Author Topic: DS Virtual Console coming sooner than later?  (Read 8060 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
DS Virtual Console coming sooner than later?
« on: January 02, 2008, 02:16:24 PM »
 New York Times says that Reggie says:

Mr. Fils-Amie said that future DS device will be more tightly integrated with its Wii console. Complete games as well as game samplers will be able to be downloaded into the Wii using its broadband connection, and then transferred wirelessly to the DS.

Joystiq says:

AM3 and Dai Nippon Printing have partnered up to release the DSVision digital content platform for the Nintendo DS in Japan. The device -- which is officially licensed by Nintendo -- features a MicroSD flash card and a standard-sized DS card adapter.

What happens when you combine those two things?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:DS Virtual Console coming sooner than later?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 02:24:21 PM »
*thumbs chin*

My predictions are already coming true...on the wrong Nintendo console.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: DS Virtual Console coming sooner than later?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 02:52:34 PM »
GAME BOY MOLE MANIA

GIVE IT TO ME NINTENDO

AND KIRBY'S PINBALL LAND

THAT'D BE RAD

MY PANTS

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 03:37:36 PM »
I'd rather have a DS-native sequel to Kirby's Pinball Land than the original. Better yet, a remake that includes the original as an extra. Stupid virtual console...

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 04:43:01 PM »
I hope this means classic Gameboy, Color, Advance games for download. This would also allow the next DS whenever it comes out with on board and/or SD(HC perhaps?) expandable memory to be "fully" backwards compatible without the need for an extra port.

I wonder how their going to handle re-downloading DS games you have to pay for. What if there's a house with one Wii and 3 DS's do they all have to pay for 1 DS game? Or play it on only one DS or one game cart?

I also wonder if through the use of advertising, perhaps in the DS games section of the Wii Shop channel, could all the DS games be free and it wouldn't matter how many DS's downloaded the game through your particular Wii... if only the world worked in such a manner

edit: grammar
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
The Gamespot version of this story says that the first game to use this will be Professor Layton and it will let you download new puzzles to the game, which would be amazing if I couldn't already do that with Picross without the help of the Wii.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 06:10:06 PM »
So...does that imply hot swapping?
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 02:30:40 PM »
Maybe it'll be that the DS and the cart are written to each other and can't be used with another system. Also will it be like those 100 game carts? Old school! I hope there are GBC and GBA games, but also lots of upgrades for existing games. More tracks for Mario Kart, extra maps for Metroid and more items in Animal Crossing please.  
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 05:19:10 PM »
I hope it makes use of the Super Gameboy borders and color schemes which some of the later original Gameboy games had... those were awesome back in the day. I still regret letting a "friend" borrow my Super Gameboy adapter, and he still has it to this day. *angry face*
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 12:18:12 AM »
Super Game Boys go pretty cheap on eBay these days...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 01:50:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Chozo Ghost
I hope it makes use of the Super Gameboy borders and color schemes which some of the later original Gameboy games had... those were awesome back in the day. I still regret letting a "friend" borrow my Super Gameboy adapter, and he still has it to this day. *angry face*

i feel your pain.. a "friend" of mine also has my super gameboy adapter (before i ever got to use it in conjunction with my GB-camera sad...) as well as my original copy of megaman soccer. oh and another "friend" still has my favorite blue n64 controller as well as some games for it. the only one i can remember though is Flying Dragon. that game rocked. i miss it
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 04:54:05 AM »
Damn it, I want to play Gameboy games on the Wii not the DS.  I know that probably sounds crazy but I actually really hate playing any videogame on a portable.  The screen's all small and I hurt my neck looking down at the system and I tend to move controllers a bit during intense playing sessions and when the controller has the screen you're looking at attached to it that's going to make you dizzy.  Now I do have a Super Gameboy and a Gameboy Player so aside from DS games I already can play Nintendo portable games on a TV.  The rarity of certain old Gameboy games just makes it less convenient than the VC.  And I realize that most people probably would be content with console games on the Wii VC and portable games on the DS VC.

Though what would be really cool is one universal VC where you can transfer your games from the Wii to the DS.  The most advanced games on the VC are N64 games and the DS seems capable of handling those (control issues aside).  And even if N64 games didn't support it all the other consoles certainly could and the DS already has the right button layout.  Then you put Gameboy games on the VC and I can either play them (with Super Gameboy enhancements) on my Wii OR transfer them to my DS flash drive thingy and play them there.  And for security reasons they could always make the DS flash drive hold only one or two VC games at a time so you can't just pass them all off to your friends.  Though I know Nintendo will never do this.  Why?  Because it's a good idea of course!

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 05:49:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
 Though I know Nintendo will never do this.  Why?  Because it's a good idea of course!

HAH! Reading your post I was going to say "This will not happen, Nintendo."
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 10:00:18 AM »
Gamasutra is reporting that Nintendo of America says that the Times article is wrong and all we should expect are demos. The DSvision is a cool product that might never make it over to the states and therefore we would be missing out on a chunk of Wii and DS capabilities. Bad show- put it on the shelf with the DS Camera and the Slider.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16836
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 10:23:13 AM »
What? But I want face training! The DS Camera has GOT to make it over here! T_T
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 10:31:36 AM »
 I tried to delete this and replace it with my reply to Kairon. My bad. I'm a sucka.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 10:35:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
What? But I want face training! The DS Camera has GOT to make it over here! T_T

You'll just have to figure a better way to pretty that face up then. The camera should have been in stores for the Summer, but I found out some lame features about it and decided not to get it as an import. I don't even know if they'll make another game for the Slider. If any of those products make it to the states I'll be shocked.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 10:50:12 AM »
Really? what's wrong with the camera?

My face is just dandy already, but Face Training has always looked like the neatest gimmick ever, I really wanted to try it.

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 10:59:26 AM »
I was told in August that the camera is better than a cellphone, just as good as the PSP camera, but you cannot save the pictures you take except on the face training game. I opted out, at least with the Game Boy camera you could print. I still got stickers from that era!
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 11:02:41 AM »
Lol. I never got the GameBoy Camera (or Printer), so maybe I'm missing out...

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 11:10:40 AM »
The function of the DS camera was just to play Face Training, I can imagine that not going over well here in the US where everyone has a camera in their pocket also there is no printer nor a connector of any kind. The holistic aspect of Face Training is completely unheard of in our culture. But really, if you want to play it you should just go and get it if you can.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 11:49:39 AM »
But... I'm broke... T_T

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 02:33:47 PM »

Originally posted by: TheFleece
Gamasutra is reporting that Nintendo of America says that the Times article is wrong and all we should expect are demos. The DSvision is a cool product that might never make it over to the states and therefore we would be missing out on a chunk of Wii and DS capabilities. Bad show- put it on the shelf with the DS Camera and the Slider.

Woah there... Easy now tiger.  You have to read what Nintendo is actually saying.

the Nintendo DS will be able to receive demo versions of some DS games from Wii, but not the entire game. The demo will be erased once the Nintendo DS is turned off.

The quote directly says that full versions of DS games will not be available.  I'm sure they carefully worded that statement.

Not saying we'll get a DS VC anytime soon (or at all).  Just sayin'...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 02:57:31 AM »
This is NOA we are talking about they are th last to take initiative.  If  it wasn' a corporate thing we probably not have the VC even.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 03:25:11 AM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob

Originally posted by: TheFleece

Woah there... Easy now tiger.  You have to read what Nintendo is actually saying.

the Nintendo DS will be able to receive demo versions of some DS games from Wii, but not the entire game. The demo will be erased once the Nintendo DS is turned off.

The quote directly says that full versions of DS games will not be available.  I'm sure they carefully worded that statement.

Not saying we'll get a DS VC anytime soon (or at all).  Just sayin'...

Alright, but let's be straight and admit that Full DS games are out of the question now, what would be coming- if it were coming to the states would be Game Boy and Game Boy Advanced games on the VC. The product description for the DSvision lists watching movies, reading comics and more. I don't see the DSvision coming here because of those capabilities and that is messed up. We all read comics or watch movies and would take advantage of its availability on the DS, I would be real excited if the DSvision came to the US, but considering the fact that most of the media available for the DSvision will be manga and anime related franchises the chances of it being released in the US are slim.
So with demos being available soon I have this to say: I live close to the Nintendo World in New York and there haven't been many new demos for the DS in a long time. It's all stuff that has been out for a long time already, the best thing you can download now is Ninja Gaiden, do that and then be prepared to wait eight months for something else.
Also the DSvision site is up! http://www.dsvision.jp/
Handhelds at Heart
---