Author Topic: Sega: MadWorld a "Mismatch" with Wii Audience  (Read 24617 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Sega: MadWorld a
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 08:15:38 PM »
I think a better parallel for MadWorld than Bayonetta would be God Hand. How well did that sell?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 08:22:12 PM »
I don't know, but it should get an updated Wiimake.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 08:32:30 PM »
MadWorld took itself too seriously

So not taking itself seriously at all is too serious for you?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Sega: MadWorld a \
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 10:01:08 PM »
MadWorld took itself too seriously

So not taking itself seriously at all is too serious for you?
I have my reasons.

I don't know, but it should get an updated Wiimake.
That's what Ready At Dawn Studios is good for. ;)
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 05:45:38 AM »
I think a better parallel for MadWorld than Bayonetta would be God Hand. How well did that sell?

No idea but people always say Mad World did way better.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 01:57:59 PM »
According to word of mouth, God Hand barely edged 10k, WORLDWIDE. This and Okami failing was Clover getting kicked in the balls by Capcom.

Madworld did do better, but it still isn't a great game.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 07:45:09 PM »
and whats even worse about Sega's assumptions was I NEVER SAW THIS TITLE AT WAL*MART

i probably would have bought it in the launch hype window, but because of its unavailability iv decided to wait till its ultra low price window instead.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »
You can also blame retailers for not stocking various 3rd Party games because they, too, were caught up in the casual party game craze.  If it wasn't a party game, it wasn't a match for the Wii audience, 2006-2009.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 10:19:11 PM »
Member of Wii audience: Sega a "mismatch" with my money
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 11:49:23 PM »
You do realize it's not just Sega right?  Just look at how well any of Big N's Mature rated games sold or why we don't see them but once in a blue moon?

Just look at No More Heroes 2--not going break the 100k mark even though it was reviewed favorable.  Yeah it's not exactly a casual game and the marketting budget was low but it should have sold more.  Red Steel 2 again, getting better than average reviews but it's not hitting the sales (think it's doing better the NMH2 since it hit 100k at least.

Certain genres sell better on certain consoles.  For example, Sega's latest Sonic Cart game is selling 3X more on the WII vrs the 360 even though it's the exact same game.  The fanbase is already cut and dry at this point the only thing Nintendo can do in try to improve it's image for next genertaion.  For starters, it's freaking Friends Code needs to go.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2010, 12:00:46 AM »
You do realize it's not just Sega right?  Just look at how well any of Big N's Mature rated games sold or why we don't see them but once in a blue moon?

Just look at No More Heroes 2--not going break the 100k mark even though it was reviewed favorable.  Yeah it's not exactly a casual game and the marketting budget was low but it should have sold more.  Red Steel 2 again, getting better than average reviews but it's not hitting the sales (think it's doing better the NMH2 since it hit 100k at least.

Certain genres sell better on certain consoles.  For example, Sega's latest Sonic Cart game is selling 3X more on the WII vrs the 360 even though it's the exact same game.  The fanbase is already cut and dry at this point the only thing Nintendo can do in try to improve it's image for next genertaion.  For starters, it's freaking Friends Code needs to go.

Return on investment is what matters most, not total units sold. NMH was Suda's best selling game, and NMH2 is keeping pace with the first. Red Steel 2 hasn't even been out long enough to determine to any extent of what word of mouth will do with it. Be patient, the Wii has a unique market where games don't sell like PS3/360 games which are seldom long tale sales, and get the bulk of their sales from the game's launch month.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2010, 12:22:19 AM »

"word of mouth will do with it" Hasn't done anything with these games.  NMH2 is actually selling worse the orginal game same with RS2.  Mature rated games usually don't spring back unless it's x-mas time.  The games you're talking about are mostly casual games like Ubisoft Just Dance which is actually selling more now then it did in it's opening month.

Suda is most likely going be out of another publisher, I don't think any of his titles made it in the black even.  He has some talent (interesting ideas anyhow but he lacks the team to make a finished product).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2010, 12:28:52 AM »
I'm pretty at least one Suda game was profitable; I doubt anyone would have greenlit a No More Heroes sequel if the first one didn't make money. He makes games on such a small budget that they can sell 100-200k and make money, a lesson the rest of the industry should learn.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2010, 12:48:45 AM »
Nope, the only reason why they made any money for a sequel is they sold the publishing rights to multiple companies.  Red whatever that company is bought the rights to make an XBox/PS3 port (think they are both the developer and publisher).

And no, some games do get sequels even though the first one didn't make a profit.  Basically if you recycle the old game and add a few new elements you might be able to get back a better return or at least recover more of your loss.  Prince of Persia Sands of Time for example.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2010, 01:02:38 AM »
Oh this is so entertaining Ymeegod!
Let us discuss this a bit more.
In its first month World at War was like 100 K. The other versions were much higher.
Now you say that M rated Wii games don't come back to sell.
 Please explain to me in you infinite knowledge how the title managed to sell 1 million units? Please let me know.

Let us look over the first No More Heroes. It is at 500 K at the moment. Suda51's other titles didn't even make a blip on the sales charts.

Now you are comparing the second No more Heroes game with the first. Let us compare the games which were released at the time of each release.

No more Heroes was released with Endless Ocean in January 2008.
Not much competition.
Flashforward to January 2010.
Tatsunoko VS Capcom came out I believe the same day. MAG and I think Mass Effect 2 came out as well the same day.

You would think that No More Heroes 2 would be a harder sell to consumers with all these core games coming out at the same time.

As far as Red Steel and Red Steel 2 as others said you have to be patient.For me personally I haven't gotten it because there is so many games that I am trying to catch up on.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline LJKKJLCM9

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2010, 01:08:56 AM »

I liked No More Heroes and NMH2, but honestly, they weren't anything spectacular.  And they were most definitely niche titles.  Red Steel 2 I was sold on with how awesome it looked and everything, but then there is no multiplayer at all?  FPS needs multiplayer these days, and they could have easily done a two player sword fighting mode.  That made it no longer an insta-buy for me, though I will get this in the future.  MadWorld I was highly interested in, but because of the short length and repetitive nature, I never bought it.

The real issue here is not M-rated titles selling.  It's that the M-rated titles available on PS3/360 are of much higher quality.  Give me an actual well developed awesome M rated game that competes with those on the other systems, and plenty of people would buy it in a heartbeat.  Why would I buy Madworld, when I can buy God of War 3, or even Ninja Gaiden 1 or 2 (Sigma for PS3)?  And No More Heroes is a niche title no matter what system it would have been on.  That's what hurt The Conduit. It's a decent game, but it in no way truly competes with the FPS offerings on the other systems.

THE JACKEL
Original series are the greatest, ie. the ones that started on NES:<BR>Metroid, Final Fantasy, Megaman, Mario, Zelda...and more!!!!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2010, 01:30:00 AM »

"word of mouth will do with it" Hasn't done anything with these games.  NMH2 is actually selling worse the orginal game same with RS2.  Mature rated games usually don't spring back unless it's x-mas time.  The games you're talking about are mostly casual games like Ubisoft Just Dance which is actually selling more now then it did in it's opening month.

Suda is most likely going be out of another publisher, I don't think any of his titles made it in the black even.  He has some talent (interesting ideas anyhow but he lacks the team to make a finished product).

Red Steel was a launch title the chances of RS2 selling the same are ridiculous to begin with. NMH2, we'll see.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2010, 02:58:12 AM »
Let me just ask this: Why the **** do you blame the Wii for Suda 51 games being niche?

Generally listen to what companies say about their games. E.g. TvC wasn't a huge seller but Capcom was pleased with it, that means they didn't expect it to be a huge seller and budgeted accordingly. Companies know that not every game is a potential multi-million seller.

As for RS2, the easiest way to add MP to that would be a set of challenge rooms where you go for the high score (how much money you earn) with online leaderboards. I wonder if it'd be feasible to make a WiiWare spinoff RS2 Challenges that's only highscore challenges, I'd buy that.

Offline Podings

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2010, 05:53:32 AM »
How incredibly obnoxious. Compared to Bayonetta, Madworld represented half the effort, and appeared on half the amount of systems. No surprise to me you get half the sales.

The demographic thing simply isn't true either; Capcom repackaged Okami for Wii, and got DOUBLE the sales they had on PS2. And even that game's combined sales don't reach Madworld, despite receiving much greater reviews.

I think SEGA knows the limited appeal of Clover/Platinum Games' creations.
This is probably just a case of one guy rising to spew idiocy.

I'm the love child of an NES and a C64.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2010, 01:57:43 PM »
I think SEGA knows the limited appeal of Clover/Platinum Games' creations.
This is probably just a case of one guy rising to spew idiocy.
Typical SEGA trolling.

SEGA pretends to know about games when they don't know how to make them to begin with.

Quote from: Golden Phoenix
Red Steel was a launch title the chances of RS2 selling the same are ridiculous to begin with.
Not to mention that both Nintendo fans and casual fans think Ubi is bottom barrel.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:59:41 PM by Peachylala »

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2010, 12:54:49 AM »
"World of War"  You do realize it was shipping a few months prior to X-mas?  And I did state what happens around x-mas sales.  It's basically the same as MW sales (hit 1 million on the WII) then tapered down.  And that's mostly because it's a brandname and it's still not even close to what the sales are on the PS3 or XBox.

"Capcom repackaged Okami for Wii, and got DOUBLE the sales they had on PS2"  Actually that's not true they ended up around the exact same number 300K. 

What alot of you are forgetting is you are focussing on OVERALL sales but Madworld didn't hit 500K prior to being a bargin bin game. Was less than 200K prior to hitting barginbin status.

-------------------------

And like I said, it's a litte late to change demographics at this point in the console lifespan.  Kinda like Sony's Move and Natal--to late to make much of a difference. 

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2010, 01:15:46 AM »
So you discount World at War because it is a brand name. With that logic why don't we discount Grand theft Auto's sales. Oh what about Mario?
Or even Halo?

On Madworlds sales you are discounting its sales because it was discounted in price. Hey what about all the HD titles that had sales after they were reduced in price?

Point being is that this can go two ways.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2010, 01:41:17 AM »
And I consider them as well--

MW2 sold 10 million+ at full price.  Bayonett is sold I think already at 500K on the XBox and similar on the PS3.

A good example of a poor seller on the HD consoles is Mirror's Edge.  Think it's over 2 million units sold but EA consider it a loss because most of it's sales was because the game was marked down. 

---------

Market research doesn't lie. 

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2010, 02:09:41 AM »
What alot of you are forgetting is you are focussing on OVERALL sales but Madworld didn't hit 500K prior to being a bargin bin game. Was less than 200K prior to hitting barginbin status.

Yeah but Mad World was a game so low in value that it didn't deserve to sell at full price, that's not the fault of the Wii.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2010, 02:41:20 PM »

Yeah but Mad World was a game so low in value that it didn't deserve to sell at full price, that's not the fault of the Wii.

Hurr I didn't like it so that means it's ****.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown