Author Topic: Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized  (Read 301422 times)

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized
« Reply #350 on: January 12, 2007, 08:27:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
The last Metroid melds with her to defeat Mother Brain.

It doesn't "meld" with her.  It pours a ton of the energy it'd been sucking into her suit, then gets killed.
GOREGASM!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 12, 2007, 08:41:25 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
I agree with Ian on this one...not that the 2D games are very story-oriented, but they do have a strongly continuous plot, moreso than any other Nintendo franchise I've played.

That's because they weren't Miyamoto games.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized
« Reply #352 on: January 12, 2007, 09:20:18 AM »
I love how retro sneaked so many story in the scans in both prime games without Miyamoto noticing, hw would have probably cut them out if he was the director of the games

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 12, 2007, 09:42:30 AM »
Do you really think that Miyamoto didn't notice the scans while he was OVERLOOKING THE PROGRESS OF THE GAME PERSONALLY?  I don't think so...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #354 on: January 12, 2007, 09:42:37 AM »
GASP, PIKMIN HAS A CONTINUOUS STORY
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 12, 2007, 10:14:10 AM »
I'll be reading the rest of the thread but by far the Third book is the best of the Harry Potter books because it has a good balance.  The first 2 lack true focus and the 3 after are getting to be so exclusively Harry oriented that they mention some thing to never address them again.  I equate the first 2 with playing a game and doing all the side quest but not paying attention to the story and the last 3 running through the main story and ignoring the side quests as they come along.  The third has a good balance between the main and side quest.  Though all will disagree.  I will agree that the actual writing itself as been better.

Now on the movies 3 was by far the worst movie if you read the books.  It was a really really choppy slideshow of the book.  I didn't like it on its own merits as a movie even.  I prefer the Hogwarts of the first two.  Thats how I imagined them.  They could have been easily darkened.  I don't know what they are going to do with the later ones because they just keep getting longer with less you can strip.  (Though I do agree with the choice to leave Dobby out.)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 12, 2007, 10:27:58 AM »
Retro has more control over MP than Miyamoto, so its obvious that the game will veer greatly from his tendencies no matter what Miyamoto advised on gameplay elements during those monthly teleconferences. You can't upend the tea table through voice over IP you know.

And Pikmin? Story? HAH! Pikmin was a perfect example of the "story as thin excuse for gameplay." You crashed! Collect stuff to live! You need money! Collect stuff to sell!

Also, /sad at Ceric not liking Alfonso Cuaron. Though the first two Harry Potter movies were decently directed by Colombus (or whatever his name is)... it's just that their scripts lacked the subtlety or thematic punch that the third book brought to the third movie.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 12, 2007, 10:31:05 AM »
I think that sort of went with the Source material on the first 2, Harry Potter.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 12, 2007, 10:40:12 AM »
Yeah a game featuring you playing as the Galactic Federation would be more like the Dr. Who\Torchwood example.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 12, 2007, 01:40:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Retro has more control over MP than Miyamoto, so its obvious that the game will veer greatly from his tendencies no matter what Miyamoto advised on gameplay elements during those monthly teleconferences.

Um, not during the production of the first game...Miyamoto DID completely up-turn the table (such as pointing the game's direction towards 1st person)

It wasn't til Retro proved their capability with the final product that they were given more freedom with the sequel...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: January 12, 2007, 01:55:55 PM »
Hmm.. yeah, you're right, he was able to do some tea table upending, but his influence over the intimacies of day-to-day development is understandably non-existent when extended over the pacific ocean.

Ultimately, the Metroid Prime games are not Miyamoto titles.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 12, 2007, 04:16:43 PM »
The Metroid games period are not Miyamoto titles.  It was created by Gunpei Yokoi, and I don't think Miyamoto was at all involved with the creation of Metroid, Metroid II, or Super Metroid.
After that, not so sure.  So far as I know, the Metroid Prime games are more Miyamoto titles than the 2D Metroid games, in regards to what he was involved in creating.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 13, 2007, 02:21:25 PM »
And it shows. The gameplay of Metroid Prime 1 and 2 show how they´ve been given the Miyamoto gameplay treatment! They play with such ease of control (the much harder difficulty of the Echoes sequel notwithstanding) that it is a delight to play them. I am just happy that we have Miyamoto. He sure has given the world games and gameplay that are second to none! Am really looking forward to Corruption!
Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 14, 2007, 01:31:27 PM »
I personally can't wait for a Miyamoto-less Nintendo

*ducks and covers*

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 14, 2007, 02:47:38 PM »
Miyamoto does do great things but I think he gets a lot of credit even for times he doesn't do much.  His contact with a Nintendo developer could be walking in the room and farting yet he would still get a lot of credit for the game they made if it turned out great.  People are giving him credit for metroid prime now simply because the gameplay is good.  I can see him giving a few pointers or goals but no way does he take the credit away from retro.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 14, 2007, 03:44:32 PM »
Well, gameplay is everything, MP has amazing art and music but without the basic gameplay to glue everything together it just wouldn't be a good game, like america mcgee's Alice (I did enjoy that game a lot anyway).

Honestly, its not that I want a Nintendo without Miyamoto because he's amazing, but lately I have enjoyed a lot more the games that he just supervised (MP 1 and 2, MM, tWW) than the ones that required him to be more involved (Nintendogs, TP).

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 14, 2007, 04:00:31 PM »
"People are giving him credit for metroid prime now simply because the gameplay is good. I can see him giving a few pointers or goals but no way does he take the credit away from retro. "

You, on the other hand, are taking away the credit that is due...Retro was falling apart at the seams with projects being cancelled left and right (Raven Blade R.I.P.), and Miyamoto had a HUGE role in getting them back on the right path...If he wasn't there, Prime wouldn't have ended as we know it today...PERIOD...

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 14, 2007, 04:24:12 PM »
Read N-Sider's Retro-spective - it's a really good article..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 14, 2007, 05:33:04 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
"People are giving him credit for metroid prime now simply because the gameplay is good. I can see him giving a few pointers or goals but no way does he take the credit away from retro. "

You, on the other hand, are taking away the credit that is due...Retro was falling apart at the seams with projects being cancelled left and right (Raven Blade R.I.P.), and Miyamoto had a HUGE role in getting them back on the right path...If he wasn't there, Prime wouldn't have ended as we know it today...PERIOD...

I just read the link icecold posted and I don't see much Miyamoto influence.  He visited the studio before they had really started metroid and saw the the many, many games they were working on weren't that good and later he and others insisted that metroid should not be a 3rd person action title because he believes they don't work.  Where does he get credit for the good gameplay?  He gave advice and goals but I can't imagine he did much beyond that.  The article points out many experienced fps shooter developers that probably have a lot to do with the gameplay.  Nintendo itself seems responsible for many of the cancelations (raven blade) because they wanted all the focus on Metroid and didn't really care about the other games or newer ips (a good and a bad thing).  When they mention that Nintendo replaced managers and did other things to help the company it doesn't mean Miyamoto did it all, a lot of people work at Nintendo but once his name comes up he gets the credit for everything that follows.

He does a lot and I'm a big fan but you can't give the guy all that much credit for a game developed across the ocean from him.  

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 14, 2007, 05:59:48 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor

*ducks and covers*

Motion to ban Mantidor.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #370 on: January 14, 2007, 06:21:09 PM »

*ducks and covers*

Just what is your issue with him?

Like him or not, he pretty much made Nintendo what it is today and created some amazing franchises and supervised some great games.

Again, why do you have this thing against some of Nintendo's decisions? You have to be pretty annoyed at something if you are willing to make a comment like THAT.  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 14, 2007, 07:37:12 PM »
He's still bitter about the TP Wii thing..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #372 on: January 14, 2007, 09:26:27 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
He's still bitter about the TP Wii thing..

Still, its silly to dismiss Miyamoto because of a decision he or even Aounuma has full control over. And besides, they released the GC version for the uber hardcore and those that don't have a Wii but want to play Zelda.

Can't he just let it go?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 15, 2007, 04:37:09 AM »
I think I explained myself in the previous post, jeez you people never read :P

edit: of course I'll gladly eat my words the day Pikmin wii gets announced.

Offline denjet78

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 15, 2007, 07:12:59 AM »

I think I explained myself in the previous post, jeez you people never read :P

edit: of course I'll gladly eat my words the day Pikmin wii gets announced.

Ooooo... Pikmin Wii.

It can look the same as the first one for all I care just as long as I can control 1,000 of those little critters as once. Oh, and multiplayer where you can have Pikmin-on-Pikmin wars. Can't you already see the carnage?

TEH CARNAGE!!!!

Seriously though, I'd love to see a new Pikmin. The Wiimote seems almost tailored to it. They've got to have something in the works by now, don't they?