Author Topic: XBox's big game is Halo 2, what is GC big game of 2004?  (Read 12753 times)

Offline StarFoxFan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
XBox's big game is Halo 2, what is GC big game of 2004?
« on: May 03, 2003, 09:56:16 AM »
Im just curious cause they need something to compete with Halo 2
What could be better than a Fox flying a Arwing? A chick shooting aliens.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: XBox's big game is Halo 2, what is GC big game of 2004?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2003, 10:01:51 AM »
Considering that Halo is Microsoft's only major exclusive, while Nintendo has several, I'm not sure that there's any need for concern.  That said, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Pikmin 2 are what I would consider the major games ANNOUNCED so far.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2003, 10:08:57 AM »
Metroid Prime 2 possibly.  A new "realistic" Zelda is rumored to come out 2004 for GCN.  Star Fox Armada will also probably be scheduled for 2004.  Don't forget about Animal Crossing 2, whose predecessor was a hit in both Japan and America.  Many people are hyping Too Human, a game that literally nobody knows information about besides tidbits.  Also, Mario Party 5 might come out 2004, this time with LAN features.  The new Final Fantasy will come out 2004 if it is not released this year.  Adding to Too Human is Metal Gear Solid, which I think will come out next year.  A rumored Pokemon RPG is in the works supposedly, possibly coming out next year.  Dead Phoenix and Killer 7 will also come out next year, most likely.  

However, you asked for the big game of 2004 Gamecube-wise.  That, in my opinion, is the highly anticipated Resident Evil 4.  I am hyped for it much more than I was for Metroid Prime or the Wind Waker.  Not only that, but it is guaranteed to sell a good amount of Cubes if it is as good as I expect it to be.  
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2003, 10:10:16 AM »
Oh, I don't know... Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicle, MGS:Twin Snake, Rogue Squadron 3, Mario Kart Double Dash, FZero, Viewtiful Joe, and Pikmin 2 will ALL have been released before Halo 2 or Fable, and most (if not all) of these titles will be million+ sellers.

Not too worried about Nintendo's lineup.

As far as 2004 goes, Resident Evil 4 is the big gun, along with Mario 128 and possibly Killer 7.

Offline Armed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2003, 10:51:53 AM »
Too Human
If you like to read comics click below
**My cousin made it, pretty cool**
"Bilaran Wars"-Click Me

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2003, 11:05:29 AM »
actually i think in the mgs press release it said it would be released this year.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2003, 11:32:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Ninja X
Metroid Prime 2 possibly.  A new "realistic" Zelda is rumored to come out 2004 for GCN.  Star Fox Armada will also probably be scheduled for 2004.  Don't forget about Animal Crossing 2, whose predecessor was a hit in both Japan and America.  Many people are hyping Too Human, a game that literally nobody knows information about besides tidbits.  Also, Mario Party 5 might come out 2004, this time with LAN features.  The new Final Fantasy will come out 2004 if it is not released this year.  Adding to Too Human is Metal Gear Solid, which I think will come out next year.  A rumored Pokemon RPG is in the works supposedly, possibly coming out next year.  Dead Phoenix and Killer 7 will also come out next year, most likely.  

However, you asked for the big game of 2004 Gamecube-wise.  That, in my opinion, is the highly anticipated Resident Evil 4.  I am hyped for it much more than I was for Metroid Prime or the Wind Waker.  Not only that, but it is guaranteed to sell a good amount of Cubes if it is as good as I expect it to be.

Well listed, really impressive line up to compete with Halo 2, Fable etc.
And you must consider that RE4 is the most anticipated game in Japan after DQ8, and thats impressive.
Dont forget Virtua fighter RPG, Game Zero, Mario 128........

LZ 2005

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2003, 12:07:03 PM »
Really, in terms of sales, it's Mario Kart, if it's released next year. Historically, Mario Kart has been the best selling game on ever Nintendo platform since the SNES (not 100% about the GBA, but I'm pretty sure), even outselling Mario and Zelda. Mario 128, Too Human, and MGS:TS will most likely figure in big, too.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2003, 12:14:03 PM »
I bought the x-[ensive paperweight for three games, Shenmue 2, Fable, and Halo 2. And if Fable dissapoints (beign the major game) I swear to god I will kick everypne's ass who worked on it--every person. I did get one bonus, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, but that was a small bonus . . . . .

GC, howeever, I have some 22 titles for, and keeps me goign all the time, and there are some at least fifteen gc games I'm waiting for, compared to the three or so XBX. (Brute force is one xbx)
"Just a little gift from your friendly nieghborhood evil doer." - Me.

~ If you like serious, good quality Zelda rpgs, AIM HeroPiccolo and I'll give you a link. ~

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2003, 12:17:30 PM »
I have a list I keep on my computer of all the games I'm interested in checking out for each console I own (GC, GBA, and PS1/2). I don't include rumored games or games I already own. There's 37 games on my GBA list, 52 games on my PS1/2 list (22/30, respectively), and a whopping 59 games on my Gamecube list. I certainly won't buy all these games, but it becomes clear why I own a Gamecube after looking at the list.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2003, 12:41:59 PM »
yea there will be many. who knows exactly what though. killer 7 looks to be a 2004 title, and thats the one that i am really looking ofrward to right now.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2003, 01:50:25 PM »
yahuh, and i was going to buy a car :\ ohwell games it is

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2003, 02:25:44 PM »
Actually, the best selling game on SNES was Super Mario World, and the best selling game on N64 was Super Mario 64. Mario Kart I know as in the top 3 for N64 along with Goldeneye but I'm not sure about SNES...

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2003, 02:43:55 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Really, in terms of sales, it's Mario Kart, if it's released next year. Historically, Mario Kart has been the best selling game on ever Nintendo platform since the SNES (not 100% about the GBA, but I'm pretty sure), even outselling Mario and Zelda. Mario 128, Too Human, and MGS:TS will most likely figure in big, too.

The best selling N64 game is Super Mario 64, not Mario Kart 64.
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2003, 02:57:47 PM »
I already said that, about 20 minutes ago

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2003, 02:57:52 PM »
by far the biggest game for nintendo will be mario kart dd- it has major selling power behind it
but if it were me i would say nintendo's biggest surprise would be metal gear solid twin snake
hopefully that sells well so we can get some more metal gear lovin'
also- too human is on my top waiting list as is the ever secretive "game zero"
i think nintendo has a pretty strong line up for e3 and the rest of the year so lets hope for more surprises
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2003, 03:06:12 PM »
He said 2004. Mario Kart comes out this year.

As for the topic, we will find out at E3 won't we? As for what's already announced, there's Too Human and Resident Evil 4, as well as possibly a new Smash Bros. game, if they keep releasing one everything 3 years...  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2003, 03:47:37 PM »
According to The-Magicbox, both the SNES and N64's incarnation of Mario Kart outsold their respective incarnations of Mario by himself (by several hundred thousands units), and indeed every other game. True, that's only in Japan, but I don't really see it being much different elsewhere. If you guys have world sales from a reliable source to prove it, I'll believe you, but until then I hold by my original statement- Mario Kart has outsold Mario on both the SNES and N64. I'm not quite sure about the GBA- the only GBA titles to break a million sales is Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, and to be fair the GBA hasn't had a true Mario or Zelda game yet, just port of old ones.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2003, 03:58:24 PM »
Why wouldn't it be different? Goldeneye outsold Mario Kart 64 in the US for crying out loud.
http://ign64.ign.com/articles/072/072580p1.html

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2003, 04:35:22 PM »
I don't mean to bash M$, but I just can't seem to stop. Anyways, with Halflife 2 almost out and PD0 out in 2004, I think the FPS markets gonna be a bit flooded for XBox next year. Not that Halo 2 won't sell well, but especially in the face of Halflife, I bet its sales slump. I'm willing to bet Mario 128 is our big 2004 title.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2003, 04:39:42 PM »
Okay, so I was wrong, but Mario Kart is bigger than ZELDA at least. And it's bigger than Mario and Zelda in Japan, so it should be one of the Cube's best games selling games worldwide.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2003, 04:49:05 PM »
Yeah, no one is doubting it will sell extremely well

As for Half Life, I severely doubt a PC shooter will cause a dent in console sales....And the PC market is extremely small compared to the console market. It's very rare for a PC game to sell even a million units, but each console has loads of million sellers...

Offline Samwise Gamgee

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2003, 05:55:54 PM »
you think halo 2 is only one game and that alone wont keep M$ ahead? all you need is one realy good game to get people to buy a system! and i dont think mario can sell systems as well as he used to! games like mario kart and smash brothers are system sellers to casual gamers
"I made a promise! A promis; Don't you leave him Samewise Gamgee, and i don't mean to, i don't mean to!"

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2003, 06:17:53 PM »
I could simply turn the question around and ask what Xbox's big game of 2003 is?  The fact that the console is STILL relying on Halo, Halo, Halo says something about it, don't you think?  Nobody cares what GameCube's big game of 2004 is, because Nintendo is showing us tons of excellent games that will actually be availble this year!

But allow me to add that I think there are plenty of other good games on the Xbox, I don't mean to bash the Xbox...if anything my real complaint is with Halo.  There are some good games on that system, but it seems like all anyone talks about is Halo.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2003, 06:43:27 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
I have a list I keep on my computer of all the games I'm interested in checking out for each console I own (GC, GBA, and PS1/2). I don't include rumored games or games I already own. There's 37 games on my GBA list, 52 games on my PS1/2 list (22/30, respectively), and a whopping 59 games on my Gamecube list. I certainly won't buy all these games, but it becomes clear why I own a Gamecube after looking at the list.

heh, I do the same too.  I have it divided into two sections, "Wanted' and "Maybe".  I also don't include rumored games as well.  At time of typing, I have 19 GC, 10 GBA and 7 PC games.  Heck, Metriod Prime is still on the list, I haven't had time to play it.