Author Topic: Mario Kart 8 Review  (Read 97296 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart 8 Review
« Reply #200 on: May 18, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »
Neal,Yea you did, and I've read your review, but you didn't mention anything about cracks showing up after an hour of gameplay like you just mentioned. I was curious as to what cracks show up. And how is it different from MK7?

Anyways, look, I'm not trying to be a troll. I was just trying to get the reasoning behind your review, which I still haven't got unfortunately. Out of fear of becoming a troll, I will leave this site as quickly as I came, however dissatisfied I am. No hard feelings here.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 18, 2014, 09:10:22 AM »
"A few negative criticisms about captain neal and his review and every single member of this site wants to take a shot at me."

Which would say something about you since we normally don't play nice with each other.  NWR has every right to their opinion of a game and you saying it's a poor review just because you disagree with the score? 

If you're an adult then maybe you should put on your big boy pants and start acting like it.

Offline deepsouth

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2014, 09:15:41 AM »
Ymeegod, Heres a suggestion. Learn to think for yourself. You don't get far in life by being a follower. Neal can defend himself quite fine.

Offline deepsouth

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 18, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
You gave Super Monkey ball 2 a higher score than MK 8? Pushmo got a higher score??? 'siggghhnhh
Ok, i'm done, had to get that out ,lol.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 18, 2014, 09:31:15 AM »
"You don't get far in life by being a follower"

LOL how many people on this forum would consider me a follower?  You come hear one day and think you know me?  I never defended Neal nor do I ever care who he is and I can't say if I agree or disagree with a review of a game I never even played nor does Neal review stop me for getting excited about MK8 or canceling my preorder. 

His review does exactly what it's meant to and I know exactly what to expect when I play MK8 for the first time. 

« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2014, 09:50:23 AM »
don't go stick around for a few days to at least learn we are far from a hive mentality here. Hell most every other thread degrades into a pissing match quite quickly so stick around your more fun than some of the other regulars.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 18, 2014, 10:07:14 AM »
Have you guys noticed that all the people who came here to gripe about the reviews are seemingly incapable of writing a coherent sentence? It's quite a coincidence. I guess Neal and Co. pissed off the denizens of GameFAQs.

There are few sites on the internet where I feel that the people on it are being honest with me, that they aren't just following a mandate from the video game developers in one form or another. NWR is one of those sites. I may disagree with their reviews at times and I may feel they're too forgiving of certain flaws within Nintendo or a piece of software, but I never have reason to believe that the people are insincere. So when some barely-literate fanboys comes in here and starts questioning the integrity of the site in the most tedious; pathetic way possible, I have a problem with that.

Ymeegod, Heres a suggestion. Learn to think for yourself. You don't get far in life by being a follower.

The irony of this post astounds me.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 18, 2014, 10:30:22 AM »
I guess Neal and Co. pissed off the denizens of GameFAQs.

Well...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TheBigK

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 18, 2014, 10:34:45 AM »
The people shitting all over this review are goddamn retarded. First of all, reviews are subjective. As in someone's opinion. In the end, does someone else's opinion really bother you on a personal level that much? If it does, may I suggest you close the tab and go back to /v/ where I'm sure you'd have a better time finding like-minded individuals to **** on everything game-related with? Secondly, you people care far too much about numbers. Neal explained his scoring very comprehensively, and if you can't deal with that then you can politely disagree without throwing a hissy fit. I mean, really? Getting this worked up over a video game? C'mon. Lastly, at the risk of contradicting my last point slightly, since when is 7.5 a bad score? The scale is from 1 to 10, not 5 to 10. You people are behaving like Neal said the game was absolute ****, like 1 or 2. 1 is garbage, 5 average, and 10 is perfect. 7.5 is halfway between average and perfect, so pretty damn good. And people clamouring for a 10 need to get a reality check. 10 implies a game is perfect and infallible, and no such game exists. I personally don't believe that a 10 should ever be given because perfection is a goal to strive for and is not actually attainable. Nothing in this world is perfect and improvements can always be made.

Just my two cents on the whole review controversy.
Nintendo Network ID: TheBigK

Add me!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 18, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »
This was the lowest score and I was curious as to why.

EGM also scored MK8 a 7.5.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 18, 2014, 10:43:53 AM »
10 implies a game is perfect and infallible, and no such game exists.

Let me introduce you to the perfect game.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 18, 2014, 11:10:42 AM »
I guess Neal and Co. pissed off the denizens of GameFAQs.

Well...

Hilariously, this doesn't surprise me. These people definitely remind me of those who use GameFAQs.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #212 on: May 18, 2014, 03:15:56 PM »
buttle's observations about the weight of topics in Neal's review are valid fodder for debate. It's not possible to address every possible topic in a review, and the author has to make subjective (authorial?) choices about where to spend words and focus critical attention. If you think his choices make the review more or less valid/useful/quality writing, we should have that conversation. If you all want to have a more substantive discussion of this review and our editorial process, that's fertile ground and could be a lot more civil than what's going on here.

By the way, you can lay off slinging mud at other communities, and consider that a moderator's threat. GameFAQs draws a much broader user base and is less self-selected than our own forum users. They don't and cannot exercise the kind of moderation nor editorial involvement in the community that we aim for at NWR. I expect all you veterans to show patience and acceptance of anyone coming here from another website. Treat them respectfully, let the moderators do our job, and encourage them to stay involved here so that they may contribute and learn more about what we do. Be a good citizen of our group, or at least don't be a bad citizen.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 18, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »
Khushrenada, your going out of your way to defend this site, and this review, and it isn't neccesary.

Not really. I frequent this site a lot and it doesn't take much time to counter a lot of these arguments since most of them aren't really good points.

I'm glad NWR gave all those other amazing Nintendo games the scores they deserved. They should have done the same to this amazing game.

Again, should have is a subjective thing. I'm known on this site for disliking Super Mario Galaxy. If I'd worked for this site and had reviewed the game, I'd have given it a low score. And then I'd have probably gotten all these comments that people are giving Neal. But it's honestly how I feel about the game. As it is, I didn't review it and the people who have reviewed the game all gave it high scores. I know I'm in the minority about feeling that way about the game but I do and a second play through of it recently didn't change my opinion of it. I really like Mario games but for some reason, that particular game just didn't click with me.

Unfortunately, just like a painting, a song, a movie or TV show, people can see and hear the same thing and all have different viewpoints on it. In this case, Neal's viewpoint is different than others. You can disagree with it and if you want to bring up actual points from the game as to why it is the best Mario Kart yet, by all means, you are welcome to do so. But telling a person to change their opinion because everyone else thinks differently or it will hurt sales of a product is completely wrong.

About Yoshis new Island getting a 6, well I wasn't here to argue that review, and it wasn't on the same scale as this one. A six is low, should have been a 7.5.

They actually did two reviews on this site. One gave it a 6 and the other gave it a 7.5 (the magical number). So you see, you can relate with a review on this site. I guess the question is, if you'd give Yoshi's New Island a 7.5, what does that ranking mean to you? 

And your sarcasm about the other games not selling consoles is inaccurate. All those games you mentioned did move consoles, just not as many as Nintendo would have wished for.

It wasn't really sarcasm. Nintendo has no doubt been hoping that any game they release for it will help kick start Wii U sales on to a better trajectory. But they haven't and even if Mario Kart 8 did get 100% reviews from the 9-10 range, I don't think it is going to do it either. If Nintendo's strategy is to hope that every game they release gets reviewed like that and it is their only plan to get the Wii U selling more units than expect Wii U sales to always be low because depending on 100% reviews for every game is not going to happen.

You would be suprised at the amount of people who decide not to purchase a game becouse of a metacritic score. Any negative review on any game impacts the sales of said video game, even if it's by a miniscule amount.

Than you know what? Those are the people you should be attacking and criticising. If people can't think for themselves and only buy things based on a number they see from a site, that's sad. As much as people keep accusing one another of a hive mentality in this argument, those are the individuals that are truly exhibiting it. 12 Years a Slave just won Best Picture. I disagree with that because I've seen the movie and I've also seen other movies released last year that I felt were better. But since it won Best Picture, am I going to change my mind on it? No, because I can think for myself and make decisions based on my likes and dislikes.

I already own a Wii U. A good or bad review of Mario Kart 8 isn't going to affect me or my purchase. I will buy it at some point because I do like Mario Kart games. I admit that I was disappointed in Mario Kart 7 so I do have some reservations about this game. But even if got 100% reviews in the 9-10 range, I'm not going to buy it Day 1. It's just like how I haven't bought Super Mario 3D World yet despite high ranking reviews but will at some point. Games can be bought and played at anytime. The idea that every review for a game should be positive so that Metacritic has a high score to encourage other people to then buy this game and console on the day or week of its release seems like a ridiculous statement. Do you really think there are millions of people that were just waiting to see if Mario Kart 8 would get an average of 9.2 and then they were going to drop down $300 and some dollars because that's what it took? I think people handle money differently. Moreover, if there are people that were waiting for Mario Kart 8 to come out and then buy the system, I doubt they will suddenly change their mind because of one review stating it is more of the same. Most likely, that's what such a person wants anyways. They're most likely still going to purchase it because it's what they've been waiting for and what they want. I highly doubt there are millions of people on the fence as to whether they will buy the Wii U in a couple weeks depending on how the Mario Kart 8 review number comes in at.

Again, this idea that reviewers should alter scores to support Nintendo and keep Metacritic scores high for more sales is flat out WRONG! Sony Pictures had a scandal years back where they made up a fictional movie reviewer to give terrible movies a good rating and quote they could put on movie posters and ads to try and counter the negative reviews they knew the film would get. Is that something that should be applauded? Is it a good idea to have reviews that lie to the public? If not, why is suddenly acceptable to have reviewers rate things higher than they feel just because other people may like it more or a company needs more sales? How is that justifiable?

A reviewer just gives their opinion and reasons for it. Some may agree and some may disagree but that's the point of it. It's just someone giving their thoughts and impressions on something. It allows you to hear another perspective from you own and maybe realize or appreciate things you didn't notice on your own. Just like how I didn't realize the Mona Lisa had no eyebrows until reading someone else's review on it. Making it their responsibility to increase or decrease sales is not the job of a reviewer. It may have an affect on sales but then that's the risk of having anything reviewed. That's why some movies aren't released to critics to be reviewed ahead of time. Studios recognize they're bad and want to keep critics from reviewing it negatively. Likewise, good movies can still get a negative review from some people. It happens.

Finally, you and others coming to this site are reacting to something for which we've yet to see the full context of. It's interesting how Karl posted the link to an old Wii review that got a lot of hate thrown at the reviewer for the game Pangya Golf. I'd honestly forgotten that game even existed. How many people are playing or talking about it today? Does anyone even care about it or still think it was the 9 or 10 that they claimed way back when? For all we know, a year from now, people might be complaining about how Mario Kart 8 was so disappointing. Or they might not. We'll find out over time as more people play it and assess it and compare it to other releases. But to come and say that this review and score is wrong right now is pointless because viewpoints change and it becomes easier to assess things with the passage of time than in the present. Honestly, I'd love to see how people coming in here and complaining about the review feel about the game in a year. I doubt we'll see any of you since you'll have moved on to the next crisis but it would be interesting, I think.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 18, 2014, 03:30:54 PM »
Broodwars, I think your taking my liking the game more personal than I'm taking the 7.5 score. lol

I have particular disdain for the hive mind mentality of fanboys, and you're fortunate the terms of service here forbid me from going any further than that.

Coming from the resident Sony fanboy  :D .

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 18, 2014, 03:35:38 PM »
Broodwars, I think your taking my liking the game more personal than I'm taking the 7.5 score. lol

I have particular disdain for the hive mind mentality of fanboys, and you're fortunate the terms of service here forbid me from going any further than that.

Come to think of it we need a good Microsoft fanboy/troll to compliment broodwars, where can we get one of those?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 18, 2014, 03:37:10 PM »
If you think Khushrenada goes out of his way to defend this site you've clearly never read anything he's posted outside this thread. Hell, the reason you can't edit posts in TalkBack anymore is due to a component of an open rebellion against this site he largely organized.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 18, 2014, 03:47:03 PM »
If you think Khushrenada goes out of his way to defend this site you've clearly never read anything he's posted outside this thread. Hell, the reason you can't edit posts in TalkBack anymore is due to a MAJOR OVERREACTION TO A component of an open rebellion against this site he largely organized.
fixed

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 18, 2014, 04:03:59 PM »
If you think Khushrenada goes out of his way to defend this site you've clearly never read anything he's posted outside this thread. Hell, the reason you can't edit posts in TalkBack anymore is due to a MAJOR OVERREACTION TO A component of an open rebellion against this site he largely organized.
fixed

You can give **** to me or Crimm, but you don't **** with Aaron. He will wreck you.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 18, 2014, 04:21:54 PM »

If you think I'm a Sony fanboy, you clearly haven't been paying attention to the sheer number of times I complain about their actions. They just give me less reason to complain than the other two.  :P: It's kind of like that old Churchill quote about Democracy.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 18, 2014, 04:30:19 PM »
Broodwars isn't a fanboy of anybody; he relentlessly criticizes anyone and everyone.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #221 on: May 18, 2014, 04:37:37 PM »
I figured I was as close to a Sony fanboy as you would find around here. I personally HATE everything Xbox but I am all Windows all the way. I tend to buy Sony electronics, especially TV's, home theater, and Blu Ray players plus I have always loved Playstation for their keeping the industry moving forward. But I don't consider myself a fanboy in the truest sense I bought a PS3 just last year I stood in line to get a Wii.

« Reply #222 on: May 18, 2014, 04:38:24 PM »
I figured I was as close to a Sony fanboy as you would find around here. I personally HATE everything Xbox but I am all Windows all the way. I tend to buy Sony electronics, especially TV's, home theater, and Blu Ray players plus I have always loved Playstation for their keeping the industry moving forward. But I don't consider myself a fanboy in the truest sense I bought a PS3 just last year, while I stood in line to get a Wii.

Sorry fixed that.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 18, 2014, 05:50:33 PM »

If you think I'm a Sony fanboy, you clearly haven't been paying attention to the sheer number of times I complain about their actions. They just give me less reason to complain than the other two.  :P: : It's kind of like that old Churchill quote about Democracy.

Ha…I suppose maybe my perception of you is based on some recent posts you've been making lately, and not your overall historical posting..  I'm a big fan of Sony's game products, so I'm certainly not one to judge.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 18, 2014, 06:12:02 PM »
Broodwars isn't a fanboy of anybody; he relentlessly criticizes anyone and everyone.

In the words of Treebeard, "I'm not on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on MY side!"  :P