Author Topic: Soul Calibur 2 GC - still worth it?  (Read 6352 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Soul Calibur 2 GC - still worth it?
« on: May 12, 2011, 12:26:01 AM »
I rented SC2 once a few years ago for Gamecube, had fun with beating down fools with Link and admiring Ivy's Most Common Superpower. I also bought 3 for a song and had fun with it for a couple of weeks.

Now someone's basically said I can get full-box SC2 if I want it. Does anyone here still play it? How would it hold up?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Soul Calibur 2 GC - still worth it?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:49:36 AM »
Heck yeah its worth it. From what I heard the series hasn't really changed/improved much since 2, and since this is the only version you can get which has Link in it that alone makes it worth having.
is your sanity...

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 02:29:20 AM »
Yes yes oh god yes! Get it! SC5 is coming out for PS360 in 2012, I think we can all expect a Cafe release as well.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 02:40:28 AM »
it's definitely worth it. It's soul calibur and It has Link, what's not to like?
it's aged pretty well so i don't think you'll have an issue getting into it

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Yeah it is worth it still.It has a lot of content and it is a fun fighting game.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 04:25:08 PM »
SC2 was my favorite. I did like the character creation in SC3 though.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:23:03 PM »
SC3 was super broken though. I can't believe Namco released that after the awesomeness that was SC2. So yeah, it's worth it, if only to "taunt' with Link on the vs screen and hear him grunt in a couple different ways. Ehh, I'm easily amused.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 09:02:51 AM »
Going with the crowd here.  I loved the Soul Calibur series, and 2 was the last one I bought because I didn't feel that there are any improvements that needed to be made (unless you wanted online playability).

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 02:46:54 AM »
Yeah, it's still the best Soul Calibur, even if you don't play the console characters at all!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 09:07:15 AM »
A comic I was looking at getting yesterday had an add for SC2 with Link in it...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 05:05:08 AM »
Hopefully Soul Calibur V will come to the Cafe. What character(s) would you guys like to see be exclusive to the Nintendo version? Link again? Or maybe someone else this time?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 05:06:40 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 07:20:34 AM »
Seeing how small Yoda was in Soul Calibur 4, I would like to see the Nintendo guest in the next Soul Calibur game to be Kirby.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 10:06:02 AM »
DK or ZSS.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 09:15:23 AM »
I still think that Soul Calibur 2 was the best in the series.  The third game wasn't very good and the fourth had serious balance issues.  Neither lived up to the hype, and both seem to focus on pushing superficial updates instead of actually making a deep and balanced fighting game.  That's not saying that two was perfect... but it doesn't take any serious mis-steps and is still tremendously fun to play.

Special characters I'd like to see in a future Soul Calibur?  None.  Adding special licensed characters has always been gimmicky at best, and I really think the license is (or should be) strong enough to stand on it's own anyway.
NNID: ejamer

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »
What makes you say SC4 had balance issues?

Offline JasonMaivia

• On the ShyGuy list.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
It's a shame that SC2 was the only real SC fighter for Nintendo.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 09:11:58 AM »
What makes you say SC4 had balance issues?

Star Wars characters were clearly overpowered. Others were questionable at best, even after the official patches that were released to "fix" balance issues.  Compared to Soul Calibur 2 -- which didn't receive any post-release updates -- the fourth game in the series had more cheap moves and broken combos. If that's your thing then go for it.

(My complaints are probably overstated. It's not terribly balanced and is still fun. Destructible armor is cool, although fighting in your underwear isn't. Dead or Alive body types are also in poor taste in my opinion... but again, others will disagree.  The point is that 4 doesn't make the first two games less enjoyable or less worth playing.)
NNID: ejamer

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »
Star Wars characters were clearly overpowered. Others were questionable at best, even after the official patches that were released to "fix" balance issues.

Uh, actually, you are wrong - Vader was slow garbage, Yoda, although unthrowable, didn't really have anything for options, range, or mobility. The apprentice had some juice but he still wasn't that great.

Compared to Soul Calibur 2 -- which didn't receive any post-release updates --
Hohoho, actually, Cassandra had a straight up infinite in the arcade version before they shipped out an updated arcade disc.

the fourth game in the series had more cheap moves and broken combos. If that's your thing then go for it.

(My complaints are probably overstated. It's not terribly balanced and is still fun.

Yeah, I'm not seeing cheap and broken. Did you see the EVO 2k9 matches? IIRC there were 5-7 characters being used in the top 8. (Astaroth, Amy, Hilde, Ivy, Cassandra... I forget who else)

Like, if anything in the game is overpowered, it's Hilde's ring out ability, but that goes out the window if the hell-in-the-cell stage comes up.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 09:23:27 PM »
Man I used to spam attacks like crazy with Raphael, he was so cheap yet so good...

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 02:16:02 AM »
Man I used to spam attacks like crazy with Raphael, he was so cheap yet so good...

Yeah he was cheap until everyone realized how to block. All this talk is getting me excited for V, man I was a beast with Astaroth and Voldo! I had memorized every move for those 2, and could affectively use just about every one in a match.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 03:16:46 AM »
SC2 is still my favorite Soul Calibur game, and I've played 'em all (except Broken Destiny--but I'm working on that). Link is also one of the best characters in the roster, especially compared to the other exclusives.

SC3 was fun but it didn't wow me. My friends and I had a good time playing through the adventure mode with all our created characters, though.

SC4 is very fun, but I do have a problem with Starkiller from a balance standpoint. He's just like a WALL after a steady stream of slightly-upwarding challenges. You've been playing Medium and Hard mode, then you get to Starkiller and it's all like GOD MODE, BITCHES.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 03:59:58 AM »
Me and my cousin have made probably hundreds of characters in SC3 and SC4. All the characters from Batman, Movie Monsters, Marvel super heroes...

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 04:22:28 AM »
Me and my cousin have made probably hundreds of characters in SC3 and SC4. All the characters from Batman, Movie Monsters, Marvel super heroes...

I made Captain Morgan and called it good

Offline JasonMaivia

• On the ShyGuy list.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 05:08:48 AM »
I tried creating R. Mika Nanakawa in SC3, but didn't like using tambourines.  She did have a bulldog and tornado DDT as grapples, though.