Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3164649 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #5350 on: January 05, 2010, 04:01:13 AM »
Honestly, considering how successful the FF and Dragon Quest remakes along with DQ9 are doing on DS I wouldn't be surprised if we see it on either DS or Wii. I'll bet if DQX does really well on Wii FF7 will join it (assuming DQX comes out soon enough to affect the decision).
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: January 05, 2010, 04:09:03 AM »
Besides, all that hate is better spent on FFVII.

I wasn't really intending to diss XIII; I was just commenting on what somebody said recently:  that the dev costs were so high that it has to do significantly better than previous releases to make a profit (so merely performing "in line" isn't enough).

However now that you mention it, I will say that the XIII demos in stores make it look like it has all the worst attributes of recent FF games -- annoying cardboard characters, a slightly embarrassing infatuation with trendy teen styles, painful, cringe-inducing melodrama, creaky-ass battles, an emphasis on endless [cringe-inducing] cut-scenes...

Maybe it's actually a great game, but the demos provide zero indication of that.

You do have a point though -- the era of horrible FF games started with VII, and it didn't even have good graphics!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: January 05, 2010, 04:16:43 AM »
I think the hate is all the Nintendo fans secretly hopping the mainline FF games make a return to Nintendo systems.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: January 05, 2010, 04:26:16 AM »
Starting with a FFVII Wiimake.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: January 05, 2010, 04:43:32 AM »
I think I'd rather see a jRPG where the gameplay is fun, not an obstacle in the way of a poorly told story.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5355 on: January 05, 2010, 05:20:05 AM »
I've never played it, but a FFVII wiimake would shut the internet down for the day due to all the tears shed on the electrical equipment.

It's not about the game, it's about the reaction to the game announcement.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: January 05, 2010, 05:46:18 AM »

However now that you mention it, I will say that the XIII demos in stores make it look like it has all the worst attributes of recent FF games -- annoying cardboard characters, a slightly embarrassing infatuation with trendy teen styles, painful, cringe-inducing melodrama, creaky-ass battles, an emphasis on endless [cringe-inducing] cut-scenes...

Maybe it's actually a great game, but the demos provide zero indication of that.

Hate to break it too you but according to people who've played the recent Japanese release, the final game is like that as well.  According to a number of impressions, the game is literally a straight line where you go from one cut scene to the other.  There's no exploration, the storyline is pretty bad and the world is dull and lifeless. 

From everything I've read, FFXIII is pretty much FFX with better graphics, a worse storyline and 10 times more linear.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: January 05, 2010, 12:21:47 PM »
Starting with a FFVII Wiimake.
I don't want my favorite console to be disgraced with petrid over-rated ****.

Just give me a Final Fantasy VI Wiimake and I would be pleased.

Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: January 05, 2010, 12:58:14 PM »
Nice legs you got there Final Fantasy XIII. Hope you can reach your quota to pay for that big budget you have.

It will help them make the quota if they port the game over to the Wii and/or DS.
is your sanity...

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: January 05, 2010, 03:40:11 PM »
There was enough melodrama in Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days to fill my need. God forbid my DS have more melodrama then it can handle.

That includes the often-rumored Mushroom Kingdom Hearts. I DO NOT WANT THIS GAME TO BE A REALITY.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: January 05, 2010, 03:52:47 PM »
Hate to break it too you but according to people who've played the recent Japanese release, the final game is like that as well.  According to a number of impressions, the game is literally a straight line where you go from one cut scene to the other.  There's no exploration, the storyline is pretty bad and the world is dull and lifeless. 

I've heard it opens up considerably after the 6 hour mark.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
3 Million Wiis sold in Dec. / 10 Million DS' sold in 2009
« Reply #5361 on: January 05, 2010, 04:01:24 PM »
Nintendo: 3 million Wiis sold in December
Nintendo Announces Healthy Holiday Sales Figures – estimated 3 million Wiis sold in December and more
January 5th, 2010 Posted in DS, News, Wii, Written by Valay

Nintendo Announces Healthy Holiday Sales Figures

As everyone looks ahead to the possibilities in store for 2010, Nintendo of America is looking to extend the glow of the holidays with some fresh December sales information. The following items were announced by Nintendo President Satoru Iwata in Japan:

* Although official U.S. sales data for December and all of 2009 will be announced by the NPD Group on Jan. 14, it appears that U.S. consumers responded enthusiastically to Nintendo’s Wii™ home console in December. Nintendo estimates that December sales in the United States will exceed 3 million units.
    * Nintendo estimates that the portable Nintendo DS™ lineup, including the Nintendo DSi™ video game system, set a new all-time calendar-year U.S. sales record for any console or hand-held system.
    * Nintendo software also continued to perform well. Although the NPD Group will provide the full sales numbers for each game, Nintendo estimates that lifetime U.S. sales of New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii are approaching 4 million. The game, which is the first Super Mario Bros. game to include simultaneous four-player action, launched in the United States on Nov. 15.

“The millions of people who bought Nintendo hardware during the holidays can look forward to enjoying great games on those systems now and in the future,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks for Nintendo DS, and Wii Fit Plus and New Super Mario Bros. Wii are all currently providing Nintendo fans with amazing experiences and fun adventures for the whole family.”

Alternate Source: Nintendo has record breaking December
KYOTO, Japan, Jan 5 (Reuters) - Japan’s Nintendo Co Ltd said salesof its Wii video game console in the United States hit a record high inDecember, countering market worries that momentum for the three-yearold machine had peaked.
Nintendo said sales of the Wii, which outsells Sony Corp’sPlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp’s Xbox 360, had recovered from aslowdown earlier last year thanks to a series of strong new game titlessuch as “New Super Mario Bros. Wii” action game, and a hardware pricecut.
Nintendo cut the Wii price by 20 percent in the second half of last year.
“It’s a combination of factors. Towards December, our softwarelineup got stronger. Also, the price cut certainly helped, although itis not the sole factor,” Nintendo President Satoru Iwata told Reutersin an interview on Tuesday.
Nintendo sold more than 3 million units of the Wii in the UnitedStates in December 2009, up sharply from 2.14 million units a yearearlier.
On the handheld side, Nintendo’s DS sales in the United Stateslikely exceeded 10 million units in 2009, topping the previous recordof 9.96 million posted in 2008, Iwata said.
Before Iwata’s comments, shares in Nintendo closed up 1.4 percent at22,930 yen, outperforming the Nikkei average, which rose 0.3 percent.

Official PR: http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=21708
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 05:58:27 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
DS and Wii shatter Euro records
« Reply #5362 on: January 05, 2010, 04:11:19 PM »
Portable becomes continent’s best-ever selling machine; Wii hits 20m sales in record time

Nintendo has ushered in the new decade by clinching two hardware sales records – the best ever selling machine in Europe and the fastest console to 20m sales.

The first record is claimed by the DS, which via its various guises (the DS, DS Lite and DSi) has now sold a total of 40m units in Europe – making it the best selling games console the region has ever seen.

In addition, the Wii’s race to 20m unit sales in just over three years makes it the fastest selling console to reach the milestone in the territory.

The platform holder has also released some other snippets of sales data. Recent release Wii Sports Resort, which is one of the first pieces of software to make use of the Motion Plus accessory, has now sold 5m copies in Europe since its arrival in July.

The Wii Fit series has now sold 9.6m units, meaning that nearly half of all owners of Nintendo’s console own either the first or second release in the franchise.

Finally, New Super Mario Bros Wii has passed 2.5m sales since its release in November.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5363 on: January 05, 2010, 04:13:48 PM »

It took me 6 hours to beat the first 3 dungeons and get the Master Sword in Ocarina of Time for the first time when I was a young Pro so many years ago.  There's a lot of STUFF in those 6 hours.

FF THURTEAN just doesn't cut it.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5364 on: January 05, 2010, 04:19:08 PM »
Nintendo: 3 million Wiis sold in December
Nintendo Announces Healthy Holiday Sales Figures – estimated 3 million Wiis sold in December and more
January 5th, 2010 Posted in DS, News, Wii, Written by Valay

Nintendo Announces Healthy Holiday Sales Figures

As everyone looks ahead to the possibilities in store for 2010, Nintendo of America is looking to extend the glow of the holidays with some fresh December sales information. The following items were announced by Nintendo President Satoru Iwata in Japan:

* Although official U.S. sales data for December and all of 2009 will be announced by the NPD Group on Jan. 14, it appears that U.S. consumers responded enthusiastically to Nintendo’s Wii™ home console in December. Nintendo estimates that December sales in the United States will exceed 3 million units.
    * Nintendo estimates that the portable Nintendo DS™ lineup, including the Nintendo DSi™ video game system, set a new all-time calendar-year U.S. sales record for any console or hand-held system.
    * Nintendo software also continued to perform well. Although the NPD Group will provide the full sales numbers for each game, Nintendo estimates that lifetime U.S. sales of New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii are approaching 4 million. The game, which is the first Super Mario Bros. game to include simultaneous four-player action, launched in the United States on Nov. 15.

“The millions of people who bought Nintendo hardware during the holidays can look forward to enjoying great games on those systems now and in the future,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks for Nintendo DS, and Wii Fit Plus and New Super Mario Bros. Wii are all currently providing Nintendo fans with amazing experiences and fun adventures for the whole family.”

Alternate Source: Nintendo has record breaking December
KYOTO, Japan, Jan 5 (Reuters) - Japan’s Nintendo Co Ltd said salesof its Wii video game console in the United States hit a record high inDecember, countering market worries that momentum for the three-yearold machine had peaked.
Nintendo said sales of the Wii, which outsells Sony Corp’sPlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp’s Xbox 360, had recovered from aslowdown earlier last year thanks to a series of strong new game titlessuch as “New Super Mario Bros. Wii” action game, and a hardware pricecut.
Nintendo cut the Wii price by 20 percent in the second half of last year.
“It’s a combination of factors. Towards December, our softwarelineup got stronger. Also, the price cut certainly helped, although itis not the sole factor,” Nintendo President Satoru Iwata told Reutersin an interview on Tuesday.
Nintendo sold more than 3 million units of the Wii in the UnitedStates in December 2009, up sharply from 2.14 million units a yearearlier.
On the handheld side, Nintendo’s DS sales in the United Stateslikely exceeded 10 million units in 2009, topping the previous recordof 9.96 million posted in 2008, Iwata said.
Before Iwata’s comments, shares in Nintendo closed up 1.4 percent at22,930 yen, outperforming the Nikkei average, which rose 0.3 percent.

Portable becomes continent’s best-ever selling machine; Wii hits 20m sales in record time

Nintendo has ushered in the new decade by clinching two hardware sales records – the best ever selling machine in Europe and the fastest console to 20m sales.

The first record is claimed by the DS, which via its various guises (the DS, DS Lite and DSi) has now sold a total of 40m units in Europe – making it the best selling games console the region has ever seen.

In addition, the Wii’s race to 20m unit sales in just over three years makes it the fastest selling console to reach the milestone in the territory.

The platform holder has also released some other snippets of sales data. Recent release Wii Sports Resort, which is one of the first pieces of software to make use of the Motion Plus accessory, has now sold 5m copies in Europe since its arrival in July.

The Wii Fit series has now sold 9.6m units, meaning that nearly half of all owners of Nintendo’s console own either the first or second release in the franchise.

Finally, New Super Mario Bros Wii has passed 2.5m sales since its release in November.

MEGATON?!

Seeryisly, the Call of What2 vs. Mario bet is a big 'so what.'  New Modern Bros. Woo is approaching 9 MILLION UNITS SOLD.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: January 05, 2010, 04:28:30 PM »
And here is the official PR too
http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=21708

same as the first quote i posted

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: January 05, 2010, 05:49:25 PM »
I was saving this for when the story makes it to the front page and then over to talkback
but since we have no idea when that will be....

NINTENDO BLOWS UP DECEMBER SALES RECORDS IN THE US AND EUROPE!!!

MEGATON?!

Seeryisly, the Call of What2 vs. Mario bet is a big 'so what.'  New Modern Bros. Woo is approaching 9 MILLION UNITS SOLD.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5367 on: January 05, 2010, 06:18:55 PM »
HD is a fad.

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: January 05, 2010, 10:03:30 PM »

Meaning what?  [I guess that it becomes less of a linear sequence of cut-scenes.]

What about the cardboard characters, the "dull and lifeless" world, the cringe-inducing story, etc...?

Does anyone have a pointer to a decent (non-fanboy) review?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5369 on: January 05, 2010, 11:05:39 PM »
I think you get to choose which cutscene to watch first.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5370 on: January 05, 2010, 11:36:15 PM »
Melodrama is always better when chosen.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: January 06, 2010, 01:19:36 AM »
So has the DS become the greatest selling system of all time yet? How long will it be for that to occur?
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: January 06, 2010, 01:57:29 AM »
1 more year of sales like last and it should be there.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: January 06, 2010, 02:33:04 AM »
Goodness gracious. If that PR is true then Nintendo did a BANG-UP job this December, and it looks like Reggie will get to take another name!

... if not, they'll have set themselves up for a bit of a letdown. But Nintendo also generally tracks their own sales internally very well, so I'm hoping the NPD numbers reflect their estimates.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: January 06, 2010, 02:38:33 AM »
I'm pretty sure the numbers are accurate. The only company you can't trust is Sony, and that's because they count the units they've SHIPPED instead of units actually sold, and from what I understand they also count broken systems that they've repaired as a sale too. So they suck...

But this is Nintendo and they don't pull that crap, so I'm sure this is the real deal.
is your sanity...