Author Topic: DS Budget line incoming?  (Read 8068 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
DS Budget line incoming?
« on: May 27, 2011, 11:14:15 PM »
Posted on TheCoverProject.net

Quote from: shenske
Gamestop just got a marketing kit from Nintendo and it came with red colored Nintendo DS cases. My assumption is that Nintendo is finally releasing a budget line for DS games. Who knows though as the cover art that came with it looks normal. All I know is I found the perfect type case for my WonderSwan games!!!

Also, important to note that these are the GBA-less Eco DS cases.

Interesting, no?
I asked for pics...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: DS Budget line incoming?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 12:12:20 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if this is true as I expect it to happen, but it would be nice to see it confirmed. I'm considering getting a DS, especially if the Lite goes on clearance soon, so having a line of the older titles drop to $15 would make it more tempting. I'd even hope for some out-of-print titles like Tetris DS to join them, but I have my doubts about that.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 12:42:25 AM »
"I'm considering getting a DS, especially if the Lite goes on clearance soon,"

Falls down.  How can you can yourself an gamer or even a nintendo fan.  Love my phat DS, best $70 I ever spent. 

Offline ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 12:45:25 AM »
I just check on ebay prices and an phat went for $28 and an lite went for $53.  If you do intend to get one there's quite an selection of used ones with bundles on there too.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 01:02:57 AM »
But those could be well-disguised bootlegs.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 02:04:58 AM »
Actually I did take a quick look at that Fake DS and saddly it's just an refurb unit.  Also, alot of "2nds" do exist but the ones I actually posted were most likely real units.

If people really wanted "cheap" DS then they'll just convert their smart phones over which sadly many people do.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 09:10:48 AM »
Are Eco DS cases the ones with holes in them?  The 3DS cases have holes in them and saving plastic is the only thing I can think of for why.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 01:17:43 PM »
With the holes (that look like the international symbol for recycling) and no GBA holder.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 02:34:07 PM »
I think the 3DS game cases strike a good balance between eco-friendliness and structural integrity. They don't feel nearly as flimsy as the other low-plastic cases I've seen.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 04:07:43 PM »
Falls down.  How can you can yourself an gamer or even a nintendo fan.  Love my phat DS, best $70 I ever spent. 
Here, let me help you up. I just don't really like portables, the DS hurts my hands to hold and is uncomfortable to use, and most games on it aren't as good as console games. But there are a handful of games where I'd put up with the tiny screen to play if the price were right. Buying used systems is a crapshoot, especially with all the DS problems I've heard about, so I'm not doing that. I want a warranty.

And for the record, I don't recall ever calling myself a gamer or a Nintendo fan (which is what I think you were asking there).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 04:37:51 PM »
It sounds like what you really want is a DSi XL.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 05:36:45 PM »
Actually, I've been considering it since it has larger screens and its larger size might help with comfort. I also like the XL colour choices more than the ones still in production for the Lite. However, I don't really care about DSiWare or any of its extra features, so I'm not sure I can justify the higher price. But, we'll see what I find.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 11:46:52 PM »
Odd, I heard about people with large hands having issues with it but still that's after playing for hours straight.  I usually take breaks each hour so the worst I get is blisters on my thumb for smashing the direction pad.

And the safest way to buy used especially on ebay is to ask questions about conditions.  Minor scratches on screens is pretty common but you really can't see them when playing the game. 

"most games on it aren't as good as console games"  Sigh, that simply isn't true unless your just going for presentation value.  For "gameplay" there's plenty of decent titles that can be found only on the DS.  I used to think like you do until I got the GBA.  Sure I ended up playing it more around the house then going anywhere's but once in a blue moon I actually did take it around town--usually each year around Black Friday :).

Also an another tip about your hand, it could be you're to tense?  I have than problem and there's plenty of ergonomics exercises that you can do.  I use the plams/fingers together method and hold it for 4-5 minutes every hour.  It really does make a difference.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 12:21:59 AM »
Nah, I have no issues playing any home system that isn't an NES, so it isn't that. Like the NES controller, the DS Lite is a rectangle with no grips or ergonomics, so it isn't comfortable for me to hold.

Even if a used system were kept in good condition, there is no telling how much use it actually got, so it could face a host of potential problems in the near future. It isn't worth the risk.

I used to own a DS so I have an idea of some of its games. I'm not going to find anything like Super Mario Galaxy on the DS, but this topic isn't about that so I won't go there. I want one mostly for RPGs and puzzle games since the Wii is pretty lacking in both those genres.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 01:14:56 AM »
Did you have the phat or lite?  Anyhow you can just buy the grips. 

As for SMG do you mean 3d platforming or just platformers in general?  Yeah not much loving in the 3d ring but there's plenty of good 2d titles--just finished Kirby's Kanvas Curse (I know it's old but I just got it). 

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 01:47:03 AM »
I had a Lite. I'm not really into buying extra stuff, and the grips I found didn't look like they'd help much, and certainly wouldn't make it as comfortable as a Wiimote + Nunchuk, GameCube, or Classic Controller Pro.

The DS Kirby games are on my list too, I'm a fan of the series. I'd love to see them appear on this DS budget line since the games are out of print, but I'm not expecting that also for that reason.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 07:18:50 AM »
I think the 3DS game cases strike a good balance between eco-friendliness and structural integrity. They don't feel nearly as flimsy as the other low-plastic cases I've seen.

The only way something like that isn't eco-friendly is if it ends up in a landfill. If its something people place on a shelf and never part with it then it isn't a problem. Making cases cheap and flimsy may seem more ecofriendly to some, but if it results in cases getting cracked or broke more often then its more likely people will throw it out and perhaps find a replacement.

So actually, having stuff built solid may be more eco-friendly than building stuff flimsy. In my opinion.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 08:02:47 AM »
Actually, plastic sitting in a landfill isn't really bad for the environment. It won't biodegrade for thousands of years, but that also means it won't break down into anything hazardous; it just sits there. What is bad for the environment, however, is the process of making plastic in the first place, and so it stands to reason that if you're using less plastic it's better.

The design of the 3DS case doesn't feel flimsy to me at all, but it still uses considerably less plastic. Ideally, future console cases will follow suit.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 08:56:16 AM »
Actually, plastic sitting in a landfill isn't really bad for the environment. It won't biodegrade for thousands of years, but that also means it won't break down into anything hazardous; it just sits there. What is bad for the environment, however, is the process of making plastic in the first place, and so it stands to reason that if you're using less plastic it's better.

The design of the 3DS case doesn't feel flimsy to me at all, but it still uses considerably less plastic. Ideally, future console cases will follow suit.
... and forgo plastic for metal. :D  Seriously I think the holes on the 3DS cases is to save money.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 09:29:23 AM »
Well yeah, of course it costing less is a big part of it too.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
What is bad for the environment, however, is the process of making plastic in the first place, and so it stands to reason that if you're using less plastic it's better.

But if something is made durable where it lasts then it saves on making plastic for replacement cases, right?
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 11:29:25 AM »
... and forgo plastic for metal. :D

Works for me. I like the steel book cases that Metroid Trilogy uses. The only thing is, I'm sure its more costly than plastic and it adds to the weight of the product which is a concern to retailers I suppose.

Then again, there's always cardboard... If you treat cardboard good it will last. I still have many NES and SNES cardboard boxes in mint condition because I took good care of them.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 11:52:56 AM »
What is bad for the environment, however, is the process of making plastic in the first place, and so it stands to reason that if you're using less plastic it's better.

But if something is made durable where it lasts then it saves on making plastic for replacement cases, right?

Which goes back to my original point, that the 3DS cases manage to save plastic but not feel flimsy.

J.P. Corbran

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 06:06:41 PM »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 07:56:43 PM »
I hope this is true! Getting games for cheaper is a goal of mine