Author Topic: More Virtual Console Details  (Read 10319 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
More Virtual Console Details
« on: November 12, 2006, 04:51:13 PM »
Let's just say I hope you weren't counting on rumble or online play.

Computer and Video Games ran a follow-up interview to their previous question and answer session with Nintendo about the Virtual Console and uncovered some new information about the system.    

The Nintendo 64 marked the first first-party inclusion of rumble technology in console video games.  However, Virtual Console does not support rumble and so downloaded N64 games will not be able to use that feature.    

Other than rumble support, Nintendo stressed that games running on the Virtual Console are "faithful recreations" of the originals with absolutely no alterations or enhancements.  In particular, this means that there will be no fixes for games with slowdown, and multiplayer games cannot be played over the Internet.    

Many people have wondered how buttons will be mapped considering the classic controller deviates from the design of the Nintendo 64 controller.  Controller layout will be determined on a game-by-game basis and controller layouts will be detailed in the included electronic manual.    

When asked whether GameCube controllers would continue to be manufactured and sold, Nintendo responded that no firm plans have been announced, but "GameCube accessories are still available from all good retailers."    

Though they vary in size, the average size for NES downloads is 1MB, with 5MB for SNES games, and 32MB for N64 games.  Each downloaded game receives its own channel on the Wii Channels screen and can be moved around to suit the user, but are not grouped by system.    

Nintendo also stated that 2000 point Wii cards would be available for purchase online as well as in retailers.  That statement along with previously released info implies that Wii points will initially only be available in blocks of 2000 no matter where they are purchased.    

More Virtual Console games will be announced at a later date and begin release in 2007.

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:More Virtual Console Details
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 05:56:53 PM »
you think Nintendo will have an "enhanced VC games" channel in the future to try and resell you the same VC games you already bought?

I think online multiplayer, framerate fixes and even hardware boosted graphics could really be a HUGE selling point to repurchasing lots of these older games. Imagine Goldeneye with crisper textures, no slowdown and also running in 4player online play. If that doesn't sell 1 million easily I don't know what other VC games would.  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: More Virtual Console Details
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 06:02:17 PM »
giving each there own channel makes no sense to me as there is a hard limit on the number of channels....
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 06:16:22 PM »
*sigh*
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Shin Gallon

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 06:17:40 PM »
The lack of rumble feature is disappointing, especially considering Starfox 64 was the first console game to ever have that feature. Still, I'm really into the whole VC idea, so I can live without that.
"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 06:19:44 PM »
You know, I have to wonder at this point.

Given all the stupid bullsh*t going on the with the VC, it's almost like they are actively discouraging it.

I know that isn't the case, as it is a big cash grab, but damn.  It's like they literally cannot figure out how to screw it up even more.  This absolutely pales in comparison to XBLA in terms of polish.

I'm not even talking disappoint on a "man I wanted online play for old games" stuff.  I'm talking about just emulating them well and thinking about particulars like total functionality like rumble.  

Microsoft doesn't have a library to compare to the VC, but when they pick up big names like Contra and (potentially I think) Symphony of the Night, it just makes the VC look more and more poor.  Which is really disappointing, as I thought Nintendo was going to hold their own on this one, considering they are unmatched in what it can offer.

I had better hear some good news soon, like we CAN transfer to SD cards, or there is going to be some ass to kick.  
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 06:41:07 PM »
Hey. I'll give you $10 not to buy a Wii. Then we'll both be happy..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 06:49:25 PM »

Originally posted by: Pale
giving each there own channel makes no sense to me as there is a hard limit on the number of channels....

Yeah, I don't understand how that's gonna work...
GOREGASM!

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 06:53:26 PM »
The only negative I see is no rumble.  No biggie.  I gave that up with my Wavebird, and the tradeoff was worth it.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 07:32:02 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
Hey. I'll give you $10 not to buy a Wii. Then we'll both be happy..

Touche.

You bitch.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 07:32:41 PM »
Isn't it still true you can stack your channels. It's too bad about the points cards, you need $20 for a $4 game.. the difference is almost as much as a nunchuk.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 07:34:50 PM »
Rumble doesn't really matter to me since I rarely used the Rumble Pak. Didn't they say at E3 that some VC games would get enhancements?

It's been mentione, but I am worried about what they plan to do space-wise since there are only 48 channels total. I don't want to have to delete and re-download games if that 48 gets filled up. I want to have faith, but it seems like every new VC announcment makes it seem worse (like releasing almost all crappy games this year and saving the good games for next year).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 09:30:43 PM »
I think we all need to take a deep breath and relax. Let's give Nintendo some slack for the time being, we all have to realize that not only is this Nintendo's first multimedia machine with lots of functions (including true support for Wi-fi online) but the first time they have had anything like the virtual console. There are going to be growing pains, and that includes the virtual console. Microsoft didn't develop Live or even their Live Arcade overnight, it took many months (in fact years if you count Xbox), so let's not lose hope PRELAUNCH.

Remember for the first time ever Nintendo can actually update the Wii interface, including virtual console games. So definately express your concerns but don't spread doom and gloom or nothing is going to be improved, think of the Wii as a new step for NIntendo and they need our help to evolve the system.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 12:09:13 AM »

Originally posted by: Strell
Microsoft doesn't have a library to compare to the VC, but when they pick up big names like Contra and (potentially I think) Symphony of the Night...

...what?  What?  WHAT?  Fantastic.  I really hope the rumours of Bomberman Saturn come true as well.
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline Tansunn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 01:21:03 AM »
Without the rumble in the controller, a lot of people are going to be confused when they pick up the Stone of Agony in Ocarina of Time...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 02:03:47 AM »
The only disappointment is the lack of frame rate fixes.  It would have been nice to smooth those out.  The others aren't a big deal for me.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 02:16:08 AM »
I bet it has to do with the idea that developers 'swapped' between controller pak and rumble pak while the game was on.

So yeah, what are they going to do about the Stone of Agony? They could at least add support to games that DONT use the controller pak.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006, 03:30:40 AM »
Redownloading won't be a big deal as most games are so small...

That is, as long as they create save files on the normal system memory in the same way Wii games will.  I don't want high scores and stuff getting erased.

Speaking of High scores... are these truly direct ports?  Meaning, will classic NES games that didn't have battery saves like Ice Climber and Balloon Fight add the ability to save high scores?  I mean, they already did that much in Animal Crossing and the GBA ports...  If they don't have high scores I will be significantly disappointed.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline getter77

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 04:04:29 AM »
Where in the world are they getting 1MB NES downloads?  Even some of the biggest fan trans games like Chronicles of the Radia War didn't even break half of that IIRC.

Lack of rumble is BS...the least they could do is try to spin it by saying something retarded like "we thought we'd try copying the PS3 for a change"

No online multiplayer/co-op=FAILURE  Here's hoping they wise up ASAP and start to gain this feature at the very least

Jeez, it is not complicated at all for Nintendo to beat out the fan emulators and give people an enriched classic experience.
The Exiled Videogame Enthusiast

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 04:32:03 AM »
Anyone who really thought Nintendo was going to add online multiplayer was dreaming.  It's a huge technical undertaking... I mean, look how well Contra on Live Arcade worked out.  
---------------------

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2006, 06:48:06 AM »
What about Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley and stuff like that, are we going to be able to use the Wii Remote as a pointer to play those games? I am pissed about the whole rumble thing but, really I won't be buying too many VC games anyway because I have all the old systems and most of the good games on those systems. But I definitely would love to play the old light gun NES games again with a controller that doesn't suck terribly.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2006, 10:20:10 AM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
What about Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley and stuff like that, are we going to be able to use the Wii Remote as a pointer to play those games? I am pissed about the whole rumble thing but, really I won't be buying too many VC games anyway because I have all the old systems and most of the good games on those systems. But I definitely would love to play the old light gun NES games again with a controller that doesn't suck terribly.

I am concerned as well about the light gun games, but there may be a solution. From what I understand you could theoretically program the sensor to act like a light gun by telling it when you are pointing at the TV by calibrating it (I think you can do it with Zelda), or even where on the TV you are pointing (Maybe by using the cursor and clicking when you are on certain spots of your TV). I dunno though, I may be absolutely wrong (probaly I am lol) but I would like to see how Nintendo is going to rectify this because a reticle would ruin a game like duck hunt.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2006, 01:24:13 PM »

Originally posted by: getter77
Where in the world are they getting 1MB NES downloads?

Don't forget that they come with a digital manual.

Aaron Kaluszka

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2006, 01:30:52 PM »

Anyone who really thought Nintendo was going to add online multiplayer was dreaming.  It's a huge technical undertaking... I mean, look how well Control on Live Arcade worked out.

It's tricky, but not a huge undertaking.  It's been done properly before with XBand, and more recently with Fuzziqer's GameCube Control Sim.  Selecting the memory addresses necessary to sync games (and not just control inputs like a lot of emulators and XBLA do) has to be done on a case by case basis, but it's totally within the realm of possibility.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2006, 01:33:37 PM »

Originally posted by: MegaByte

Anyone who really thought Nintendo was going to add online multiplayer was dreaming.  It's a huge technical undertaking... I mean, look how well Control on Live Arcade worked out.

It's tricky, but not a huge undertaking.  It's been done properly before with XBand, and more recently with Fuzziqer's GameCube Control Sim.  Selecting the memory addresses necessary to sync games (and not just control inputs like a lot of emulators and XBLA do) has to be done on a case by case basis, but it's totally within the realm of possibility.

Well I haven't tried it but I heard that Contra for Xbox Arcade has a terrible online mode, so it can't be that easy to do!