Author Topic: Strap yourself in... FOR ADVENTURE!  (Read 5314 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Strap yourself in... FOR ADVENTURE!
« on: August 11, 2007, 07:43:34 PM »
For me personally, perhaps the greatest thing about the Nintendo DS is the fact that it has led to the resurrection of the adventure game. This genre died a humilitating death back in the nineties on the PC with an over-abundance of bad FMV acting and super obscure non-logical puzzles. Thanks to the DS I can once again play story driven games that don't involve boss battles.

Now, I'm not talking about "console style" adventure games (that trace their lineage back to The Legend of Zelda and Adventure for the Atari 2600.) Console adventure games always include a component of action whereas the pure adventure games I'm talking about have their roots in text adventures, like Zork, from the early days of the computer. With the standardization of the mouse, the point and click adventure game was born. Console adventure games share the common link with this genre of a non-linear game world and the lack of a dedicated jump button (or motion to be Politically correct.)

Looking at my small DS library, over half of my titles are pure adventure games, and this is an awesome fact. Here they are in chronological order:

Sprung

Now I now some of you are already squwaking that Sprung is a dating SIM and not an adventure game, but if you play the game it's obvious that it has the classic structure of a text adventure: go a direction, interact, solve the puzzle. I was a bit apprehensive about picking this game up, but I found for $10 at Fred Meyer and really got a kick out of it. The writing is surprisingly funny in a cheesy way and  the character art, while static, is decent. The plot stays tasteful for the most part, so you have nothing to fear if you're creeped out by Japanese virtual pervert games.

Trace Memory

CING mades its debut for most of us with this early DS adventure title. To be honest it's a little bland in presentation and dialog. Despite that their is fun to be had and you can feel the potential the developer has in store. Their next DS game totally delivered.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Who new a game about being a lawyer could be so much fun? Like many of the  games on this list the mechanics of the gameplay are super simple, but where Phoenix Wright shines is in the writing. Funny, touching and giving the player a real sense of sympathy for the characters, Phoenix Wright has not only some of the best writing of any DS game, but of any game period. If you don't have an adventure game in your DS library this is the one to get.

Touch Detective

A great little game by Atlus that can be hard to find but definitely worth picking up. A great art style and of all these titles it has game play that is most akin to the point and click Sierra games from the days of PC past.

Phoenix Wright: Justice for All

Phoenix and his cast are back for round two! The game play is near identical to the first title, but that's not a bad thing. I'm not finished playing this game yet, but I am enjoying it quite a bit so far. The writing really picks up on the third case.

Hotel Dusk Room 215

What a great game, it really feels like an interactive novel. The game has a unique art style that people often compare to the Aha "Take on Me" video and the writing and characters are much more developed in this second offering from CING. The protagonist Kyle Hyde is a memorable character that grounds the story.

So there we are. Did I miss any DS adventure games in my list? In the near future we have the third Phoenix Wright game coming down the pipe as well as Professor Layton. Although I'm not quite sure if Prof. Layton is an adventure game, RPG, or puzzle game.

I may add to this mega thread as future DS adventure games come along.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
RE:Strap yourself in... FOR ADVENTURE!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 09:34:27 PM »
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Strap yourself in... FOR ADVENTURE!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 02:53:18 AM »
Wow, I have none of these and two of them weren't even released here.

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 04:43:31 AM »
Good list. There's a port of Myst coming in the future, so that should attract more adventure fans to the system, and if it's ported well, it should really "show them how it's done."

From what I can tell, Prof. Layton has a plot, but is otherwise more of a collection of traditional logic puzzles, more along the lines of a "Big Brain Academy" than a real "adventure game." Still, it should appeal to the same sorts of gamers.

Also, ScummVM DS allows you to play classic LucasArts adventure games (and now Sierra AGI games as well, I believe) on the DS, using pretty much any DS homebrew device.  The ones I've tried have looked and played great.  ScummVM DS

Similarly, you can get old-school text adventures like Zork for the DS, which can be played using handwriting recognition (more like Grafiti for Palm devices than the intuitive Brain Age type, but still functional) or an onscreen keyboard. Check that out here.

Finally, there's a very, very long thread about this subject at AdventureGamers.com here.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 06:55:18 AM »
Thanks for the links LuigiHann, Sinking Island looks intriguing.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 09:58:44 AM »
I almost bought Touch Detective back then but I read pretty bad reviews about it and forgot about the idea.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 12:35:55 AM »
This is a very good thread! =) Touch Detective (or Mystery Detective if you pick up the Euro version) is very underrated. VERY. Stuff other reviews, listen to Infernal's review: it's good! It has things!

This is apparently out at the end of the month,

A port of the PC game I'd never even heard of before!

Also there's a CSI game a'comin'.. which will most likely be an adventure-ish type game!

Aaaaand Nancy Drew next month! GET EXCITED!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 12:54:32 AM »
I have all of those except Sprung, for obvious reasons...

I'll also be getting Phoenix Wright 3 and Touch Detective 2.5 when they come out...  (Those other games look kinda eh, particularly CSI, which I hate...)

"Touch Detective (or Mystery Detective if you pick up the Euro version) is very underrated. VERY. Stuff other reviews, listen to Infernal's review: it's good! It has things!

Listen to this man!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 01:10:50 AM »
CSI Dark Motives is a PC game port, too. The second PC game IIRC.

Not sure which iteration of Ankh that is, there are several Ankh games in stores each with a different subtitle.

Pick up the euro version of Touch Detective? Never seen that in stores.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 05:20:29 AM »
Thanks infernal, I'll have to get those games. Has anyone played Ankh or CSI on the PC?

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 05:25:58 AM »
The CSI games...usually not too good.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 06:05:54 AM »
My mom played CSI and kinda liked it, I'm not too sure since I only helped her a few times but they don't seem very good to me. They're a decent deal if you get that 3 games for 15€ deal or whatever but I wouldn't pay the full 40 for a DS game.

Worst part is that while all animation is FMV they couldn't even be bothered to film real people acting it out and instead opted for crappy CG.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 08:59:48 AM »
Hmmm, now I wonder if I should try to find Touch Detective at a good price...

edit: alright, I just got it on Ebay for 25 bucks, I trust you guys on this one!!
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 10:53:28 AM »
Click on everything and don't be afraid to throw logic out the window sometimes, Ghisy.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 11:14:50 AM »
Kk, will do...
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 04:53:15 PM »
/love my DS

So Ankh is an adventure title huh? Perhaps I should investigate more...

I'm stuck on the last case I think in Touch Detective. /sad I've been away from it so long, I think I'll have to use gamefaqs to move on. I know, I know, sacrilege, but otherwise I'll never finish the game! Touch detective is so... it's darkly charming and has a really dry and absurd sense of humor, but I really dig it!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 06:25:12 PM »
Yo Shyguy! You're still around!

Care updating this thread with boxart for Nancy Drew and the Deadly Secret of Olde World Park?

Oh wouldja look at that... some lucky NWR staffer reviewed it! What a great guy!

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 07:01:02 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

Care updating this thread with boxart for Nancy Drew and the Deadly Secret of Olde World Park?

When did Nancy Drew become Hillary Duff?
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 07:20:25 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Originally posted by: Kairon

When did Nancy Drew become Hillary Duff?

She's NOT Hillary Duff. She's Emma Roberts.

Hillary Duff WISHES she was Nancy Drew.

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 05:39:47 AM »
Myst DS sucks so much it hurts. My thoughts

The DS version of "Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle" seems pretty competent. When you hold the stylus against the screen, the game automatically zooms in, showing off the great art and allowing you to "hover" your cursor to find clickable objects. Great design, and I hope future DS adventures use it. a relatively uninformative game info page Doubly impressive that they managed to recreate a fairly recent PC game on the DS, when Midway couldn't properly port a 15-year-old one.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 07:41:37 AM »
Yeah, I'm looking to pre-order Runaway: The Dream of the turtle as soon as I can.