07, 2007, 07:10:16 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
This is truth. Artifact hunting is almost as bad as sailing around and retrieving chunks of Triforce from the ocean floor.

Almost.

Except you actually feel like beating the game, which makes the torture almost bareable, can't say the same about MP1.