Author Topic: My Wii hates me  (Read 4696 times)

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
My Wii hates me
« on: December 02, 2007, 03:20:43 PM »
Some of you may remember me reporting some funny graphical glitches in my Wii a few months ago, which cleared themselves up overnight. Well I finally picked up Mario Galaxy today, pop it in my Wii, start playing, and lo and behold, there arestrange lines and blocks all over the screen. Sometimes they're harder to see than other times, but they're always there. I'd almost call them artifacts, like in a JPG, only scattered randomly about the screen as opposed to being clustered around objects. They're blocks and lines of discolored pixels, mostly red and green from what I can see, and they're never really in the same place all the time.

EDIT: Also clusters of darkly colored pixels, mostly in vertical lines, and very noticeable on the green of the grass.

EDIT2: Also they show up en masse on bright white scenes, such as when you first talk to Rosalina.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? A product of the GPU overheating, maybe?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: My Wii hates me
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 04:57:02 PM »
Yeah... that sounds like an actual GPU problem... yikes.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 05:16:43 PM »
The graphics in Mario Galaxy are too powerful for gamecube 1.5

Offline Freyr

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 07:28:41 PM »
I just sent my wii to nintendo on Nov 19 because of this problem. I got my system on launch and I first noticed it when the godfather game came out, it was highly noticable. My problem tho does not sound anywhere near as bad as your, as it did not effect my ability to play any games so I just left it alone, but now that I'm getting closer to the warranty expiring and i've beaten galaxy once, I sent it in for repairs.

I was on the phone with the support guy(nice old guy) for about 15 minutes and he e-mailed me a link to UPS, to get my shipment(free both ways) info. They got it on the 26 and shipped it back out on the 28 and I should get it back on Dec 4th. They are sending me a new wii because the serial number is different. I also get a new one year warranty start the day they ship it back. As long as there are no problems with it when I get it in the mail, nintendo has among the best costumer service, I have ever seen in the electronic field. I had to call back a second time because I forgot to ask a question and that person was also nice. If you have a old stand def TV, tell them that up front, it will save you a lot of questions. The 2 week turn around time is a little long but that is mostly UPS and they are most likely getting slammed right now.

As a person who builds computers instead of buying them premade, I've run into this problem before and it's a defect in the GPU or extreme overheating.  

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 07:51:59 PM »
I actually called about this and the messaging problem before. The guy said I should have gotten a call or an email, but I never did...

And I had to call before about my Wii not reading discs.

And before that because I had the bricking problem. I've never had this many problems with a Nintendo system. What gives?

I'm just hoping that I can still get this fixed for free even though it's out of warranty, since I got it at launch on Nov. 19th.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 08:00:24 PM »
Hey awesome, someone that's had as many problems with the Wii as me. We should get married!

Offline Freyr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 08:15:15 PM »
I also had a disc clicking read problem, mostly just happened with wii sports but it was random. Have not had a messaging or bricking problem. I registered my wii on nintendo's website, so I got a extra three month added onto my warranty for a total of 15 months.

Have you ever sent in your wii, or have you just called?

I called, talked to him for 15 minutes, he said it was covered and he would email me my UPS info. Got my UPS info in about 20 minutes and I took the wii to the UPS store, when I had to go out that day.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 08:50:06 PM »
I sent it in for the bricking problem and the disc reading problem. Mine wouldn't read any discs at all ever.

And I registered my Wii after I sent it in for the bricking problem, and it said I wasn't eligible for the three extra months of warranty.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Freyr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 08:55:35 PM »
Sense you sent it in before you should have gotten a new one year warranty, from the day they mailed it back. The extra three months is only for when you buy a new system not a repaired one as far as I know. You should ask when you call the help line.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 09:01:39 PM »
Yeah, I will. I just hope it'll be free. I'm going to be doing a $1100 computer upgrade in a week or two, I really can't afford anything else. x_x
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Freyr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 09:21:17 PM »
If it's under warranty, it should be free. If your getting a new CPU, I'd wait till Jan 08. Intel is replace almost their hole lineup with 45nm chips, which run much cooler and on avg have a much higher clock rate. Also the current king of video cards the 8800GT should be done to a sane price by then(around $230 instead of $260-$320). In Jan, I'm building a new computer from scratch and I can post what my current build will look like if you want.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 10:59:12 PM »
After waiting a while, watching the market, I began to realize that if I wait any longer, I'm never going to get it done. If I wait until January for the new Intel processors, then I'll say to myself "Well... Why don't I wait until February for the new GeForce 9 cards?" I've been doing that for months now, so I've decided to just go for it now, and whatever comes out that's better, I'll get down the road. I'm also skipping the 8800GT in favor of the new G92 8800GTS that's coming out on the 11th. Performance equal to (most games) or better than (Crysis at 1900x1200) the GTX for ~$200 less, and also draws less power and runs cooler.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 07:23:05 AM »
If your new high-end video card comes with a fan, you're hurting Mother Earth, and you're part of the reason why PS3 and Xbox 360 saw the light of day.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Freyr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 08:15:13 AM »
As it happens the two video card I am looking at do not come with a fan....
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3165
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=10484

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
RE:My Wii hates me
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 10:44:50 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
If your new high-end video card comes with a fan, you're hurting Mother Earth, and you're part of the reason why PS3 and Xbox 360 saw the light of day.

But I like the 360.

Also anyone else got any insight into the graphical issue?

EDIT: Never mind. Found this video, and this is exactly what I'm getting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdWnsw3Yckc

Guess I better call Nintendo and get it over with...
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 10:54:11 AM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey
Hey awesome, someone that's had as many problems with the Wii as me. We should get married!

You have my blessing.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 11:22:13 AM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey

I would think that couples with Wii problems aren't going to have a very fulfilling honeymoon.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 11:28:55 AM »
Awesome. I just found out my Wii warranty was extended in July from when I sent it in for not reading discs. They're sending me a shipping label and I can have my Wii out by tomorrow!
-Travis Touchdown

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 11:47:19 AM »
Oh, and oversized consumer-level add-on cards kill baby hippos.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Fred333

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 05:59:51 AM »
Very nice! Love when warranties are extended.
Love using my wireless headphones!

Offline Freyr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 12:47:06 PM »
I just got my wii back today. Everything seems to be good. They transfered all my saved data, setting, mail, and download account, sense they sent me a new unit. Oddly they did not transfer my VC or wiiware games, so I had to redownload those, which is not a big deal. I started to play Galaxy again currently at 185 stars and counting.

Overall I'm very happy with Nintendo's repair service, unlike most other electronic companies, I've dealt with. Be nice if it was not needed but it's there if there is a problem. Turn around time was two week on the dot, which is a little long but UPS was the main fault and odds are they are having a high load of traffic at the moment. It was only in nintendo's hands for two days.

Hey Professional 666 where did you get the mii icon.