Author Topic: Sonic & The Black Knight  (Read 33145 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Sonic & The Black Knight
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2009, 12:10:55 PM »
Well, after playing Black Knight for about two-three hours, the jumping is ALOT better and Sonic doesn't keep running. You push the control stick forward to move. It makes the game flow alot better then it did in Secret Rings.

Looks like someone in Sega/Sonic Team listened to the reviews this time. It's way better then Unleashed. Way to go, Secret Rings team!

This sparks some curiousity.  You think Sega will be listening to Matt's review now?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2009, 12:27:21 PM »
Then Sega will release another Sonic Unleashed. We don't need that.

Ever.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2009, 12:10:05 AM »
But if you decide to follow all of the missions, get all of the items, participate in the online leader boards and such it will last you a while.

This.

Its going to take time to get perfect ratings because Sonic's skill level won't be up to par the first time around, as well as yours. But once you/Sonic step the game up...

After progressing a little further. I like the level lengths/variety. It doesn't overstay its welcome. There are some levels where you'll have to give rings to NPC's, though you'll have to engage in some QTE's a la Shenmue/Resident Evil 4/Dragons Lair (For you old timers) in order to give it to them. This means you'll have to watch your ring count as well as your blood lust. Of course, giving more than enough rings is recommended.

Rampage is where you exercise said blood lust. Defeat X amount of enemies before the levels over. If you're doing it right, it'll be Sonic zipping through enemies like no one's business.

There's another mission variety where it says save the townspeople, but I didn't notice anything special. I've only played one level of this type however. Just don't kill them I guess?

The boss battles I've faced are relatively straight forward. You have to put your sword skills to the test, as just waggling for waggling's sake won't 'cut' it. You get 100 rings from the beginning, giving you a forgiving 5 hits. Though you'll be striving never to get hit 8)

Some items you get at the end serve more than just looking pretty. Some will help in various ways like making identifying certain items cost less (Later levels will have some instances where there are more items than ID points), give you 5 rings if you die instead of 0, etc. You equip them when you visit Tail's blacksmith shop before entering a level.

The one thing I haven't tried is the battle mode, due to lack of people, so if anyone's tried it out and gives us a head's up, that will be great... [/office space]
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2009, 01:29:27 AM »
Additional comments:

- The soundtrack sounds like Wave Race: Blue Storm, but good.

- For people with HDTVs, I recommend going into the Options menu and turning off the screen filter (default: a softener/blur/smoother like in Brawl/Melee) to get some sharpness back in the picture.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 06, 2009, 03:02:36 PM »
Ok im getting interested again. I know you play as other characters in multiplayer, but can someone please tell me if Tails is unlockable in single player? maybe PM is the spoiler is too much?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2009, 01:40:54 PM »
The infamous Go Hobo RMC finally got around to playing Black Knight.

The reason this review is important is because ever since the game was announced till just recently he has been bashing and whining, proclaiming that it will suck and criticized it for not being "a true Sonic game". It got so bad that fans actually called him out and somewhat forced him to stay quiet whenever he posted some videos and screenshots (he kept making annoying remarks at every opportunity).

Here's his review:
http://gonintendo.com/?p=75259

He says he liked it, but still felt forced and either didn't want to fully admit that the game is good or he tried hard to justify his claims, saying it isn't a true Sonic game. And somehow, he forgets Secret Rings, a title he said he liked and had fun with.

Really, its like Secret Rings ever existed, despite it being a big hit on the Wii and a great example of how things can be done.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2009, 12:47:30 AM »
I have avoided all reviews of this game, favorable and unfavorable alike. I don't my nerves to be shot... :'(

I got the other playing styles, and I'm having a blast. If you'll allow a Captain Obvious moment, I'm digging going through the goal levels with the speedy style (which does smoothen left/right movement after some leveling up) and busting heads with the heavy style in Rampage/boss battles.

Sadly, in my rush to beat the game I'm trying to beat the last boss, without much success. Any tips that will bring Mr.Black Knight down to size?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2009, 12:42:05 PM »
You have to attack the fire balls that sends towards you. When your Soul Gauge is filled up, avoid his attacks and get close to him. Jump, hold B, and you will do what I call Waggle Timing.

The trick is to waggle when the Wiimote icon appears. After five to six successful hits, you can stun him and whack the living **** out of him. Round Two is harder because his attacks are far more screen filling and the timing in the stun battle is different from the first. Two whack-the-****-outta-him moments will bring him down.

However, it's not the final boss. I think the true Final Boss appears if you beat all the missions. Also, there is a supposed legacy mode in the game. Replaces the Underworld enemeies with Eggman robots. So I heard.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #158 on: March 13, 2009, 03:55:30 PM »
I'm tickled that reviewers and Sonic fans bash the game saying it's "not very Sonic."

That's when you know it's a great product.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2009, 10:19:35 PM »
While I tend to ignore reviews and place more faith on user reviews and impression it is disappointing that Black Knight is getting so many bad reviews. From all I've seen and heard the game is a MUCH needed improvement on Secret Rings and its the best Sonic product yet. Yet, its hard to believe that reviewers would now give "Unleashed" more credit and deem BK as the worst game yet.

Hopefully, sales and user reviews will prove them wrong.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2009, 01:11:44 AM »
Black Knight is the new Mario Kart Wii

Unleashed is the new Mario Kart Double Dash!! (an overnight non-casual classic in comparison)

=D

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2009, 08:05:01 PM »
Black Knight is the new Mario Kart Wii

Unleashed is the new Mario Kart Double Dash!! (an overnight non-casual classic in comparison)

=D

That seems to be the case. For a while now, "Unleashed" has been criticized for getting Sonic half right, but forcing players the Werehog stages. Now, Black Knight gets bashed to pieces and "Unleashed" is the better game.

I am going to try and dissect that logic...

The main similarity between "Unleashed" and "Black Knight" is that both try to implement battle into Sonic's gameplay. In "Unleashed" it is presented in the hog of Werehog Stages that take place at knight, while "Black Knight" implements it during the running stages. The big difference is how both affect gameplay.

The Werehog in "Unleashed" completely halts gameplay and forces you to play through them in order to move on. Each segment has three to four stages and before moving on you have to kill all of your enemies before moving on. It makes gameplay as chore as you can't play however you want and put up with the game's rules and restrictions.

Now in "Black Knight" the game lets you choose how you play the game. Yes, there can be gameplay stopping moments, but that's only if you want it to stop. Sonic and his weapon are customizable and affects the gameplay even more. And even if you do battle it stills faster, and you can easily opt to jump over enemies and move on. Long story short "Black Knight" lets you play as you want without any penalties or restrictions.

Not only that, the mission structure has been revamped, once again letting players choose how play the game (ie, complete all missions before moving to the final boss, or just sticking to story based missions). And it looks like the customizing features are deep and rewarding, right down to the option of trading items online.

So its amazing that people are so, so busy saying "this isn't a Sonic game!" they didn't take the time to truly compare games and bring out its best features.

Its so bad that it makes me wonder; what if a truly fantastic Sonic title is released? It plays great, has few gimmicks, graphics and sound are fantastic and it plays like classic Sonic. Will fans still be enamored with old Sonic that they will still complain? "Sonic Rush" was a great game and it still gets the cold shoulder from fans, so maybe there's something else at play...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2009, 09:44:12 PM »
Lol, just read Nintendojo and their 1up/Poison Mushroom was like this:

Good: Wii de Asobu
Bad: Sonic and the Dark Knight

Quote from: Pro Daisy
I'm tickled that reviewers and Sonic fans bash the game saying it's "not very Sonic."

That's when you know it's a great product.
So basically, the fans got as stupid as Unleashed itself?

That logic makes some sense. SOME sense.

I'm just shocked Sega didn't make a **** up. Black Knight deserves to sell well.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 15, 2009, 11:59:13 PM »
True Blue: Thanks for the tip. But appears my work isn't finished  ;)

"Sonic Rush" was a great game and it still gets the cold shoulder from fans, so maybe there's something else at play...

Sonic Rush is a FANTASTIC game. Granted its got some frustrating moments, but so did the original Genesis games, until you played it over and over till you do it in your sleep. Or have people forgotten that's how we did it back in the day?

I don't want to cry conspiracy here, but it seems an awful lot of the press want to flush this down the toilet.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2009, 01:30:45 PM »
So I haven't been advancing far into the game, cuz there's so many good games to play in addition to Sonic and the Good Gameplay, but I've been capturing a few videos of the intro stages and getting 5 stars on a few of them.

You realize that when you play with minimum mistakes, it looks good, feels good, and reminds me of good arcade racers (Kart, F-Zero).  I'll even compare it to Guitard Hero since you got a set amount of time and you're trying not to skip a [jump/waggle] beat.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 19, 2009, 11:54:45 AM »
Just in, Sonic Stadium doesn't get it either.

I'll be writing a review for this lovely (if not slightly flawed) game, just don't expect it anytime soon. (school work, ugh)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2009, 07:26:58 AM »
I was playing some of this game last night and I must say I was impressed. First and foremost, I was having fun. Secondly, it was a nice step up from Secret Rings which despite its flaws I still found moderately enjoyable. Third, while it doesn't feel like a "true" Sonic game, I don't think that really matters.

I'm definitely going to be playing more tonight so we'll see if my impression of it sours, but I'm doubting it.
Check out PixlBit!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2009, 04:18:24 AM »
>> Sonic and the Black Knight * 480p
CG intro
Story: Merlina's intro
Story: Merlina's Request
Story: The Sacred Sword Caliburn
Story: Search for the Lady of the Lake
Story: Lady of the Lake
Gameplay: Reach the Misty Lake
Gameplay: Retrieve the Sacred Sword
Gameplay: King Arthur
Gameplay: Soul Surge on the ground

* My host says the server will get some downtime starting this Tuesday and ending Friday.  The hardware is being relocated due to an infrastructure-wide flaw. Vista?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2009, 03:37:54 PM »
I got this yesterday and I'm not liking it that much. The combat isn't that much fun as the sword swinging does seem somewhat delayed. Soul gauge is cool, the game looks nice, soundtrack isn't terrible.

I'm just worried about length. I've put about 2-3 hours into it and I think I'm near the end, although I've heard that there's quite a bit more after it, so hopefully that's good.

Seems like there's some replay value though, so that's cool. Gotta round up some friends to try the multiplayer and this "legacy mode" seems like it might be awesome.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #169 on: April 18, 2009, 02:33:22 AM »
I got around to playing this again and I really like it.The visuals are beautiful.The music is nice.I've been running through Adventure mode and I have to beat Blaze The combat is nice. I haven't really been trying to get followers so I am a loyal page. I will probably get all of the followers before the final battle.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.