Author Topic: Olimar Joins Brawl  (Read 7469 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Olimar Joins Brawl
« on: January 08, 2008, 06:03:45 PM »
The diminutive captain and his troupe of Pikmin have entered the fray.  Are even more new Smash Bros. characters on the way?
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=15072

King DeDeDe was the last new Smash Bros. character revealed on the game's official blog, but today's update finally has another: Captain Olimar from Nintendo's Pikmin series.  Of course, Olimar has a gang of Pikmin (one of each color, including white and purple) to aid him in combat.    

All we know so far about Olimar is that he has to manually pluck Pikmin from the ground during gameplay, and they don't live very long.  Without any Pikmin, Olimar can't even perform smash attacks.  The blog also notes that Pikmin tend to become scattered -- perhaps Olimar's trademark whistle can be used to call them?    

The initial revelation doesn't give many details about how Olimar will play, or what kinds of special moves he will bring to battle.  However, the blog usually follows up new character announcements with some of their special moves later in the week, so stay tuned for more information.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: Olimar Joins Brawl
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 06:10:51 PM »
Oh to the Emm to the Gee. Too bad the Smash Bros site is overloaded so I can't see pics.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 06:12:57 PM »
It's only on the Japanese version of the blog at the moment, and they are taking longer than normal to update the English one.  I'll add any new details to the article that may be revealed in the English text, but it looks to be a teaser sort of announcement, with real details on the character saved for later updates (probably this week).
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Olimar Joins Brawl
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 06:14:39 PM »
I don't see Ganondorf or Mega Man, so I'm still sad.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 06:19:18 PM »
Can we spend at least a day celebrating new and unexpected characters before going back to complaining about the ones that haven't been confirmed yet?
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 06:23:19 PM »
Oooh, they updated. Those pics look nice. Part of me is suprised that Olimar is normalish sized, but I guess it wouldn't work if he was 10 pixels high.  

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 06:29:31 PM »
How can Olimar possibly be in it? The previous smallest character was Pikachu at 1' 4''. Olimar is the size of a quarter, about 1''.  I know they changed heights around a bit to make them more even, but this will be too far (any of the characters could squish Olimar with just their hand).

I do think he should be in the game, but as an Assist Trophy.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 06:42:38 PM »
Sakurai is destroying Smash Brothers.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 06:49:49 PM »
So awesome.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »

Originally posted by: TJ Spyke
How can Olimar possibly be in it? The previous smallest character was Pikachu at 1' 4''. Olimar is the size of a quarter, about 1''.  I know they changed heights around a bit to make them more even, but this will be too far (any of the characters could squish Olimar with just their hand).

Well they are all trophies to begin with, not the actual characters, so them being of relative size is natural.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 06:54:46 PM »
I'm waiting for a Midway Cruis'n car to be revealed as the next 3rd party character.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 07:08:53 PM »

I do think he should be in the game, but as an Assist Trophy.

So who's your favorite character so I can nitpick reasons why they shouldn't be in the game?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 07:11:19 PM »

Thankfully, Sakurai and his team don't care about continuity.  The whole idea of Smash Bros. is about discontinuity -- facing off characters you would otherwise never see in the same game.  Mario fighting Sonic is more unlikely than Olimar changing size.  Besides, we don't even know for sure that Olimar landed on Earth.  The planet has Earth-style objects, but then Earth doesn't have Pikmin, does it?  So let's please avoid these lamentations on continuity and just enjoy the wackiness of the game.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 07:44:22 PM »
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot.

That is all.  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 08:05:28 PM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
Can we spend at least a day celebrating new and unexpected characters before going back to complaining about the ones that haven't been confirmed yet?

Word!

Even if I didn't care much for the character (just in case, I loved Pikmin and thought the characters were charming) I would still be happy as this is the first character reveal in MONTHS!

This update even opens a lot of doors towards discussion and speculation. Pikmin's icon is number 22, meaning that there can be more than 10 new franchises in Brawl. Finally, Capt. Olimar was one of the most requested characters in Japan and now he's finally in.

Could the rest of the most requested characters be in the final game?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 08:32:15 PM »
Sephiroth OMG
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 08:59:44 PM »
Johnny, wasn't it Nintendo themselves who said Olimar was the size of a quarter?

Arbok, I guess that sorta explains it since these are supposed to be trophies (or dolls in the original SSB game) coming alive and not the actual character (i.e. it's a trophy of Mario fighting and not Mario himself).

insanolord, Samus has always been my favorite. In SSBM I racked up more time/KOs with her than every other character combined.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 10:09:38 PM »
This game just gets better and larger every day, the final product is almost of too much magnitude to imagine. Win.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 02:48:43 AM »
IceCold beat me to it, but, w00t!
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Tigris Altaica

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 03:40:57 AM »
AWESOME! This is what i've been hoping for personally, not sonic. If they make another pikmin game all will be well with the universe.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 04:04:50 AM »
Any acknowledgement from Nintendo that Pikmin exists is a good thing.  I've wanted Olimar in Brawl from the get-go.

Though in the future it would be nice if NWR didn't reveal the character in the headline itself.  I'm trying not to know too much about Brawl beforehand.  In a way this is kind of a spoiler revealed on the front page where no one can avoid it.  Something like "New SSB Brawl character revealed" would have been a better headline and then everyone can choose whether or not they want to find out who it is.

Offline pSYCO-gAMER321

• my giant image signature is still kewl
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 05:22:10 AM »
This made me had to double check quite a few times. So... about less than 20 days before the actual game comes out in Japan...
This account is over 5 years old.  o.o
FC(JPN): 2781-3170-5058-4631
FC(USA): 4793-8665-4989-8838
SSBB(JPN) 3351-3351-3953

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 06:22:05 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Any acknowledgement from Nintendo that Pikmin exists is a good thing.  I've wanted Olimar in Brawl from the get-go.

Though in the future it would be nice if NWR didn't reveal the character in the headline itself.  I'm trying not to know too much about Brawl beforehand.  In a way this is kind of a spoiler revealed on the front page where no one can avoid it.  Something like "New SSB Brawl character revealed" would have been a better headline and then everyone can choose whether or not they want to find out who it is.

I wish I could have the willpower to do this.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 07:13:27 AM »
WICKED!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile