Author Topic: NEC Provides More Memory for Wii  (Read 3823 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
NEC Provides More Memory for Wii
« on: June 19, 2006, 07:13:26 AM »
The console's CMOS-compatible embedded DRAM will complement the 1T-SRAM from MoSys, also announced today.

Nintendo's New WiiTM Video Game Console Uses NEC Electronics' Embedded DRAM    

KAWASAKI, Japan, SANTA CLARA, Calif., June 19, 2006    

NEC Electronics today announced that Nintendo Co., Ltd. has selected NEC Electronics' 90-nanometer (nm) CMOS-compatible embedded DRAM (eDRAM) technology for WiiTM, its innovative new video game console. Designed to provide advanced graphics functions for this new gaming platform, the new system LSI chips with eDRAM will be manufactured using advanced technologies on NEC Yamagata's 300-millimeter (mm) production lines.    

Embedded DRAM technology integrates DRAM on the same chip with logic circuits, and is viewed as an optimal solution for three-dimensional (3D) graphics acceleration systems and other applications that need to process high bandwidth data using low power. In the past, the integration of an eDRAM structure with a standard CMOS process proved challenging. NEC Electronics achieved its fully CMOS-compatible eDRAM technology by integrating a metal-insulator-metal 2 (MIM2) stacked DRAM capacitor on the company's standard CMOS process.    

NEC Electronics first introduced MIM2 technology on 90 nm eDRAM in 2005, and volume production started that same year. The technology requires a material with a high dielectric constant to be placed between two electrodes, and a large charge to be maintained on the capacitor with low leakage and a small cell size. NEC Electronics has achieved this by 1) using a MIM structure for the electrodes in the DRAM cell to achieve lower resistance values and higher data processing speeds, 2) using cobalt-silicide (CoSi) DRAM cell transistors to increase driving performance, and 3) using zirconium-oxide (ZrO2) in the capacitance layer (ahead of other vendors) to increase capacitance of the unit area. These and other breakthroughs have allowed NEC Electronics to develop eDRAM chips using its most advanced 90 nm process and to secure its roadmap to 55 nm eDRAM and beyond.    

Available now with NEC Electronics' unique 90 nm CMOS-compatible eDRAM process, the ASICs deliver significant advantages that promise to continue along the technological roadmap toward 55 nm processes and beyond.    

NEC Electronics selected MoSys® as the DRAM macro design partner for the Wii devices because MoSys is experienced in implementing 1T-SRAM® macros on NEC Electronics' eDRAM process. MoSys designed the circuits and layout of high-speed 1T-SRAM macros on NEC Electronics' 90 nm CMOS-compatible eDRAM technology.    

The adoption of these eDRAM ASICs for Nintendo's new game console is a clear vote of confidence in NEC Electronics' eDRAM technology. The company is committed to delivering more value-added features to spur the adoption of its CMOS-compatible eDRAM solutions across a wide range of applications.    

More information about NEC Electronics' eDRAM can be found at http://www.necel.com/process/en/edram.html.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: NEC Provides More Memory for Wii
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 10:10:52 AM »
"CMOS compatible"? What's that supposed to mean, it's not based on CMOS technology? Isn't CMOS a fundamental tech even for RAM?

And why does Nintendo suddently opt for DRAM over SRAM, do they plan on putting a lot more RAM into the system?

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:NEC Provides More Memory for Wii
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 12:36:05 PM »
well clearly the (e)dram will be better then sdram
2005 vs 10years ago tech

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 12:54:30 PM »
So much tekno-babble!

IS THE Wii MADE OF FAIL AND INTERNET?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 01:31:07 PM »
Would this be the rumored extra 14MB of RAM that IGN thought was gonna be in the Wii? I remember them saying something about the Wii possibly having 14MB of (e)DRAM in addition to the added 64MB of 1T-SRAM.
Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 05:14:07 PM »
Interesting tidbit from IGN http://wii.ign.com/articles/713/713262p1.html

Our most up-to-date specs promise 16MB of eDRAM (integrated in NEC's LSI chips) and 88MB of 1T-SRAM (the "additional external memory chip"), for a total of 104MB of system RAM, not counting the allegedly accessible 512MB of Flash RAM or the ATI Hollywood GPU's on-board memory, which is said to amount to 3MB.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 05:58:05 PM »
From there discussion it looks like eDram uses SRAM.   But I do know that this means there is a roadmap to make at least 1 of the chips in the Wii much smaller.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 08:20:13 PM »
From my understanding (from years of lurking on the B3D forums) 1T-SRAM is not SRAM at all, it is infact DRAM that is configured in a way that is just as fast a 6T-SRAM only it uses 1T(T=transistor) which means that is takes up less die space and is alot less dense.

For further explanation you will need to look elsewhere, thats all I got, and it might not even be right.  

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 07:00:03 AM »
Ummm, so what does this all mean?

Is this just an announcement to let us all know what kind of RAM Nintendo is using and the companies which are partnered?  Does this mean there is potentially more RAM for the Wii than first let on?  Or does it mean that the RAM amount announced is accurate, but because of the type of RAM it doesn't matter, because its just that great of RAM?

Can anyone break this stuff down for the average joe.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 09:58:03 AM »
It's supposed to mean "Hey shareholders, we landed a contract with the most hyped console of the next generation! Time to buy our shares!"

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 10:38:52 AM »
KDR ftw
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 10:57:03 AM »
Seeing as Nintendo's stock as been on a 10,000+ yen (thats about $85 US) run since mid 2003, for quite obvious reasons, why not tell stock holders to buy more.
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 01:18:00 PM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Interesting tidbit from IGN http://wii.ign.com/articles/713/713262p1.html

Our most up-to-date specs promise 16MB of eDRAM (integrated in NEC's LSI chips) and 88MB of 1T-SRAM (the "additional external memory chip"), for a total of 104MB of system RAM, not counting the allegedly accessible 512MB of Flash RAM or the ATI Hollywood GPU's on-board memory, which is said to amount to 3MB.

Hmmm....that still leaves a question mark. Is the 16MBs of eDRAM replacing the Gamecube's 16MBs of auxiliary RAM? Without the auxilary RAM wouldn't the Wii have to use 40MB of the 88MBs of 1T-SRAM for running Gamecube software instead of 24MB of the 88MBs of 1T-SRAM and the 16MBs of auxiliary RAM? If so would the difference in RAM speed be an issue for Gamecube software compatibility?
Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 01:40:16 PM »
I think they've made some speed leaps in the 1T-SRAM since the Cube's version.  Though I would think they would want to keep the main structure intact and leave the auxilary RAM, maybe even boost it up.  I'm sure all the numbers will look weird be from an engineering stand point line up magical to how much the processor can take, how can be read at a time, etc. etc.  Like with the Cube.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 07:57:23 PM »
From what I've heard the 1T-SRAM that they are talking about is about is actually supposed to be 1T-SRAM-Q, which is better & faster than what was in the GC.