Author Topic: Fire Emblem 3DS  (Read 5767 times)

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Fire Emblem 3DS
« on: February 16, 2012, 03:44:59 AM »
News;
"Famitsu revealed that Nintendo's Fire Emblem: Kakusei for 3DS will include an option to toggle Permanent Death, a classic feature in the series when a character dies, he/she will be gone forever. The game will have 40 job classes and three difficulty settings, including Normal, Hard and Lunatic."
It's been about 5 years going on 6 since we got an "new" FE game.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem 3DS
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 04:00:42 AM »
nice, i might actually play this now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:03:04 AM »
The option to toggle Permanent Death actually makes me want to get this game less.  Fire Emblem is a gamer status type game.  I say I've beaten any of the Fire Emblem games people know that they are not a walk in the park at any setting.  Being able to Zerg maps would take a lot of that away.  I know I could have cut my Sacred Stone play through by a factor 10 to 100 Zerging the maps if I knew I would get my characters back.  I would have pushed them till only 1 guy was left.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 11:10:12 AM »
well the strategy in the game is actually really easy imo. Just block chokepoints and you're good and on open maps just lure them to attack your tank. Its just the randomness of your healer dying at the last minute that turns me off (and then flushing your time down the toilet). Anyways i'll just leave it at that before the thread gets derailed, especially since there was just a retroactive thread on this. If you feel compelled to reply I'll give you the last word.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:12:57 AM by Lithium »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:38:58 AM »
If you feel compelled to reply I'll give you the last word.
Victory!
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 12:13:42 PM »
Agree with Lithium, FE really only throws in the curve ball when it spawns enemies or lands an critical hit but for the most part the AI in FE is a joke.  Bosses stay on one point (usually an castle) and enemies attack any foe in range regardless of any damage is taken.  Even when you up the challenge the AI stays the same.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 12:20:42 PM »
Another issue I have with FE is the story/recruitment scenes where you have to "talk" to enemies characters to get them to switch sides but you don't have the "required" character on the battlefield at that time.  I wish there was an toggle that forced you to start the map with those characters already selected.

--------------------------------------------------------

Can't recall what FE game it was but I recall having to replay maps 5 or 6 times because one of the guys you recruit kept attacking me and all my characters counter and killed the moron :(.  Freaking pirate--no brains at all.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 12:32:08 PM »
The option to toggle Permanent Death actually makes me want to get this game less.  Fire Emblem is a gamer status type game.  I say I've beaten any of the Fire Emblem games people know that they are not a walk in the park at any setting.  Being able to Zerg maps would take a lot of that away.  I know I could have cut my Sacred Stone play through by a factor 10 to 100 Zerging the maps if I knew I would get my characters back.  I would have pushed them till only 1 guy was left.

So, since no-one else has mentioned it, i'm compelled to.

If it's an option to toggle permanent death, not a requirement, then why should this influence your purchasing decision?  It's like people complaining of the option to use the invinvible tanooki in Super Mario 3D Land. 

Just dont use it!  That way you get to enjoy the game you like it, and people who may have found the permanent death feature something that prohibits them from completing the game will be able to enjoy the game. 

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 03:33:18 PM »

If it's an option to toggle permanent death, not a requirement, then why should this influence your purchasing decision?  It's like people complaining of the option to use the invinvible tanooki in Super Mario 3D Land. 

Just dont use it!  That way you get to enjoy the game you like it, and people who may have found the permanent death feature something that prohibits them from completing the game will be able to enjoy the game. 

This is hard to explain without being face to face.  If I told you I built an Airplane would you be impressed?  I built the whole thing by hand. It also flies.  All that is true.  Are you impressed?  If I then tell you oh by the way it was snap together model kit.  Its no longer impressive.  The opposite is true as well.

How I enjoy the game is discussing it with other having similar experience.  Such a radical change would make it so we wouldn't have similar experience and I wouldn't enjoy the game.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 03:44:51 PM »
I'm all for the permanent death feature. I like knowing that I need to go into each battle fully prepared for what I'm about to face, and that I should be detailed and thorough in the moves I make with each character. That's part of the charm of FE for me. The whole game is one big risk/reward system, and I can't get enough of it.

Speaking of... I'm about to finish (finally!) FE: The Sacred Stones. Last chapter, hooray!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 08:34:39 AM »
Adding the option to toggle permanent death is a good move for the series.  I get why people want to keep permanent death as a necessary part of the Fire Emblem formula, but adding the option will make the game accessible to more people.  In the end, that's what a publisher or developer would want; unless they adapt some things about the game formula, it will never have much of a chance to expand it's already very niche audience.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 09:21:22 AM »
Adding the option to toggle permanent death is a good move for the series.  I get why people want to keep permanent death as a necessary part of the Fire Emblem formula, but adding the option will make the game accessible to more people.  In the end, that's what a publisher or developer would want; unless they adapt some things about the game formula, it will never have much of a chance to expand it's already very niche audience.
I'm afraid that by taking away Permanent Death essentially.  That the game designers will start making large sacrifices needed to finish maps.  That its going to make a semi-complex game even more complex.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 12:55:34 PM »
They are NOT taking permanent death away though. They are just giving you the OPTION to turn it off if you want. I never understand why people don't like it when something optional is added, it was the same way people complained when Nintendo introduced the Super Guide feature, they acted like they would have to use it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 01:03:06 PM »
They are NOT taking permanent death away though. They are just giving you the OPTION to turn it off if you want. I never understand why people don't like it when something optional is added, it was the same way people complained when Nintendo introduced the Super Guide feature, they acted like they would have to use it.
Because experience has stated that even the best developers will now have in the back of there minds, "They can just use this to get through if there having a hard time."  Its like the Idea that is becoming more pervasive that all user now have a lot of Ram in the computers and you shouldn't strive to be conservative with it.  Take WoW as another example.  Deadly Boss Mods (DBM) came and started to simplify bosses to the point Blizzard started to just assume you had DBM when designing Bosses.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 02:14:21 PM »

This is hard to explain without being face to face.  If I told you I built an Airplane would you be impressed?  I built the whole thing by hand. It also flies.  All that is true.  Are you impressed?  If I then tell you oh by the way it was snap together model kit.  Its no longer impressive.  The opposite is true as well.

How I enjoy the game is discussing it with other having similar experience.  Such a radical change would make it so we wouldn't have similar experience and I wouldn't enjoy the game.

You're right.  Your analogy went completely over my head  :D

I guess I see it more as the Cheesecake will still be there, but now you can have it with or without Cherry on top.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 09:28:43 AM »
They haven't talked about it yet but I'm guessing there's going be pros and cons with permanent death off.  One way would be to take away levels/experience gained during the map from downed characters and maybe even taking away all their arms/items they are carrying.
-----------------------------------
Also I might toggle it off during co-op missions (which this FE has) so you don't get screwed over by your allies but for the most part I'm planning on playing with it on. 

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
You know what would be really mean.  To allow you to have that character back.

At there Original Form.  So in Sacred Stones you General Amelia would go all the way back to recruit.  You could end up with a Baby Army in the last mission.

You know I be sadistic enough of a designer to do that.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 09:13:32 AM »
I love the permanent death feature but it's also the reason why I haven't finished an FE game ever.
black fairy tales are better at sports