Author Topic: First Mario 128 Shots?  (Read 4594 times)

Offline g-tron3000

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
First Mario 128 Shots?
« on: March 05, 2005, 09:17:08 AM »
I ran across these pictures and I thought they looked interesting.  And when I mean interesting, I mean legit. =)

If you follow the link below, you'll see two sets of pictures.  One set is grainy... obviously not directly lifted from a game.  The second is a bunch of crisp Mario-style hills.  

The first (grainy) set is the only one that looks real to me.  It looks as if someone took some pictures during a Nintendo presentation.  The screenshots look very much along the style of Mario Sunshine, but of some areas that I've never seen before and with a slight difference in the interface (a star or flower in a pocket at the bottom right hand of the screen).  They don't reveal a whole lot, except that we see Luigi, but it's still interesting.  Unless it's an area that I haven't seen of something that has already been released, I would believe these were real.  

I really doubt the second ones are real, though.  They don't really seem to be in the Nintendo style.  The colors are a bit off and the hills look plastic-y.  They'd be pretty easy to fake for anyone with some 3-D modelling software.

Total Video Games- Mario 128 Screenshots?
Visit my website at http://www.galgas.com!  Or visit my http://g-tron3000.deviantart.com!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: First Mario 128 Shots?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 10:17:55 AM »
It looks like a legitimate demo.  But I'm not jumping all over it since Reggie's not in the crowd, therefore totally lacking fist.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 10:31:48 AM »
The two styles are completely different.

The first set, though?  They certainly look real, but I'm going to go ahead and doubt that they are simply because I haven't heard about anything else regarding this.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 04:07:31 PM »
fake

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 07:19:30 PM »
Yeah until some sort of offical comfirmation. You should consider that most screen on the internet are fakes.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 08:23:07 PM »
Mario looks like he's taking a wiz in the second shot.  Or he looks like he's using the waterpack with the waterpack removed.  It look unnatural and sloppy so it's fake.

Plus if this was real and was shown at a real trade show thingy don't you think PGC would have known about it?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 09:08:59 PM »
The lower set of screenies are definitely renders. The lighting, bumpmaps and shadows look like something you could only get with a render or an enine comparable to Doom 3. The light setup looks more like a render, though, three point lighting setups are rare in games. The sun is also too low for an outside area. I doubt EAD would do that.
The water in the last pic looks too bad to be by the makers of Super Mario Sunshine.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 12:09:14 AM »
The most recent pics are fakes...easily photoshops.  If you look at the coin logo in the top right corner of the one screen, you will see that the black outline is very fuzzy and blurred.  Whereas in the same pic in the bottom right, the star logo with the pipe has a very sharp crisp black outline.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 04:50:35 AM »
Not to mention they have an entire article explaining that its all fake.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 05:46:38 AM »
The most obvious is that Luigi is the same model as Mario, check the moustache.

Offline g-tron3000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 02:40:14 PM »
I can't say they are definately real, but for as many "it's fake!"'s as I've gotten, I haven't found a good rebuttal yet.

As for the dark outlines... That raised my suspicion at first as well... but it very easily could be an artifact of being a digital photo... ESPECIALLY if that photo was taken under less than excellent circumstances.  It's very possible that the screen was dark and that the levels were changed in the photo.  Since digital cameras don't always have the greatest of gamut ranges in the darks, the darkest darks could all be blown out to complete black...or it may be some other artifact of digital photography.  It doesn't necessarily prove that it was cut and paste.

As for the same models and moustache for Mario and Luigi... how the heck can you even tell?  They're so small to begin with!

As for the article "explaining that its all fake"... look at the date of the article.  It was posted in January.  It's referring to the second set of screenshots, which I've already said were fake.  I mean, those ones are obvious.
Visit my website at http://www.galgas.com!  Or visit my http://g-tron3000.deviantart.com!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 03:14:22 PM »
Luigi's model is noticeably different than Mario's.  Luigi's face seems longer, and the bottom of his mustache is smooth, unlike Mario's which was "bumpy" in Mario Sunshine.

I DON'T KNOW GEEZ
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
RE:First Mario 128 Shots?
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 02:05:59 AM »
Does everyone need to reinforce that they are actually fake? Isnt it obvious, given that the look like crap, and Mario 128 cant be crap.
LZ 2005

Offline chain chomp

• Voted BEST by Pietriots
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 05:39:13 AM »
lol you posted this in the gamespo threads to
wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 02:38:23 PM »

Originally posted by: Hemmorrhoid
Does everyone need to reinforce that they are actually fake? Isnt it obvious, given that the look like crap, and Mario 128 cant be crap.

it looks at least as good as Mario Sunshine and if this is real, then its a really early version of the game. Remember how sunshine looked like when the first screens were shown? It looked horrible as well. This is slightly better.

Still, I dont think that it's real.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2005, 10:33:45 PM »
To me it looks like a screen from Super Mario Sunshine, the environment look so similar, I wouldnt be surprised if this is a photoshopped SMS screen.
And anyway, why would the revolutionary Mario 128 look so much like Sunshine, which obviously wasnt revolutionary???
LZ 2005

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2005, 11:17:17 PM »
THEY ARE FAKE! get over it.