Poll

What device do you use most to Netflix? (choose all that apply)

Game Console
22 (42.3%)
Smart Box (AppleTV, Roku, Blu-Ray player)
10 (19.2%)
Smart Phone/Tablet (& Chromecast)
8 (15.4%)
Smart TV
3 (5.8%)
Computer/HTPC
9 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: All Things Netflix! Coming Soon: The Netflix Experience, Live and In Person!??  (Read 325798 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: All Things Netflix! Now With Original Programming!
« Reply #300 on: November 11, 2013, 03:07:40 PM »
Prince of Egypt , along with Anastasia, were two films I had to ARGUE with my friends over them not being Disney productions. They said it was 'too good' to be anything other than Disney.

I still watch it every few years if I get the chance. If you like Nostalgia Critic he does a great 'Old Vs. New' bit comparing Prince of Egypt to the classic 10 Commandments films. His conclusions were surprising to me.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 11, 2013, 07:41:33 PM »
Anastasia pisses me off because of that stupid dog and Bartok.  I could forgive the music (A - It was pretty decent music, enough for me to buy the soundtrack and B - Kelsey Grammer singing, whoo-hoo!), but those two elements just ruined the movie for me.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 12, 2013, 12:36:58 AM »
The dog was an understandable and tolerable character, much like the goat in Hunchback of Notredame. But Bartok sums up most everything wrong with the movie.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 15, 2013, 08:15:02 PM »
Netflix has become the Afterlife of CableTV. Not only can you catch shows long after they've aired, but now Netflix is bringing them back as New Original Series.

Latest Resuscitation?

Netflix Brings back The Killing (from the dead for the 2nd time) for an exclusive Season 4!
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/11/15/the-killing-is-coming-back-from-cancelation-again-for-season-4-debuting-on-netflix
Someone is just having fun now with The Killing. The crime series was cancelled, for the second time, earlier this year. And now, for the second time, it's been resurrected, with Netflix announcing they will exclusively debut Season 4.

Season 4 will be a short one, comprised of just six episodes and is being promoted as the final season for the series (though at this point, should we believe them!?). Regardless, The Killing: Season 4's existence is something of a TV miracle at this point. The show debuted to great reviews and buzz for AMC, but lost much of its support by the end of Season 1, with many turned of by where its murder mystery plot went - or didn't go, as it were. Season 2 saw viewership drop and AMC cancelled the series.

However, Fox Television Studios, who produce The Killing, were determined to try and save it and a new deal was struck that caused AMC to bring it back at a lower cost, with Netflix paying to stream the series. But with numbers still low -- and despite many feeling the show was creatively much stronger in Season 3 -- the series was again cancelled by AMC this year, and thought to be dead for good this time. But yet again, Fox Television Studios has found a way for the show to continue, striking a new deal for The Killing to become a Netflix original series.

Stars Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman will return for Season 4, as will the show's creator/executive producer, Veena Sud.

“The rich, serialized storytelling in The Killing thrives on Netflix, and we believe that it is only fitting to give Sarah Linden and Stephen Holder a proper send off,” said Cindy Holland, vice president of original content for Netflix. “We are looking forward to offering fans - both existing and new - a series that we know is perfectly suited for on-demand viewing.”

David Madden, president, Fox Television Studios, commented, “It’s a true testament to The Killing creator Veena Sud, and the stellar cast led so compellingly by Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman, that fans remained so passionate about the show. We’re gratified that our partners at Netflix recognized this, and are giving us the opportunity to complete the story in a way that will be satisfying to our loyal audience."

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 16, 2013, 10:41:16 AM »
My wife was wanting to watch this last night. Never heard of it before. I may have to sit in with her unless she blasts through it without me like she did Alphas and Supernatural.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 16, 2013, 11:31:36 AM »
Let her make it through s1 & s2 on her own. It's boring, but interesting. They drag **** out and over misdirect like crazy. First 2 seasons to solve a single case. It prevented me from tuning into s3, but I hear season 3 is what s1&2 should have been, like night and day, so now I will pay catch up myself at some point.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 17, 2013, 11:10:08 AM »
I just watched Only God Forgives a 2013 movie that has Ryan Gosling re-teaming with the director of Drive.

This... is a weird movie. It's gorgeous looking and has a ton of style in each shot, but the movie has so many freaky turns its hard to fully grasp sometimes.

The director has a weird way of not using establishing shots and providing no context for a scene so often you are watching wondering if the people are in the same scene or seperate ones.

There is very little dialog, most of the time, the actors just stare at each other without emotion.

The violence is ultra violent.

There is a creepy Oedipis complex.

There is no real hero.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 17, 2013, 12:19:14 PM »
Netflix has become the Afterlife of CableTV. Not only can you catch shows long after they've aired, but now Netflix is bringing them back as New Original Series.

Pity they couldn't do this with a final season of Stargate Universe.

Plus with Ming Na in Agents of Shield and Robert Carlyle in Once Upon A Time, it's quite difficult now too.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 17, 2013, 12:48:45 PM »
Netflix new slogan should be:

It's Life After Cable, It's Netflix

It's a dig at cable companies, it's a call to cord cutters and a beacon for studios/shows looking for audience.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 13, 2013, 06:41:06 PM »
House of Cards s2 Trailer

discussing this show will be the only way we can talk politics around here. ;) ;)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 21, 2013, 03:47:30 AM »
**** Dudes I wish someone had told me earlier that the Netflix original programming was as good as it was. I watched Arrested Development when it launched and just thought it was meh. I'm watching lillyhammer and i'm hooked. Going to do house of Cards and than the Rommney Documentary next.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 21, 2013, 04:11:50 AM »
If you think Lillyhammer is good, then you will be blown away by House of Cards and especially Orange is the New Black.

Skip Hemlock Grove though, unless you are super bored and need something to fill the background with noise.

edit: time traveling for you all the way back to page 10
**** Dudes I wish someone had told me earlier that the Netflix original programming was as good as it was. I watched Arrested Development when it launched and just thought it was meh. I'm watching lillyhammer and i'm hooked. Going to do house of Cards and than the Rommney Documentary next.

I haven't watched any of the original programming yet, but it all sounds good. I think I'll start with Arrested Development since I never watched the earlier seasons either and everyone  always says how great they are, then probably House of Cards since I love my political dramas.

You can skip Hemlock Grove, or whatever it was called, as that show didn't make no damn sense.

Arrested Development s1-s3 are great. s4 (the Netflix Original) is decent.
House of Cards is a good show.
Orange is the New Black is the best new original show that Netflix has offered up yet. IMO.

There is another Netflix Original too, starring one of the mobsters from the Sopranos, it was ok, but I don't even remember what it was called. I think it made it to a second season, but then again, it might not have actually been a Netflix show.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 04:18:24 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 24, 2013, 09:36:56 AM »
Honestly think S2 of Orange is the New Black is going to be a disaster.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 14, 2014, 10:41:56 AM »
House of Cards season 2 is up for streaming now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 16, 2014, 04:04:14 PM »
I'm think about dumping Netflix and switching to Amazon Prime. The buffering issues have been terrible for about a month.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 16, 2014, 05:16:01 PM »
Blame your ISP.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 16, 2014, 06:02:11 PM »
I thought it was a Wii U issue like mentioned in a previous thread, but now it is happening on the PC and regular Wii as well. I'll test is on 3DS and my phone but I do worry that it is due to 'Net Neutrality' defeat.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 16, 2014, 06:32:02 PM »
I'm think about dumping Netflix and switching to Amazon Prime. The buffering issues have been terrible for about a month.

Who is your internet provider?

and I heard that using a VPN bypasses all the "throttling" that lots of ISP's do towards Netflix.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 16, 2014, 07:01:55 PM »
Comcast is my ISP. The only other option in town is Century Link and they are terrible due to ancient phone line all over the city.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 16, 2014, 07:23:32 PM »
Comcast has supposedly been throttling. I think Netflix has them rated as the #13 ISP when it came to streaming speeds for Netflix.

With Comcast buying out TWC, I don't see that improving anytime soon, unless Netflix cozies up with them somehow. I bet Hulu doesn't have that issue, even though Comcast had stated that they will still abide by Net neutrality regardless of the court rulings.

But VPN is supposedly the answer though.

And streaming is almost always not HD for a long time in my Wii U, but I blame that on Nintendo and their shitty wifi card they always use.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 16, 2014, 08:19:25 PM »
Comcast sucks the big one. TWC used to be the provider here, but they screwed over Bright House (before they kind of merged?) so if that deal goes through hopefully it doesn't affect me.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 18, 2014, 04:13:39 PM »
Anyone recommend a free VPN DNS?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 18, 2014, 05:10:59 PM »
I was wondering that too.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 19, 2014, 12:08:28 AM »
No offense, Caliban, but that link was no help. I have no idea why you thought it would.

Here Shyguy, check out OpenVPN.

I'm gonna try it out now if you want to wait and here what I had to do or if it's worth it.

EDIT: Easy as cake my dude. Just follow the directions on their site. I'm about to do some speed tests. I'll get back to this thread when I'm done.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:23:04 AM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports