Author Topic: No more GC exclusives from Sega due to poor sales...  (Read 9427 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
No more GC exclusives from Sega due to poor sales...
« on: May 27, 2003, 02:28:16 AM »
An article posted on Cube-Europe suggests that there will be no more GC exclusives from Sega after Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg is released. And also, no Sonic Adventure 3.

http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=4599

Uh oh, spagetio's!

Offline Christberg

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 02:56:04 AM »
I suggest you go to www.eurogamer.net and read the whole interview this is taken from.  This is most likely a mistranslation and regardless, it's pulled out of context.  Yuji Naka <3's GC.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 02:56:51 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmm....I don't know how reliable this source is?  After all, it's Cube-Europe.

EDIT:  just read the Eurogamer interview.

Anyway, someone still needs to get a giant paddle, and whack some sense into SEGA!

*whack*
SEGA:  Ahhh, we can think clearly now!  Let's give Xbox more exclusive games!
*whack*  

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 03:30:37 AM »
I find that very hard to believe, since their bestselling games are the ones that have been featured on the Cube (Sonic Adv. 2, Super Monkey Ball) and Sonic Team and AV have both stated they prefer the Cube platform to work on.

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 05:04:44 AM »
I feel like this is a mistranslation as well. Even if the PS2 has had more sales unit wise, the GC has been very PROFITABLE for Sega since we have mainly recieved Dreamcast/Naomi ports that take up few resources, as opposed to something like Panzer Dragoon Orta which has sadly been ignored. That probably hurt Sega real hard since it was a big budget game that was essentially built from the ground up for the X-box.

I'm interested to see how Sonic Heroes will do on the other systems. Don't quote me on this, but I truly think Sega will be the happiest with the GC sales on that title. A multiplatform strategy can't  be applied to everything, just as exclusives that are not placed in a strategic manner can also hurt you. I don't know why it is taking so long for Sega to figure this out.  

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
RE: No more GC exclusives from Sega due to poor sales...
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 06:31:51 AM »
It's not Sega as a whole.  It's probably just Sonic Team.  AV is firmly in our court.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 06:49:07 AM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
It's not Sega as a whole.  It's probably just Sonic Team.  AV is firmly in our court.

But what game of Sonic Team's "tanked" on the GCN?

Did Phantasy Star Online do horrible or something? Or are they refering to the Sports games still, which weren't done by the Sonic Team?

Either way Sega has the most backwards logic I have ever seen... -_-
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 07:21:36 AM »
You know if you really think of it Sonic Team hasn't given us ANY exclusive games thus far.  All of their Cube titles are Dreamcast ports. Billy Hatcher will be the first true exclusive title.

Where in the Eurogamer interview does it say no more GC exclusives.  Naka just said "We think multi-platform is the way to go." in response to a question regarding exclusive PS2 or Xbox games.  That doesn't necessarily mean no more exclusive Cube titles.  He probably means that any PS2 or Xbox Sonic Team titles will be multiplatform.

This no Sonic Adventure 3 stuff is pretty dumb.  Sonic Heroes essentially is SA3.  Complaining about no SA3 is as dumb as complaining about no Super Mario Bros 4.  

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2003, 08:17:48 AM »
Sega just loves cold hard $$$.... Gunvalkarie.... Jet Set Radio future... Sega GT 200.... Cracy Taxi 3... all big time X-Box exclusives and none of them sold well enough to make money....  The best selling games for Sega in 02 were Super Monkey Ball,  Sonic Adventure 2 Batle and VF4.  But again Microsoft has the $$$ so Sega just blames us instead.. Of course the Bundle deal actually did sell well, Sega just didnt get a huge bulk of those profits either

ill be genuinely disapointed if Sega doesnt give us exclusives. I was looking forward for an exclusive Nights sequel or at least Skies of Arcadia 2.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2003, 09:11:20 AM »
i loved dreamcast...but apparently it doesn't count. Thats why dc games like evolution and sonic can be exclusive.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2003, 11:03:10 AM »
It's got to be a mistranslation. It was probably intended to just refer to the sports titles and not all games in general. Sega's best selling game since going multi-platform is Gamecube exclusive afterall. Sure, a few of Sega's Gamecubes titles have under-performed but, as as far as I know, ALL of its XBox titles have.
I could maybe see Sega stop giving exclusives to both the XBox and PS2 and start making all of its games multiplatform though. Actually, that would probably be the smart thing to do. But Sega tends to not do smart things.

BTW, isn't Cube-Europe the site that once reported Rare had gone third-party and was moving Starfox Adventures to the PS2?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2003, 12:48:17 PM »
Cube-Europe has been pretty unreliable as of late, so I'm inclined not to believe them. Besides, Sega's best selling 3rd party game so far was a Gamecube exclusive- their REAL poor selling exclusives have been on the XBox, and yet they give the XBox MORE games.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2003, 12:57:15 PM »
Sega needs to be like George Costanza...if they start doing the opposite of of their instincts, what they think is good business they will suddenly be very successful.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2003, 12:59:14 PM »
No more exclusives doesn't worry me one bit. As long as GC continues to get the games!

Offline Joey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2003, 07:44:46 PM »

BTW, isn't Cube-Europe the site that once reported Rare had gone third-party and was moving Starfox Adventures to the PS2?

I don't recall if it was the PS2 or not but they did say that it was moving.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2003, 03:44:29 AM »
IT's like Capcom not pulling out some GC games and supporting PS2 and Xbox more, even though their best sales were on GC.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2003, 06:39:57 AM »
How can they blame gamecube for poor sales when they've given us games like Sonic Adventure Battle 2 which was a piece of crap.  They should stop giving us ports and start making good games, well i'm mostly referring to the sonic series.  they've really let me down with the junk they've been turning out.
it was time for a change.

Offline Army_F_body

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2003, 09:18:53 AM »

How can they blame gamecube for poor sales when they've given us games like Sonic Adventure Battle 2 which was a piece of crap. They should stop giving us ports and start making good games...

Thank you!! I'm glad someone finally said it.  

Not just the Sonic Adveneture series but most 3rd party GC ports are pure crap.  Developers whine about poor GC sales and pull GC support becuase of declining sales.  GC owners are not buying 3rd party GC games because they tend to be crap.  I was looking forward to the GC port of Sonic Adventure, but if Sega is not going to address the poor camera issues that plagued the DC version, then why bother.  Those problems were acceptable back when I had a DC, due primarily to the fact that it was a 1st gen DC title.  However, here we are nearly in the middle of a more advanced systems life span and Sega still expects us to run out and buy this stuff.  I paid $19.99 for the DC Sonic Adventure.  To pay $39.99 for it again is an outrage if nothing is to be changed.  

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot, they added all the Game Gear Sonic games to it.  Let me run out pay WAY TOO MUCH for this game!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2003, 12:22:30 PM »
"How can they blame gamecube for poor sales when they've given us games like Sonic Adventure Battle 2 which was a piece of crap. They should stop giving us ports and start making good games..."

Of course SA2B was crap- your opinion must ring true for all of us, regardless of what we actually thought about the game. Besides, SA2B is Sega's bestselling game as a 3rd party yet, so it's not too smart to use it as an example.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2003, 12:51:27 PM »
Whether or not a game's crap does not really matter when it comes to sales.  Crap tends to sell on the PS2.  I guess the same is expected with the GCN.  

Not to mention the game isn't utter crap.  In fact, it was not that bad considering in my opinion.  More titles exist in the GCN's library that are clearly much worse than Sonic Adventure 2.  

Titles like Superman 64 should bomb.  But SA2 was nowhere near Superman's level.  Plus, SA2 did decent on the GCN.  

Lastly, do you really trust the word of Cube-Europe?
I got some killaz on my payroll.

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2003, 12:15:54 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
"How can they blame gamecube for poor sales when they've given us games like Sonic Adventure Battle 2 which was a piece of crap. They should stop giving us ports and start making good games..."

Of course SA2B was crap- your opinion must ring true for all of us, regardless of what we actually thought about the game. Besides, SA2B is Sega's bestselling game as a 3rd party yet, so it's not too smart to use it as an example.

Yeah it may have been their best-selling game but that's because it was their first sonic game for gamecube so for all of us nostalgists out there, we wanted it, also we had no warning, we didn't know how much it would suck.  However, I thought it would have been better than it was. And they still aren't planning on making a "new" sonic game, just crappy ports.
Crap does seem to sell well on the PS2, I don't know why.  Since I'm poor I have to be selective with what I buy, and I can guarantee that from my experience with SA2B, I probaly won't buy another sonic game for the cube anytime soon especially since they're all ports, and I'm sure most people feel the same.
it was time for a change.

Offline highenergyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2003, 01:20:40 PM »
Someone in a similar thread at the Nintendojo forums pointed out this statement was derived from an editorial, therefore it's credibility is put into question. I did not believe it to begin with because there are many contradictions. If there are no more exclusives for the Gamecube due to poor sales then tell me, what are Virtual Fighter Quest and F-Zero GX? F-Zero may be a Nintendo franchise, but it is still being made by Sega and is definitely exclusive. Virtual Figher Quest, when it was first announced was only confirmed to be in development for the Gamecube. No recent articles or rumors so far have suggested otherwise.

Furthermore, I recall reading an article when Triforce was first announced and it stated that Sega would be supplying a number of titles for the hardware. More then a year has elapsed and the only ones that have been confirmed are F-Zero AC and a soccer game. I doubt a couple of games are all Sega had in mind when entering into the agreement so there are bound to be more. Also considering they would be built solely for the Triforce hardware this would make porting pretty much impossible thus pratically sealing their exclusivity.

I see too many holes in this claim and disregard it as nothing more then speculation or even rumor.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2003, 04:02:11 PM »
"Yeah it may have been their best-selling game but that's because it was their first sonic game for gamecube so for all of us nostalgists out there, we wanted it, also we had no warning, we didn't know how much it would suck. However, I thought it would have been better than it was. And they still aren't planning on making a "new" sonic game, just crappy ports."

What the hell are you talking about? Sonic Adventure 2 was out for over a year on the Dreamcast, what do you mean you didn't have any warning? And yes they ARE making a new Sonic game- ever heard of Sonic Heroes?

And crappy ports is hardly the word to describe what we got- PORTS, yes, but if you thought the Genesis Sonics were crappy you're not really in a position to be telling other people which Sonic games are good and which aren't.

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2003, 12:17:12 PM »
If this was true, I seriously doubt the GCN would be getting Phantasy Star Online III.  Yet, we are.  

I think that this news has not been announced on any other site.  If this news was true, we'd be seeing it on IGN or PGC as well as Cube-Europe.  

I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Dr Synthetic

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2003, 10:53:07 PM »
Yeah, PSO Episode III is exclusive, too.  It won't be ported to Xbox, at least that was the word as of E3.
I'll show you a trick with ants...