Author Topic: Sega and Nintendo  (Read 12263 times)

Offline Pat

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« on: February 12, 2003, 03:43:56 PM »
Now..Does anyone feel that Nintendo and Sega a getting along great together? Almost like they have allied up to rid the world of the evil factions (Sony, Microsoft, namely Sony)? I think so. I mean, no to get off subject, but what about the Triforce Board? And F-Zero? I mean..F-Zero is a Nintendo game, always been, but now Nintendo allows their nemesis to develop it? Is it possible? I think Nintendo and Sega should join up. Combine powers. Create that utopia of my dreams, Sintenga. Ofcourse, I might be wrong, seeing that Rare developed alot of Nintendo produced games, and they left the S.S. Nintendo this round. ::shrug:: Just a thought.
Current Game Playing - Halo
Current Most Wanted Game - PlanetSide
Current Favorite Game - Halo
Current Favorite Console Of All Time - SNES

--------------------------

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 03:52:18 PM »
But..... Sega do what Nintendon't.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 04:52:45 PM »
I think the only reason why I like Microsoft right now is that they are helping to raise the American Economy (Xbox may not be that much of a money maker, but hell, everything helps) and when Microsoft cut XP's price i was pretty happy.. too bad i stil have Win ME

anyways.. Nintendo should not ever merge with Sega, but outright buy them... so we can laugh... and then rejoice because we will have Jet Set Radio 2
I'll shut up now...

Offline ink

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 06:00:49 PM »
The current rumor (and I stress that word) is that Microsoft is propping up Sega right now.  If that is true, then we may see more Sega support for the XBox than the Game Cube.  Besides, monopolies suck all around, and locking up exclusives for GCN isn't a cause to celebrate; the more platforms there are, the better deals we get.
The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead.

Offline Jonk

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 07:39:14 PM »
Im going to have to go with Ink on this. Some good franchise of sega and not to mention the 2 free game deal was all from SEGA. I don't think Sega and Nintendo will be good partners as long as M$'s wallet is large because they are liking what SEGA is doing for their system and will keep their game development going for the X-box. A SEGA Nintendo joining i highly unlikely with Microsoft in the picture actively pursuing and company prospect.
A Zealous Imagineer

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 08:37:36 PM »
Word has it that the new president of Sega loves Microsoft.  That (IMO) is a mortal sin, punishable by eternity in a small room with a big dude named Bubba, but that's beside the point.  It seems that Sega believes that former Dreamcast owners now own an Xbox, and nothing is shaking that belief.

The way I see it, we have two chances to convince Sega that they have fans in Nintendo's court.

1)  Buy the ridiculously hard to find Skies of Arcadia
2)  Buy everything that says Sonic on it.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Pat

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2003, 01:42:16 AM »
O.o; Sega merged with Sammy! Woo! Sega must be my favorite third party developer. @.@ Ofcourse not Square. >/ ::mumbles something about changing into some arrogant company that's going bankrupt::

Offline dogcow

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2003, 02:43:10 AM »
Sega friend with Nintendo ..... that's funny coz few days ago they just canned all sports games on Gamecube.

Offline PeRFecTIoN

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2003, 03:05:57 AM »
I feel that Sega has really given the least support to Nintendo, and given most to Microsoft (and to a lesser degree Sony).  Nintendo has the triforce, and f-zero, and some other games, but it doesnt even compare to what Sega's released on X-Box.  
w.e...

Offline Dr Synthetic

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2003, 04:31:48 AM »
I think everyone is seriously getting this all wrong.  Sure, Xbox has more Sega support... but PS2?  Come on.  What do they have that's any good besides Shinobi?  VF4 was horrid, and Ecco the Dolphin was just a port.  It's not like Sony is ROLLING AROUND in Sega games.

And I think the people who bash Sega for "not supporting the GC" are overlooking some pretty amazing things.  So far, Sega's TOP PROPERTY is GameCube exclusive.  If you don't believe that Sonic the Hedgehog is still Sega's top property, take a look at the sales figures... SA2B moved over 500,000 copies (if not more, by now) on the GC, which, as of a few months ago, was more units than the Xbox Sega games *combined*.  They also gave the GameCube first dibs on Phantasy Star Online, one of (if not THE) most-loved Sega title from the Dreamcast.

Microsoft may be paying for Sega games, but they sure as hell aren't selling very well.  Sega saw how many copies of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle they sold on GC, and will continue to give us the Sonic support... which is really all that the GC needs to get back in Sega's good graces.  If Sonic Adventure DX sells well, we can probably expect SA3.

The fact that there are already more Sonic games on the GameCube than were ever on any sole Sega console shows you that they believe in it enough to put their top property on it.  We will continue to get top-notch Sega support in the future... *without* having to wade through the sports titles.

Besides, they're running out of Dreamcast games to port, so it's about time we see some legitimate new stuff.
I'll show you a trick with ants...

Offline jme

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2003, 05:40:31 AM »
I think Sega's very loyal to Nintendo. So what if they canned Sega Sports GC production, it wasn't doing well, and it's bad business to keep it running when it's not helping any. Sure, Sega's had some exclusives for the XBox... let's take JSRF for example... oh I wonder if that had anything to do with the fact that MICROSOFT PAID FOR THEM TO MAKE THIS GAME. Of course it was going to be an exclusive. I don't belive nintendo paid Sega to make:
Super Monkey Ball
Super Monkey Ball 2
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic Mega Collection
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Home Run King
Tankers (announced)
Virtua Striker 2002

They gave nintendo some of their very best franchises (sonic, smb)
Here's what they gave Xbox:

GunValkyrie
House of the Dead III
Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Sega GT 2002
Spike Out X-treme
ToeJam & Earl III: Mission to Earth

True, some games I would've loved to see on the cube but still that list is lacking and nothing in comparison to nintendo's list. Especially considering MS paid them to make some of them.
and i ain't lyin' neither!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2003, 05:59:37 AM »
Sega is givign adequate support to everyone. The gettign rid of sports is totally logical. I mean there are millions of people who own a gcn and only 20,000 people buy nfl2k2. That must have been a fucking bitch in their wallet. It takes about 200,000 copies to break even.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2003, 07:39:40 PM »
  Maybe if they got rid of all the bugs in NFL2K3, I'd agree it was great.  But madden wooped its butt for good reason...how many seasons can my gosh darn safety lead the league in punt and kick returns?...and he wasn't returning anything!  How about 10 sacks all year for a TEAM?!    How about a WR going from 78 to a 58 in 1 year, when hes just 24?!  Sorry about the rant, but i'm fed up with people acting like its the be-all endall.  What i see when i play NFL2K3, is great ideas in some respects, with horrid execution in the most noticeable areas.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline ShadowRunner

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2003, 06:04:25 AM »
I'm very dissapointed with Sega support for Nintendo. Sure we got games but mostly ports of DC games. XBox and PS2 get all the newest games. I know nobody will agree with me, but I wish Sega could change his way. I would like to see fewer games by Sega but ported on all the consoles. This way everybody will be happy. That may be less profitable for Sega, but what about the loyal fans of Sega? Some people like me supported Sega a long time. And what Reward we get? Now we need to buy 3 consoles to play their games. This is because of this attitude that a lot of people didn't support the dreamcast. Sega have very little respect for older gamers, unlike Nintendo.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2003, 08:37:28 AM »
Sega support has been very adaqute. We will be getting probally one of the most anticipated Sega releases this year (for Japan) in Virtua Fighter Quest, its being made to honor the series 10th anaversary. And it SEEMS that the Gamecube will be the target console for the next new Sonic game even though it will more than likey be multiconsole. So be happy with what we get for Nintendo isn't paying Sega to get its games.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2003, 08:37:47 AM »
I think Sega's still trying to find their footing, and they are quite simply going where the money is.  We should be happy for this because they wouldn't be around if they didn't.  I don't think Sega is necessarily putting more effort into Nintendo than MS or Sony, and that's evidenced by the freaking amazing games that the other consoles have gotten.  GCN has gotten ports and upgrades, very often, while PS2 got Shinobi and VF4 (which I would kill for, but frankly wouldn't much enjoy on the GCN controller, I think I can safely say--however much I love the GCN controller) and XBOX got stuff like Panzer Dragoon and Shenmue II.  I have ShenII on Dreamcast, and I treasure it (I know most people don't care for its game style, but I adore it) and not getting Orta on GCN really, really, really, really deeply hurts me.  Badly.  I have the three other Panzer games on Saturn, and believe me, we're missing a lot not playing Orta on GCN.  Once I get some finances in order, the XBOX will be mine, even if only for that game.  It's that great a series.

Anyway, I think Sega's doing an admirable job, and it's amazing how many games they've released from the inception of the Dreamcast to the present.  Just think about it.  It's amazing.

EDIT:  BY THE WAY, Pat, let me take a moment to agree with you.  Even if GCN isn't getting as many ORIGINAL games, I do believe that Sega and Nintendo are getting along very nicely.  The future looks good.  Triforce alone hints at this.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline willys85

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2003, 09:04:46 AM »
Well, Sega supports GameCube in a very good way, but i think they could do it better, they gave us Skies of Arcadia, but it's not new as Shinobi, and they gave us PSO, but its a port, almost all the games that sega brings to the GameCube are ports, except for the 2k series that now are canned for the GameCube, i want new games, we want new games that we have never seen in other consoles, and those games sega only brings them for the competition, Xbox and PS2, so the support of sega is kind of weak
So Your God fell in Love with the War, Well He is Only Your God

Offline Agent

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2003, 09:17:04 AM »

Especially considering MS paid them to make some of them.

No complaints here.  

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2003, 09:29:00 AM »
Personally, I bought an Xbox because of Panzer Dragoon.  I really , honestly do love reail shooters that much, especially when they're that great.  

Sega really is giving the PS2 more support in terms of raw number of games.  3D-Ages alone is producing something like 10 games for PS2, along with Virtua Tennis, those fishing games, and more.

Nintendo is actually getting the least number of titles from Sega whether it be top tier or otherwise pretty much.

Offline demonix69

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2003, 09:39:59 AM »
how well did Panzer Dragoon sell on Xbox... anyone know?

Offline Dr Synthetic

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2003, 05:25:08 PM »

Originally posted by: BlkPaladin
And it SEEMS that the Gamecube will be the target console for the next new Sonic game even though it will more than likey be multiconsole. So be happy with what we get for Nintendo isn't paying Sega to get its games.

Multi-console?  What has been stated to make anyone think that this would be so?  The only multi-console game I can even think of from this generation that Sega did (besides the sports games) is PSO, and the Xbox version isn't even out yet.  I doubt that SA3 will be multi-console... and I'm still not totally convinced that it'll be released for the GC.

Which is, of course, a disappointment.  SA3 will do no better on the PS2 or the Xbox than it would on the GameCube.  As I've already stated, those systems are geared toward adult gamers... the big sellers are GTA3/VC and Halo.  With Nintendo, you get a guaranteed large base of people who bought a system for mascot titles, and hence, you have *guaranteed* good sales for a Sonic game.  SA3 for GC is a good bet, but not a totally safe one... Sega would be wise to keep all of the Sonic series on one system, though, and since they've got a pretty good start on it with the GC already, they *should*, in a perfect world, keep him there.

-- Edit --

My mistake, I just remembered Soccer Slam.  Silly me.
I'll show you a trick with ants...

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2003, 05:36:57 PM »
Soccer Slam was ported because EA Sports bought the development team and as part of the deal SS was ported to the other consoles.

I doubt Sonic wont be a GCN exclusive, it sold very well the first time and Nintendo must have given Sega some extra incentives thanks to the GBA Sonics..... Still Sega generally gives us the shaft, Shinobi VF on PS2, Shenmue 2, Gunvalkarie, JSRF, Panzeer Dragoon ect on Xbox and just Sonic with us Doesnt seem fair

Offline JSR

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2003, 05:44:52 PM »
It would be nice to see Sega giving GameCube more support. But think about, Sega’s number one franchise (Sonic) is exclusive to GameCube at the moment.

Apparently when Sega and Sammy merge, the president of Sammy will be in charge. So maybe, more Sega games will appear on GameCube if Sega’s Xbox-happy president is not in charge.
It's Random and It's Nintendo - Random Nintendo

Offline Pat

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2003, 01:33:46 AM »
WoO! Sorry, I've been out playing some Metroid, some Halo, sticking up for my Samus girl. Mmhm. Anyways, back to the plan..:: sits in Dr Evil chair :: >.> <.< I think Nintendo is getting alot of the ports from Dreamcast because, well, they're giving alot of extras, and I think most of the oldschool Sega fans :: is a newbie Sega Fan, hardcore Nintendo Fan >D :: are going towards Nintendo systems for their quality games, like the Dreamcast has. And what about these updated ports? All quality games here. Skies of Arcadia? One friggin awesome game there. And the Sonics? :: drools :: And the rest of the gang? But then..when you think of Panzar Dragoon or Shinobi..do you get that craving to go to Sega HQ and..raid the place to get it?! I don't..>.> And Sega cannned the Sports games on the NGC because, well..I think someone already said it..O.o But..EA Sports are stomping the market for sports games right now. I'm not big into sports games though..Can anyone say...Nintendo + Sega = Sintenga?

Offline Pat

• View Profile
Sega and Nintendo
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2003, 04:26:15 AM »
I can say..Sintenga! :: dance, jiggle, pose. flex. buff :: >.> <.<