Author Topic: Did Evan quit?  (Read 12837 times)

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
Re: Did Evan quit?
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 02:47:23 PM »
I was really busy with school - I took 12 credits for the first time ever, and let me say that I really enjoy relaxing after a long week of homework.

12 credits = full time student?

If so, fail. Try doing 14 in a semester, then we'll talk.

I know someone who does 16 and keeps a part-time job and a boyfriend; I know another who does 12 and keeps a full-time job and gets straight As. I'd rather not do either.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 03:26:43 PM »
Back in my day, I did 17, had two part time jobs, an annoying girlfriend, drinking and drug habit, and took up songwriting.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2008, 03:35:18 PM »
BACK in my day, I worked 25 hours a day in a salt mine. The only beverage we were allowed was salt water. We got Sundays off so we could dig ditches. Through rock. the ditches were 12 miles away, which we had to walk to. Uphill. both ways.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2008, 04:21:58 PM »
I was really busy with school - I took 12 credits for the first time ever, and let me say that I really enjoy relaxing after a long week of homework.

12 credits = full time student?

If so, fail. Try doing 14 in a semester, then we'll talk.

I know someone who does 16 and keeps a part-time job and a boyfriend; I know another who does 12 and keeps a full-time job and gets straight As. I'd rather not do either.

So do all three?

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2008, 07:31:22 PM »

I'm doing 12 this semester, plus part-time work, plus some freelance stuff. All I'm hearing right now is "wah wah wah".

Seriously, harden the **** up.

Offline Svevan

• View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2008, 08:32:48 PM »
Seriously, I could care less how easy school is for you. Everyone has their own dumbass story about how great they were in college: whatever. I want good grades, I don't get them when I do other ****, and I need personal time to relax. Overworking is an American curse that has apparently been transferred to your continent.
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2008, 08:52:54 PM »
Strong work ethic=Curse. j/k ;)

I'm with you though Evan in regards to focusing on school, I did the same thing!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2008, 09:12:48 PM »
Seriously, I could care less how easy school is for you. Everyone has their own dumbass story about how great they were in college: whatever. I want good grades, I don't get them when I do other ****, and I need personal time to relax. Overworking is an American curse that has apparently been transferred to your continent.

Wow, the sarcasm was lost in translation across the Pacific methinks.

PS: It hasn't been a walk in the park. It's been almost six years of hellish, full-time mayhem.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 09:15:44 PM by Shift Key »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2008, 09:35:48 PM »
We're talking about credits during fall/spring semesters, right? Because I know some people who do 18+.
Hell, I'll be doing like 16/semester 'till I graduate.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2008, 10:11:16 PM »
We're talking about credits during fall/spring semesters, right? Because I know some people who do 18+.
Hell, I'll be doing like 16/semester 'till I graduate.

Not sure how they work out workloads for you guys, but over here 12 units is considered "full-time", and I've been doing around about that all the way through uni.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2008, 10:25:34 PM »
It's 12 over here, too. But, I'm taking 16 credits this fall, not counting 2 labs.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2008, 03:40:11 AM »
My mom was telling me how she pulled 19 credits or 21 oftentimes... I am in awe of her, or anyone else, who pushes the limit that high and handles it while getting good grades.

I'm lucky in that I've been able to keep my classes down to 14 units a semester for most of college life when I'm supposed to be taking 16 and up according to the "plan" (here's a hint as to how to do it: spend a lot of time at community college beforehand "finding yourself"). Just this last semester I took 16 for the first time ever and it was... not something I'd want to up the intensity on.

Back in my day, I did 17, had two part time jobs, an annoying girlfriend, drinking and drug habit, and took up songwriting.

*looks at screenname*

j/k! 17 credits alone is more than I've ever taken at once ever. You is crazy.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Svevan

• View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2008, 06:50:27 AM »
It hasn't been a walk in the park. It's been almost six years of hellish, full-time mayhem.

oddly enough, so has YOUR MOM.

Apparently the speed at which I go to school is a sore point for me.
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2008, 07:10:40 AM »
Apparently the speed at which I go to school is a sore point for me.

Don't mind me. I've mocked a lot of arts students over the years...

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2008, 11:55:52 AM »
The only thing I wonder about is that 12 units is the minimum to be considered full time and therefore lock in your tuition costs.  Any lower and they can raise the prices on you.  Is it different where you are, Evan?

I took 18 units one semester, but that was early on and I don't think I took anything very advanced then.  A student's workload depends more on the class and professor than the numbers on the schedule, anyway.

Offline Svevan

• View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2008, 03:48:11 PM »
It's also necessary to differentiate between semesters and terms (my schools divide terms by the seasons, so there are four a year, but really only three per school year) and between 3 and 4 credit classes: I've been taking 3 credit classes, so that means four classes total at full time. If I take 4 credit classes, I may be able to squeeze 16 credits, but it will very much depend on the class and difficulty.

This last term I was taking sociology, African American literature, art history, and state and local government. It was a full plate.

AFAIK, at the University (which I have not yet attended but will this fall), if you take 16 credits you essentially get a free class. That may be worth it.
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2008, 10:57:49 PM »
If you're not on scholarship, I would say so.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2008, 10:19:43 PM »
i'm almost done with school yay! i'm in my last class!
i have to write 2 essays right now
1 consider how conversion efforts were aided by the accomodational strategies and cultural negotiations of friars and Amerindians. how did accomodational strategies draw upon the syncretism of native and Christian traditions? Discuss at least five specific examples found within the art and architecture of sixteenth-century new Spain.

2 Discuss how and why conversion efforts occurring in the vice royalties of new Spain and Peru were markedly different. Using Specific examples explain the key differences between these groups(ideological, cultural, religious, visual, and/or geographic). How did these differences affect missionary approaches in each location? How are differences reflected in the art and architecture of each region, as well?

damn art HISTORY class
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2008, 09:28:05 PM »
Back in my day I took 52 credits a semester, graduated in a year flat WITH a masters degree.  On top of that I had a full time job as a Chesapeake Bay crabber AND held the rank of First Lieutenant in the U.S.A.F. Cyber Command.  I was also dating 42 women, and was married to six others.  During that year I fathered 20 children, 11 boys 8 girls and an "other," built a house with my bare hands, and learned Mandarin from a "do it yourself" CD course.

I got straight A+ and graduated valedictorian.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2008, 09:47:02 PM »
But how many blog posts that no one read did you write about movies that no one watched?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2008, 11:13:53 PM »
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Svevan

• View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2008, 06:05:20 AM »
blog posts that no one read...about movies that no one watched...
this is only funny because of how desperately true it is.
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2008, 07:30:08 PM »
Back in my day I took 52 credits a semester, graduated in a year flat WITH a masters degree.  On top of that I had a full time job as a Chesapeake Bay crabber AND held the rank of First Lieutenant in the U.S.A.F. Cyber Command.  I was also dating 42 women, and was married to six others.  During that year I fathered 20 children, 11 boys 8 girls and an "other," built a house with my bare hands, and learned Mandarin from a "do it yourself" CD course.

I got straight A+ and graduated valedictorian.

LOL awesome.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2008, 08:57:32 PM »
what puts it over the top is the "11 boys, 8 girls, and an 'other'"

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2008, 10:07:24 PM »
It's also necessary to differentiate between semesters and terms (my schools divide terms by the seasons, so there are four a year, but really only three per school year) and between 3 and 4 credit classes: I've been taking 3 credit classes, so that means four classes total at full time. If I take 4 credit classes, I may be able to squeeze 16 credits, but it will very much depend on the class and difficulty.

This last term I was taking sociology, African American literature, art history, and state and local government. It was a full plate.

AFAIK, at the University (which I have not yet attended but will this fall), if you take 16 credits you essentially get a free class. That may be worth it.
lol 16 credits... I had to take 18 for my scholarship type thingy.  A lot of my friends had only 12 and all the classes required were hard... I had to take PE's to round it out when I hit 17 a couple times...

Though most semester 16 credits worth of classes probably be just as much trouble...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.