Author Topic: Hardware Review: Penguin United rechargable batteries & charging dock  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
So I recently order the 2X Wii Remote Charging Dock + 4X Rechargeable Battery Combo from Penguin United. This full package was going for the supremely cheap price of Price: 26.99 (about 30 dollars cheaper than the original list price) so I couldn't help but order it.

So how good is the product?

I'll break it down using the hardware review style of NWR:

Appearance - 9.5

The two chargers that come in the package I ordered are stylish and match the Wii nicely. They are two pieces you won't mind setting up next to your Wii. They are small as well (but sturdy) and while charing they have a nice blue light that indicates if the Wiimote is charging. Two Wiimotes standing upright charging (one on each side of the Wii) actually make the whole system set up look rather cool.

The only "downside" to the charging stations appearance is when the Wiimotes are done charging. The blue light blinks. Which isn't really bad or anything but I would have preferred if the lights had just gone off so I could leave the remotes cradled in the stations without having to see two blue lights flashing all the time.  

The package also comes with new Wiimote battery covers so the rechargeable batteries can, well, charge. They are very close to the Wiimotes original color (only slightly off, barely noticeable. They fit nicely on the remote and are pretty much just like the original covers. You can barely tell that there is something 3rd party on the Wiimote, which is a good thing.

Overall the whole set looks very official and is professionally done.

Comfort - 10.0

The new Wiimote battery covers don't change how holding the Wiimote feels. Holding the Wiimote doesn't feel different at all and the rechargeable batteries are only slightly heavier than two normal AA batteries.

No complaints in the comfort area.

Quality - 10.0

The test of time will truly tell how well the product stands up but from what I can tell so far, the quality is spot on.

The charging stations are small yet elegant and are sturdy. The hold the Wiimotes firmly but at the same you don't have to struggle to pull the Wiimotes out of the station.

The batteries took only about 10 hours to charge up for the first run and it seems to be holding a charge nicely.

The quality is very high from what I have experienced so far.

Value - 10.0

For the slashed price, $26.99 is practically a steal for this set of items. Fantastic value and a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

Construction - 10

Pretty much I said what I had to say in the Quality area in this regard but yeah everything is of a really good quality. The battery covers are high quality. The charging stations are high quality. It's a high quality product.

Final - 9.5

No product is perfect but this set is as good as it gets in the rechargeable battery department. Definitely worthy of the Nintendo Seal of Quality as far as I am concerned. While time will tell how the batteries stand up to the test of time, everything seems to be going great so far and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. If you're like me and find your standard batteries are running out quickly and want an elegant charging solution for your controllers, this product is for you.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Hardware Review: Penguin United rechargable batteries & charging dock
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 09:38:47 PM »
I'll have to look into this, I bought the Nyko one and the batteries SUCK. They work in one controller but don't work in the other.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
RE: Hardware Review: Penguin United rechargable batteries & charging dock
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 09:43:12 PM »
Yay someone read my review! <3 <3

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
RE:Hardware Review: Penguin United rechargable batteries & charging dock
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 10:20:24 PM »
I figured it would be appropriate to update this thread after 2 months of use . . . so how do the batteries hold up after all this time? More over does anyone care? Let's find out!

I can give the lastability a resounding thumbs up. So far the batteries are holding a charge as good as the day I got them and it seems they are still for sale at the low low price I have listed above.

So I continue recommending this product for anyone seeking a elegant and affordable rechargeable battery solution for the Wii.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Hardware Review: Penguin United rechargable batteries & charging dock
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 07:59:51 PM »
Hmm.. I've been using NiMH batteries, but I might check this out - thanks Mash.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig