Author Topic: Predict which Wii U games will be considered timeless classics in the future  (Read 10535 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Thought on Splatoon - I could see a definitive edition coming out before the Wii U EoL - including all the patches and DLC.  Throw a LAN mode in and you've got another must-have pickup for the system.

Hell, give us Smash U with a LAN mode...
...Do we still live in a world where LAN modes are relevant?
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
They put one in Pokken...
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile

True, but can I ask what it would add for Smash 4? Genuine question, since it already supports 8 players? Plus the tournament people who wish to play with wired controllers can all bring GameCube pads and just hook up 2 of those GC adapters. What benefit of LAN am I missing that isn't already covered?

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile

True, but can I ask what it would add for Smash 4? Genuine question, since it already supports 8 players? Plus the tournament people who wish to play with wired controllers can all bring GameCube pads and just hook up 2 of those GC adapters. What benefit of LAN am I missing that isn't already covered?

Life beyond the official servers going down. There will come a time when you will no longer be able to log into Wii U and play Smash U online. That day will come. There will be unofficial servers out there via the hacking community of course but for tournaments LAN is better anyways with everyone in the same room and all.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Life beyond the official servers going down. There will come a time when you will no longer be able to log into Wii U and play Smash U online. That day will come. There will be unofficial servers out there via the hacking community of course but for tournaments LAN is better anyways with everyone in the same room and all.

Huh okay, thanks for explaining! Not something most players would care about surely, but nice to have for those that do. Guess this might be dumb but I figured in tournaments they would just set up a few machines and use the local multiplayer mode entirely. Kinda like you would back in the N64/GameCube days.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
There is no use case for a LAN setup in terms of Smash since all of the online features are available locally. Ideally a tournament would use a single setup as it reduces latency and the amount of things that could go wrong. Some games require a LAN for tournaments because you need your own screen, but Smash is not one of them.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
It's tough for me to imagine any Wii U game being remembered, though that's probably just because I won't still be playing anything on the system once it's no longer current. Heck, I can't even remember what games I own for it.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I have been pretty adamant in saying that I've loved a fair bit of the Wii U library, but I do acknowledge that few of the games could be considered classic or definitive in any way. If Zelda wasn't some bastardized NX lovechild, it could have been a definitive "classic" for the system, but they shot themselves in the foot with that development cycle. Hyrule Warriors, while successfully adapting Zelda elements into the Musou gameplay, is a poor imitation of a Zelda title, but also sadly the closest thing to an exclusive Zelda title the Wii U has- and even then, there's a handheld version with MORE CONTENT.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Pikmin 3 and Mario Kart 8 are pretty damn good.  They both make pretty good editions to their series. I think Splatoon was a hit with everyone and it proved to Nintendo that they should take more risks.

Also, Shyguy if you read this how would you compare Nintendo theme town for Minecraft to Rosenshroom City?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Oh, I believe MK8 has some of the best tracks in the entire series- yes, that includes retro selections, but the sheer absurdity of the F-ZERO and Legend of Zelda stuff is great too.

And Pikmin 3 is the best Pikmin game. Suck it, Pikmin 2.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
I think Funky Barn has a good chance.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Splatoon is basically my favourite game of all time, so I will say that. Also, 3D World is my favourite Mario game, so I will say that too.

Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD are definitely classics. I think I would also have to include Mario Kart 8, Xenoblade X and Yoshi's Wooly World.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Yeah, LAN wouldn't be a big plus for Smash - but it would for Splatoon.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.