Author Topic: Club Nintendo Rewards: Handheld History Cards  (Read 25829 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Club Nintendo Rewards: Handheld History Cards
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2011, 12:49:48 PM »
Also, the term "Feature" is used too much.  On one hand, something like "The GameCube 10", which is purely an opinion piece, is labeled "Feature".  Then, the Skylander's Character guide, which is all news, is also labeled "Feature".
Since the game is released and its more of a reference I don't think its exactly News either.  Feature sort of becomes an easy catch all.  Though thats another topic.  Wonder what forum part that should go into?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 01:11:36 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2011, 12:56:18 PM »
You can see them separated out by category on each type of article's respective page. If you want just news, click News in the navigation bar. Separating them all on the front page would be overly busy, and there's already quite a lot going on there.

Features aren't necessarily opinion or fact, they're just supposed to go into detail about a topic.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »
UncleBob-

I've clarified my points many times over and none of them were that complex to begin with. If you choose to ignore when I've spelled something out explicitly for the sake of the misinterpretation that preceded it?  That's you choosing to waste your own time.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2011, 01:24:16 PM »
You can see them separated out by category on each type of article's respective page. If you want just news, click News in the navigation bar. Separating them all on the front page would be overly busy, and there's already quite a lot going on there.

'meh.  I'm no design artist, so I can't particularly help with this (perhaps, different colored backgrounds on the different types of articles?  moving the labels to the left so they're read first?  going back to the old forum method where the blog posts were put into a blog forum?)

Features aren't necessarily opinion or fact, they're just supposed to go into detail about a topic.

That's the issue though - some features are pure opinion, while others are nothing but lists of information.  I understand the idea that "Feature" = "Detailed Article", but it really blurs the line between news and opinion.

I've clarified my points many times over

No, you've changed your points many times over.

Staff or Visitors - who needs to be more "Pro-Nintendo"?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2011, 01:32:56 PM »
The only thing that's news is news. Features may not be opinion-based, but they're not news; they're just facts. Ceric's right on when he calls the feature label a catch-all.

Also, next time you feel the need to respond to NinSage, let his title guide your decision.

J.P. Corbran

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2011, 01:51:05 PM »
The only thing that's news is news. Features may not be opinion-based, but they're not news; they're just facts. Ceric's right on when he calls the feature label a catch-all.

But they're not always "facts" - The staff's top ten favorite GameCube games?  Great idea for an article, but not really factual information (well, I guess you *could* say that it's a fact you guys like those games, but that's a bit of a reach).

A better article to highlight would be the "X Days and Counting" feature.  Sure, it includes factual information, but it's not really a news piece - it's taking the bit of information (no new VC game this week) and opining on it. (Hey, this sucks... go download these great VC games!).

The fact (heh) that "Feature" is used as a catch-all simply goes to show that there is an issue with differentiating news-based articles from opinion-based pieces.  It's not really a huge deal to me - but something worth pointing out.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2011, 02:14:58 PM »
For the last time, news is the only thing that's news. If you want news, go to the news section. That's where it is.

Features may or may not include opinions. Most of the time they do. They do not, however, include news, which as we've established is only found in news. They may include facts that are neither opinion nor news and are instead simply information included for reference.

To recap, news can be found in, and only in, the news section. Everything else can and often does include some level of opinion, as well as the possibility of a certain amount of factual reference material.

J.P. Corbran

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2011, 02:31:06 PM »
I get what you're saying.  I'm simply saying that the site could do a better job differentiating news pieces from opinion pieces.

If individuals only check the "News" section, they'd miss out on the interviews, which get shoe-horned into the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink "Features" category as well.

Also, the Japanese e-Shop round up.  This is a great example - the first half is very clearly news.  The second half, very clearly opinion... but it's all in one article (under "Features")...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 02:33:25 PM by UncleBob »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2011, 03:38:02 PM »
We need to have a catch-all type of category, though, or else we'd end up with way too many types of articles which would get pretty unruly very quickly.

I suppose it sounds a bit too much like toeing the company line when I say I think people should check out all of our content, regardless of what type it is. It's fairly clearly marked on the main site, and we're not trying to act like our opinion is the be all end all; the great discussions in the talkback pages are a great part of the site as well.

We maintain a very strict policy of objectivity in news, which is why something like the Japan Round-Ups you mentioned specifically aren't considered news because of their editorial content.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Majoras_Wrath

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2011, 08:05:47 PM »
Uh... wow.

Anyway, I thought I'd chime in once more. Somebody did make the point that it's a blog post... which is fine, but it was linked at the very top of the site as one of it's major news articles. Kind of a blog in name only at that point, isn't it?

I would like to defend something though.

Although he may not have approached it in the best way with his first post (and maybe I didn't either), I really do agree with the sentiment that many media outlets, both for Nintendo and all systems, consistently ignore the company's best points in favor of constant cynicism over well... everything.

Nintendo is absolutely not perfect yes, and absolutely not above criticism. That's undeniable. But I feel like the pervasive media attitude for Nintendo these days is one of absolute hostility.

It's very difficult for Nintendo fans to find a place to read up on the company without being hit by a blast of overdone negativity... about everything. And I don't feel that's warranted at all.