Author Topic: Gettin' Cube...finally!  (Read 208894 times)

Offline night-fever

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Gettin' Cube...finally! (Official "What game should I get?" Thread)
« Reply #425 on: January 08, 2004, 07:39:31 AM »
thanks Molobert. I'm gunna go with Super smash bros.

Offline VoodooMerlin

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 10, 2004, 01:54:05 AM »
Taking into consideration that one person's "great game" isn't necessarily another's.......it's hard to find many bad games on the Cube. There's something good for everyone. Want mature puzzle solving with mindblowing graphics? Resident Evil more than fits the bill. Fast shooter action in a game that you don't have to focus on too deeply? PN03 works beautifully. Something funny and overlooked? Wario World. Big time adventure and exploration of a massive alien world? Star Fox or Metroid Prime. Racing? Almost any of them. Try EA's F1 2001 or try and find a copy of Warthog's "Rally Championship" if you want to work really hard. Steep learning curve on that one. Hunt down a copy of 4X4 Evo. It's sorta Gran Turismo for SUVs and pickups. 200 different mods for each truck.

If you want a turn based RPG then most will agree that it's Skies Of Arcadia that you need. Want more action oriented RPGing where you still level up? I highly recommend Koie's masterpiece Mystic Heroes. It's got a 4 player multiplayer option and really shows what the Cube can do with it's graphic prowess. One of the best games on the system IMO. Try finding it, though.

There's SO many titles on this Cube and the majority are worth every penny. Grab a copy of Nintendo Power and look at the current games list that they publish in every issue. It's huge. Buy it every month if you can. Just go with whatever genre you're in the mood to play. Also remember that whatever many people say sucks, just might end up being YOUR favorite game. Use the opinions of others as a general guideline, but be your own judge. Some of the more obscure lesser titles can be some of the best.

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 10, 2004, 04:52:49 PM »
If you want rpgs look no further than the gba it has a crap load of excellent ones, from the Golden sun series to mario and luigi.
PikkCuber

Offline VoodooMerlin

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 11, 2004, 01:43:15 PM »
You said it, Pikkcuber!

I took it one level higher and play the GBA rpgs through a GBA player on my Cube. I've had my GBA packed away ever since the day that the player came out. I'm just keeping it around for games like Crystal Chronicles.

Offline The Butcher

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 13, 2004, 04:18:45 PM »
Hey y'all, I've moved my "best pick up and play games" thead over here (sorry mods, I didn't know if it fit into this thread exactly or not-- my bad). Anyways, I ask the age-old question: what games for the Cube are best for "pick up and play"? I don't always have tons of time to get into a deep story line, or time for getting used to a wacky control scheme. Sometimes I just want to play a game for a little while, and not have to think too much about it. Arcade-style. Just have some instant fun for a few.

I own and love Viewtiful Joe-- it definitely has that old school vibe, and it takes two seconds to learn the controls, and start whoopin' on people (er, robots). Super Monkey Ball has me curious. Some of you kind folks had some other good suggestions, but I'd still like to hear some opinions if anyone has any.

You really can never have enough games.

Offline VoodooMerlin

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 13, 2004, 09:53:17 PM »
Well, Butcher.........you're in luck because the Cube's library is full of those types of games.

Lessee.......I recommend (at the very top of the list) PN03. Wanna see a hot babe in a thong bikini blasting the crap out of security robots at a shut-down space facility? I knew you would.

Wario World. Wanna see a fat guy in a yellow suit beat the crap out of monsters in order to get his fortune back?

Mario Golf. Play the front or back nine of your favorite course. If you've got time play the whole course. This game is SO tightly buttoned up, it's perfect. This is great proof that when Nintendo's on....they're ON.

Any sports game, if you're into sports, 'cos you can just play a single game.

I'm also gonna mention Baldur's Gate. A mindless dungeon crawler. Just kill things. Lots of things.

Racing games are good. Do a time trial or work on a few races. Not time consuming unless you want them to be. Auto Modellista.

Soul Caliber. You can work on this fighter at your own pace.

There's craploads of quick games. Do the PN03.

Offline PZ

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 14, 2004, 07:47:49 AM »
here is a question:

I have never played Resident Evil or Resident Evil Zero. I want to try the series out, so which one should I buy first?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE: Gettin' Cube...finally! (Official "What game should I get?" Thread)
« Reply #432 on: January 14, 2004, 08:46:27 AM »
i'd recommend resident evil remake.  it's a remake of the first game in the series, so there's no prior knowledge required to play.  zero would probably work almost as well, but there's a bit of back story to the game, so you won't go "ah...so that's why xyz was like it was in the first game".
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline VoodooMerlin

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 14, 2004, 03:53:07 PM »
For absolute SURE do the first one first. What I recommend, if possible, is to find the original and play it on a Playstation. You'll get to experience the version that made survival-horror addicts out of thousands of gamers. It's one of the most influentially important games in gaming history.

After that, buy the remake for your Cube.

Offline VoodooMerlin

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 14, 2004, 03:58:06 PM »
I should also add that if you want to do them "in order" then you would play the newer Zero game first.

Don't ruin it for yourself. Play the Playstation version and see what caused all of the hype. It's phenomenal.

Offline WilliamMom

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 15, 2004, 08:12:08 AM »
I'm hoping someone out there can help me out....  We got our 9 year old a GameCube for Christmas and he LOVES it!!  We rented all of the game stations ahead of time before we made the BIG CHOICE.

One of the reasons we chose the GC was the great selection of games available for him and his 4 year old brother (who thinks he's 10).

We are looking for a GC game that is like Microsoft's "Age of Empires" PC game - fun, educational and challenging.

Any ideas??

THANKS!

William's and Jon's Mom

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 15, 2004, 03:35:51 PM »
Pikmin is your game. A very fun game, that relies on strategy, its a bit different to Age of Empires though, but its a strategy game, and one nobody should miss out on. Plus it's cheap now, you really can't lose.

Why would you want to play the PSX version of Resident Evil when you can play a better version on GCN? What does RE on PSX have that the GCN version doesnt have?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 15, 2004, 03:51:22 PM »
Jill Sandwich!  

Or was that a trick question?  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 15, 2004, 04:19:01 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
Pikmin is your game. A very fun game, that relies on strategy, its a bit different to Age of Empires though, but its a strategy game, and one nobody should miss out on. Plus it's cheap now, you really can't lose.

OMG, how embarrassing. I had some opinions on some games so I pm'd WilliamMom with what I thought.  I left out Pikmin of all games.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 15, 2004, 04:24:55 PM »
I personally would have to recommend Animal Crossing- it's like the Sims except a lot more fun and addicting, in my opinion (and I guess you could say educational, since you have to know how to responsibly manage money). Leave it to Nintendo to entertain people for hours on end by having them catch fish and dig holes.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline JCHCpunk12

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 15, 2004, 05:17:05 PM »
I would sugest Super smash brothers Melee. sence it has diffuculty settings rangeing from very easy to very hard it is a great game for begining gamers, they could play it together. And the game is so fun i have not gottin tired of it and you can play if for months and still not complete everything. And you become better and better the more you play it and the game will always have a challange for you. I would get this game deffenently in the future if not now. I would rate it as one of gamecubes best

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 15, 2004, 09:49:56 PM »
Does anybody know anything about Rogue Ops?  I am thinking about buying it because I'm in the mood for a stealth game after playing MGS 1 & MGS 2.  I'm trying to play Splinter Cell right now, but I can't get into (read: it sucks).  I'm just wondering if anyone here has it or has played it before, and how it is.  Thanks.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline VoodooMerlin

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 16, 2004, 03:39:14 AM »
Hey Mario....what does Res Evil have on Playstation that GameCube doesn't?

History.

The reason that I recommended playing the PSX version FIRST is so that he could experience what freaked the gaming community out "back in the day". To get an understanding of WHY the game was so huge. Graphics ain't everything....but what this game showed on a 32-bit system was revolutionary.

After that...yep, grab the Cube version and freak over the opening CG and insane lighting effects. It's fun to compare where we were and how far we've come. Cube RE is still probably the best damned lighting I've seen in a next gen console game.

Rogue Ops......the games have a reputation of not really being that "buttoned up". They're okay as a weekend boredom rental.....but you might not want to spend the bux to buy them IMO.

Offline PZ

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 16, 2004, 06:25:35 AM »
yeah i could do that, but that would require that i buy a playstation, and im not really into buying a console just for one game, even if it is just 20 bucks now. im gonna use that 20 to buy the gcn version.

i do agree that it is fun to go back and see those games you used to think were so badass.  like when i got warcraft 2 back in the day and after a while i went back and played warcraft 1 just to remember what it had been like. hahaha

Offline WilliamMom

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 16, 2004, 11:32:18 AM »
Thanks for your replies - we'll check out Pikmin and Animal Crossing.  They sound great!

I just read the reviews of "Skies of Arcadia Legends" and it seemed like a neat game as well.  Does anyone out there have any opinions on this game?

This is a GREAT forum!!  Is there a sub-group for parents of GC players so that we can stay up to date and involved?  WAHOO!

WilliamMom

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 16, 2004, 11:36:04 AM »

I just read the reviews of "Skies of Arcadia Legends" and it seemed like a neat game as well. Does anyone out there have any opinions on this game?

Skies of Arcadia Legends is easily one of the best RPG's I've ever played- a bit tedious in the battles, but the rest of the game more than makes up for it.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline WilliamMom

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 16, 2004, 11:48:22 AM »
I have a really dumb question - what's an RPG??

Offline JCHCpunk12

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 16, 2004, 05:01:21 PM »
RPG stands for Roll playing game. It is a game were you play the roll of someone and go out on a adventure most times and pretty much all of them have a diferent stratigic battle style than running up to someone and hitting them or shooting them, it is hard to expland online but basiclly you choose what attacks your character(s) use and you watch the damage go down on your oponents and is a great style. and Skies of Arcadia is In my opinion the best RPG for game cube so far. Its pretty long and has a huge map layout its one of my favorites.

Offline VoodooMerlin

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 16, 2004, 07:22:01 PM »
WilliamMom......Nintendo Power magazine is a great way to keep up with what's going on each month. It's 100% Nintendo content, unlike other magazines. You can buy it anywhere that carries a good selection. They feature tips and strategy, hints and codes and previews of upcoming games.

Try the game Wario World. For family fun try either Mario Golf or Beach Spikers Volleyball (don't worry about the cover art, there's nothing suggestive in the game....and it's VERY easy to play. One button). There's also Luigi's Mansion or Mickey's Magical Mirror. The others have mentioned Animal Crossing and Pikmin. It's incredible.

Skies Of Arcadia. One of my personal favorites. But your kids are younger. It's more for an experienced gamer. As far as the RTS stuff (Real Time Strategy) like what Age Of Empires is, you won't find any of that sort of game on the Cube. It would be nice, but not the right market.

Offline HeinekenHazed

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 17, 2004, 07:02:32 AM »
Has anybody played Need for Speed, Underground.  Is it any good????