Author Topic: Nintendo Retailer Conference (OP updated with stuffs, more when I feel like it)  (Read 67098 times)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Retailer Conference - NOA conference Part II (9 AM PST, Noon EST)
« Reply #350 on: October 03, 2008, 11:56:16 AM »
Ecactly, and who doesnt like Icing on a cake?

Icing sugar and Royal icing is completely unacceptable, and icing, or frosting itself is acceptable within reasonable bakery choices. In fact I can say that any Pastry chef that uses Icing sugar should be stripped of his title as chef. Great pastries are done with non-processed products. /rant

Communists.

Maybe they just can't afford to have sugar.

Diabetics

QFT.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #351 on: October 03, 2008, 11:57:30 AM »
So anybody know a liveblog for today's conference?
Check out PixlBit!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 03, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
"In America, you put icing on cake.  In Russia, cake put icing on YOU"

Sounds hot.

You wouldn't think so if it was this cake
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 03, 2008, 12:01:53 PM »
Do we get any new info today, like impressions and play videos, or is it all embargoed until next week?

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 03, 2008, 12:03:10 PM »
Do we get any new info today, like impressions and play videos, or is it all embargoed until next week?

ign said they are embargoed until monday.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #355 on: October 03, 2008, 12:04:12 PM »
My Jack Gonintendo is having one.I am just setting up.So I will try to find another one.Shy Guy the Embargo will be lifted on Monday.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
- Marc Franklin chatting about WiiWare

- 33 games on WiiWare thus far in North America

- Tetris Party being shown off. If there is any new info, I will let you know.Field Climber mode has a little man that climbs the Tetriminos, and the goal is to build him something to reach the top of the screen. A pretty cool idea.Stage Racer gives you one piece that you have to navigate through a scrolling stage by spinning the piece.Tetris Party is coming ‘very soon’ and will be a global release. 1200 Wii Points.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 12:23:34 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Thanks Maxi, watching GoNintendo's out of desperation.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
I agree with Nick and EasyCure.  I don't think the re-releases are anything to complain about.  They're like a side project.  They don't enhance the Wii library in any meaningful way (since you can just play the GameCube versions if you want), but they don't hurt it either.  I'm glad that some of the more overlooked GameCube games are going to get exposure to a much larger audience.

And Lindy ignores me. Sad :(
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Anybody wanna hit up the chatango? Me and Maxi are in there now...
Check out PixlBit!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
- Boingz is being shown off. Grab antennas to fling the boingz around the level. Puzzle platformer. Each level has multiple boingz that you need to use in order to solve puzzles. Game is entirely physics based, with puzzles having multiple solutions.

- World of Goo will hit WiiWare on October 13th
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 12:33:02 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
You're only complaining about the re-releases nintendo put out but you're ignoring the new games we're getting, probably only for the sake of argument.

I'll admit a big part of it is because of how things worked on the GBA.  It pretty much killed my trust of Nintendo remakes or ports.  We never got a new 2D Mario platformer.  Why?  Because Nintendo just re-released each classic Mario game so they never felt the need to make a new game.  In the end we got New Super Mario Bros but we had to wait for a new portable and it's also 2.5D.  The sprite based Mario platformer is likely never going to happen because people ate up ports.  In 2002 the only Nintendo first party GBA game that wasn't a port was Metroid Fusion.  Damn awesome game but a whole year and only one new GBA game from Nintendo?  Unacceptable.  I didn't buy a GBA to play SNES games I already owned but for a little while that's what Nintendo was giving me.

Nintendo likes ports.  They have historically treated ports as if they "count" as new games.  So I don't trust them.

Plus there is the Star Wars: Special Edition problem.  When companies release new versions of a classic game they rarely also offer up the original.  Like when Square Enix releases the classic Final Fantasy games on the GBA and DS.  Hey these enhanced versions are there for people who want it.  Sounds fine in theory.  But is the original on the VC?  No.  The original remains out-of-print because they're afraid it will cut into sales of the new one.  When Kirby Superstar Ultra was announced the first thing I saw on this forum was concern that the original wouldn't appear on the VC and it probably won't.  You have to get the new version or hunt around on eBay.  Are these Wii-makes going to offer the original game as well?  Probably not.  Want Pikmin 2 the way it was designed to be played?  Tough luck.  Go on eBay and pay a premium.  As someone who is interested in the history of videogame I find it all very annoying, when any company does it.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/915/915956p1.html
http://gonintendo.com/?p=58087
^Some live blogs for those that might have missed it
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
Alright alright- my head is spinning from all the stuff that's been shown yesterday and somewhat a little of today- but spinning nonetheless!
I feel over all the info is great news, but I'm happiest about the Nintendo Club- I hope they send some recognition over to players whoh registered all their crap and got nothing but desktop backgrounds, but I don't expect Nintendo to do anything like that.
I'm most upset about the DSi coming out next month in Japan and here in a year- I just bought a silver DS lite and I would gladly sell it to import the DSi. I read some stuff about it having a region lock, is that true? It could be possible to keep the downloads of DSi points to some sort of minimum so I can see that happening, but is there any official word about it?
I'm for GameCube remakes as long as they're packaged together and priced cheaper than new games. I have Pikmin, but not Pikmin 2- I've tried looking for it and soon gave up so I'm excited to see the series come back and allow people to get familiar with it again.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
But honestly, eveyone bypassed my post, but it proves that the're not just reworking the controls of the game, they're re-tooling the whole game. Jungle Beat didn't have any health points, and by adding them it's basically changing the whole dynamic of the game.

I don't like that.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Yeah, I can't imagine how it'll work. And how does that guy only have 49 beats up to that point. If you don't lose beats by getting hurt (lose hearts instead), it'll make the game a lot weaker, and new players wont appreciate and understand it as much.

I think a cool game to Wiimake would be Super Smash Bros Melee. Imagine how cool Super Smash Bros would be with Wii controls. LOL
Want Pikmin 2 the way it was designed to be played?  Tough luck.  Go on eBay and pay a premium.
In my opinion it's really tough **** that you didn't buy it when it came out. That's directed not at you but those people who would complain about that. Support games at their prime. BUY DE BLOB LOLOLOLOL
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 02:24:09 PM by Mario »

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
Yeah, 49 beats by that point is horrendous. I'm really dreading the outpout of this game on the Wii. I can see how they can replicate the "drumming", but the "clapping" has to be done by a button, which again will ruin the whole game.

Also I can't even fathom how there can be a loss of a heart by that stage of the level. If I'm remebering correctly, there's only one enemy before that point of the level, and it can't damage you. This really has me worried.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
When it comes down to it, you need to own that game on the GC. Just like the shitty racing game they moved over to Wii, the entire allure was gone when the drumming was replaced with aggravating waggle.

The two control structures engage you in completely different ways, as such the applications of each are different.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
I think they need to pick the right games to port over. By the looks of it Jungle Beat is ruined, it's shouldn't have been considered if they're going to change the core gameplay. But I think a game like Pikmin can really benefit from Wii controls. Pikmin was born to be played on Wii, and I hope the "Wii-make" proves this.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
But honestly, eveyone bypassed my post, but it proves that the're not just reworking the controls of the game, they're re-tooling the whole game. Jungle Beat didn't have any health points, and by adding them it's basically changing the whole dynamic of the game.

It also shows they're putting a lot more work into this then they really need to.  Hypothetically the effort put towards these Wiimakes could be put towards new games - particularly when they could just re-release the Cube versions, advertise backwards compatibility and make sure Cube controllers and memory cards are in stores.

It also shows that Nintendo can never resist tinkering which is why I can't stand their re-releases.  Even little things like Link having a voice in the GBA version of LttP drives me nuts.  Thankfully the VC now makes the real version easy to get.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile

It also shows they're putting a lot more work into this then they really need to.  Hypothetically the effort put towards these Wiimakes could be put towards new games - particularly when they could just re-release the Cube versions, advertise backwards compatibility and make sure Cube controllers and memory cards are in stores.

It also shows that Nintendo can never resist tinkering which is why I can't stand their re-releases.  Even little things like Link having a voice in the GBA version of LttP drives me nuts.  Thankfully the VC now makes the real version easy to get.

Thankfully not many people think like you. Really this argument about Nintendo could "theoretically" be making other games is just as silly now as in the past. Nintendo is HUGE and they can make many games at once and these games more than likely use minimal resources. The same applies to any big publisher like EA, Take-Two, THQ, etc etc, they can actually multitask.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
True. Sprucing up an old game and porting it over to new hardware can't be as resource demanding as making a new game from scratch. Can it? Nintendo is an extremely massive and wealthy (especially lately) game developer, and they have no problem doing all that they do simultaneously.

Following Ian's logic, maybe Nintendo should just drop out of the hardware business so they have more resources to focus on new Video games...
is your sanity...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Also I can't even fathom how there can be a loss of a heart by that stage of the level. If I'm remebering correctly, there's only one enemy before that point of the level, and it can't damage you. This really has me worried.

Maybe the hearts are the enemy's life meter?  This way you know how strong the enemy is so you can properly time when to end your attack.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile

I don't like that.

Neither. But I probably won't be buying it - even if they didn't make those changes the bongos are just way more satisfying. I'm just disappointed that so many people will judge the game on the Wii controls rather than how it was supposed to be played.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Chris Kohler interviews Cammie Dunaway

Wired.com: A friend of mine was asking: Now that Nintendo has expanded its sales and marketing team into San Francisco, when might we get a Nintendo World store in the city?

Cammie Dunaway: Interesting question. Certainly not something that we’re working on right now. New York has been a great flagship store for us, we do a lot of events there. So, no plans. But, good idea.

Wired.com: The DSi. Nintendo has traditionally not added things like cameras or music players to its consoles because it concentrates on game play. And where Sony went off the rails with PSP and opened the door for Nintendo, it put too much of that into PSP. How is the DSi not a red-ocean product?

Dunaway: It's very much centered in gaming experiences and interactive entertainment experiences. What we like to do is make things fun, and so when you start taking pictures and superimposing people’s faces onto someone else's body, and surrounding it with graffiti and sharing it with a friend, it’s just fun. I think we’ll see people do interesting things with it, incorporating the functionality into games. Gaming has to be at the heart of it.

Wired.com: Is Nintendo going to introduce retail cartridge software that's only playable on the DSi?

Dunaway: There are no plans, no announcements right now. But certainly, as we've historically done, you’ll see us do interesting things with software to take advantage of the hardware capabilities. As Mr. Iwata talked about last night, this new memo pad is one of the cool technologies. It's not necessarily a game, but it certainly enables people to act as an animator and use their photographs in an interesting and entertaining way.

Wired.com: So right now, the only DSi-only software is downloadable.

Dunaway: Right, the Brain Age games, etc.

Wired.com: Will that be region-locked? Can I buy a U.S. DSi and access the software that Japanese consumers can download?

Dunaway: I believe that just as you can currently buy a DS in Japan and use it here in the U.S., that you should be able to do that with DSi.

Wired.com: Travelers buy portable gaming systems overseas a lot.

Dunaway: Exactly, I carry around my Ice Blue DS because I like the color, and I could find it in Japan and couldn’t find it here.

Wired.com: The Nintendo DS Lite. I think the big question is: Is the DSi a product that’s going to sit on shelves next to the DS Lite, or is it a replacement for the DS Lite?

Dunaway: Right now we’re still working through what the strategy's going to be here. But we think that there's huge untapped potential for the DS Lite. Because when you’ve got only one in every five households in the U.S., compared to one in every two in Japan, it says there's potential.

You’ve seen some of the work we’ve done this year with celebrities, that we're bringing a lot of new consumers in to the DS. So I think there’s opportunity for both of them to coexist for some period of time.

Wired.com: The Nintendo DS Lite costs significantly less in the U.S. than it does in Japan. Do you see something similar happening with DSi?

Dunaway: I don't know what the pricing is going to be here, but certainly it is going to be a premium over what our current DS is priced at.

Wired.com: On the DS, one of the biggest selling games right now is Guitar Hero, which would not work on DSi. Is this something you’ve discussed with Activision?

Dunaway: Activision, and particularly the guys at Vicarious Visions, are great partners. And they have understood how to use the unique features of the DS. And so we expect that they’ll come up with ways to innovate on DSi too.

Wired.com: Having had a lot of time to think about E3, what would you say are the lessons learned?

Dunaway: Before E3, at E3, our strategy has always been to make games for everyone. But we recognize that people were disappointed because we didn’t show the full breadth of the portfolio at E3. In hindsight, we should have shown Wario, should have shown Rhythm Heaven. So we were excited to be able to show today, yes, there are games for everybody.

Wired.com: In Japan, Mr. Iwata announced a line of GameCube games that would be brought to the Wii and enhanced with Wii controls, like Metroid Prime and Pikmin. Nintendo didn’t have any announcements on that today. Is that something that you’d be considering for this market?

Dunaway: We did have no announcements today, but we were not trying to announce the full lineup of 2009’s first half. There will be more news to come.

Wired.com: In Japan, I feel like it’s easier to explain to people the nature of products like this — a GameCube port with Wii controls. In the U.S., it might be more difficult to sell that. Do you see that as being a challenge?

Dunaway: I think it would be particularly important here in the U.S. that hard-core gamers knew it was a port of a GameCube game. Whereas expanded audience members see it as an entirely new experience, something that's in the spirit of some of the other games that they’re coming to enjoy. You’d have to be sure that your messages were clear to both audiences, and a little bit different to both audiences.

Wired.com: There are quite a few games that are out in Japan or Europe that we're not hearing about for the U.S. — Disaster: Day of Crisis, Fatal Frame, Captain Rainbow (which I don’t think is coming out here).... Is Disaster off the table for the United States? Is this going to happen?

Dunaway: We just haven’t been talking about Disaster right now. But you’ve seen with Sin and Punishment, which hadn't come to the U.S. before, that we’re definitely looking at what people are responding to in Japan and seeing if there’s a way to bring it over here.

Wired.com: So on the new storage solution for Wii, let me see if I understand this correctly. You’re downloading games to an SD card.

Dunaway: So basically what we’re trying to do is make it easier for people. We know that there have been a lot of workarounds and a lot of steps to save to an SD card. So it’s a combination of making it an easier interface, not having to go through as many menus to do the saving and then enabling people to save a game that they want to buy from WiiWare directly to an SD card.

Wired.com: Do you think Wii supply is going to catch up to demand in 2009? Are we going to see Wii in an in-stock situation next year?

Dunaway: You know, it’s anybody’s guess. None of us know what the ceiling of the demand is. When we look at how we’re doing in an equivalent period to, say, PS2, we’re still outselling that at 22 months. We’re going to have a lot of product in the marketplace this holiday — 50% more Wii consoles than last holiday.

Wired.com: Tell me about Club Nintendo. You made a small announcement about this — can you share any more details?

Dunaway: No more details. We’re still working out what all the prizes are going to be. We’d love to hear ideas from the fanbase about what kind of things they’d like to see included in Club Nintendo. You will be able to take over some of the points that you have in your current My Nintendo account. It won’t necessarily be all titles, but some Wii and DS titles. We want people to be able to start off with some points. And it’s going to work similar to the way it works in Japan and Europe. Where you get credit for purchasing games and filling out surveys, credit for indicating advance interest in titles ... those same features.

Wired.com: Yeah, because in Japan if you pre-order a game and buy it, you get extra points for pre-ordering, you get extra points for buying it sooner rather than later, and you get extra points on the back end for filling out a survey about it. So if you’re really dedicated you can get a whole lot of points.

But the issue is: We’ve got Club Nintendo in Europe and Japan, but in Europe it’s about virtual prizes like wallpapers. In Japan it’s physical goods. Is that what we’re looking at for America, the prizes?

Dunaway: It’s going to be a blend of both. Over the first year you’ll see more physical prizes. We’d like to figure out ways to get interesting digital prizes as well, but that’s more for phase two. If you have good ideas, shoot 'em to me.

Wired.com: The internet wants me to ask about a Nintendo DS game called Soma Bringer, and whether that’s coming to the United States.

Dunaway: Okay, I’ve got to write these down. I’m not familiar with it.

Wired.com: It’s an RPG made by Monolith Soft, which is a company that Nintendo owns in Japan. It’s a role-playing game for Nintendo DS with participation by some relatively well-known RPG designers, and it’s not announced for U.S. at this point.

Dunaway: It’s not on my radar right now, but I will make sure that we put it on the radar.

Wired.com: They want to know about Mother 3. Another very popular role-playing game that Nintendo did, on the Game Boy Advance, that never came out.

Dunaway: It sounds like there’s an overall theme here about people being interested in these games that have not come to the United States.

Wired.com: Oh, and someone’s asking about Professor Layton 2. Now, you’re in the Professor Layton club with me, so why is this not announced yet?

Dunaway: I am in the Professor Layton club. Hopefully, we’ll see that one.

Wired.com: I certainly hope so. Okay, apparently they’re all just asking about Soma Bringer.

Dunaway: Tell them I’m putting stars by that one in my notebook. Are people excited about Fire Emblem?

Wired.com: I think so. I think that there’s plenty of stuff in the pipeline, but people are just hoping that a lot of the games that are in Japan are coming over here.

Last question. Tell me what you know about Punch-Out.

Dunaway: I know that it was really popular 15 years ago, and that it’s been sitting there with latent demand. So we’re bringing it out in the first part of the year and we’re really excited about that.

Wired.com: It looks like a pretty straightforward remake of the classic game, with a lot of the same boxers. Is that your understanding of it?

Dunaway: Yeah, that is my understanding. It’s got the ... who’s the big character ... Big Eddie.

Wired.com: King Hippo.

Dunaway: King Hippo!
Alexis, she/her/Miss