Author Topic: Nintendo Hires New Online Chief  (Read 8881 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
Nintendo Hires New Online Chief
« on: June 28, 2012, 11:47:16 AM »

The official title is "Senior VP of Network Business".

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30895

Nintendo has created and filled a new position titled Senior Vice President of Network Business. The man hired for the job is Duncan Orrell-Jones, a former Senior Vice President for Disney Interactive in Tokyo.

Orrell-Jones will be placed at the forefront of Nintendo's increasing online footprint, helping create a strategy for Nintendo of America's digital strategy. It is unclear if this is referring to both online gaming and also digital distribution.

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Hires New Online Chief
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 12:22:49 PM »
I at first misread the title as "Nintendo Hires New Online Chef"

Glad to see that Nintendo seems to be taking their online presence a bit more seriously.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 12:39:18 PM »
Nintendo is wise and having someone looking after this right from the get go, as opposed to a certain other company who didn't give a **** about consumer security and did nothing until hackers made off with millions of credit card numbers a year ago.
is your sanity...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 01:09:25 PM »
So does this mean we will finally have a coherent set of online technologies that developers can use and gamers can enjoy without conditions? The guy better have some balls too, last thing we want is some idiot too busy covering his own ass to do anything worthwhile, like online play and messaging.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 01:21:03 PM »
Personally think this is 2 years to late.  They should have had this type of position when the WiiU was still very formative and its companion handheld the 3DS.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ailingforale

• View Profile
    • The Video Game Backlog
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »
Better late than never then I guess... I'm crossing my fingers. 
I also read it as chef.  :)
TheVideoGameBacklog.com

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 05:02:38 PM »
I read it as Chef to initially.  That is sort of ironic.  Why would we association Chef being after the word Online?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 05:36:06 PM »
But is he a Master Chief?

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 08:09:21 PM »
I agree with Ceric. I read this as Nintendo having not actually solidified their online strategy for Wii U yet. Or if they have, it was done from a purely Japan-centric perspective over at NCL. Either way, that means there will be some serious problems.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 08:20:02 PM »
Hiring of this guy at this late stage + No online multiplayer for Pikmin 3 + No mention of Wii U online at all at E3 = Same old wonkified Nintendo online shenanigans for Wii U.

Hey, at least the 3DS allows you to save your credit card information.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 10:45:30 PM »
Perhaps this is way to pessimistic but I would not be surprised at all if the Wii U launches without it's eShop no matter what Nintendo is says. That they are hiring someone for a position like this now is worrisome. It's also really annoying because it's at the point where I'm just waiting for Nintendo to drop the ball. Not to see if they do but when they do. I'll be happy if I'm wrong but I'm prepared for and expect the worse to happen.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 11:48:05 AM »
Maybe they should have hired on an online chef afterall.

At least then Nintendo would be able to make a bloody risoto.  </ramsay>
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 12:34:26 PM »

At least then Nintendo would be able to make a Fucking risotto. It's RAW! </ramsay>

Fixed.

Have they hired any more network engineers and programmers? If they have, that's when the real change would be coming, not this dude.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 01:24:22 PM »
An Online Chef would be a great feature to include on the Wii U.

http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Trainer-Cooking-Nintendo-DS/dp/B001F62U4M/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1340990547&sr=8-11&keywords=ds+cooking

It could be kinda like this, except an online version and you could take your Wii U tablet into the kitchen and it would help you every step of the way.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 03:57:56 PM »

At least then Nintendo would be able to make a Fucking risotto. It's RAW! </ramsay>

Fixed.

Have they hired any more network engineers and programmers? If they have, that's when the real change would be coming, not this dude.
You know there Current online is awfully raw.

Offline Darthinuboy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
Doesn't surprise me. They need to focus on their new Nintendo Network in order to compete better with Microsoft and Sony. Only problem is for the Nintendo Network, there are things about it that errrkkss me. Makes me unexcited and complain. Hopefully this guy can attempt to enlighten Nintendo on what's wrong.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 05:03:12 PM »
They should have made Reggie the Online Chef. That way he would still be employed by Nintendo, but at the same time he would be in a position where he couldn't fudge things up too badly.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 05:22:10 PM »
They should have made Reggie the Online Chef. That way he would still be employed by Nintendo, but at the same time he would be in a position where he couldn't fudge things up too badly.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 05:37:07 PM »
I find it silly when people act like Reggie is doing a bad job. They cite some of things he has supposedly done wrong while ignoring all the of the things he's done right in nearly 10 years. Be careful what you wish for. One day Reggie won't be at Nintendo of America and maybe his successor will be better, maybe he/she will be worse. As it stands, Reggie is the best person to ever hold the positions of President and COO of Nintendo of America. The odds are stacked against the next person in line.

It reminds me of people who think they can run a professional sports team from their couches better than the actual people running those teams. I'm confident that those people yelling at their televisions/computer screens would do a significantly worse job, mostly because they have no idea what their talking about. For example, there are way too many people saying, "Trade Kobe Bryant" despite Bryant being a top 5 talent in the NBA that people buy tickets to see and more importantly, the fact that he has a no trade clause in his contract. Reggie has an extremely tough job. He's not just fucking with Nintendo's very passionate fanbase. He weighs his options and picks the soundest one. It's not easy to find someone who has done as good a job as Reggie has in the last 9 years. Not everyone is or can be Steve Jobs or Larry Ellison.

EDIT: Dammit, I should have just posted a hilarious gif.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 05:48:36 PM »
Who's Larry Ellison?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 06:15:43 PM »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 06:34:49 PM »
As it stands, Reggie is the best person to ever hold the positions of President and COO of Nintendo of America.

So you've never heard of Howard Lincoln?
is your sanity...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 08:28:43 PM »

(insert tag quote here)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 12:26:44 AM »
Who's Larry Ellison?
Larry Ellison
That was more of why would most people know that name sort of question.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 12:48:02 AM »
So you've never heard of Howard Lincoln?
He was the Chairman of Nintendo of America. I'm not really sure if Lincoln and Fils-Aime held similar positions, chairman vs. COO. Reggie specifically succeeded Tatsumi Kimishima as president on NOA (succeeding Minoru Arakawa who held that position for nearly 400 years). In any case, people give Reggie **** for not bringing the Operation Rainfall titles over. How many titles did Nintendo of America not bring over back in the 80s and 90s? The ENTIRE Fire Emblem series is a start...
That was more of why would most people know that name sort of question.
He's CEO and co-founder of Oracle, one of the largest and most powerful tech companies in the world. I'm sure many people know who he is even if you don't. Furthermore, I don't see why knowing who Larry Ellison is is any different than knowing who Satoru Iwata or Reggie Fils-Aime is.