Author Topic: Son half-assed ripped off Nintendo  (Read 32520 times)

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Sony half-assed ripped off Nintendo
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2006, 07:17:55 AM »
No, it's because you have to move like a retard to use accelerometers. You see, the brash movement of the controller turns the in-game ship. However, like PGC said, it'll recenter itself after sometime.

This is very unlike the Wiimote in that it nows when you recenter it and when you hold it in an angle.

Basically it's this:

With the PS3, you can not turn forever unless you keep making the movement needed for you to turn.

With the Wii, you can turn forever by simple holding the controller in a turned position.

Nintendo 1 - Sone 0
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
RE:Sony half-assed ripped off Nintendo
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2006, 03:54:08 PM »
i know theres more exciting things to post about but i just wanted to add my two cents:

Wiimote; 3d motion sensing capability; features rumble

playstation 3 sparkling innovation controller; tilts; lacks rumble because it would 'interfere' with the gyros.

HA!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Byron

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2006, 04:45:34 PM »
I wonder if this will mean less innovative 3rd party games for the Wii?

Nintendo's hope with the controller was that more people would buy it's version of 3rd party games because the games would utilize the controller.

So with the sony controller tilt and twist function, instead of making games that take advantage of the Wii controller they just port the code for Sony's over and save money and time and so Sony kills a bird with this stone.

Offline Dryden

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2006, 12:20:34 AM »

I wonder if this will mean less innovative 3rd party games for the Wii?

Nintendo's hope with the controller was that more people would buy it's version of 3rd party games because the games would utilize the controller.

So with the sony controller tilt and twist function, instead of making games that take advantage of the Wii controller they just port the code for Sony's over and save money and time and so Sony kills a bird with this stone.

You know, I've thought a lot about this.  But I don't take the pessimist view.  Yes, this definately will mean less innovation from the 3rd parties, if they're designing with the PS3 in mind first and the Wii second (or third).  However, it also means a lot less risk from a company to develop a Wii game.

Think about it:  Sony just opened up the opportunity for developers to try out Nintendo's software.  It's financially less risky to be able to port the game over to another system, even with much looser control.  Any developers who looked at the Wii and said "Nope - too much money for too little return" has to rethink it now that the PS3 offers a bastardized version.  If anything, the innovation may hurt - but the number of games produced for the Wii is going to increase.
Brawl FC: TONX, 2964 - 8248 - 7611  -  PM if you add me.  Calgary, AB!

Offline Aussiedude

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2006, 06:14:10 PM »
Well Sony's strategy may be paying off.
The Melbourne Sun newspaper in Australia had a report on E3, in it the stated that the PS3 has 3d control similar to Nintendo's.

However, the price revealled of $830($870? I lost the newspaper) for the basic PS3 system,  and $1000 AUD for the full PS3 system is a shocker.  
Will Wii Win?  

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2006, 06:27:38 PM »
I'm thinking that the motion technology is the same, except that the Wiimote also has the PixArt tracking technology for using the Wiimote as a pointing device with a cursor.  If a cursor isn't being displayed, the controllers probably use similar hardware.

Sure, the Sony controller can detect 6 axes of motion.  But it can't detect each axis discreetly.  It is 3 axis just like the Wiimote and Nunchuku.

Offline Jin-X

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2006, 07:23:49 PM »
A bad thing that can happen is that Sony doing commercials with Warhawk and some casuals think they invented it, sort of like they think PS2 more powerful than GC. If I hear somebody say Nintendo copied Sony at an EB or Gamestop I might have to bash their head into the PS3 demo kiosk.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2006, 08:06:31 PM »
From what I gathered the motion technology is NOT the same as Wii, it is more of a gyroscope (similar to what the nunchuck attachment is supposed to be).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2006, 10:45:50 PM »
No matter how you look at it, Sony copied Nintendo. They wouldn't have done this if Nintendo hadn't I'm sure. Right now, more then anything I want Sony to do so poorly with the PS3 that they drop out of the gaming industry.... Or at least consoles.
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2006, 10:57:27 PM »
I really think that Sony's "6 degrees of control" Isn't going to do much, it is basically a cheap version of what Nintendo has that cannot sense 3D motion depth. Really I doubt many companies will use it, especially for anything major since they will take the tried and true route of utilizing the controller itself.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2006, 11:04:54 PM »
Games made for Wii will still be unportable because playstation cannot copy what it does.  It seems like this doesn't even have the functionality of the nunchuk addition.

It seems to me like it will backfire and make people think about this type of control and thus gravitate towards Wii and bring playstation fans away.

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2006, 11:05:12 PM »
The Wii remote and nunchuck have the same functionality, except that the Wiimote has a CMOS sensor to view the "sensor bar" when a cursor is needed.   Sony's controller lacks the CMOS sensor.  In any instance that a cursor isn't needed, all three controllers function the same way.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2006, 11:12:39 PM »
So Jensen, both can sense 3D motion depth?

Offline Edfishy

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2006, 06:15:50 AM »
It really doesn't matter if Nintendo's technology is much more advanced, they're so visually similiar that people(read: idiots) will believe that Sony has the same that Nintendo has to offer.  I.e. "The controllers move and things happen" will be the average consumer's perception of both technologies.

Sony did this already with the crappy analogs on the PS1 controller.  I can't tell you how many stupid people defended their PlayStation against the N64 with, "The PlayStation has analogs too!", and how many stupid consumers may have thought that the visually appealing analogs on the PS1 controller look like a more advanced joystick.  This same argument will now insue with the PS3 and Wii.

Sony is a brilliant company, no doubt to that, they've just saved their butts.  I bet their CEO's are breathing a sigh of relief today.  After all, they can buy the Media Machine and convince everyone that they have something entirely unique to offer.  For $600.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2006, 06:29:55 AM »
It's clear that Sony did this to save themselves.  If they would have introduced this in say the PSP when it first came out then it be different.  They mentioned now that they were considering it.  To late.

PS3 just keeps looking like one of those expensive coffee makers.  Also every press release I see from them they have to take a jab at either MS or Nintendo.  I mean to be honest that happens.  But everyone come on.  Even if the PS3 was the same price as the Wii that sort of business practice turns me off.  I would buy a 360 before a PS3 with a $250 price point.

Something else to mention.  Every year Sony promises big things with the EyeToy and Shows these cool demos with it, this year was card game.  Do these ever actually come into mainstream.  No.  They don't.  It will be the same with the tilt feature.  Only very specific games will use it.

Another point while I'm on my Soap Box.  If Nintendo was serious about making it easy to make wireless peripherals for the Wii then I could see Guitar Hero and DDR moving over.  Offering more Wii support.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2006, 09:34:59 AM »

Originally posted by: VGrevolution

Sony's can't sense orientation consistantly (hence, the Warhawk demo where the plane would return to nuetral while the controller was still angled). It uses accelerometers. The Wii uses accelerometers, IR tracking and judging by racing performance attitudinal sensors. (If it doesn't, it certainly should; you could make one basically with a pair of weighted analog sticks, so there's no excuse for not having one). The PS3 uses about the level of technology in the nunchuk attachment.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2006, 11:30:39 AM »

Originally posted by: zakkiel

Originally posted by: VGrevolution

Sony's can't sense orientation consistantly (hence, the Warhawk demo where the plane would return to nuetral while the controller was still angled). It uses accelerometers. The Wii uses accelerometers, IR tracking and judging by racing performance attitudinal sensors. (If it doesn't, it certainly should; you could make one basically with a pair of weighted analog sticks, so there's no excuse for not having one). The PS3 uses about the level of technology in the nunchuk attachment.

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up. Basically it sounds like the PS3 will use what people predicted Wii would use back before the Wii control was announced.

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2006, 12:06:25 PM »

Originally posted by: zakkiel
The PS3 uses about the level of technology in the nunchaku attachment.
If you had read any articles about suppliers of  Wii, you'd know that the nunchaku and Wiimote use very similar accelerometers (different companies, but similar functionality).  The Wiimote also has a second, separate tracking system.  It works sorta like an infrared optical mouse, but instead of tracking the texture of a surface, it tracks a couple of IR emitters on the sensor bar.

http://www.informationweek.com/internet/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=187201651&pgno=1&queryText=

Analog devices provides:

http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2877,ADXL330,00.html

STMicroelectronics probably uses

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/11669.pdf  or
http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/11668/lis3l02al.pdf

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 02, 2006, 08:17:48 PM »

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Jin-X

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 02, 2006, 08:24:06 PM »
LMAO!!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 02, 2006, 09:11:07 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

the caption shoud say:
"Due the the advanced nature of this technology, usage of the L & R triggers have been removed"