Author Topic: Tales of Legendia?  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Tales of Legendia?
« on: April 11, 2004, 11:29:55 AM »
With the announcement of Tales of Rebirth and a Tales of Symphonia port for PS2, I was wondering if Namco still planned on releasing the Tales of Symphonia sequel on GC. The game was called Tales of Legendia I believe at it was announced after the strong sales of ToS on GC in Japan. Namco said before the release of Tales of Symphonia that they were expected worldwide sales of it and Baten Kaitos to 500,000 units per title. ToS has already sold over 300,000 units in Japan. I'm sure it won't have any problems selling at least as much between the US and European markets. I don't know how Baten Kaitos sold. I know it didn't sell as well as Tales of Symphonia. Could the sales of Baten Kaitos be the reason for the port of Tales of Symphonia? Or did Nintendo pulll and MS and get a limited exclusive deal? And most importantly, are we still getting Tales of Legendia? Whether we are or not I'm still buying both ToS and BK. Strong sales would defintately get Namco's attention.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Tales of Legendia?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 01:06:33 PM »
Well yeah we are.

Namco actually estimated 500 000 JUST for JApan. Now thats quite a lot for a gamecube game. But seeing how Nintendo loved the game so much ( It put them over sony for a week ) Im sure they bought an exclutivity deal for a period of time.

Baten Kaitos on the other hand flopped. It was supposed to sell around 110 000 or something in Japan but only made it to 80 000.

So in answer to your question yes, we are getting Legendia.
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
RE: Tales of Legendia?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 01:24:52 PM »
I've heard some people on other formus claiming that Legendia was just a hoax in the first place, and was never really official, which seems pretty tough to prove/disprove.

The only thing I can say is that The MagicBox said that Namco had announced it in Japan, and they seem to be pretty good about being on top of things over there.

Here's a PGC link saying Symphonia sold almost 200k in it's first week, and that Namco hoped to sell a half-million in total.

Here's a MagicBox link showing Symphonia as being ranked the #31 in all of Japan in the 2003 calendar year, having sold 311,473 units.

Here's another MagicBox link showing Tales of Destiny 2 as the #8 game in Japan in 2002, having sold 662,699 units.

If we go with 2002 fiscal year numbers, which cut off at the end of March, we cut out three months of time from when the game hadn't launched yet, and add three months of after-Christmas sales. This gives Destiny 2 an extra 171,208 units, giving them the rank of #6, with 833,877 total units sold.

That extra 171k units at the start of 2003 must have been at a discounted price or something, because it seems that it didn't help Destiny 2 crack the top 100 of calendar 2003, which seemed to bottom out with games that sold 130k units.

I haven't found any "fiscal year" numbers to apply to Symphonia yet, although the fiscal year for 2003 did end more than a week ago now.  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 03:46:23 PM »
Don't forget Tales of Symhonia got voted the number one game in 2003. That has to count for something...

Also Namco never registered the name 'Tales of Legendia', at least not that I know. So basically it's just a rumour.

Here are the names they did register:

Tales of Rebirth
Tales of Justice
Tales of Honesty
Tales of Tactics

They've just trademarked it though, so not all of them are going to be developed.

I don't know how they can do a sequel of it anyway, seeing I don't know the ending of it. I hope it's not one of those 'open' endings. I mean, both planets can't survive the ordeal can they? (Don't answer this! I was being rhetorical.) Maybe Bill can help us out. *calls for Bill*

EDIT: Oops, forgot Tales of Truthia  

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 04:56:01 PM »

I don't know how they can do a sequel of it anyway, seeing I don't know the ending of it. I hope it's not one of those 'open' endings. I mean, both planets can't survive the ordeal can they? (Don't answer this! I was being rhetorical.)

"Sequel" doesn't always mean "same planet".

Just that one game is set in the same... I guess we could call it "universe" as the other game.

(PS: I have no inside info about the games, so you don't have to worry about that being a spoiler.)
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 05:38:06 PM »
Eh?  Someone call for me? ^_^

Last I heard Tales of Legendia isn't a rumor(and Magicbox isn't a rumor mill anyway) and will feature GC/GBA connectivity with the GBA Tales that Namco is also working on...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 06:39:39 PM »
I am positive that TOS sold more then 311 000. Famitsu always had TOS selling few thousands less then it did.

Check Denkgies ( or however you spell it ) for a more accurate #.

P.s - I believe that Namco were happy with TOS sales.
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 11:57:24 AM »
With ToS being out now and taking up tons of my time. I have to wonder if any has heard any news on  ToL. It was supposed to be the GC follow up to ToS. Is it still coming out? I certainly hope so because ToS is gonna end up being my favorite RPG of this generation. I have to reserved final judgement until I've had it for a longer but I seriously doubt anything will change my mind at this point.

Darc Requiem

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 12:14:59 PM »
Nothing out of Namco's HQ as of yet...But I wouldn't expect to hear much of future Tales titles until Rebirth has been released...

(Oh, and the story only gets better and better...There's no possible way you can pull back your judgement... ^_^)

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 05:17:02 PM »
The Tales games seem like a perfect fit to me in the Gamecube collection. I am under the belief that the game was been selling VERY well in the U.S. so far ( at my store we ran out of 20 copies on the second day) and I only have my copy because I had to search stores for them. Nintendo knows that it needs a strong RPG series in Japan in order to do well (if you dont believe me look at MS ) and I was suprised that they didn't try to stop the port or the game or even Tales of Rebirth for the PS2.  
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 05:36:39 PM »
Tales of Rebirth isn't a game in the lines of Phantasia or Symphonia, meaning it's a standard RPG, a la Tales of Destiny, and not a game that involves the linear action aspect...So it doesn't really matter in that aspect...

And because of that, it seems that Ninty will be getting the action/rpg titles exclusively(time-delay or not), and that Sony will be getting the standard RPGs...The Legendia "rumor" even stated that Legendia for the GC/Rev would be using the linear action battle system, while Tales of Truthia(another PS2 game) would be using the standard turn-based format...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 05:37:44 PM »
Tales of Legendia has to be the most retarded name I've ever heard of.

And did everyone get banned or something, or is altering your identity slightly just a fad?
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 05:42:16 PM »
Tales of Legendia is a cool name... ;___;

And I had mine changed because I <3 Kratos with a passion! ^_^

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2004, 09:47:29 PM »
Wait...

The Playstation Tales games are turn-based? Screw that. Sony can keep those games.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 10:31:08 PM »
Isn't Tales of Rebirth sprite-based?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2004, 12:22:41 PM »
I've got nothing against the name. . . but Legendia is just the most retarded name I've ever heard.  It's like saying Epicia, or Storyia, or Mythia.  And Tales of Legendia just adds to the irony.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2004, 12:47:06 PM »

I've got nothing against the name. . but Legendia is just the most retarded name I've ever heard.

It looks like you DO have something against the name. ^_^;  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2004, 01:15:07 PM »
*smacks Hostile in the back of the head*

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2004, 01:50:21 PM »
Tales of Rebirth has 2D Sprites and 3D backgrounds if I recall correctly. How did ToS do on PS2, not in sales I mean the quality of the conversion. Outside of the overworld I'd have to think there would be a framerate reduction, or some scaling back of the games graphical quality.

Edit: Why does it say Happy Birthday Terminate under my avatar? WTF?

Darc Requiem  

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2004, 02:05:25 PM »
darc i have that same problem too....i say its the communists  
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2004, 02:55:11 PM »

It looks like you DO have something against the name. ^_^;

Oops. . . I'm pretty sure I meant to say "game". . .

Sorry Bill.  But y'know what I think would be good?  If they named the next one Tales of Taleia.

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2004, 03:01:28 PM »

How did ToS do on PS2, not in sales I mean the quality of the conversion. Outside of the overworld I'd have to think there would be a framerate reduction, or some scaling back of the games graphical quality.

It's not out in Japan yet, so I don't think anyone really knows.

It comes out in Japan on September 22, last I saw.
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2004, 06:43:17 PM »

Originally posted by: Urkel
Wait...

The Playstation Tales games are turn-based? Screw that. Sony can keep those games.

Not sure how you got this information, Tales currently has 4 games (Tales of Phantasia/destiny/eternia(destiny 2 in the states) and Symphonia)

Not a single one has been turn based, Every single one used the linear battle engine, cept for Symphonia, which used a 3d variant.

I don't know why they would randomly decide to make a turn based one now... it goes against the entire Tales Series.

Likewise, I'm not quite sure where the name Symphonia came from, tis never once mentioned in the game in any way/shape or form.

I would love a sequel though, it has some MAJOR shoes to fill though.  

oh.. and i was under the impression that the GBA tales game was simply yet another remake of Tales of Phantasia (Modified off of the playstation version).  I hope that ToS does well enough here that they think its a good idea to localize it.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2004, 06:49:27 PM »
Symphonia could be based off one of the underlying themes of the game...

Symphony -  Harmony, especially of sound or color.

The goal of the game is to breed harmony, so I guess it could be attributed to that...

Offline Polemistis

• Pirate Commando Elite Space Pirate Shocktrooper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2004, 07:28:09 PM »
I hope we get another Tales game, I just beat Symphonia and it was such an awsome game. I will even admit that(without spoiling anything) I did drop a tear at one point in the game.
Currently Playing: Kirby: Canvas Curse
Most Wanted: Next Cubed Zelda

What the hell? An Aezbit?!? PRESS L+R+B TO REBOOT SYSTEM!!