Author Topic: Soul Calibur Legends Scan  (Read 24246 times)

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Soul Calibur Legends Scan
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2007, 09:37:43 PM »
I'm just saying....

Your reasons for buying a game has been a bit......how should I put this.......arbitrary?
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Soul Calibur Legends Scan
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2007, 09:49:17 PM »
You two better watch it, the overlord moderators may warn you two.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2007, 09:57:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Requiem
I'm just saying....

Your reasons for buying a game has been a bit......how should I put this.......arbitrary?

*shrug* I can definitely agree with that perception. I believe I've made a conscious decision to take more risks in my game purchases, to be more open, and be less... fanboyish... in my spending habits.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2007, 09:59:02 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

I'm just saying....

*shrug* I can definitely agree with that perception. I believe I've made a conscious decision to take more risks in my game purchases, to be more open, and be less... fanboyish... in my spending habits.

Buying good games is never fanboish :-P.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2007, 09:59:45 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

I'm just saying....

Third parties don't care. &P

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2007, 11:53:35 PM »
I really really really really really ....really really hope that SC4 somehow makes its way to Wii. I'm still slightly miffed that even after SC2 sold hands down the BEST on Gamecube that PS2 got an exclusive release of 3 and now 4 skips over the hottest new system this generation.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2007, 03:03:00 AM »
I can see why they wouldn't want to bother with it.  It be more a of a logistic nightmare.  Though if done well personally I probably prefer Legends anyways.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2007, 11:12:51 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

I'm just saying....

Third parties don't care. &P

Why do you feel the need to support their crap? So you can what; give them a reason to make more crap?

Sure third party games don't sell well on Nintendo systems, but that doesn't stop them from making games for the DS. If the system's hot, then that's enough of a reason to develop for it right there. And if there game plummets, they can make all the excuses they want, but they'll have to come to terms sooner or later and realize it is because they suck!

Let them learn their lesson! It is a good thing that only quality games get bought. Your reasoning goes against that.

If you want my advice, stop buying filth. Expand your horizons but do cautiously, not arbitrarily. And for the love of GOD, continue to buy QUALITY titles.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2007, 11:57:24 AM »
But that's just it. The rest of you think that FarCry is crap. It isn't. It's a horrible port graphics wise, but the GAME, the actual GAMEPLAY is FUN! That's what Nintendo has trained me for all my life, to open my eyes and concentrate on FUN, on GAMEPLAY. This is what it means to be a Nintendo gamer. But everyone just stares at FarCry's framerate and turns up their nose. That's not how we were taught to play games!

And as a Nintendo fan how do we respond to the criticism that we only buy Nintendo games? I will NOT be part of a prejudiced, close-minded problem. That's another thing we should learn as N-fans, that innovation isn't lip service, it's an opportunity for everybody. It's there, everyday, for us to take part in. How many of you bought HeatSeekers? Not many huh? How many of you bought Rogue Squadron?  That's the THING! They're the SAME ESSENTIAL GAME with minor differences in style, but for some reason you're not going to give HeatSeeker, the one with MOTION CONTROLS, a chance. It isn't stamped with a Nintendo logo, you don't give it a second thought. This is exactly OPPOSITE of what we should be learning from Nintendo!

And you know what? I'm willing to let third parties learn their lesson. I've been doing that for the GC and the N64 and even for the Wii. I'm never buying a Tony Hawk game ever again, for example, and though this is first party, I'm turning my nose up at Big Brain Academy, a HUGE bleh on the DS that I remember well. Oh, and Pangya is a BIG no no.

But PUNISHMENT is NOT the key to better relationships, in fact, PUNISHMENT should be avoided, since it creates bad air between the parties. And guess what? All Nintendo fans are punishing third parties over and over again.

Not only does this create mistrust in third parties (our games don't sell on Nintendo consoles) it also creates LEARNED HELPLESSNESS (they don't even want to try now that they can, they see the Wii as a port machine and the place for cheap, third-string teams). (look it up, this stuff is right out of basic college psychology)

You know what happens in learned helplessness experiments? They put a dog in a room, with a small barrier in the middle. The floor emits an electric shock and the dog jumps the fence to avoid it. But there's an electric shock on the OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE TOO! After a while the dog learns it can't escape the pattern, it huddles in a corner, and just waits to die. Then, even if they stop shocking the other side of the fence, the dog DOES NOT EVEN TRY ANYMORE. The dog can escape but it's COMPLETELY GIVEN UP. Third parties are that dog, and Nintendo consumers are the ones giving the shocks.

I REFUSE to be part of that. POSITIVE reinforcement, as a means of SHAPING (another psych term) behavior through rewards for continued incremental progress towards a goal is my pattern. Encouragement, positive regard, and cheering for third parties when they crawl, then stand, then walk, the run. Now they're putting some heart and soul into making games for the Wii (Rayman Raving Rabbids), now they're actually INNOVATING when everyone expects them to be mediocre (Boogie), now they're adding 32-player support for ONLINE (Medal of Honor for Wii this fall).

I'm not supporting crap games. I'm supporting sparks of innovation, sparks of quality, sparks of belief and ambition.

And I'm NOT going to be that Nintendo consumer with his hand on the button, continually opting to electrocute the dog, then turning around and asking why the dog isn't even getting up anymore now that I've stopped jamming my thumb on the switch.  

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2007, 12:35:15 PM »
Rogue Squadron isn't a Nintendo first party game.  Plenty of people bought it and liked it, as you implied.  Your entire argument falls apart right there.  A quality third party title was successful on a Nintendo platform.  Of course, you think just because they have somewhat similar gameplay, they must be equivalent.  There can't be any reason in your mind why one has an average score of 63 and the other 90, can there?

If you're so convinced that voting with your wallet works, what message do you think you're sending Nintendo when you turn up your nose at perfect 10, AAA games because you want to throw third parties a bone they don't even deserve?

If third parties are a dog, then Far Cry: Vengeance is a urine stain on the carpet.  You don't reward that.  You rub the dog's nose in it and say "NO" in a stern voice.  If Ubisoft's apology is worth anything, then we may have finally got them housebroken.  That's a whole lot better than trying to have fun on a wet smelly carpet.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2007, 12:43:54 PM »
The psychological point I was trying to prove is still valid because RS has been tied so closely to Nintendo's systems, they've never been on any other so that for all intents and purposes, many fans considered Factor 5 a second party.

And what games have I turned my nose up at in the recent past? Super Paper Mario I borrowed and realized was neat, but I've NEVER liked the Paper Mario series except for the N64 one. Maybe New Super Mario Bros. (in which case, I assure you, Nintendo KNOWS they did a good job with almost 5 mil. + sold in Japan alone), but were there any other omg amazing games I've missed out on?

And I still don't get where the Far Cry hate is coming from. It's really got the best controls of the first generation of FPS games for the Wii. Yes, Ubi should be ashamed of their port job, but you don't throw the baby out with the bath water, and if you're not a graphics whore, the game's one glaring flaw instantly evaporates.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2007, 12:55:54 PM »
"But that's just it. The rest of you think that FarCry is crap. It isn't. It's a horrible port graphics wise, but the GAME, the actual GAMEPLAY is FUN! That's what Nintendo has trained me for all my life, to open my eyes and concentrate on FUN, on GAMEPLAY. This is what it means to be a Nintendo gamer. But everyone just stares at FarCry's framerate and turns up their nose. That's not how we were taught to play games!"

It's funny how this "Nintendo is all gameplay" stuff gets brought up when historically Nintendo has made some the most amazing looking games of their time.  If anything Nintendo is all about the completely package and that includes amazing graphics.  It's only when Nintendo skimps on graphics that this "gameplay over graphics" junk gets brought up.  Most of Nintendo's greatest games had graphics that blew everyone away when they were released.

Kairon your whole attitude relies too much on the theoretical concepts of innovation, like I'm supposed to reward all attempts.  It's an entertainment industry.  I buy the good games, the SUCCESSFUL attempts at innovation.  If a third party tries to make a good game but fails why the hell should I give them my money?  The game is supposed to be fun not just potentially fun.  I don't go see movies that have good concepts but lousy execution.

Plus I think you're giving game companies too much credit.  Often when a crappy game is made the company is well aware of it but tries to con us into buying it anyway.  Bad products are tricks to steal our money.  You see it everywhere in business.  Sometimes there was never any intention of making a good product.  The goal was just to make a product and sell it and if it happened to be good that was just a bonus.  Ubisoft's goal for example with their early Wii games was to have product on store shelves for the Wii launch and they obviously did not care what the final product was like as long as it was available for sale.  Maybe the developers wanted the game to be good but the big corporation that makes the big money doesn't care so it's silly to reward that.

I'd rather have no support than crappy support.  To me it's the same thing and at least with no support the offending party is getting just a little bit less money.  I'm not friends with jerks and I'm not a customer of anyone that tries to rip me off.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2007, 01:00:29 PM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear
ROf course, you think just because they have somewhat similar gameplay, they must be equivalent.  There can't be any reason in your mind why one has an average score of 63 and the other 90, can there?

Well, it's obvious that one has a better franchise and does a better job pushing out maximizing graphics. And let's not rule out some level of irrationality in those scores. After all, Eternal Darkness got a 90 too... feh.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2007, 01:04:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
If a third party tries to make a good game but fails why the hell should I give them my money?  The game is supposed to be fun not just potentially fun.  I don't go see movies that have good concepts but lousy execution.

I don't argue against that. I'm just saying that there's less failure out there than you think.

For example, DoA movie. Dud right? Critically panned? But if you watch it, you'll realize that it's a greatly entertaining watch, a neat popcorn flick, and directed by cory yuen, the guy who coreographed the Matrix.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2007, 07:42:38 PM »
I persist in being positive. Reading this hands-on E3 impression helps.

There's more to read, but here's a tidbit:

Some characters will even require unique manipulation of the Wiimote, like Ivy. Instead of slashing, whip-like motions will be employed to snare opponents and cause some havoc.

All characters have individual special moves as well. By far the coolest part of the E3 build of the demo is Mitsurugi's special move. By turning the Wiimote with your wrist so the buttons face down, Mitsurugi will sheathe his sword in preparation for a strike. By then whipping the Wiimote forward, he unleashes the pent up energy on enemies. So very satisfying and badass.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2007, 09:00:46 PM »
I think we should have figured out by now that deep down, Kairon just doesn't like Nintendo games. Sure, he's in love with the idea of Miyamoto's game philosophy, and the idea of Nintendo striving for innovation. But when he actually plays the games, he can't enjoy (many of) them. But, of course, he can't admit this to us or even himself, so he keeps his self-proclaimed "Nintendo fanboy" title, buys Nintendo hardware but instead, buys mediocre third party games.

So you get comments like "I don't think Nintendo wants me to buy New Super Mario Bros" and "Pikmin 2 just didn't have the Miyamoto magic!" and "I don't need to play Nintendo games to know that they are good" (that's just stupid) and "I don't 'get' Super Mario Galaxy" and "Third parties need my money!" and "Twilight Princess is awful, Aonuma can't direct" and "I've never liked Metroid since Gunpei Yokoi made it and Miyamoto didn't" and "I never liked the Game Boy since Gunpei Yokoi made it and Miyamoto didn't" etc, etc.

I think he actually likes Smash Bros though.  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2007, 09:08:12 PM »
Of course, Satoru Iwata made tha... *KABLLLLOOOOIIIIEEEEEE*

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2007, 09:08:21 PM »
/retracted.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2007, 11:27:56 AM »
1up says Legends has seen some improvement.

I don't believe them.  Namco should've revived FRAME CITY KILLER starring Steven Seagal so you could have gunplay and wicked AIKIDO hand-waving that would've made much better use of the Wii Remote.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2007, 02:16:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo

Originally posted by: ThePerm
i hope its more lile sc2 and not like sc3, sc3 i played and did not like

ThePerm is out of the loop. Soul Calibur Legends isn't a fighting game.

awesome than. Soul Calibur 2 is perfect imho anyways
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Terranigma Freak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2007, 02:47:00 AM »

It's funny how this "Nintendo is all gameplay" stuff gets brought up when historically Nintendo has made some the most amazing looking games of their time. If anything Nintendo is all about the completely package and that includes amazing graphics. It's only when Nintendo skimps on graphics that this "gameplay over graphics" junk gets brought up. Most of Nintendo's greatest games had graphics that blew everyone away when they were released.

LOL. Are you freaking serious? Maybe 1 or 2 games here and there, but the Nintendo games are full of great ART than great graphics. Mario 64 was THE game to show off the N64's graphical capabilities and the same is true for Mario World, but they're easily eclipsed by many of the other later games. Rare's games all surpass Nintendo's own offerings, but they're not Nintendo. As for the GC era, I can understand how you came to such a conclusion. The complete utter lack of effort from 3rd parties alone easily made Nintendo's games look better than anything out there. Even on the N64, there were more 3rd party games that really pushed the system compared to the GC. All of the great 3rd party N64 graphics blows away whatever Nintendo had to offer late into the N64's lifespan.

You're confusing great art with great graphics.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2007, 04:36:40 AM »
I think I've said it before, but Nintendo makes supremely functional graphics.  Nintendo would rather reduce load times and produce huge draw distances and acceptable framerates than come up with the slickest looking game on the system.  F-Zero X is one of the best examples of this: it allows four players and it runs at 60 FPS 99% of the time, but it got ragged on for the plain graphics.  That was the price of offering functionality.  By comparison, Wipeout 64 actually removes most of the details from the track to accomodate a four player mode.  It also features noticeable load times for some inexplicable reason.

Uh...oh, right, Soul Calibur Legends.  I hope this one turns out well, I've heard mixed impressions so far.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2007, 05:51:34 AM »
oh lol i guess this is the Dragon Blade game we're supposed to get.  

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2007, 12:24:32 AM »
I see how Namco is, they find out that no one likes their crappy spin off game no matter how much they show it off so they add (spoiler new character) Loyd from ToS in it to hopes that I would want to play their crappy game.  It does not even make sense, this game is supposed to be all about focusing on the story from the series is it not?  What does the above mentioned character even have to do with it . . .

Click here to see the scan revealing it

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2007, 04:25:17 AM »

Originally posted by: darkheart
I see how Namco is, they find out that no one likes their crappy spin off game no matter how much they show it off so they add (spoiler new character) Loyd from ToS in it to hopes that I would want to play their crappy game.  It does not even make sense, this game is supposed to be all about focusing on the story from the series is it not?  What does the above mentioned character even have to do with it . . .

Click here to see the scan revealing it

Man... he's uh... different than I remember.