Author Topic: SD Card Channel!  (Read 21864 times)

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: SD Card Channel!
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2009, 09:32:44 PM »
Hey stratos, i'm not sure if they still do, but Walmart sold me an 2 gig SD card for 5 bucks.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2009, 09:33:42 PM »
I'll check that out, thanks.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2009, 06:37:49 PM »
The Wii memory however applies to all the games you play and even extra content such as messages and channels, so now this possible limit of 100,000 could potentially present a problem sooner than one might think.
I would also wager that the 100k is extremely conservative.
The other day when I was managing my GameCube memory cards, I was thinking about this again. The memory card I got with my GameCube back in 2001 is the one which has always had my Super Smash Brothers Melee data on it. I've played SSBMelee more than I'd care to admit... but I need to use it as an example. I've played over 100,000 matches, and the game saves at least twice per match: once before the match begins, and once when the match is finished. So, that alone would be at least 200,000 writes to my memory card, and that's not counting the saves from playing other modes or from the various other game data which has been saved to it throughout the years.

Obviously the GameCube memory cards can withstand a lot more than the predicted 100,000 writes for flash memory. With the Wii internal memory being tied to the entire system and non-replaceable, I'd think it would be at least up to the quality of GameCube memory cards, if not better considering it was released five years later. Therefore I'd say it's going to be a long time before I (or anyone) had to worry about the Wii internal memory reaching its write limit and possibly becoming corrupted.

A little more on-topic, I still haven't downloaded this update. Hooray me!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 06:40:35 PM by Mop_it_up »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »
I just got a 8GB SDHC card and I'm trying to back up all my Wii saves, but I have a problem.
I can't copy over the saves for the following games:
Mario Kart Wii
The Conduit
Kid Icarus (NES)
Adv. of Lolo (NES)
SSBB
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Animal Crossing Wii

How can I remedy this problem? Why are those the only ones not allowed to be be copied?

SMB2 The Lost Levels (NES) allowed me to copy the save.
The Secret of Mana (SNES) allowed me to copy the save.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2009, 07:21:43 PM »
I can't really explain the VC games, though I think Saved States don't copy to the SD card so that might be their issue. But games with online components won't permit you to copy them over like MK, Conduit, Brawl and AC unless you hack the system.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2009, 07:24:46 PM »
Ahh. so I have to inastall and load the homebrew channel to get those saves backed up?

as far as the VC games go, I have 4 or 5 and all but those 2 let me copy over the saves.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2009, 07:25:13 PM »
I just got a 8GB SDHC card and I'm trying to back up all my Wii saves, but I have a problem.
I can't copy over the saves for the following games:
Mario Kart Wii
The Conduit
SSBB
Animal Crossing Wii
These are online games so they can't be copied because of problems which can occur with duplicate friend codes. The only way to copy them would be though illegitimate means.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2009, 07:30:34 PM »
Yeah, you can't copy them.  I mean, why would you ever need to back them up?

*sigh*
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2009, 07:33:27 PM »
I don't know why the games aren't like Mario Strikers Charged which allows you to copy the save file but just deletes the friend codes when you do. That makes more sense.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2009, 07:40:43 PM »
I don't know why the games aren't like Mario Strikers Charged which allows you to copy the save file but just deletes the friend codes when you do. That makes more sense.

Because companies like Next Level Games, Vicarious Visions and Monster Games are using extreme programming tricks like that and SD card custom soundtracks and DLC that are far beyond the skills of Nintendo's in-house teams apparently.
My Game Collection

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2009, 07:42:33 PM »
The Wii memory however applies to all the games you play and even extra content such as messages and channels, so now this possible limit of 100,000 could potentially present a problem sooner than one might think.
The other day when I was managing my GameCube memory cards, I was thinking about this again. The memory card I got with my GameCube back in 2001 is the one which has always had my Super Smash Brothers Melee data on it. I've played SSBMelee more than I'd care to admit... but I need to use it as an example. I've played over 100,000 matches, and the game saves at least twice per match: once before the match begins, and once when the match is finished. So, that alone would be at least 200,000 writes to my memory card, and that's not counting the saves from playing other modes or from the various other game data which has been saved to it throughout the years.

Obviously the GameCube memory cards can withstand a lot more than the predicted 100,000 writes for flash memory. With the Wii internal memory being tied to the entire system and non-replaceable, I'd think it would be at least up to the quality of GameCube memory cards, if not better considering it was released five years later. Therefore I'd say it's going to be a long time before I (or anyone) had to worry about the Wii internal memory reaching its write limit and possibly becoming corrupted.

...Doesn't Melee only save when you leave the Character select screen for a higher level menu?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2009, 08:04:38 PM »

...Doesn't Melee only save when you leave the Character select screen for a higher level menu?
Interesting late response. No it saves more than that. I've tested it.