Author Topic: Tyrian!  (Read 2437 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Tyrian!
« on: July 27, 2010, 01:43:50 AM »
Just wanted to point out that there's a port of OpenTyrian (apparently the game got released into the public domain so it's getting ported everywhere) for the Homebrew channel and it's awesome. I played through the game again while I was on vacation, the controls work well as long as you don't point at the sensor bar. Destruct isn't implemented yet (no key binds apparently so they didn't add the option to access it but it's coming) but everything else works well.

So if you have the HBC on your Wii (I needed it for import games anyway) go grab some Tyrian and get that nostalgia going again!

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Tyrian!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 02:17:07 PM »
Its available for my Linux distribution as well (openSUSE).  Maxed-out hot dog guns are awesome.
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 02:27:39 PM »
It's been around for a while; I've had it on my Wii since I originally installed the Homebrew Channel, and that was a long time ago. Of course, like with retail and VC and WiiWare games, I have a massive backlog and haven't gotten around to playing this.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 02:43:15 PM »
Its available for my Linux distribution as well (openSUSE).  Maxed-out hot dog guns are awesome.

I like the rear banana blast because it shoots the exploding banana that just demolishes big enemies. Didn't get anything really crazy in my playthrough, just the Super Carrot (but the Stalker 21160 was available shortly after it and the Stalker C already offered better armor, I don't know the special moves anyway and can't be arsed to input the few I do regularly).

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 06:14:21 PM »
What in the world is Tyrian?

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 11:06:56 PM »
Its an old-school top-down space shooter with ship many upgrades.
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 01:26:17 AM »
Plus many secret levels and equipment you can only buy at specific locations so it has an aspect of exploration too. The story also gets pretty damn silly at times (the enemy general has been reincarnated as... A GIANT FACE!).