Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 455732 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Super Smash Bros. WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #250 on: July 13, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 13, 2012, 11:03:38 PM »
Also a great character!
That's a really ugly She-Hulk Model and a Really boring stage.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 13, 2012, 11:08:09 PM »
That stage is like... the "Final Destination" of MvC3.

... I really dislike it when people only want to play on Final Destination.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #253 on: July 13, 2012, 11:31:49 PM »
I know this. I want to know how that is relevant.

Just ranting that he is basically obsessed with motion capture, and he is pretty much turning away any live action projects.

In the last 11 years he has only done 3 movies anyways. Beowulf has a pretty good average. Also, he is doing a live action movie that comes out this year (called Flight). I should also point out that he only produced Mars Needs Moms, he didn't direct it (Simon Wells did).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
News from Sakurai
« Reply #254 on: August 07, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/07/masahiro-sakurai-talks-super-smash-bros-4

"The game system itself is complete, so we don’t want to make it 3D or introduce complicated controls just for the sake of it," he said. "However, I am thinking of ways we can introduce a slightly different, fun experience all the while keeping the usual frantic game play.
"I think Snake and Sonic joining were fantastic. It made many fans happy, and it broadened the Smash Bros arena," he said. "However, introducing more non-Nintendo characters willy-nilly will lose the focus of the game, so I also recognise the need to narrow it down."
Super Smash Bros. 4 is in development for Wii U and 3DS, with a release expected sometime in 2013.

Sounds good, don't know about that 2013 release though.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 07, 2012, 04:37:01 PM »
There is absolutely no way that game's coming out in 2013. I think there's a decent chance it doesn't even hit 2014.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 07, 2012, 04:57:35 PM »
Well I could see the 3DS version making it out by Fall 2014 since it's probably be reusing a lot of Brawl's assets which will help speed up development for that game.  The Wii U version though, yeah that'll be 2015 at the earliest.  Since Sakurai loves to get the most out of what the systems can graphically do at the time, making a Smash Bros for a system more powerful then the 360/PS3 and pushing it's power for something like Smash Bros that has an enormous amount of content is going to take a long time.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii U version doesn't come out until even 2016.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #257 on: August 07, 2012, 05:22:01 PM »
No way is it out in 2013, (since they just started development a few months ago) but I don't see it taking til 2016 either. I think Fall 2014 or Spring 2015.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 07, 2012, 06:14:22 PM »
Well, Nintendo did hire Namco to help make the game.  Maybe they are hoping that will help fast track the game to release.  There is a small chance for a Christmas 2013 release.

That said, I expect it in 2014 at the earliest as well.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 07, 2012, 07:59:19 PM »
This 2015 talk is freaking me out! I don't think we'll see it in 2013, but dear god we better see it in 2014!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 07, 2012, 10:50:43 PM »
Namco Bandai already had a prototype smash bros up and running before we even got an official announcement that they were working with Nintendo. Development may be farther along than we think. Still I don't truly expect the first game until early 2014 at the earliest.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 08, 2012, 01:55:05 AM »
I'd expect the 3DS version to hit first with the Wii U version to follow a few months later.

gotta force as many people as possible to double dip by giving them the portable version first before the big graphical showcase version.  I also wouldn't be surprised if this is aimed at Xmas 2013 to try and overshadow the PS4/720 release HYPE trains.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 09, 2012, 01:40:59 PM »
Namco Bandai already had a prototype smash bros up and running before we even got an official announcement that they were working with Nintendo. Development may be farther along than we think. Still I don't truly expect the first game until early 2014 at the earliest.
They could very well have been working on it long before Sakurai ever got involved with it.  They may have been working on the functionality and everything except the roster, story, balance and details before he joined.  If that is true, there is a good chance it could come out in 2013.  You know Nintendo wants to get this game out asap.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 09, 2012, 02:14:44 PM »
I'd expect the 3DS version to hit first with the Wii U version to follow a few months later.

gotta force as many people as possible to double dip by giving them the portable version first before the big graphical showcase version.  I also wouldn't be surprised if this is aimed at Xmas 2013 to try and overshadow the PS4/720 release HYPE trains.

Hm, good point, Ninty won't have a Zelda or a Mario ready to draw off attention from the new consoles, and Smash has probably the most active community of any of their properties. I bet they would love to launch holiday 2013. With full patching capability they might feel more comfortable releasing a somewhat rushed product.

Then again, Retro's project might be slotted to fill that gap, though unless it's based on an existing property it would by very unlikely to match Smash-level hype. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 09, 2012, 02:18:29 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure they won't have a Mario. I think there's a pretty good chance EAD Tokyo will have something ready for next fall. I'd love for them to have a chance to do something other than Mario, but I don't see it happening this time around.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 09, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »
They could very well have been working on it long before Sakurai ever got involved with it.  They may have been working on the functionality and everything except the roster, story, balance and details before he joined.  If that is true, there is a good chance it could come out in 2013.  You know Nintendo wants to get this game out asap.

The thing to remember is Sakurai loves to pack his games full of content and he has a lot of power thanks to his close relationship with Iwata. Kid Icarus: Uprising for the 3DS literally first started development in late 2008 when Sakurai even said they made an early prototype on the Wii, and yet the final game didn't come out until Spring 2012.  Didn't matter that they had a prototype ready in 2008 because the final game ended up being packed with so much content that it took over 3 years to make.

It's the same thing with Smash Bros as well.  It doesn't matter if Namco has an functioning prototype of the game already done because if Sakurai wants this game to have an insane amount of content like his last several games have had, it could easily end up taking over 3 years for the next Smash Bros to be made as well.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 09, 2012, 03:06:49 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure they won't have a Mario. I think there's a pretty good chance EAD Tokyo will have something ready for next fall. I'd love for them to have a chance to do something other than Mario, but I don't see it happening this time around.

Actually, yeah, I forgot that they didn't make Galaxy 2. They might indeed have something ready to go.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 09, 2012, 04:02:11 PM »

Actually, yeah, I forgot that they didn't make Galaxy 2. They might indeed have something ready to go.

Actually, I've been personally imagining a future where Mario Kart is the big Wii U game next fall.

Offline Anth0ny

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 09, 2012, 04:02:38 PM »
They'll claim a holiday 2013 release at E3, but the game will be delayed to March 2014. Calling it now.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 09, 2012, 04:12:19 PM »

Tokyo EAD did make Galaxy 2 though.  People have to remember that Tokyo EAD was just one studio with one team back when they made Jungle Beat and the first Mario Galaxy.  After Galaxy 1 was released, Nintendo split the studio into 2 different teams.  The problem is Wikipedia credits the first team with making Jungle Beat and Galaxy 1 and the second team with making Galaxy 2 and 3D Land because there was only one team before Galaxy 2.  The problem is, most of the major people who made Jungle Beat and Galaxy 1 were the ones who became that second team that did Galaxy 2 and 3D Land.

That's the thing, the Second Team at Tokyo EAD is the main team that is made up of all the major people that made all their previous games and is basically the whole studio.  The First Team on the other hand is just a small group of leftovers that has only made the DSiWare game Jibun de Tsukuru Nintendo DS Guide, and help Grezzo with the Ocarina of Time 3D port and Four Sword Anniversary download.

So no, I really wouldn't except them to have anything ready since the main Mario team last made 3D Land which came out Fall 2011, and the other team is way to small to even try and work on anything for an HD system.  Of course Nintendo did use Brownie Brown to help get Mario 3D Land out for its Fall release last year so they might be able to do the same for a Wii U game in 2013.  Of course the wild card is the is going to be Tokyo EAD's first HD game and since they love to get the most out of the Wii power, if they try to get the most out of the Wii U, that could easily result in time taking longer then they hoped.

Seriously, this is the one thing I worry the most about with Nintendo's top studio's for the Wii U.  Since there's going to be a huge, basically lightyear style jump between the Wii and Wii U, if these studio's want to really show off it's power like they did on the Wii, it will result in these top games taking longer because of how much more work they'll have to put in their Wii U games.  Now for Smash Bros it won't be much of a problem since Namco is experienced with HD development, but that won't mean anything again if Sakurai wants to pack the game full with as many things as possible.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 09, 2012, 04:19:08 PM »
Two years is enough time to make a game, especially another one in a franchise they know as well as they do. Since Galaxy 2 apparently could have been out at the end of 2009 but they bumped it out of the way of NSMBWii, you figure two years from Galaxy to Galaxy 2 and then 2 years from Galaxy 2 to 3D Land. I'd be surprised if their next game were any later than early 2014, with late 2013 a very real possibility.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Anth0ny

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 09, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »
EAD Tokyo is definitely cooking something up for Wii U. I'm sure they were on it as soon as development wrapped up on 3D Land.

I think holiday 2013 is a safe bet for the 3D Wii U Mario. Nintendo is gonna need something big to compete with the PS4/720 launch. If Smash Bros isn't ready, Mario is their man.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 09, 2012, 04:48:01 PM »
I agree a Fall 2013 for a 3D Mario is possible, but I still worry Tokyo EAD trying to push the Wii U's power could result in it taking much longer.  It took them 2 years to make 3D Land and that was still Gamecube/Wii power development.  There's a good chance jumping from that type of hardware to hardware more powerful then the 360/PS3 will result in development of the next 3D Mario taking longer then 2 years.

Of course Nintendo did use Brownie Brown to make some of the levels in 3D Land so it could make the Fall 2011 release.  So I guess if they do the same thing for the next 3D Mario and have other studio's work with Toyko EAD to make levels it could be done by Fall 2013.  Either way I like to just imagine the worst case scenario so I'll be glad when it doesn't happen and not mad if it does.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 11, 2012, 12:50:17 AM »
I agree a Fall 2013 for a 3D Mario is possible, but I still worry Tokyo EAD trying to push the Wii U's power could result in it taking much longer.  It took them 2 years to make 3D Land and that was still Gamecube/Wii power development.  There's a good chance jumping from that type of hardware to hardware more powerful then the 360/PS3 will result in development of the next 3D Mario taking longer then 2 years.

Of course Nintendo did use Brownie Brown to make some of the levels in 3D Land so it could make the Fall 2011 release.  So I guess if they do the same thing for the next 3D Mario and have other studio's work with Toyko EAD to make levels it could be done by Fall 2013.  Either way I like to just imagine the worst case scenario so I'll be glad when it doesn't happen and not mad if it does.

Nintendo used Brownie Brown to help make Mario 3D Land? Source?

Is Brownie Brown owned by Nintendo? Because they helped develop quite a few 3rd-party games for the GBA and DS, including Heroes / Sword of Mana and Blue Dragon Plus (the latter series is ironically owned by Microsoft & Mistwalker). It would be very odd of Nintendo to loan one of their own studios to help make a game (Blue Dragon Plus) that's partially owned by a competitor (Microsoft).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 12:55:30 AM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 11, 2012, 01:19:30 AM »
Nintendo used Brownie Brown to help make Mario 3D Land? Source?

Is Brownie Brown owned by Nintendo? Because they helped develop quite a few 3rd-party games for the GBA and DS, including Heroes / Sword of Mana and Blue Dragon Plus (the latter series is ironically owned by Microsoft & Mistwalker). It would be very odd of Nintendo to loan one of their own studios to help make a game (Blue Dragon Plus) that's partially owned by a competitor (Microsoft).

http://mariocars.com/how-super-mario-survived-the-quake/

Nintendo typically didn’t do many outsourcing on a Mario games. But Super Mario 3D Land was on a rather parsimonious growth schedule; there was a charge to get it on shelves for a all-important holiday deteriorate to boost a sales of a Nintendo 3DS. One of a outward teams enlisted to get it finished was Brownie Brown, a Nintendo auxiliary also located in Tokyo. This was their initial outing over to a Mario team’s office.

And yes Brownie Brown is a Nintendo first party studio.  As I've said before, Nintendo has no problem letting some of their studio's develop games for third party developers, as long as those games appear on a Nintendo system.  Other Nintendo studio's that have done this besides Brownie Brown, would be Monolith Soft who made are Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier and Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans on the DS for Namco, and are also making the upcoming Project X Zone on the 3DS for Namco as well.  There's also Genius Sonority who helped make Dragon Quest Swords for the Wii, and Paon who made the Klonoa remake for the Wii as well.