Author Topic: Nintendo Free Radio Episode 3: If Only iTunes Supported VHS...  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
PETER! You didn’t tell them about…the RUMBLE PAK DID YOU?
http://nintendofreeradio.podbean.com/2012/08/30/nintendo-free-radio-episode-3-if-only-itunes-supported-vhs%E2%80%A6/
mp3 download
(AAC forthcoming)

Sadly, we were unable to secure VHS tapes to record for RSS subscribers, but we do have another massive-length episode of Nintendo Free Radio for you featuring Stephen; Austen; and Donald (what do you MEAN there used to be another guy?) rambling about their latest misadventures in the world of video gaming.

This time, Austen kicks off New Business bear-ly scratching the surface of Atlus/Arc System Work’s new fighting game: Persona 4 Arena, a home console game that un-bear-ably displays controller commands with Fight Stick inputs for some thread-bear reason.  Afterwards, it’s time to party like it’s 1985 with the PSN’s latest rhythm game, Retro/Grade, ending (appropriately enough) with initial impressions of the Wii’s swan song, Mistwalker’s The Last Story.  Have the creators of Final Fantasy finally created a JRPG without a terrible opening Act, or have they lost that odyssey?

Donald then steps up on stage to discuss pacing and Classic Controller Pro issues with Sega/NIS America’s Wii tactical/strategy/dating sim Sakura Wars: So Long My Love; his experience on the Terrain of Testament playing (we think?) the PlayStation 2’s Fire Pro Wrestling Returns; and his battle against Spiral Power in the PlayStation Portable Mini Sasume Tactics!

Switching things up, Stephen renders his verdict on the WayForward 3DS (and soon to be Wii U) puzzle platformer Mighty Switch Force.  Does the game do justice to Nintendo’s latest handheld, or should the developers have been booked for negligence?  Wrapping things up, Stephen then recounts how the pacing and analog stick controls aren’t such a snap in the Virtual Console’s Nintendo 64 Pokemon game, as well as the historical turn-based strategy game Civilization V on the PC.

Following New Business, we activate the interlocks and connect the Dyna-therms for another installment of What Are We Watching (cheesy 80s theme song optional).  Everything old is new again as Austen discusses his newest anime Blu Ray acquisitions in the wonderful The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and the bizarre (but well-constructed) first season of Shakugan no Shana. Meanwhile, Donald describes the culinary misadventures of Gordon Ramsay in MasterChef and Hotel Hell.  Finally, Ceric delivers a techno-babble double-whammy in Star Trek: Voyager and the Voltron: Defender of the Universe sequel series with an-already legendarily terrible opening theme: Voltron Force.

Afterwards in the Feature Discussion, with the final issue of Nintendo Power on the horizon the 3 of us sit around the camp fire and ramble for nearly an hour about our memories of the beloved magazine; our thoughts on the publication’s closure; and the future of Nintendo’s marketing in the Internet age. We then once again conclude the show with our “1Ups” and “Poison Mushrooms”, including such topics as the 2013 World Pokemon Championships in Vancouver; the surprisingly-strong year of downloadable titles (little did we know La-Mulana would get announced for North American WiiWare shortly thereafter); the industry’s frustrating practice of creating underwhelming countdown web sites; and…adventures in house cleaning and storage bins?

We’d love to hear your thoughts on this and past episodes, so feel free to drop us a comment in the Talkback thread or on our website. Be sure to send in your Listener Mail as well, and (time permitting) we’ll read and discuss it on an upcoming show!  You’re also welcome to talk with us and other fine (and often eccentric) folks over at the Nintendo World Report Forums!  Finally, now that we’re finally on iTunes, please don’t forget to rate us there.  We’ll see you in a few weeks, but until then we hope you enjoy the show!

This podcast was edited by Stephen Shook. Certain audio clips used for this episode are copyrighted to Nintendo of America and Nintendo Co., Ltd. This audio is included under Fair Use protection.

(Note: Apologies in advance for some audio trouble this week.)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
Re: Nintendo Free Radio Episode 3: If Only iTunes Supported VHS...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 10:27:27 PM »
Talk about fighting games for 10 minutes, ask "what's GGPO?" Cool story :brony

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 10:33:54 PM »
Talk about fighting games for 10 minutes, ask "what's GGPO?" Cool story :brony

My life is somehow complete without knowing the ins and outs of online multiplayer tech I rarely ever use.  :P
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 10:41:10 PM »
Let me back up and apologize for being snarky right off the bat and instead offer some constructive criticism. I feel like you guys are sometimes kind of spinning your wheels on certain topics by, say, not delving deep enough, or not having opposing views often enough. Invite some guests, especially if it's a real asshole like me :smug: .

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 10:46:40 PM »
Let me back up and apologize for being snarky right off the bat and instead offer some constructive criticism. I feel like you guys are sometimes kind of spinning your wheels on certain topics by, say, not delving deep enough, or not having opposing views often enough. Invite some guests, especially if it's a real asshole like me :smug: .

Your criticism is well-taken. I readily admit that I'm still trying to find my footing a bit here. I'm normally a writer, not a speaker, so I tend to lose my train of thought when talking. Well, I'll say this: we have a list of potential guests for when we have a good, consistent rhythm established, and you're on it so that could certainly happen. I'll make sure to invite you to a show where we're all discussing RPGs.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:16:50 PM by broodwars »

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 10:48:51 PM »
Hahah, that could be pretty entertaining if you like nonstop snark, because I don't play games "for girls"

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 10:53:09 PM »
There's good content in this episode even if the editing doesn't show the hours put into it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:14:46 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 03:49:15 AM »
Thanks to Ceric here putting in a lot of extra time; blood; sweat; and tears, we have an updated version of this episode up on the site that has rebalanced audio levels for a much more pleasant experience. Enjoy!  ;D