Author Topic: Pokemon Black and White  (Read 118865 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Next Gen Pokemon confirmed for DS
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 04:16:26 AM »
I'd like to see more exotic starter types as well like Bug or Psychic or Dark.

I was always intrigued by the Pikachu Yellow concept of having a unique starter that was your buddy and followed you throughout the game. Maybe have it so you can pick any one basic, un-evolved and non-legendary pokemon to be your starter from the entire list. Scyther is my favorite so I would love the chance to start with him from the get-go.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 10:41:14 AM »
Oh oh, more to tack onto the wishlist:
Starter trio are not Fire, Grass, or Water types
Less than 10% of new Pokemon are Water types

There needs to be more of certain types. Fire and Electric in peticular.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 12:37:57 AM »
I'd like to see more exotic starter types as well like Bug or Psychic or Dark.

I was always intrigued by the Pikachu Yellow concept of having a unique starter that was your buddy and followed you throughout the game. Maybe have it so you can pick any one basic, un-evolved and non-legendary pokemon to be your starter from the entire list. Scyther is my favorite so I would love the chance to start with him from the get-go.
I actually had an idea once for a Fighting/Dark/Psychic starter trio (their dual-types are Flying/Electric/Bug, respectively), but never had a full concept of what they would be like aside from the Fighting/Flying one: some kind of bird with axes coming off of it or something ANYWAYS

The issue with choosing your own starter is that Pokemon species have set Individual Values (IV) and stat potential; starter Pokemon are designed from the ground up to be your best buddy throughout the whole game, a staple for your Pokemon adventure. Obviously, Pikachu Yellow circumvented this by just hardcoding a special Pikachu just for the player, unable to replicate in the wilderness; some kind of special election system might be able to tweak your starter's IV and possibly its moveset to give it the benefits of being your best buddy. I imagine this might be scaled for certain Pokemon, such as Scyther, which have naturally high power to compensate for lack of evolutionary bonuses.
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 09:46:45 AM »
As cool as it would be a Dark/Psychic/Fighting trio would never work, you can't just have one of the types not work against another. And while having a secondary type may help, it's still not ideal.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 02:29:01 PM »
With your rival always picking the type advantage, would you ever bring out your own to counteract it? Aside from the introductory battle where all they know is Scratch anyways...

Another thing to tack onto the wishlist:
Convenient moneysink move list editing (even HM)

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 09:04:29 PM »
It'll probably support the extra Wi-fi channels and have an optional camera feature.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 11:18:47 PM »
With your rival always picking the type advantage, would you ever bring out your own to counteract it? Aside from the introductory battle where all they know is Scratch anyways...

The starters in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum actually become a Mexican standoff when they hit their final forms.

Torterra beats Infernape (Earthquake)
Infernape beats Empoleon (Close Combat)
Empoleon beats Torterra (Drill Peck)

Plus, Grass->Fire->Water is the easiest way to do the "Pokemon beats Pokemon" triangle for the new kids.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 11:46:12 PM »
The second is possible, I don't want the first to though. I think those 3 types should always be the starters.

RAB, I have no problem with legendaries, I just think there should be fewer. At most there should be 5 per gen (a legendary trio like Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres or Raikou/Entei/Suicune and a special stand-alone one like Celebi and Mewtwo).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 06:30:03 AM »
Generally, I think people don't like how "Throw-away" some of the legendaries have become, and I'm inclined to agree.  Latios and Latias are basically the same thing, in design, but initially, they were version exclusive.  Essentially, they're the point GameFreak decided to make one-time monsters version exclusive, which is just an annoying way to cheaply differentiate the versions in order to warrant buying the same game twice.

Beyond that, do you remember the legendary trio in DPPt?  Uxie, Mesprit, and that third one of whom I can't even recall the name.  The three of them had, again, the same basic design, and yes, while they did fight differently, having one Pokemon instead of three, or even having that one evolve to represent each one, would have been a lot less... redundant.  The stat/move pools of the other two could have been used in something like a Spoink evolution or an all-new, original Pokemon.

It's kind of the same reason why people want different starter types than normal:  We've got Pokemon that represent the old types, and there's so many new types, so I think most fans want to see progress.  The idea behind the DPPt trio actually fits into this, for once, their typing isn't a one-way triangle, instead, they each develop secondary typing such that the "SUPER-EFFECTIVE" arrows go both ways.

Also, people don't understand what the point is of something like Phione.  Why have Manaphy have a weaker offspring lacking some signature attacks, if said offspring can never evolve into Manaphy?  There's literally no reason, it's just excessive.  If Manaphy could bear something unique and self-sustaining in an egg, that would be one thing, but Phione is just an inferior Manaphy.

So really, I'd say most fans just want legendaries that fit into the game without being redundant of each other.  While some might argue that the bird and gerbil trio match this description, there were fewer general legendaries, initially, and in truth, their designs were much, much different from each other in comparison to what you currently see in the RSE and DPPt trios.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 02:01:53 PM »
Reading up on this stuff makes me want to get my GB Player back from my brother and start playing through Pokemon Ruby again.  That damn game came out like a week before Wind Waker so I shifted interest VERY quickly and never returned.  Now I'm thinking I should restart it and beat the game this time.

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 09:19:55 PM »
Reading up on this stuff makes me want to get my GB Player back from my brother and start playing through Pokemon Ruby again.  That damn game came out like a week before Wind Waker so I shifted interest VERY quickly and never returned.  Now I'm thinking I should restart it and beat the game this time.

If it makes you feel any better, I still haven't beaten Platinum. I made the mistake of trying for a "no-death" run in hopes of seeing an alternate final boss.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2010, 07:21:12 PM »
Well the first picture of a 5th Gen Pokemon is up at Serebii.net
It is a silhouette so all the details isn't there.  Full reveal should be next week.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2010, 12:46:32 AM »
I'm gonna guess it is a grass or water type.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2010, 01:48:18 PM »
Well the first picture of a 5th Gen Pokemon is up at Serebii.net
It is a silhouette so all the details isn't there.  Full reveal should be next week.
IT'S PIKACHU.

The rumors and speculation say it's Super Saiyan Mewtwo or a Lucario evolution. I personally thought of Ninetales first...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2010, 01:51:48 PM »
Either way, it looks like a coked-up Snork.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2010, 02:08:07 PM »
I think the best guess I've seen was on Pokebeach.  They're posing that it could be related to Mightyeana, as a were-wolf of some sort.

I thought Ninetales, too, at first.  My off-the-wall guess is actually a Hypno evolution, though, because it's possible it's the Pokemon "Z," where the title of the next movie is "Ruler of Illusion: Z."  That's a bit off-the-wall, though.

On a side note, realizing there's been a bit of a trend, I wouldn't be too surprised if the next grass starter were some kind of bird, considering Torchic and Piplup in the two games before it.  The typing wouldn't likely be flying, though.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2010, 11:08:04 AM »
Well on Serebii.net the Silhouette Pokemon has been revealed. Its name is Zoroark. It is a Dark type Pokemon. It has a preevolution. That pokemons name is Zorua. Both are Dark types.
Does someone want to post the picture that is on Serebii.net?

That would be nice of someone.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 12:03:12 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2010, 11:57:48 AM »

Looks cool. I like it! As long as I get my Primeape evolution, or some new moves that make him even better, I will be happy.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2010, 04:14:51 PM »
It's clearly a Dark-type, maybe Dark/Fire.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2010, 04:20:57 PM »
They are both Dark types. Much like Absol and Umbreon.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
Pokemon Black & White
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2010, 01:03:04 AM »
Pokemon Black & White will be the next generation of pokemon games. Back to basic colors I see. Corocoro should be revealing more soon by the 15th, as well as that odd pokemon show in japan.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/108/1082670p1.html

It's gotta be some kind of sign... i'm black and white... this is going to be a rebirth in pokemon, man my year of the tiger is already kicking off great! Primeape is going to evolve for sure!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:09:04 AM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Pokemon Black and White
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2010, 01:08:20 AM »
Well this is nice. Can't wait till the 15th.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2010, 01:11:11 AM »
Quote from: IGN
In addition to the names, Nintendo provided a time frame for the Japanese releases. Previously scheduled for some time in 2010, the games are now set for a more specific Fall 2010.

Sounds like a 3DS launch title to me ;)

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2010, 01:15:21 AM »
In addition to the names, Nintendo provided a time frame for the Japanese releases. Previously scheduled for some time in 2010, the games are now set for a more specific Fall 2010.

You know, I bet there will be exclusive 3DS features on the game to get the 3DS going.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2010, 01:23:18 AM »

You know, I bet there will be exclusive 3DS features on the game to get the 3DS going.

Now you're gonna cross the street just to stand on my lawn and then tell me how green it is!?